Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Okay not the most glamorous thing in the world but as I’ve just worked this out I ran here to share with you all

How to make scratchy towels fluffy again

The products you either already have or will cost you less than £1 - except the washing machine, can’t help you there

Towels are designed to be absorbent, the scratchiness is caused by a buildup of product that hasn’t been rinsed out thourghly when they’ve been washed. It’s usually a build up of detergent but it can be fabric softener that causes this issue. Do not overfill your washing machine with towels, towels become REALLY heavy when they’re wet, too much weight will break your machine, do a presoak in vinegar water for a few hours if you want and feel how heavy they get, that’s how heavy they are mid wash cycle. Also if there’s too much in the machine when the machine goes through a rinse cycle it’s not able to wash all of the detergent out which will make the scratchy problems worse

you will need:
- baking powder
- white vinegar

you are not going to mix baking powder and white vinegar together

Place your towels are in the drum add white vinegar where you would normally put the detergent. If you have a top loading machine you can pour vinegar straight onto the towels. I used around a cup full.

The towels need to go through a full HOT cycle.

when the towels are finished, add baking powder where you would normally put detergent. Put the towels on for another full hot cycle. I used about a quarter of a pot of tescos cheap own brand baking powder.

DO NOT mix the two, they froth up and it looks cool but it doesn’t actually make it any better. If the towels are particularly scratchy you may need to repeat the process.

At no point do you add detergent.

for drying you either want them on the washing line on a windy day so they get a good beating or to run them through the drier. The drier doesn’t nesseserily need to be hot, it just needs to give the towels a good beating and get the air into them.

I’ve read that once a month or so to wash them with either vinegar or baking powder to keep on top of this and not let them get the detergent build up. This should prevent the scratchy issues from occurring in the first place

For regular washing, you don’t need loads of detergent, check the brand you buy for the correct amount to use, most of us are using too much. I use the fairy powder detergent and use half a vanish scoop for a full load.

do not use fabric softener on towels
It’s part of what causes the build up issues. They need hot water and a good Chuck around the washing machine, keep adding softener is going to make the issue worse. I’d rather have soft towels than smelly towels, if the smell is important to you and you simply MUST add softener, reduce the amount your using and I’d make sure you give them a semi regular maintance wash as I’ve listed above. Don’t use the smelly beads.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Okay not the most glamorous thing in the world but as I’ve just worked this out I ran here to share with you all

The products you either already have or will cost you less than £1 - except the washing machine, can’t help you there

Towels are designed to be absorbent, the scratchiness is caused by a buildup of product that hasn’t been rinsed out thourghly when they’ve been washed. It’s usually a build up of detergent but it can be fabric softener that causes this issue. Do not overfill your washing machine with towels, towels become REALLY heavy when they’re wet, too much weight will break your machine, do a presoak in vinegar water for a few hours if you want and feel how heavy they get, that’s how heavy they are mid wash cycle. Also if there’s too much in the machine when the machine goes through a rinse cycle it’s not able to wash all of the detergent out which will make the scratchy problems worse

you will need:
- baking powder
- white vinegar

Place your towels are in the drum add white vinegar where you would normally put the detergent. If you have a top loading machine you can pour vinegar straight onto the towels. I used around a cup full.

when the towels are finished, add baking powder where you would normally put detergent. Put the towels on for another full hot cycle. I used about a quarter of a pot of tescos cheap own brand baking powder.

DO NOT mix the two, they froth up and it looks cool but it doesn’t actually make it any better. If the towels are particularly scratchy you may need to repeat the process.

for drying you either want them on the washing line on a windy day so they get a good beating or to run them through the drier. The drier doesn’t nesseserily need to be hot, it just needs to give the towels a good beating and get the air into them.

I’ve read that once a month or so to wash them with either vinegar or baking powder to keep on top of this and not let them get the detergent build up. This should prevent the scratchy issues from occurring in the first place

For regular washing, you don’t need loads of detergent, check the brand you buy for the correct amount to use, most of us are using too much. I use the fairy powder detergent and use half a vanish scoop for a full load.

It’s part of what causes the build up issues. They need hot water and a good Chuck around the washing machine, keep adding softener is going to make the issue worse. I’d rather have soft towels than smelly towels, if the smell is important to you and you simply MUST add softener, reduce the amount your using and I’d make sure you give them a semi regular maintance wash as I’ve listed above. Don’t use the smelly beads.
That’s great thank you. I have bought towels from Next two months ago. They look dreadful, as though I’ve had them years (tip, don’t buy Next towels). I’ll try this to see if they improve.

Reactions: 1
That’s great thank you. I have bought towels from Next two months ago. They look dreadful, as though I’ve had them years (tip, don’t buy Next towels). I’ll try this to see if they improve.
I’ve used this method today on a towelled dressing gown that was gonna go in the bin, it’s really improved it, it’s old and was super scratchy. I did three washes in total (soaked it in a vinegar water solution for 4-5 hours but I don’t think that’s a nesessary step I just wanted to try it) did one full wash with vinegar, two with baking powder. I’m pleased with how it came out because it’s actually usable again

Reactions: 4
To keep my towels fluffy I just bung them in the dryer 😀
I use water softener in all my loads as that helps too

Reactions: 2
I highly recommend tru wash for mirrors /glass furniture it’s something I can’t live without x

you will need:
- baking powder
- white vinegar

Love this
l have not used fabric conditioner on my clothes/towels/bedding for years
I use either a glug of white vinegar or bicarb (never together)

Reactions: 5
Oh nooooo why no smelly beads??? I bought a load of the lenor scent booster during the week after someone else praised them 😂

Reactions: 3
Oh nooooo why no smelly beads??? I bought a load of the lenor scent booster during the week after someone else praised them 😂
I prefer to use natural products and the bicarb and vinegar leaves the towels fluffy and more absorbent

Reactions: 5
Laundry beads are mainly concentrated perfumes with additives to help the perfume disperse in your washing. Any kind of additive can build up in your clothes and it’s that build-up that can make towels go a bit crusty and unpleasant. The ‘best’ way to wash towels is just with a detergent - fabric conditioners especially can have oils and fats in them that make your clothes feel nice and smooth but can stop fabrics being absorbent, which is why you shouldn’t use fabric conditioner if you’re washing towels, tea towels, anything made of microfibre or sportswear. These are all supposed to absorb fluids and the conditioner, although it makes them smell good, can make them less effective at doing that.

Reactions: 8
Since covid started I've actually started adding Dettol to our wash. I only add a little bit otherwise you will smell like anti-septic :LOL: But I really recommend for ensuring your clothes are bacteria/virus free

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.