Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Hi all, not read the whole thread yet but just found it and I love spending time thinking about and reading things like this. (Being vacuous and shallow is my relief from a stressful day job!)
For me, being groomed and polished day to day is important to me. The best thing i read is that if you feel like you’re presented and dressed well, you can forget about it and get on with doing your best that day. I know personally if I feel a bit, well scruffy or less than how I’d like to look, I just can’t focus on anything else!
By no means am I super glam either. And at home i definitely look more of a slob 😂

I do think having good quality clothes in good materials that last and look expensive (not necessarily expensive) is key. And I tend to spend a bit more on clothing. Mid range - high end high street mostly. I have a budget for clothes each month but try to buy classic pieces. And if something is a bit out of that months budget I set the money aside to pay for it with the next months budget included. I also tend to ask for specific items or vouchers for Christmas and birthdays so that I can acquire what I know I will love/keep (hello Rachel Green - friends fans know).

Otherwise things I try to do to help me feel well put together are:
- have clean healthy hair. I tend to get a colour and cut every 3-4 months and as I don’t have any real greys yet this lasts. I’m also trying Glaze Super conditioning gloss at the moment too to put me on longer.
- have clean healthy skin - I stick to a skincare routine and find if I don’t wear heavy make up my skin tends to remain pretty good.
- plan each week and day so I know what I need to do and what I need to be appropriately dressed for (to a point)
- I have routines I stick to. Such as a general morning routine and weekly gym routine, daily and weekly beauty routines (so it’s easy to get what I need to done day to day and it’s almost thoughtless now)
- stick to a classic signature style. The new trend for “quiet luxury” is my taste. I like classic colours, maybe an interesting piece of jewellery and tend to stick with a formula for dressing. This way I know what I like when shopping but also what I’m likely to wear.
- keep my nails and the little details nice. My nails aren’t always “done” - I’m not a huge fan of the shellac/gel/Biab all the time as I hate the way it affects my nails. But even when natural I keep them neat and usually a layer of Dior nail glow on top.
Brows are also massively important! My non-negotiable to have done every month!
- keeping my space neat and clean

Basically that’s me. Looking forward to reading tips here and getting ideas/sharing ideas. I’m currently pregnant (hi @CallMeHollywood from the pregnancy thread!) and struggling a bit with clothes due to growing bump. I keep seeing items I like and then have to remind myself I can’t buy them atm as I won’t fit them for a while and don’t know what my body shape will be post baby! Trying to consider more shoes and accessories right now to update my wardrobe where needed :)

• Heart
Reactions: 35

adviseplz

VIP Member
Hey guys! Just some advice please…I have a friends wedding coming up in March where I need to wear a bridesmaid dress. I bought the dress in 2 sizes, my normal size (12) and the size down (10). Ive been trying to lose weight recently, but it’s slowed down lately because of my birthday, holidays, etc.

Both the 12 and the 10 fit but the 10 is really tight, especially when I’m sat. It still zips up though. Should I keep the 10 as motivation to lose weight by March? I reckon I’d need to lose about 6-8 pounds for it to be comfortable. Or just keep the 12? If I do lose weight though, the 12 might end up being loose (I wish 🤣). Thank you girls x
I've been in similar situation and I found it so stressful trying to lose the weight. I ended up getting really disheartened and depressed about myself with it all and found the lead up to the wedding awful because I wasn't enjoying it for my friend (as I was fixated on this dress situation) and because I didn't feel comfortable in the dress, I didn't feel as great as much as I could have on the day.

So, personally, I would go for the 12. That way you know that you'll be fully comfortable on the day and enjoy the lead up as much as possible. But if you do lose weight you can always get the dress taken in closer to the time and it'll fit perfectly 👌

I'm not saying this to discourage you. You're someone totally different from me and it sounds like you're already losing weight which is amazing, so you might not have any issue with a few more pounds.. but I just wanted to offer my perspective/experience.

• Heart
Reactions: 30

Silverback

VIP Member
Dudes I have to spill this out somewhere and I’ve chosen here. Apologies.

I suffer from body dysmorphia and I’m so distracted by it lately that I don’t know how to deal with it. My hair bothers me so much- it’s naturally curly but I feel that it looks ugly in its natural state. It’s so curly though that it won’t go straight. I try having a fringe but it goes curly at the slightest hint of damp. I constantly fret that I look hideous. I keep faffing with my hair trying this and that and am convinced I look bloody awful constantly.

I don’t know how to deal with all this. It’s taken over my entire brain. I just got out a photo album to flip through and found a picture of me aged 5 with my hair all curly and I know it sounds daft but I don’t want to let that little girl down. She looks cute- why do I hate my appearance so much? (I know why- my family,but that’s a whole other story.).

