Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but has anyone used the tablets that delay your period? I’m going on abroad on a hen do at the end of the month and due to have my period the whole time I’m away which isn’t ideal as I’ll be swimming/going out etc.
I used them a few months ago and I was grand. Would have no hesitation in using again x

Reactions: 1
It would only be 4 days so I think I’ll just go for it, as you say don’t want to ruin a good holiday. I get very bloated the first two days or so, hopefully it will stop that too.
---

Oh dear really? Do you mind telling me in what way?
It was the aftermath 🙈 like something out of Carrie… and the pain 😌

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Thank you for the eyebrow solutions! I'm definitely going to get a lamination booked. Can I ask how long it lasts, and if it stays red and angry looking for long like brows usually do immediately after a wax?

Thank you for the eyebrow solutions! I'm definitely going to get a lamination booked. Can I ask how long it lasts, and if it stays red and angry looking for long like brows usually do immediately after a wax?
Will depend on skin, I usually get eyebrows waxed/threaded at the same time and my skin doesn't stay red for long, maybe half an hour or so, so really depends how sensitive your skin is. They should do a patch test also and ask you what skincare you're using to make sure it doesn't react. I mean lamination is basically perm for eyebrows lol.

How long it lasts depends on your brows too I guess, 4-6 weeks, it's not recommended to get it done more often than every 6 weeks

I think it may depend on hair type. My hair is naturally wavy/frizzy and coarse and I only get about a week out of a brow lamination before they go back to normal. You can get kits from Amazon to do it at home which is more cost effective imo if you don’t get very long from getting it done professionally. I think you should usually get a few weeks from it.

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but has anyone used the tablets that delay your period? I’m going on abroad on a hen do at the end of the month and due to have my period the whole time I’m away which isn’t ideal as I’ll be swimming/going out etc.
I have but it was a very long time ago. They made me really sick and gave me awful migraines. As I was vomiting so much they stopped working. Ended up coming on on the plane home, bleeding through my beige jeans 🙄 ruining the seat 😳 Wouldn't take them again.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I used to have lovely dark silky hair. Oh how I miss it!
Now I have grey menopausal hair that hates humidity and frizzes at the slightest opportunity.
Tried lots of stuff, spent a fortune.
Just bought the new Elvive stuff, pink wrapping, expensive.
Half price in Sainsbury’s with a nectar card.
Didn’t buy the shampoo, conditioner or lamination (whatever that is) just the serum and,,,it worked for me!
Two drops on wet hair before drying ( I have thick hair, short to shoulder length) and it really worked. Frizz free, shiny. Great!
Better than Colour Wow which is my go to for special occasions as it it is to expensive for every day use.
One bottle of this stuff will last for ages. Might need a bit more on holiday.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I used them for holidays when I was younger and worked fine, just made my period heavier when it arrived.
I used them again for my wedding and it didn't work at all :rolleyes:

I used to have lovely dark silky hair. Oh how I miss it!
Now I have grey menopausal hair that hates humidity and frizzes at the slightest opportunity.
Tried lots of stuff, spent a fortune.
Just bought the new Elvive stuff, pink wrapping, expensive.
Half price in Sainsbury’s with a nectar card.
Didn’t buy the shampoo, conditioner or lamination (whatever that is) just the serum and,,,it worked for me!
Two drops on wet hair before drying ( I have thick hair, short to shoulder length) and it really worked. Frizz free, shiny. Great!
Better than Colour Wow which is my go to for special occasions as it it is to expensive for every day use.
One bottle of this stuff will last for ages. Might need a bit more on holiday.
Are you talking about the L'Oreal Glycolic Gloss Serum?

I get a solid two to three weeks of the really laminated look and it starts to fade but they’re more manageable afterwards. If you struggle with waxing maybe ask for some threading or tweezing instead or a combination of them ? I found threading gave me pimples so I just have them waxed now, depends on your skin.

FYI calm it with retinol before your appointment before waxing and lamination if you use it. And lamination isn’t recommended for pregnancy or breastfeeding either, they always ask and I’m like thankfully no :ROFLMAO:

I get a solid two to three weeks of the really laminated look and it starts to fade but they’re more manageable afterwards. If you struggle with waxing maybe ask for some threading or tweezing instead or a combination of them ? I found threading gave me pimples so I just have them waxed now, depends on your skin.

FYI calm it with retinol before your appointment before waxing and lamination if you use it. And lamination isn’t recommended for pregnancy or breastfeeding either, they always ask and I’m like thankfully no :ROFLMAO:
Thank you so much for that, I'm glad you mentioned the pregnancy thing as I'm currently pregnant so I guess it'll have to wait and be a present for pushing this little sprog out 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 4
i used to take provera long term (pcos causing heavy and too frequent periods) and it worked for me, albeit at a higher dose. i'm sure it's the same drug used for short term breaks, if so i never had any issues!

Are you talking about the L'Oreal Glycolic Gloss Serum?

I bought the shampoo and conditioner. Made my hair so dry. Otherwise I would be tempted.

