Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Glad you found that useful! Sounds like a great time to book something, if you're having a clear-out too. Let us know how you get on!

So the wardrobe.... sorry in advance, this is going to be super long!

Again I'm in a total funk with my clothes. I've put on weight, and I feel uncomfortable and unhappy with my body because nothing fits properly or looks good. Whenever I ordered something online it wouldn't fit or look good so I would send it back, feeling deflated and wondering why I wasn't looking like the model did (answer: because I am not a model 😂 and you can't photoshop IRL) So I just decided I wanted someone to tell me what would look good and do some shopping for me.

I booked in for a JL personal shopping thing. Obviously limited to what they have in store but I told the stylist what kind of 'vibe' I was after and we went round and picked out loads of stuff on the shop floor to try on... this was super fun.

What then wasn't as fun (at first) was the actual trying on, because a lot of what I picked out was the right size or fit, so I was just quite uncomfortable in what we had picked out.

She then basically did some sort of magic of measuring of my body, and from there worked out what the longest and shortest parts of my body are so was able to suggest styles that would actually look good. This completely changed my outlook on clothing - it was like a lightbulb. Not all clothes are made for all body shapes/types. If something doesn't suit me, or fit me, then it's just not made for me and that's ok.

So I learnt that v-neck tops look better, as opposed to crew necks - and I always wondered why I never looked good or felt comfortable in a crew neck t-shirt! The types of dresses I should be going for, where it needs to be cutting me off etc. We didn't have time to do trousers, so I'll be going back for that.

She also very briefly 'did my colours' - basically said what season she thinks I am (not properly analysed me). I have never understood or cared about the whole 'season/colours' thing but that, along with working out my shape was totally invaluable. I just feel I can shop more intelligently now.. if that makes sense? and because of that I'm buying less stuff, which is a win for the bank account.

I want to flag though that I think this might depend on what stylist you get though, rather than it being a John Lewis thing. You can choose who you want when you book, based on their description. Although my stylist didn't mention anything about shapes/colours.

So to that point... I would suggest it's more valuable to invest in someone who can analyse your shape and colours, if you're looking for a big wardrobe revamp. Or finding out how to do it yourself online.

But if you're not having similar issues to what I mentioned at the start, or want to give it a go yourself first (as it is a free service) then I'd recommend it - it was really fun and I felt super empowered afterwards. Or, if you're looking for an occasion outfit - like a date night, or holiday, or wedding etc then it would be perfect for that.

I did come away thinking that the effort needs to be put in by me, to make myself feel great... You know, elevate the every day. Like today, I did my make up put on a nice dress and jewellery.... even though I'm working from home alone with no meetings planned.. but I feel so much better and more myself.

And with the appointment.. whilst they say there's no obligation to buy anything, at the end it was kind of like ‘what do you want’ (I guess because I was enthusiastic about what I was wearing and it’s like... you are shopping) so I did feel like I had to buy and she was encouraging me to get a few more peices than what I wanted. In the end, I returned everything that I bought because it was a lot and when I was home I didn't love what I got, as it was more dressy pieces rather than everyday and thats what I desperately needed in my wardrobe. I should have directed her more in the appointment, but I was fine with that as JL is on the higher end of my budget 😂

I also did a bra fit, but wouldn't recommend this as it eats into the overall appointment time and I would have preferred more time on the clothes. But definitely do this separately... the Boob or Bust method or go to a Bravissimo. I've done the boob or bust method, so I wanted to see if the bra fitter would put me in the same, but she didn't.

Sorry this is a super long message, and probably quite rambly but I hope it makes sense and helps in some way?! xxxxx
I loved this! Something for me to consider. And strangely something came up on my You Tube feed today about famous people who are bright winters wearing the correct and incorrect colours. It was really interesting seeing how the beige ethic isn't for everyone and the difference a bright lipstick or outfit can make.
Probably explains why I look so washed out with my make up as I always suspected I was a bright winter and my none bitchy friends are always nagging me to wear bright colours.
Here's the video in case you're interested:-

ETA ......off to buy a bright lipstick 💄😄

Reactions: 5

Brewtime87

Chatty Member
Apologies in advance for how off topic this probably is, but I'm sick of having uncomfortable restless nights sleeps and waking up feeling achy and sluggish because of my pillows. I feel like I buy new ones every year but soon enough they go flat and mishapen no matter how much I try to plump them.
So can anyone recommend really good, plump, cloud-like pillows?!