Anyway. Sorry for the derail. Just needed to say it somewhere because it’s really hard to articulate this in real life.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

gossipgirl59

VIP Member
I've been in similar situation and I found it so stressful trying to lose the weight. I ended up getting really disheartened and depressed about myself with it all and found the lead up to the wedding awful because I wasn't enjoying it for my friend (as I was fixated on this dress situation) and because I didn't feel comfortable in the dress, I didn't feel as great as much as I could have on the day.

So, personally, I would go for the 12. That way you know that you'll be fully comfortable on the day and enjoy the lead up as much as possible. But if you do lose weight you can always get the dress taken in closer to the time and it'll fit perfectly 👌

I'm not saying this to discourage you. You're someone totally different from me and it sounds like you're already losing weight which is amazing, so you might not have any issue with a few more pounds.. but I just wanted to offer my perspective/experience.
I agree, better to have a too big dress than a too tight one. If it’s too big you can always get the dress tailored closer to the date

• Heart
Reactions: 23

doodlebug

VIP Member
So the trainee was only doing my hair treatment and washing my hair - but if that’s not done right the whole thing will look shit as I have curly hair and am having it bone straight.

My stylist finally got here at 11:30. She didn’t even say hi to me let alone an apology. Absolute joke. I will 100% have to ask for my own discount if she can’t even apologise/explain. I need to leave a bad review but it’s just annoying to now have to find a new salon cos I did like the results last time.

EDIT: Thanks for the support all! Much appreciated. I’m just going to say that I’m not paying full price at the end and if I’m feeling brave I’ll mention that she didn’t even apologise/explain which is the most basic courtesy. (Last time they made me take the backing off of my own tapes lol) I’m going to refuse this time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

doodlebug

VIP Member
Thanks for all the love guys but you’re going to be horrified at the outcome 😳 Thankfully all the trainee ended up doing was washing my hair and putting on a treatment.

The stylist who was late did the other girl’s hair for 15 minutes before she returned to finish mine. (But I’ve been here three times now and that’s generally how it goes. They always are swapping in and out of different clients).

So she finishes my hair and it did turn out really nice but then there’s this long silence while she’s on her phone. She doesn’t say anything for ages. So then I’m like I will have to bring it up. I say how I’m entitled to a discount as I was left waiting for an hour and before I could finish my sentence she’s like “well obviously, I was going to anyway”. She was clearly not going to bother if I didn’t say anything. In the end she was just like “there’s X left to pay” (I’d paid a deposit online when I booked). So based on what I’d already paid the discount was £20!!! £20!!!

I hesitated paying and what I really wanted to do was get her to verbally confirm that the discount was just a mere 20 quid. But when I brought up the discount earlier and she just started talking over me I knew it was going to be fucking awkward and I am way too much of an introvert to kick up a fuss. I just paid and left. I know you all told me to walk out earlier, but I’d already paid a deposit, I had wet hair and this is my only free time for an appointment, so I knew I was just going to follow through. I’m going to leave a scathing review though.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
That’s an amazing idea, thank you guys! I actually might keep the 12 just because I tried them on again and there’s more room around the bust with the 12, and the 10 shows way too much boob for me. I can always get it adjusted around the waist if I lose more weight (my aunt is a seamstress).

The last thing I want is to get to the wedding and the 10 is too tight and I’m uncomfortable all day. It’s not the end of the world, I can always repurchase the size 10 later down the line if I lose too much weight (🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼)

Reactions: 20

adviseplz

VIP Member
@adviseplz thank you so much for that, I can't wait for the wardrobe part!

That sounds a great idea, a proper consultation is the way to go. I had just added some new random makeup to my basket last night but I'm going to wait now and get some advice. The next few weeks will be a good time as I've got a new dressing table on order so I've to clear the drawer of the one I have which is full of makeup that I don't use.

Does anyone have an issue with 'pilling' with their base? Anyone know why this happens? Thank you
Glad you found that useful! Sounds like a great time to book something, if you're having a clear-out too. Let us know how you get on!

So the wardrobe.... sorry in advance, this is going to be super long!

Again I'm in a total funk with my clothes. I've put on weight, and I feel uncomfortable and unhappy with my body because nothing fits properly or looks good. Whenever I ordered something online it wouldn't fit or look good so I would send it back, feeling deflated and wondering why I wasn't looking like the model did (answer: because I am not a model 😂 and you can't photoshop IRL) So I just decided I wanted someone to tell me what would look good and do some shopping for me.

