Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Summer2011

Chatty Member
Does anyone have recommendations for shops with good quality stuff but that's also trendy and clothes that look hot, not frumpy? 😅 I'm fed up with cheap looking stuff from standard high street shops, boohoo etc but also like wearing crop tops, Bodycon stuff, things that don't necessarily have to be very modest. Seems like it's so hard to find in between clothes, it's either cheap shit from shein or frumpy clothes
Deffo M&S it’s absolutely one of my favourites at the minute. I also really rate mango knitwear. It’s underwear that I struggle with, I struggle with parting with the money but also find a lot of bras so uncomfortable!

Reactions: 7

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I'm doing the unthinkable and am doing a BIG wardrobe clear out. After many years of pregnancy, trying to conceive and post partum body between kids. I'm having kids & our family is complete am I trying to get my style and mojo back. Hair, tan, body care & nails I'm happy with. It's clothes. Does anyone have any Instagram or YouTube accounts for fashionable but practical clothes?? I want to look well but also practical, like something I could wear to brunch with the girls but also playground/coffee?
For a capsule wardrobe

I think these clients had the same lifestyle - if I've picked the wrong ones just look in the Body Shape Masterclass playlist and you'll find what you want

And this lady has good tips

• Heart

petalpetal5381

Chatty Member
As you know I’ve been struggling with my self esteem and self care! I’ve booked a hair consultation for a few weeks time, just to go through some options. I’m enquiring about laser hair removal for my chin and neck. As silly as this sounds (I love to tick off a list!) I’m going to have a daily, weekly, monthly to do list for my self care routines etc! I was in an abusive relationship for most of my younger years 17-28 and I’m wondering if I need to look at having some therapy to deal with how I feel about myself due to this relationship! I just feel awful as I now have a wonderful husband who tries so hard to make me feel a million dollars and this must be so draining for him! 😭
I’d definitely recommend therapy! If you can afford it, go private! Then you can find someone to suit you. I paid £50 a week but it was soo worth it. You can look on the BPS website to find psychologists who are recommended by them 💜 it will be hard the first few sessions, but then you’ll actually look forward to going! I actually miss it sometimes! 😄

• Heart

houseofhoop

VIP Member
Pissed off with hats today! I really want a straw sun hat for my holiday, tried loads on in different styles and they all make me look like a right twat. I’ve done a face shape finder online and I have an oval face apparently which should suit fedora style and I have an average sized head, I have measured it haha! They all seem to either perch on the top of my head or drop so low that I could tuck my ears in, I even have this problem with baseball caps, I must have some wierd mekon shape head or something😡
I have a small head so I have this problem…
Try these hats:
Or I get kids hats (as long as they look appropriate!!)
I have a fedora that was meant for boys but fits me perfectly!
Here it is
8EA4B7A5-9DE6-43A6-BB51-2FF993B1BB67.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart

Happy35

I have decided to join a local gym mostly for swimming. (I have knee replacements and a bad back)
But I hate getting my hair wet as I have lots of highlights and lowlights that absorb pool chemicals and go yellow.
My hair is not quite shoulder length but very thick.
Would I look stupid in a swimming cap, and can anyone suggest one that would be easy to wear ( I have quite a large head and a lot of hair)
I think a lot of people wear swimming caps now and you can get them for long and thick hair, they are shaped so all of your hair goes on top of your head

Reactions: 6

BWGossip

Chatty Member
Thanks for the nail polish recommendations! Part of me want to buy them all but the boring reasonable side says to only buy one 🙄 I may buy a few Essence and/or Catrice too as the online shop sell them (can't find them in shops usually here), if anyone has favs from them too, I'm all ears.

At the start of January I started oiling my ends everyday (one drop of The Ordinary squalane oil for a shoulder length haircut) : it's honestly very good, ends are healthier, no dryness, but without getting my roots dirty. It also doesn't give my hair the weird texture that oils with silicone usually give. Helps with frizzyness too. I started using a hair mask once per week and it helps too (no particular brand, just one without silicone, atm it's a garnier one)

• Heart

Ruby’s mum

VIP Member
Bit of a rogue one here, but I'm going to Wales at the end of the month to walk Snowdon with Mr Mog - what clothing do I wear to walk a mountain? 😂😂 I have some hiking shoes already, but I'm unsure on layers / trousers and no one I know (female wise) has done the walk !!
Love you all <3
Layers. I’m a keen hiker and at this time of year I wear a thermal or merino tee shirt with a lightweight long sleeved top and a fleece jumper. In my rucksack I carry a lightweight but warm puffer type jacket and waterproof. I wear either leggings or walking trousers, never jeans as they are awful if they get wet. Spare socks are a good idea and hat and gloves as the weather can change rapidly on the hills. Have a great trip!

• Heart

xbxbx

Chatty Member
My iron and b12 as well as thyroid and ferritin got checked and all were fine.
---

It's both lengths and forehead

This is my hair now
View attachment 2916345

This is how sparse my hairline is at the top

View attachment 2916350

View attachment 2916352

This is my hair before
I get hair loss when my cortisol levels are high. Although I do have PCOS and hypothyroidism, the hair loss seems to happen when my cortisol levels have been high for at least a few days in a row. I’ve never had an official test for cortisol (if there even is one, but trial and error and chats with GPs/nurses led me to the self diagnosis conclusion!