Tanne1999

VIP Member
I’m sorry if this has already been asked, but I’m interested in people’s experiences of skin+me? I see so many ads etc online but unsure how much is paid marketing vs actual experiences
I tried it. It went all flaky and crumbly under my makeup every time I used it, dried my skin out massively, and is overpriced for what it is tbh.

The ‘tailored for you’ is bullshit as well. My friend and I had the exact same formula despite her having bad exema and acne, and my skin being oily (at the time).

dee_mc

VIP Member
The L'Occitaine almond shower oil is gorgeous to use and the scent lasts (on my skin anyway).
I've just stocked up on night cream, CeraVe cleansers on 3for2, tampons, shampoo, wax strips and boring supplements etc in order to boost my Boots advantage card points. €10 worth of points for every €70 you spend instore and online over the weekend.

mindlessness

VIP Member
What are your style staples that always make you feel polished and put together? Can be clothes, shoes, makeup, hair styles, anything 🙃
Clean hair, clean and tidy nails, shaved legs (even if it's winter and they're hidden :LOL:), brows and lashes tinted, whitened teeth, and lol this sounds so silly but a good mood. I always feel more put together if I am in a good mood.

• Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I’m interested in this colours thing because I can tell I look like death in beige and camel, and better in pinks and cream. How do people figure all the colours out for sure though?
My mum was definitely a summer She looked good in soft colours especially pinks and creams, but she always went for winter colours as she liked the dramatic! Trouble is they really aged her. I being a winter (I think) loved the colours that suited mum but they made me look blah! We always want what we can't have. 😄

JSquared

VIP Member
Right all, it’s payday and I want to buy myself something nice. Max £50ish, I’m preggo so everything is a struggle/angering me at the moment, love a cosy vibe. Can be edible, wearable, whatever. Thoughts would be appreciated 😊
I’ve enjoyed a good pedicure/foot massage during pregnancy - especially towards the end when my feet have been swollen/bit achey.
And I usually hate my feet being touched!

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
I am in desperate need of some good quality, thick leggings - in any colour apart from black! It’s all I currently live in 🤣 I was thinking a nice neutral/dark beige/brown to go with my cream/khaki coat and clothes. I don’t want cotton, but the gym-style poly material. Any ideas of brands please?! Fed up of being sent to the same few websites 🤦🏻‍♀️
Is it on here that the brand Lovell (?) gets a lot of ❤

• Heart

Spider12

VIP Member
Has anyone has Seventy hyal injections before? I wanted to have Profhilo but it is so expensive. My aesthetic lady said she isn't supposed to say but Seventy hyal is exactly the same just cheaper. I'm booked in for my first round next week 💉 Wondering if anyone's had it and had good resultsView attachment 2540824View attachment 2540825
I’ve had it! It stings like a bitch when they inject it into your skin but omg it’s worth it. My skin glowed for at least 6-8 weeks. I’m getting it again soon when I get my Botox top up. Double the glow 😂
---
The lady who does it does loads of skin boosters but she said the hyal is the most popular

• Heart

Codiaeum

VIP Member
I've booked an appointment at a new hairdresser in a little under two weeks and according to their homepage, it'll be the most expensive cut I've ever gotten at 60€ (wash, cut, dry).

I went a couple of times to a woman I quite liked, but I felt a little pressured into buying a committing to coming in more often. I typically cut my hair only two or three times a year, I enjoy having it at different lengths and being able to do things with it when it has grown out a little, but didn't feel I could explain that. I also didn't like the way she cut my fringe, I do a better job myself.
Then went to a very plain-looking salon, thinking that if it didn't look flashy but had great reviews, the man must know his work. Very outdated inside, but I thought I mustn't judge. The guy got the appointment time wrong, but then still took me on. The haircut wasn't bad at all, but I was put off by the constant chat with another guy about how much better people without university education are, because they know how to work. I had told him what I do for a living and he even asked me how to get into that job, hence me explaining what I studied :rolleyes: then got charged a bit more than indicated at the beginning because I have so much hair. So despite the good cut, I'm not going back.

