Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've used this type for a number of years: Luxureal Reusable Makeup Remover Pads, 20 Packs Washable Bamboo Cotton Pads with Mesh Laundry Bag for All Skin Types https://amzn.eu/d/iOOWj9N

Have tried loads of others but only like tge fleece style ones...they dry super quick.

I use a zipped bag in the washing machine to wash

I use reusable bamboo pads to take my nail polish off. Tried them for my face but couldn’t get the makeup stains out so I’ve just kept them for my nails.
Tinted my brows earlier and left it on a bit too long but I kinda like them a bit darker. Mr moon called them slugs 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I have reusable cotton pads, they are very thick and fluffy, by Jemako. They are nice if you want to lather the face or if you want to take makeup off, but they absorb a ton of product. Wouldn’t use them for toner or miscellar water.
I put them in a little washing bag and wash with my usual towel load. I never use softener, so no issue for me, but it did say on the box to avoid it. But it also says that on all towels anyway, because they get less absorbent.

Hi all, not read the whole thread yet but just found it and I love spending time thinking about and reading things like this. (Being vacuous and shallow is my relief from a stressful day job!)
For me, being groomed and polished day to day is important to me. The best thing i read is that if you feel like you’re presented and dressed well, you can forget about it and get on with doing your best that day. I know personally if I feel a bit, well scruffy or less than how I’d like to look, I just can’t focus on anything else!
By no means am I super glam either. And at home i definitely look more of a slob 😂

I do think having good quality clothes in good materials that last and look expensive (not necessarily expensive) is key. And I tend to spend a bit more on clothing. Mid range - high end high street mostly. I have a budget for clothes each month but try to buy classic pieces. And if something is a bit out of that months budget I set the money aside to pay for it with the next months budget included. I also tend to ask for specific items or vouchers for Christmas and birthdays so that I can acquire what I know I will love/keep (hello Rachel Green - friends fans know).

Otherwise things I try to do to help me feel well put together are:
- have clean healthy hair. I tend to get a colour and cut every 3-4 months and as I don’t have any real greys yet this lasts. I’m also trying Glaze Super conditioning gloss at the moment too to put me on longer.
- have clean healthy skin - I stick to a skincare routine and find if I don’t wear heavy make up my skin tends to remain pretty good.
- plan each week and day so I know what I need to do and what I need to be appropriately dressed for (to a point)
- I have routines I stick to. Such as a general morning routine and weekly gym routine, daily and weekly beauty routines (so it’s easy to get what I need to done day to day and it’s almost thoughtless now)
- stick to a classic signature style. The new trend for “quiet luxury” is my taste. I like classic colours, maybe an interesting piece of jewellery and tend to stick with a formula for dressing. This way I know what I like when shopping but also what I’m likely to wear.
- keep my nails and the little details nice. My nails aren’t always “done” - I’m not a huge fan of the shellac/gel/Biab all the time as I hate the way it affects my nails. But even when natural I keep them neat and usually a layer of Dior nail glow on top.
Brows are also massively important! My non-negotiable to have done every month!
- keeping my space neat and clean

Basically that’s me. Looking forward to reading tips here and getting ideas/sharing ideas. I’m currently pregnant (hi @CallMeHollywood from the pregnancy thread!) and struggling a bit with clothes due to growing bump. I keep seeing items I like and then have to remind myself I can’t buy them atm as I won’t fit them for a while and don’t know what my body shape will be post baby! Trying to consider more shoes and accessories right now to update my wardrobe where needed :)

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Ladies what are your go to date night? Going on a date on Friday and it’s been so long since I’ve made an effort.

Reactions: 2
Ladies what are your go to date night? Going on a date on Friday and it’s been so long since I’ve made an effort.
For me it would be jeans, blouse or stylish top and jacket either a leather or a blazer style one and some comfortable heels. Good luck with your date x

i’m wondering if anyone in here can offer me some advice, i’ve recently started a new job that’s full-time working from home 9-5, i’m struggling to keep myself feeling motivated to get up and get ready each morning but i really want to feel put together, just seeing if anyone might’ve been in the same boat or has any tips/tricks on how to try and keep on top of feeling put together and ready for each day, as i feel like it’s getting to a point where i’m just rolling out of bed and working in my pyjamas