I booked in for a JL personal shopping thing. Obviously limited to what they have in store but I told the stylist what kind of 'vibe' I was after and we went round and picked out loads of stuff on the shop floor to try on... this was super fun.

What then wasn't as fun (at first) was the actual trying on, because a lot of what I picked out was the right size or fit, so I was just quite uncomfortable in what we had picked out.

She then basically did some sort of magic of measuring of my body, and from there worked out what the longest and shortest parts of my body are so was able to suggest styles that would actually look good. This completely changed my outlook on clothing - it was like a lightbulb. Not all clothes are made for all body shapes/types. If something doesn't suit me, or fit me, then it's just not made for me and that's ok.

So I learnt that v-neck tops look better, as opposed to crew necks - and I always wondered why I never looked good or felt comfortable in a crew neck t-shirt! The types of dresses I should be going for, where it needs to be cutting me off etc. We didn't have time to do trousers, so I'll be going back for that.

She also very briefly 'did my colours' - basically said what season she thinks I am (not properly analysed me). I have never understood or cared about the whole 'season/colours' thing but that, along with working out my shape was totally invaluable. I just feel I can shop more intelligently now.. if that makes sense? and because of that I'm buying less stuff, which is a win for the bank account.

I want to flag though that I think this might depend on what stylist you get though, rather than it being a John Lewis thing. You can choose who you want when you book, based on their description. Although my stylist didn't mention anything about shapes/colours.

So to that point... I would suggest it's more valuable to invest in someone who can analyse your shape and colours, if you're looking for a big wardrobe revamp. Or finding out how to do it yourself online.

But if you're not having similar issues to what I mentioned at the start, or want to give it a go yourself first (as it is a free service) then I'd recommend it - it was really fun and I felt super empowered afterwards. Or, if you're looking for an occasion outfit - like a date night, or holiday, or wedding etc then it would be perfect for that.

I did come away thinking that the effort needs to be put in by me, to make myself feel great... You know, elevate the every day. Like today, I did my make up put on a nice dress and jewellery.... even though I'm working from home alone with no meetings planned.. but I feel so much better and more myself.

And with the appointment.. whilst they say there's no obligation to buy anything, at the end it was kind of like ‘what do you want’ (I guess because I was enthusiastic about what I was wearing and it’s like... you are shopping) so I did feel like I had to buy and she was encouraging me to get a few more peices than what I wanted. In the end, I returned everything that I bought because it was a lot and when I was home I didn't love what I got, as it was more dressy pieces rather than everyday and thats what I desperately needed in my wardrobe. I should have directed her more in the appointment, but I was fine with that as JL is on the higher end of my budget 😂

I also did a bra fit, but wouldn't recommend this as it eats into the overall appointment time and I would have preferred more time on the clothes. But definitely do this separately... the Boob or Bust method or go to a Bravissimo. I've done the boob or bust method, so I wanted to see if the bra fitter would put me in the same, but she didn't.

Sorry this is a super long message, and probably quite rambly but I hope it makes sense and helps in some way?! xxxxx

Last edited:
  • Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Guys I got invisalign this year, and it was the best thing I’ve ever done 😭 my teeth weren’t even bad before but suddenly everyone is complimenting me on my teeth and saying “you always look so much happier?!!” But it’s because I’m smiling so much more.

This is a picture of my teeth currently, I haven’t even finished my treatment yet and I have free whitening at the end. I highly recommend it, especially with Black Friday deals coming up

Attachments

• Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
This is everything I got in the Sephora haircare favourites box!! 😍😍😍 all for £49…such a good deal, especially if you want to try out a bunch of new haircare but don’t want to buy full sizes/spend loads

IMG_5855.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 19

doodlebug

VIP Member
Omg she did my hair for about 20 minutes before she went to do someone else’s….I am speechless.

• Wow
Reactions: 18

House of Tea

VIP Member
The problem with jeans is you have to try loads on to get an optimum fit. But now the lack of physical shops stops the trying on process. What are you going to do, set up a spreadsheet and order three pairs, perhaps in different sizes. Wait for your refunds and then try again? No wonder leggings are everywhere.

Reactions: 18

House of Tea

VIP Member
I’m really not bothered about getting gifts anymore. I’d rather buy things I want/need for myself as and when I want/need the things than have other people buy them for me. I really don’t want random tat from more distant family members. I once tried to get people in the family to donate to a homelessness charity instead of giving me a present but they did both which was obviously so generous but it’s like…. spend more money donating to charity than me? I really really didn’t want the presents. It was honestly ok that I wasn’t going to have things to open on Christmas Day. Sure if I was a 5 year old or something, that would be really sad. It’s not sad when you’re 35 and privileged in ever way that matters.
I am over Xmas. I will eat the turkey, admire the twinkly lights, play some carols on low as background music. But I can’t stand the excess, the rush to spend money on shite, the fake adverts on Xmas with the happy smiley families, the protracted run up to it.

