Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really want to switch to a cup but I've always struggled getting them in! I think I need to just block out some time where I can go at it 😭

I've tried quite a few different natural deodorants and never loved any of them but I've recently been using the Life Supplies one and it's been the best, finally I feel properly fresh!

Not to sound like an influencer but I think this might get you £10 off x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Any tips on creating a useful summer wardrobe that you'll rewear...every year when I get mine out only 10% of it is stuff I actually like and want to wear, the rest is weird/boho/colourful tat that isn't even in my style. Its like I have a style personality transplant each year. My usual style is quite classic so not sure what happens to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
For anyone considering natural deodorants - I really recommend AKT. Packaging is crap, but product is brill, particularly love the orange one (can’t remember the name of the scent) but it’s fab

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Any tips on creating a useful summer wardrobe that you'll rewear...every year when I get mine out only 10% of it is stuff I actually like and want to wear, the rest is weird/boho/colourful tat that isn't even in my style. Its like I have a style personality transplant each year. My usual style is quite classic so not sure what happens to me.
Choosing classic neutral colours like navy, white, khaki. These can then be jazzed up with pops of colour. A lovely orange, or yellow, different hues of pink (like with khaki). I like stripes too - classic, summery and stylish.

Do you like anyone who is in the public eye's style? Perhaps emulate someone's wardrobe you admire?

• Heart
I really messed up my eyebrows last year so there’s been some hits and misses with the makeup over the last few months as I attempted to cover up the horror of it while they recovered. I have a really dark, wiry, old man monobrow so my approach has been to let the areas around the reaming brow recover whilst still maintaining order elsewhere. It’s been a more gradual expanding of what was there but I’ve still had some interesting stages to try and contend with. I had it in my head that the end point would be close to my natural brow with a few strays to keep on top since bushy brows are now the thing. The last couple of weeks I’ve looked awful as my brows were too much for my face unless I had eye makeup on (and sometimes even then they were still too much). I thought it was because I was still balancing unevenness with brow makeup and it would all come good in the end. I’ve been down all week and I’d not been able to break the spiral so today I allowed myself a tidy up around the brows where there’d been a flurry of growth in one area that was really impacting symmetry and shape. I’ve done 1 (maybe 2) of these already but only when they were really needed. I’ve not done anything drastic but my goodness what a difference. I’d actually go out without product on them now, they don’t consume my face anymore and it’s the mood booster I needed to get back on track with everything else. What’s the point of this post? Not sure but I feel like a new woman and I’ve done nothing but pull a few hairs out of my face.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I also briefly used a cup and found getting it in was fine, it was getting it out that was traumatic 🫣 I’m devoted to my Sainsbury’s period pants!

Reactions: 1
Breton stripes are classic and never go out of fashion x
Blue and white striped shirts can be worn with most things
Also I have a pair or wide leg trousers in this pattern:
1495E122-F812-4DC5-B4B6-F23AF1673850.jpeg

they are boden but I can’t find a picture.
I can wear them with lots of lovely plain linen tops and they go with most sandals, flip flops or white chunky trainers

• Heart
I also briefly used a cup and found getting it in was fine, it was getting it out that was traumatic 🫣 I’m devoted to my Sainsbury’s period pants!
Stupid question but do you have to change the period pants throughout the day like you do tampons and pads? I'd make the switch but I never understood how that works

I have a wedding next weekend, and haven’t really been on top of grooming over winter. Hair has a few too many grays, skin looks a bit tired. I also am missing some things from my makeup bag (mascara that doesn’t flake off, eyeliner & shadow, and lip things). I was planning to spend my budget on getting a blow dry on the day of the wedding because I really can’t style my hair well and getting it done always makes me feel good. That does mean I will need to do my own makeup / nails etc. Would love to hear any budget tips that work well 🙏🏼

Reactions: 1
I have a wedding next weekend, and haven’t really been on top of grooming over winter. Hair has a few too many grays, skin looks a bit tired. I also am missing some things from my makeup bag (mascara that doesn’t flake off, eyeliner & shadow, and lip things). I was planning to spend my budget on getting a blow dry on the day of the wedding because I really can’t style my hair well and getting it done always makes me feel good. That does mean I will need to do my own makeup / nails etc. Would love to hear any budget tips that work well 🙏🏼
Essence mascara is very budget friendly and very good, similarly Catrice. I like the "doll" stuff from Catrice, never had a bad experience with that regardless of which type i bought, I just keep getting that range out of habit and at least here, Catrice mascaras are ~5€, Essence should be a bit cheaper.

I can also recommend the blotting paper by Essence, i always carry some for an event/work things as I tend to get shiny fast. No need to spend more on them at all, they work great. I've found that my makeup stays nicest if I use blotting paper a few minutes after doing skincare first and only then apply foundation, that way, it doesn't even get as shiny. Spenny setting sprays only make me oilier, so I'd personally, with my combination skin, wouldn't get one of them.

I don't wear eyeliner and nail polish so can't recommend any :)

I have this problem! I buy for a fictional version of myself who goes on a lot of lovely beach holidays. Not for the real me who lives in Scotland and needs something more than just kaftans to get through summer 😅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I have this problem! I buy for a fictional version of myself who goes on a lot of lovely beach holidays. Not for the real me who lives in Scotland and needs something more than just kaftans to get through summer 😅
I was just complaining about living in Scotland and the fact I don't have a problem with style on holiday but I just hate the clothes I have to wear here cause it's so bloody cold all the time 😭 hate layers, hate unflattering thick clothes, cardigans, trousers, tights ugh. I was made to live somewhere hot

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Haha, I think I've been buying things for a budget Sienna Miller circa 2003 when I'm curvier and rather a lot older than Sienna in 2003

• Haha
Reactions: 11
For anyone considering natural deodorants - I really recommend AKT. Packaging is crap, but product is brill, particularly love the orange one (can’t remember the name of the scent) but it’s fab
I second this! The only natural deodorant I find that works and doesn't irritate my underarms. Shame about the packaging though 😅 I use the orange one as well!