• Wow
I used to use them when I was younger and was fine, haven’t used them for years until 2 years ago when we went to Spain. They were horrific, my water retention off them was so bad and it didn’t completely stop my period, while I didn’t come on 100% my body tried so hard to force it, I couldn’t wear anything white or cream and would randomly have spots of blood that I couldn’t control and/or use a tampon for. My period on my return home was actually worse than when I gave birth. For reference I’m 32 and regular. Not sure why I didn’t agree with them, but I wouldn’t use them again x

Bit of a strange one, but while getting my eyebrows done last night I commented to the therapist that I feel like they're really bushy and what can be done about it. She said normally just trim them but it wouldn't work with mine as my eyebrow hairs grow in a downward direction opposed to upwards like normal. Is there anything I can do about that?! She also mentioned that if it grew upwards it would lift my eye area which is something I'm desperate to do, as I feel like that's the one part of my face that has changed over the last few years (I'm 36) and it does get me down how my eye area doesn't look as big or open eyed as it used to.
I use clear mascara to brush my brows upwards and they stay put all day, just using the cheapest clear one I could find in Asda, was about £2.50

Reactions: 8
Looking for some hair advice for my mum from those more knowledgeable that me…

My mum goes to this independent hairdresser for a cut and a colour/tint to cover greys, but she doesn’t really like her. She never likes how she cuts it, and from listening to my mum complain about her after every visit it sound like she’s not the most knowledgeable. I’ve told her to go somewhere else but she won’t - because this woman is cheap (and as I’ve told her you get what you pay for).

Somehow they’ve had a conversation that my mums hair needs to be lighter in colour (it’s a very dark brown) so this hair dresser is proposing that they bleach it, to go just a few shades lighter. Like I think if she wants to change it, it should be marginal - my mum wouldn’t look good with a lighter brown colour. However this rang alarm bells to me as her hair is seriously thining, so I don’t want this to cause it to fall out completely. Mum said the hair dresser needs to bleach it because otherwise it will give her a line. But I wonder can she not just use lighter dye on it next time so gradually it gets lighter?

So yeah, any advice/experience in this kind of thing? Like I say, I’m just worried that it’s going to really damage her hair for something that’s going to be marginally difference, because it’s rather sparse.

I told her to go to a proper hair dresser for a consultation to see what they recommend but she doesn’t seem keen on the idea, and time is of the essence. I also told her again to go to my hairdresser but she ignored that too haha.

Looking for some hair advice for my mum from those more knowledgeable that me…

My mum goes to this independent hairdresser for a cut and a colour/tint to cover greys, but she doesn’t really like her. She never likes how she cuts it, and from listening to my mum complain about her after every visit it sound like she’s not the most knowledgeable. I’ve told her to go somewhere else but she won’t - because this woman is cheap (and as I’ve told her you get what you pay for).

Somehow they’ve had a conversation that my mums hair needs to be lighter in colour (it’s a very dark brown) so this hair dresser is proposing that they bleach it, to go just a few shades lighter. Like I think if she wants to change it, it should be marginal - my mum wouldn’t look good with a lighter brown colour. However this rang alarm bells to me as her hair is seriously thining, so I don’t want this to cause it to fall out completely. Mum said the hair dresser needs to bleach it because otherwise it will give her a line. But I wonder can she not just use lighter dye on it next time so gradually it gets lighter?

So yeah, any advice/experience in this kind of thing? Like I say, I’m just worried that it’s going to really damage her hair for something that’s going to be marginally difference, because it’s rather sparse.

I told her to go to a proper hair dresser for a consultation to see what they recommend but she doesn’t seem keen on the idea, and time is of the essence. I also told her again to go to my hairdresser but she ignored that too haha.
I feel for your mum, feeling good about your hair is so important. If your mum is reluctant to move from the current hairdresser, do you think the hairdresser is up to doing highlights/lowlights? This might be a less harsh way to lighten the hair, over a longer period of time. Personally I’d stay away from bleach too, I’m still recovering from a bleach bath my hairdresser talked me into doing over a year ago 😭. I’m now having a t section of highlights to blend my greys in while I try and grow out the damage.

My mum was told she couldn't have a colour and a perm as they would be too damaging for her hair. She was advised to have it bleached - I don't recall to what extent but she looked good with it. Her hair seemed thicker and had a lift to it like she'd had a perm. He was a really good hairdresser and pounced when I went in and I ended up being a guinea pig for top companies to try out their products on my hair.
My mum had had some horror stories before this and she didn't have a lot of money. Her friend who has eczema also liked getting her hair bleached as it really helped with her eczema she said.
It seems a good idea to find a really good hairdresser and get a consultation. Maybe you could gift it to her?
I'm sure Tattlers would be able to recommend a knowledgeable hairdresser in their area, if we knew what area your mum lived in.

Thanks @Chocolategoggler and @Panstickpinkie!

By the time I left I think I managed to convince her to not go ahead with it, at least for this appointment. I told her to get the hairdresser to use a lighter gloss, and if she (the hairdresser) doesn’t want to do that then to just do the shade that she currently is. I also scared her with the maintenance chat and told her she’d be having to use hair masks and blue shampoo which I can’t see her doing at all haha.

How roles reverse, I swear when I was younger she kept telling me not to bleach my hair 😂

Great idea @Chocolategoggler, last time we went through this I thought to myself about getting her an appointment at my hairdressers, who are a fair bit away from us but they’re so great. It had totally slipped my mind. I’ve got an appointment coming up so I’ll chat to them about what they think and then book her in. If I just book her in she won’t be able to say protest and say no!

Thanks gals ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.