Lola Ruby

Decided to splurge and get the Ouai fine hair shampoo to sort out my hopeless hair. I've just been using cheap shampoos, basically whatever's on offer recently but think the cheap stuff just isn't for my hair.

So annoying that I've read really good reviews about it on one website and bad reviews on another 🤦‍♀️ I'll just have to see for myself. Has anyone tried it?

• Heart

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
loving my apple watch even more now i've got different straps to switch out! was going to ask for a silver milanese one for xmas with them being like £100 from apple, but tkmaxx have ones that look identical for £8 so i've ended up with a watch band wardrobe for around £30! definitely makes me feel more elevated with a metal strap rather than a sporty rubber one.

also really enjoyed doing my own gel nails after getting a mylee kit last year. definitely a learning curve but again makes me a lot more confident about my stubby hands and my nails are so much longer/stronger and protected. this years addition will hopefully be an electric nail file to help take the gel off!

Johnson1901

VIP Member
Deffo get some cargos. I wear them everyday for work and I love them!! 😂 fyi, I’m nearly 42 and couldn’t give a rats ass if people think I’m too old for certain things.

In regards to what to wear as I don’t wear jeans; I tend to wear tracksuits it out and about but not all sport branded ones, I have some from boohoo, asos and primark also.

I also wear paper bag or high waisted trousers that give your waist some shape but I have ones which tend to have a fold or gathering around the pooch area of my stomach so it effectively hides it.
Linen trousers also but I wear winter tights under them on cold days
Skirts with thick tights and boots or skater/smock/tea dresses with tights
Jumper dresses or hoodie dresses with tights or leggings

I usually wear vest tops with a cardigan with my trousers and skirts or a nice cropped jumper, oh and I do have some M&S bodysuits (my fave)
But I’ve just brought some oversized checked shirts and I need to style those

Deffo can wear trainers with leggings and they go nicely

Also jazz up your outfit with a nice big scarf, hat, or nice coat plus a lovely bag to compliment your outfit

I’ve had some shaper vest tops from a company called Conturve and you don’t need a bra with them which is a bonus

• Heart

Kikidoyouloveme

Ladies, Adanola hoodies! What is the trick I'm missing!
I’ve spent a fortune on them over the years & stumbled across sisters and seekers who BLOW them out the water ! I think the adanolas wash and dry really stiff and hard & aren’t soft or slouchy , but the S&s ones …soft , slouchy, big sleeves , weighty hood …wash really well
( even survived a tumble dryer husband error ) adanola would have had no chance ! Don’t sleep on sisters & seekers , you won’t be disappointed 💜

AlwaysSummer

@adviseplz thank you so much for that, I can't wait for the wardrobe part!

That sounds a great idea, a proper consultation is the way to go. I had just added some new random makeup to my basket last night but I'm going to wait now and get some advice. The next few weeks will be a good time as I've got a new dressing table on order so I've to clear the drawer of the one I have which is full of makeup that I don't use.

Does anyone have an issue with 'pilling' with their base? Anyone know why this happens? Thank you
Base pilling is usually down to the skincare used underneath. As a very broad rule of thumb if you mix oil-based with silicone/water-based products, you might experience it. Worth experimenting with switching up the skincare under your base and see if that resolves the issue.

• Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I've had some odd hairdressing appointments in my time, I think it's just the culture of the salon you go to. There was one place that would chop inches off when you asked for a light trim. They also had a dog wandering about the place and staff were getting their hair done at the same time as taking clients. Another place I went to for years as a teenager used to have the staff complaining about other salons and gossiping. They would also be on their phone while they were doing your hair and make you wait for an hour after your appointment time. At another, more expensive salon, I got told my hair was straight when it's actually curly :unsure:

The place I go to now are much more professional and they're great at dealing with things like hair loss, scalp conditions etc.
I could never understand why I couldn't grow long hair until I got to my current stylist where it has magically grown long. 🙄
She won't let you go around looking a sight, though. She'll always tell you if it won't look good, but she tries to let you have what you want. Within reason of course. 😄