• Heart
Similar to you, I’ve had the coil in for 5 years so getting it removed soon and I’ve realised period products have changed so much in that time! You’re not even supposed to throw tampons down the toilet anymore (or maybe you were never supposed to!)

Do you mind if I ask how you booked your appointment to get it removed, as it’s not a GP thing? Or did you book with the GP to then refer you to a nurse or something?
So my GP surgery didn’t do removals (I’ve moved since my last one was put in!) but they can refer to their neighbouring surgery who do removals and insertions. So I told them, they referred me across to the other surgery who then called me with an appt.

previously I had a removal and replacement in my old GP surgery. That was a mild clusterfuck. They made me an appointment but insisted they had to write me a prescription for the coil which I had to pick up from the pharmacist and take to the appointment (I was NOT prepared for how long the box was!). I turned up with the coil to find the GP who did the fitting had a coil ready for me. Weird. I’ll be completely honest, the removal and replacement was really traumatic. My coil had been in for at least 3 years more than it should have been, which didn’t help. I was offered no anaesthesia, my only option was to hold a nurse’s hand and yell ‘FUUUUUCK’ as loud as I could. I then limped back to work cringing at the pain of it all. I vowed that coil would be my last as I couldn’t have another inserted (my first was inserted during gynae surgery so I was out cold, bliss). The removal that was just a removal was fine. I still carried a bit of trauma but it was bearable.

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
So my GP surgery didn’t do removals (I’ve moved since my last one was put in!) but they can refer to their neighbouring surgery who do removals and insertions. So I told them, they referred me across to the other surgery who then called me with an appt.

previously I had a removal and replacement in my old GP surgery. That was a mild clusterfuck. They made me an appointment but insisted they had to write me a prescription for the coil which I had to pick up from the pharmacist and take to the appointment (I was NOT prepared for how long the box was!). I turned up with the coil to find the GP who did the fitting had a coil ready for me. Weird. I’ll be completely honest, the removal and replacement was really traumatic. My coil had been in for at least 3 years more than it should have been, which didn’t help. I was offered no anaesthesia, my only option was to hold a nurse’s hand and yell ‘FUUUUUCK’ as loud as I could. I then limped back to work cringing at the pain of it all. I vowed that coil would be my last as I couldn’t have another inserted (my first was inserted during gynae surgery so I was out cold, bliss). The removal that was just a removal was fine. I still carried a bit of trauma but it was bearable.
Why do they make women undergo these procedures with pain relief? Don’t answer that, we know why.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Thanks so much for replying. I’ll get on that as I’m coming up to the date so it sounds like I don’t want to go over!
Sorry you had an awful experience, but I think it’s common unfortunately from what I’ve heard. If men had to deal with this tit you know it’d be painless and straightforward. My insertion was horrendous, similar experience to you - I was screaming the place down - and the doctor had the not so brilliant idea of combining it with my smear test. My poor cervix that day ☹☹☹
At my next appointment the nurse doing my smear was horrified I had them both done at the same time.

I’m so relived to hear that the removal on its own was alright though as I’m totally dreading it 😖 shame because it’s been a dream apart from the insertion for the past 5 years!

I really want to switch to a cup but I've always struggled getting them in! I think I need to just block out some time where I can go at it 😭

I've tried quite a few different natural deodorants and never loved any of them but I've recently been using the Life Supplies one and it's been the best, finally I feel properly fresh!

Not to sound like an influencer but I think this might get you £10 off x
Folding it in half to make the top of the cup look like a squashed ‘c’ shape is helpful for me! Also running it under the tap first so it’s a bit wet sometimes makes it easier. My toilet is a bit high for me to be able to insert it brilliantly first time whilst sitting on it, whereas that’s totally what I used to do and it worked perfectly! Maybe I’m just not as flexible now that I’m old 🤣🤣🤣
---
Thanks so much for replying. I’ll get on that as I’m coming up to the date so it sounds like I don’t want to go over!
Sorry you had an awful experience, but I think it’s common unfortunately from what I’ve heard. If men had to deal with this tit you know it’d be painless and straightforward. My insertion was horrendous, similar experience to you - I was screaming the place down - and the doctor had the not so brilliant idea of combining it with my smear test. My poor cervix that day ☹☹☹
At my next appointment the nurse doing my smear was horrified I had them both done at the same time.

I’m so relived to hear that the removal on its own was alright though as I’m totally dreading it 😖 shame because it’s been a dream apart from the insertion for the past 5 years!
I was definitely REALLY sensitive to it. The poor nurse was having a hard time getting a good grip of the strings because they’ve switched to all plastic, disposable tools rather than surgical steel tools that they autoclave, so they weren’t as grippy. So I was starting to have a freak out. She was great, though, encouraged me to take deep breaths and when to hold my breath and stuff. When it did come out I immediately apologised for being a complete baby because it was 100% not as bad as I’d built it up in my head to be! I can’t even believe I went back to work after the removal/insertion. With the ‘just removal’ I had very mild cramps but they were basically nothing. I’d learned enough to work from home for the afternoon so I could mope and feel sorry for myself but I could have gone back into work and would have been fine!

• Heart
Literally sitting here cross legged now as I’ve just had my smear reminder letter in the post today 😫

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.