Reactions: 17

adviseplz

VIP Member
---
I need some serious help!

I'm mid (almost past mid) 40's stay at home mum with kids not really needing me anymore as much 😭

I look so dated, well not dated but basic if you know what I mean. I have my lashes/nails/hair done regularly but everything else is hit and miss.

Make up needs an overhaul/wardrobe needs an update/hairstyling needs a change/skincare is desperate.

Where do I start? I feel like I'm really starting to look my age. Husband and I are starting to do weekends away and date night more often and I want to make an effort for us both but I'm not sure where to start!
I just had a ‘make up master class’ at spacenk and it was brilliant!
Similar to what you’ve said, I need an overhaul as my makeup was just awful (I’ll get to the wardrobe..)

She took me step by step through what would suit my face and skin tone and how to do it. Like, how to do contour, eye shadow, placement etc.

I wanted something super natural for the day, like my face.. but better. So she did that on one half, and the other half showed me other products that I might like (e.g a Matt bronzer on one side, more shimmery on the other so I could see which I prefer) but showed me how to do it slightly heavier for an evening look.

It was £45 which was fully redeemable against anything I bought. I went in knowing I was running out of a few of things, so I knew I would use that - as I was looking for recommendations anyway.. if that makes sense? (I actually ended up spending more than the £45 with a list of what she used so I can some other products come pay day 😂) but there wasn’t any pressure to buy more than the £45 worth of product.

I would definitely recommend it and it was so much fun having a play around with make up for an hour.

Just to be aware, in case you or anyone else is interested, when I booked it they said they aren’t doing weekends in the lead up to Christmas so it’s just weekdays (but that might not be a problem from what you said). But also it could actually make a good thing to pop on your Christmas wish list!

When I booked my appointment, they said they would also talk to me about skincare. I’m pretty happy and confident with my skincare, and the hour went Quickly so I don’t know how she would’ve had time to cover that as well, but it might be good for you to know that that’s an option too. Otherwise, (and loads of people in this thread may have better recommendations) but I would say start at The Ordinary as there products are cheap and they actually work. They have a regime generator, so it’s not too overwhelming.They usually have a discount running through November too!

Wardrobe…. It’s late and tattle is shite on my phone but I did a John Lewis consultation a few weeks ago. I’ll write out my thoughts tomorrow for you!

Can you tell I’m trying to get out of my funk too 🙈

Last edited:
  • Heart

Silverback

VIP Member
Thank you all for being so lovely. I did my hair like this in the end today:

IMG_0650.png

mine has less volume but the style is the same. I saved some pics of various people with this hairstyle on my phone so if I have a freak out I can refer to them and go ‘it’s ok, don’t worry, this is a very normal haircut to have! You don’t look awful!’.

sorry for derailing, everyone.

By the way, if anyone knows of a super moisturising red lipstick then please let me know- booked somewhere posh for dinner on Christmas Eve and I’m hoping to wear something sequinned and silver with a red lip. My lips are dry as fuck though so it needs to be hella moisturising.

• Heart

petalpetal5381

Chatty Member
Whoever recommended Bravissimo bra fitting- thank you! Turns out I needed 3 cup sizes up and one back size down! It makes such a difference overall in how I look. The lady was lovely too, and all in all it was a great experience!

• Heart
Reactions: 16

AlwaysSummer

i’m wondering if anyone in here can offer me some advice, i’ve recently started a new job that’s full-time working from home 9-5, i’m struggling to keep myself feeling motivated to get up and get ready each morning but i really want to feel put together, just seeing if anyone might’ve been in the same boat or has any tips/tricks on how to try and keep on top of feeling put together and ready for each day, as i feel like it’s getting to a point where i’m just rolling out of bed and working in my pyjamas
I second the advice you do something active before you log on in the morning. I go for a 30-min walk most mornings and it’s done wonders for making me feel better both physically and mentally. I try and put some make up most days, even if just a touch of foundation and do my brows as it makes me feel like I’ve made an effort. I have lots of teams meetings most days so tend to wear smart- ish top/ jumper with jeans/loggers. I’m lucky that my ‘office’ is in the spare room but my tip is regardless of where in the house you work from to try and create a definite ‘end of the day’ ritual, like go for a walk/ bath/ exercise to help define your work and spare time.

• Heart
Reactions: 16