The main things I do are make sure I have a healthy breakfast (Greek yoghurt with fresh fruit and nuts) and no caffeine on an empty stomach. When I first started doing this it did take a little while to notice a difference while my body got used to it, but what a huge improvement it made to my hair amongst other things. I used to be a ‘no breakfast and live off coffee until 12pm’ kind of person😅

Lola Ruby

I'm turning 35 this month too, feels like a bigger birthday than 30 to me if I'm honest. I got Botox for the first time 2 weeks ago! I think we are in the same head space 😅
Yes!! Like I had mixed feelings about turning 30, but in the end I was quite looking forward to it and it wasn't a big deal, just felt like an extension of my twenties. Turning 35 has literally been keeping me up at night (omg I sound pathetic) 🙈 but it's all the mixed emotions about looking/feeling older, my life in general ATM - am I as far along in life as I should be, being on the fence about having kids etc etc... Ugh.

• Heart

LifeOfMog

VIP Member
Can anyone please recommend a light daily SPF for combination skin? Maybe psychological but I only really like clear gel moisturiser as I always find creams leave my face oily 🫠
I little be on the spenny side, but I have combination skin and I really love the La Roche Pose one, and find it's the only one that doesn't feel like sun cream as such xx

• Heart

penpitstop

Wanting to replace my cheap rubbish earrings with some nice sterling silver ones. I only really wear studs but wouldn't mind small hoops. Can anyone recommend any brands?
Over the last few years I have bought all my earrings from Carat London. I think it’s really good quality and looks more expensive than what they are. I recently bought some baby hoops which i can even sleep in (which I’ve never been able to do)

avabella

VIP Member
I’ve always had ridiculously strong hair, I’ve been bleaching it for at least 12 years (maybe 3x a year max) & I’ve used GHDs for over half of my life (I’m a 90s straight hair gal) however I’ve started to go grey so needing to do it more. I went to a new hairdressers just after lockdown and seen her twice - I’ve since returned to my original hairdresser but I was bought an airwrap a year ago. In the last year my hair has completely snapped and I have no idea what’s caused it, or how I can help it.
I haven’t had much heat on it at all - I don’t straighten it the way I used too, I don’t rate the dyson so I’ve used it a handful of times. To be honest this is probably the least I’ve done my hair in my whole life and it’s in the worst condition, does that even make sense? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to prevent the breakage.
What age are you? Sounds like could possibly be a hormone related issue.

not_influenced

VIP Member
I’ve been struggling with low moods and have just had a balayage done and have promised myself to make some time for myself and pamper myself every now and then to try and help. I follow these threads and find them so useful as tbh my confidence is so low I could really do with advice on looking/ feeling better!
Can anyone recommend a decent dry shampoo? I’m a postie so I find my hair tends to get greasy quickly but I’m really trying to cut down how often I wash my hair. Also I was looking at heatless curls if anyone could recommend a set too? I think i could do with new straighteners but conscious of using less heat.
I've only recently really invested time and money in my hair.

Id suggest good quality shampoos- bumble & bumble, colour wow, Avenda, oplex. They're expensive but I'm only using them once a week and the shine is incredible.

Try and train your hair, I did this during COVID and it was a game changer. I now wash my hair once a week. Day 1 it's straight, day 2-4 overnight curls, day 5 pony tail/up. Day 6 - hair mask and sleek bun - to that's left in for day/night until i wash it next day.

Overnight curls I got the one from LF for £12.99. I watched a few different tutorials on them to find the look I was hoping for. For me I need styling/setting spray when they are being done & I also use mousse as part of hair routine for grip/texture. When I take them out just lightly spray with hair spray. I love them & love the bouncy blow-dry effect.

• Heart

penpitstop

L
Has anyone used skin and me and had good results? I'm really struggling with my skin ATM and have been since having a baby 11 months ago. I get really bad acne in my jaw line, chin etc. I currently use Cerave blemish face wash, the ordinary salicylic acid, the ordinary niacinamide then weleda skin food light. Ive been really consistent with this skin care routine and it's not really cleared uo much at all.
i hate skin and me, it totally ruined my barrier and their customer service is terrible. Like many others suggested I would maybe use less skin specific products and just stick to gentle ones. I maybe would also ditch the weleda-although it’s really good for skin barrier it might be a bit rich especially if you have oily skin. I can only use very light moisturisers (mostly gel based) as most moisturisers are too rich for my skin and give me ache round the jaw line too!

• Heart

xoxogossip_girl

VIP Member
Bit of a strange one, but while getting my eyebrows done last night I commented to the therapist that I feel like they're really bushy and what can be done about it. She said normally just trim them but it wouldn't work with mine as my eyebrow hairs grow in a downward direction opposed to upwards like normal. Is there anything I can do about that?! She also mentioned that if it grew upwards it would lift my eye area which is something I'm desperate to do, as I feel like that's the one part of my face that has changed over the last few years (I'm 36) and it does get me down how my eye area doesn't look as big or open eyed as it used to.
Yeah they should have recommended lamination to you. I get mine laminated every few months and love it. Get yourself a brow oil or serum as it does dry your brows out. They can trim your brows as part of the lamination also.

Just looking for some advice fashion wise. I’m a plus size (16-18uk) and going on an abroad hen do. Tend to do lots of city breaks where this will be more beach/pool side, any recs were to get nice outfits that won’t break the bank?
I’m larger than you (18-20) but I have some great summer holiday dresses from H&M and SHEIN, it used to be a bit easier to search by fabric type but you can get linen, viscose and cotton stuff from them amongst the sea of frightfully sweaty polyester stuff. I’ve just bought some fab pull on viscose trousers from H&M, they have pockets and come in a tonne of colours. I have some shorts and linen trousers from ‘You Know Who’s’ which sells dead stock from other brands. I also search eBay for bits and pieces, too!

Chub rub is a perpetual problem for me, and whilst the Snag tights chub rub shorts were great in the UK, their being nylon/polyester when I was in a hot country was disastrous for me. So I bought these boxer short things from Step One which are made of natural fibres. They do ride up a bit where the snag ones don’t but they don’t rip my skin to shreds when I get sweaty in plastic-based fabrics!

• Heart