Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Would love any reccs for places to buy good quality curtains or more general advice for using curtain hooks on tracks? We have a pair that do not open/close smoothly on the tracks and hooks are constantly falling down - it looks so messy. Not sure if it's the tracks, hooks, curtains too heavy? I was even looking at the automatic curtain opening gadgets in case it's us being heavy handed but surely shouldn't be this difficult! We rent so can't change it to eyelets.
Do you have enough hooks on the curtains? because if you only have a few and the curtains are heavy that can make the curtains fall down. Failing that I would just replace the track with a curtain pole and push the curtains through the pole.

Do you have enough hooks on the curtains? because if you only have a few and the curtains are heavy that can make the curtains fall down. Failing that I would just replace the track with a curtain pole and push the curtains through the pole.
We do have a lot of hooks so I don't think it's that. It probably is worth just adding a pole, wanted to avoid it as it's a bay window but I'm sure I'll find a way!

We do have a lot of hooks so I don't think it's that. It probably is worth just adding a pole, wanted to avoid it as it's a bay window but I'm sure I'll find a way!
You can buy no drill polls. They create tension between the walls to go up.

Would love any reccs for places to buy good quality curtains or more general advice for using curtain hooks on tracks? We have a pair that do not open/close smoothly on the tracks and hooks are constantly falling down - it looks so messy. Not sure if it's the tracks, hooks, curtains too heavy? I was even looking at the automatic curtain opening gadgets in case it's us being heavy handed but surely shouldn't be this difficult! We rent so can't change it to eyelets.
Some curtain tracks are just rubbish. When we bought our house we put up a heavy duty track on two of the windows and they are the bane of my life, the hooks don’t run smoothly and the ‘eyes’ are forever popping out of the tracks. I think it’s a combination of a rubbish track and also curtains that are too long - I think to work really well you need the weight of the curtain to pull on the hooks and where the curtain hits the floor, you don’t get that weight pulling on the eye. It’s not ideal but I found pinning the curtains up so they hang rather than drape has helped a bit.

Can anyone recommend some vacuum storage bags for out of season clothes, occasionally used bedding etc? They don't need to be huge, and they don't need to be pretty.

I'm kind of aware that many are crap and eventually let air in or the seams split etc, so recommendations for gooduns would be great.

Obviously I'd rather they weren't ultra expensive, but I'd rather that than a false economy.

Reactions: 2
Can all of you share any tips you have about how to make your home smell amazing? I want people to walk in and their first thought to be 'it smells lovely in here'

Reactions: 9
Can all of you share any tips you have about how to make your home smell amazing? I want people to walk in and their first thought to be 'it smells lovely in here'
I do my laundry with the unstoppables thingys, when it’s washing/drying the smell goes throughout the whole apartment and makes the place smell amazing for days

Reactions: 7
I do my laundry with the unstoppables thingys, when it’s washing/drying the smell goes throughout the whole apartment and makes the place smell amazing for days
Oooh second the Unstoppables!! They are great.

I use lemon/lime/mint/cucumber/tea tree/lavender scents to clean, and make sure there’s always lots of airflow through the house. I think fresh, clean air is the best way a house can smell.

As for something that actually smells strong and lasts, I think incense sticks are your best bet. I don’t find candles great tbh and I’ve stopped buying them, they’re just pricey and a lot of waste/clutter having them about. Ditto with diffuser stick things

Reactions: 7
These candles are great you can smell them in other rooms. They aren’t cheap (I was given one as a gift they got it from America so it was cheaper).

Also I really like wax melts I use Yankee Candle ones in a burner I got from Tesco. I usually use my vouchers to buy these.

For an candle lovers, sand and fog candles are amazing for smell throughout the house! Tk maxx always have heaps of them aswell! Every time I go in I stock up 🤣

Reactions: 6
They’re not cheap, but I like the Daylesford candles. Every so often Ocado have them half price, and they’re really strong but pretty natural smelling. I like the Bergamot, Vine Tomato, Fig Leaf and the Rose scents, but they’re all nice.

Reactions: 2
I make my own sprays with water and essential oils. One of my favourites is eucalyptus and lemongrass, it's such a fresh smell. I use this to lightly spritz the curtains, and the radiators if they are warm. Works much better than other methods. That and making sure there's plenty of fresh air coming in, even in cooler weather. Also- when hoovering, if you pop a cotton wool ball with essential oils on in the dust bin, it throws out a nice smell throughout the house, rather than that 'hoover' smell!