• Heart
Reactions: 5
i’m wondering if anyone in here can offer me some advice, i’ve recently started a new job that’s full-time working from home 9-5, i’m struggling to keep myself feeling motivated to get up and get ready each morning but i really want to feel put together, just seeing if anyone might’ve been in the same boat or has any tips/tricks on how to try and keep on top of feeling put together and ready for each day, as i feel like it’s getting to a point where i’m just rolling out of bed and working in my pyjamas
It took me a long time to get used to working from home and finding the routine that worked for me but the things I’ve found that helped:
- exercise in the morning - I can’t just roll out of bed and start work, I feel groggy and like I’m literally just working all day. If I exercise in the morning (even though that means losing a couple of hours of sleep) I feel super refreshed and ready for the day, plus I sleep better in the evenings.
- drinking 750mls of water before I start work - it’s just a good habit to get in to and gets me on track for drinking enough water.
- I always do my brows, I don’t necessarily have a full face of make up for working from home, but I will neaten/fill my brows to feel a bit more put together.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
For me it’s all about how to minimise what I have to do in the morning otherwise like you said I just don’t bother.

I use a light face tanner once a week or so, which gives me enough of a glow without makeup.

tint my eyebrows at home once a month, same as above it means I look more polished without makeup. I also try to get my eyebrows shaped every 6-8 weeks as I think it helps my overall appearance.

some simple jewellery even a plain pair of studs help.

Overall it just helps me feel put together. Also keeping a tidy workspace when WFH, don’t need to see my ironing or dishes, it distracts me.

One thing I want to add to my routine is to learn an easy up do (like a neat bun) that I can do quickly in the morning, still a work in progress on that one but I find TikTok helpful for suggestions

Reactions: 7
If you are just recently wfh, have a slobby honeymoon period. Eventually you start to put on a bit of makeup, style hair etc. It’s a novelty, not having to bother but you get through it.

Reactions: 8
Does anyone use those reusable make up remover pads?

I use 5 cotton pads (the big ones) a da -two to take off tubing mascara, two for cleanser and one for toner. Or sometimes just micellar water.

I am looking to get reusable ones but I would need about 35 for a week’s worth! I would be washing them with normal washing. Some of them say no softener but I will not be doing a special wash just for them and I use softener in my regular load.

And the drying bothers me. Loads of pads lying around flat.

I have a feeling that disposable ones will be phased out. I used to buy in Wilkos (RIP) and failing that Primark (the only thing apart from trainer socks that I buy in there). However Primark have discontinued them for sustainability reasons. (Don’t make me laugh, they started the rot for disposable fashion. I digress.)

Does anyone use them, which make, how do you wash n dry?
I tried them before and found them scratchy and not very good. I’d highly recommend Superdrug’s studio face microfibre towels. I rinse with hot water and soap if I’m using multiple products in a row. They wash well and stay very soft. Also I find my toner works better if I pat it on, and it means you use less!

Reactions: 1
Does anyone know how I find the old threads ? I can’t find the link for them that’s usually available and there’s no link to the previous thread at the start of this one that I can see ?

Hi all, not read the whole thread yet but just found it and I love spending time thinking about and reading things like this. (Being vacuous and shallow is my relief from a stressful day job!)
For me, being groomed and polished day to day is important to me. The best thing i read is that if you feel like you’re presented and dressed well, you can forget about it and get on with doing your best that day. I know personally if I feel a bit, well scruffy or less than how I’d like to look, I just can’t focus on anything else!
By no means am I super glam either. And at home i definitely look more of a slob 😂

I do think having good quality clothes in good materials that last and look expensive (not necessarily expensive) is key. And I tend to spend a bit more on clothing. Mid range - high end high street mostly. I have a budget for clothes each month but try to buy classic pieces. And if something is a bit out of that months budget I set the money aside to pay for it with the next months budget included. I also tend to ask for specific items or vouchers for Christmas and birthdays so that I can acquire what I know I will love/keep (hello Rachel Green - friends fans know).

Otherwise things I try to do to help me feel well put together are:
- have clean healthy hair. I tend to get a colour and cut every 3-4 months and as I don’t have any real greys yet this lasts. I’m also trying Glaze Super conditioning gloss at the moment too to put me on longer.
- have clean healthy skin - I stick to a skincare routine and find if I don’t wear heavy make up my skin tends to remain pretty good.
- plan each week and day so I know what I need to do and what I need to be appropriately dressed for (to a point)
- I have routines I stick to. Such as a general morning routine and weekly gym routine, daily and weekly beauty routines (so it’s easy to get what I need to done day to day and it’s almost thoughtless now)
- stick to a classic signature style. The new trend for “quiet luxury” is my taste. I like classic colours, maybe an interesting piece of jewellery and tend to stick with a formula for dressing. This way I know what I like when shopping but also what I’m likely to wear.
- keep my nails and the little details nice. My nails aren’t always “done” - I’m not a huge fan of the shellac/gel/Biab all the time as I hate the way it affects my nails. But even when natural I keep them neat and usually a layer of Dior nail glow on top.
Brows are also massively important! My non-negotiable to have done every month!
- keeping my space neat and clean

Basically that’s me. Looking forward to reading tips here and getting ideas/sharing ideas. I’m currently pregnant (hi @CallMeHollywood from the pregnancy thread!) and struggling a bit with clothes due to growing bump. I keep seeing items I like and then have to remind myself I can’t buy them atm as I won’t fit them for a while and don’t know what my body shape will be post baby! Trying to consider more shoes and accessories right now to update my wardrobe where needed :)
Welcome duck! This is my fave thread (apart from the preggo one obvz) and it’s super helpful. I found many useful products here, including UKLash, which I can’t wait to start using again once baby Hollywood has arrived.

I second the advice you do something active before you log on in the morning. I go for a 30-min walk most mornings and it’s done wonders for making me feel better both physically and mentally. I try and put some make up most days, even if just a touch of foundation and do my brows as it makes me feel like I’ve made an effort. I have lots of teams meetings most days so tend to wear smart- ish top/ jumper with jeans/loggers. I’m lucky that my ‘office’ is in the spare room but my tip is regardless of where in the house you work from to try and create a definite ‘end of the day’ ritual, like go for a walk/ bath/ exercise to help define your work and spare time.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Love products like the Dior Nail Glow @wishiniwasskinny ! I stopped getting shellac a while ago and find the sheer glow really helps enhance my natural nail. I've recently picked up one from nails Inc from Superdrug to try (called The 'Glowing my way glow-enhancing nail perfector polish' per their website - what a mouthful!) Shall report back to tattle if I like it.
---
Congrats on the new job!

It probably is a bit like being a school kid again but I find planning what I'm going to wear (even if it is just a comfy knit set to WFH) the night before really helps. On that note, I definitely think getting some knit sets (H&M always has a few if you don't want to spend much) to wear - they'll feel like PJs but look just a bit smarter on a Teams or Zoom call.

I echo the others re getting outside before work. For a walk or even just to drink a cup of tea or coffee or whatever. In the winter sometimes I just open some windows if I am being lazy. The fresh air always helps me in the morning (even if it is still dark!)

Also some drops of fake tan in your moisturiser (Tan Luxe and Isle of Paradise both do this sort of product) could help you look a bit more put together even if you don't put any other makeup on. Especially in the winter months it helps me look a bit less blah with just a spot of glow!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I haven’t got much more to add than others have already shared but I would also say is, in terms of keeping motivated, keep the space were you are working somewhere you want to be. The room where I work, I put my favourite candles, some really nice pictures up etc. I also bought nice stationary/bits for my desk. Nothing expensive or overly fancy.

Reactions: 5
Been WFH for a few years now. I've found that these things work for me:

Do not work in PJs. Get changed into something else, even if it's joggers and a t-shirt. Makes me feel more human.
Always have a nice shower and maybe do some skincare before work.
Have a nice healthy breakfast since you probably have more time now.
Try to get some exercise in- I sometimes go for a walk at lunchtime and I run on some evenings anyway.
Keep your office space tidy and seperate from the rest of the house (if possible). Crack a window open every once in a while.

Reactions: 14
Been WFH for a few years now. I've found that these things work for me:

Do not work in PJs. Get changed into something else, even if it's joggers and a t-shirt. Makes me feel more human.
Always have a nice shower and maybe do some skincare before work.
Have a nice healthy breakfast since you probably have more time now.
Try to get some exercise in- I sometimes go for a walk at lunchtime and I run on some evenings anyway.
Keep your office space tidy and seperate from the rest of the house (if possible). Crack a window open every once in a while.

+1 to all of the above. I've been working exclusively from home since 2020 and occasionally before that. As tempting as it may be, don't work in your PJs - and I would extend that to also not work in yoga pants or anything else that you would wear normally only in a non-work setting. I get that it's comfy, but I always put on jeans. Nobody will see them, but it's my work uniform. So all in all, I get showered, dressed and do my hair and a bit of skincare and make-up the same as if I went to an office, I just don't leave the house.

Some people like it better to take a walk in the morning as a "commute" to settle in for the day. Or grab a coffee outside the house to feel a bit more connected to actual humans and not just a screen. Definitely do try to get outside at least once a day to transition between work mode and just being at home mode.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.