Reactions: 8
I make my own sprays with water and essential oils. One of my favourites is eucalyptus and lemongrass, it's such a fresh smell. I use this to lightly spritz the curtains, and the radiators if they are warm. Works much better than other methods. That and making sure there's plenty of fresh air coming in, even in cooler weather. Also- when hoovering, if you pop a cotton wool ball with essential oils on in the dust bin, it throws out a nice smell throughout the house, rather than that 'hoover' smell!
I do this too - add a drop of washing up liquid into your spray to get the oils to distribute into the water and it works even better!

The guy who services my Dyson puts a cotton round with scent between the air filter filter and the pipe and the smell is strong and lasts - you could even do both for maximum scent (I think I will!)

Reactions: 5
Ooh! I'll try this, thanks!

I like the idea of the scented Unstoppable washing beads that people mentioned and the vanilla one sounds right up my street, especially as people say the smell spreads throughout the house but I'm just not sure I can justify the cost. I might buy one tub and eeek it out, maybe just use it on bedding or something.

The only frustrating thing is that since I had Covid I don't seem to be able to smell vanilla type scents anymore. I've got a plug in that I've used loads over the years and I can't smell it at all. It's ruined my favourite perfume too (Ghost, Deep Night) as almost I can smell is the woody undertones. Grrr. It'll be interesting to see what this unstoppables stuff actually smells like to me. Maybe I'll hate it and it'll be problem solved 😆.

Reactions: 1
Ideas for a pink Xmas theme? Anyone would think I don't have all boys and a male partner but oh well I make this house a home they can all DEAL. I'm thinking pink bauble wreath, a nice white Xmas tree with doves and pink decor? I'm not bothering with lights and I don't do tinsel. My mother never let me have Xmas decor up and never had anyone to show me how to style things so any pointers even if obvious are great. Always just winged it and still learning things now in my 30s that most people's parents teach them when young. Not trying to give a sob story but I'm pointing it out to say these threads can help people alot more then you might think. ❤
I have 2 trees both with different themes but they are both really decorated no spaces anywhere. One is super classy but one is full of felt decorations that remind me of being a little girl and thatis my favourite.

Anyone have any tips oh how to get musty smells out
For the life of me I can’t work out where the smell is coming from in my bedroom and it’s driving me mad
My cat vomited on Friday night and my husband cleared it all whilst I was at work and we have gone over it with Docter beckmans botttle of carpet shampoo and my door has been shut allday today and just opened it and such a musty fouisty smell and it’s pissing me off as I’m such a clean freak and ocd!!
Febreeze should help with smell

Wax melts on a burner for a fab smell

Last edited:
  • Heart
Thank you so much for this thread!! I can’t really think of any specific tips I have. I always change my scents based upon the seasons, if that counts? I’m a sucker for candles and diffusers so always have something to fit the season. Autumn/Winter is my absolute favourite with all the deep, ‘manly’ notes and a little bit of spiced apple around Christmas.

I’m looking to cut back on cleaning products though. As I’m such a fool for a nice scent I find that I buy stuff I don’t need or use and end up with cupboards full of wasted products. Can anyone recommend any multi purpose products that will help me cut back? Ideally I’d like to have one, under the sink sized basket filled with all the cleaning products I need. I live in a 2 bed flat alone so don’t need a massive amount anyway. Currently I have one basket purely for Zoflora and maybe 2-3 other baskets for things like glass spray, disinfectant, oven cleaner etc. I’m embarrassed at how excessive it actually is but I blame lockdown and the whole Mrs Hinch hype of 2020💀
I bought reusable spray bottles off amazon, I use zoflora/faulosa disinfectant diluted and can be used all over the house.

Keep on top of the bins and cleaning,
I open the windows every morning no matter the weather!
I use an orange oil on my wooden furniture instead of a cheap polish,
Spray down the bathroom every other day if not daily!
Wipe down cupboards and parts of the flat like skirting with me fabulosa spray (wipe on, rinse off)
Vacuum once a day.
Vacuum sofa a couple of times a week!
Have a rotation of throws for the sofa, mine are all washed with lenor unstoppables so they stay fresh.
Diffusers knocking about in each room
I have a plug in or two in heavy traffic areas like the hallway.
There's also nothing like a seasonal smell, my fave one for this time of year is the spiced apple kind of smell. Tk maxx is FAB for candles.
I just saw on Amazon you can get candle and cup warmers, so you can have the scent of a candle without a flame.
A lot of Tattlers love an oil diffuser too! I had one but it died 😭

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.