Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Since covid started I've actually started adding Dettol to our wash. I only add a little bit otherwise you will smell like anti-septic :LOL: But I really recommend for ensuring your clothes are bacteria/virus free
I do too and Aldi do a rip off version 😊 and I use the dettol spray on all door handles and things to keep everything super clean.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
As a side note the Dettol is also good for if you or the other half have a "dirty" job. Mine does and even though it doesn't clean stains etc I know it will kill all the germs in his clothes

Reactions: 2
I just used the steam iron on our fabric sofa and it looks as good as new and smells fresher as well. I use the vacuum on it regularly, but that doesn’t seem to do the trick fully. Added bonus is that you don’t need to worry about water stains and it was really quick to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Since covid started I've actually started adding Dettol to our wash. I only add a little bit otherwise you will smell like anti-septic :LOL: But I really recommend for ensuring your clothes are bacteria/virus free
I’ve been using this for sometime. I get it from
B&M’s:

E7DBB488-6497-4050-AA66-AF37F8DCBDBB.jpeg

Reactions: 11
Laundry beads are mainly concentrated perfumes with additives to help the perfume disperse in your washing. Any kind of additive can build up in your clothes and it’s that build-up that can make towels go a bit crusty and unpleasant. The ‘best’ way to wash towels is just with a detergent - fabric conditioners especially can have oils and fats in them that make your clothes feel nice and smooth but can stop fabrics being absorbent, which is why you shouldn’t use fabric conditioner if you’re washing towels, tea towels, anything made of microfibre or sportswear. These are all supposed to absorb fluids and the conditioner, although it makes them smell good, can make them less effective at doing that.
i was gearing myself up to write a long explination but you did it so much more eloquently than I could have 💕

i love smelly beads, just not for towels

for all my cleaning rags and tea towels I have a little laundry bucket in a kitchen cupboard so I can wash them seperate From the main washes. I soak them in a bit of powder detergent and bleach tablets (you could use dettol instead of bleach tabs). When I wash them in the machine I put a little bit of zoflora in the fabric softener area to make them smell nice.

don’t put zoflora on your regular clothes, curtains, cushions etc as it reduces the resistance against flames (too much fabric softener can aswell that’s why I keep saying to be careful how much you use) but as my cleaning rags get covered in cleaning materials anyway I figure there’s always some residue of whatever I’ve cleaned so I’m naughty and add a capful.

Just an FYI that if you use a stain remover powder (like vanish or oxy boost etc) or use a bio/non bio washing powder, they have oxygen based bleach in as an ingredient, which is itself a disinfectant. I tend to think of the additives like Dettol and fabulosa as "stand in softeners", something to impart smell on something easily ruined. I had the fabulosa one but I don't think I'll replace it because I already use the stain remover powders

Reactions: 4
Didn't even know this was a thing! How much does it cost? Regular dettol is like £4 and lasts forever as you have to use such a small amount
It’s £5.99 for a 3 litre bottle. It doesn’t have the same smell as the brown Dettol. They do two (I think) different scents

529732CE-EB89-45DF-B8C6-CC2E1CE12ED0.png

Reactions: 3
Just an FYI that if you use a stain remover powder (like vanish or oxy boost etc) or use a bio/non bio washing powder, they have oxygen based bleach in as an ingredient, which is itself a disinfectant. I tend to think of the additives like Dettol and fabulosa as "stand in softeners", something to impart smell on something easily ruined. I had the fabulosa one but I don't think I'll replace it because I already use the stain remover powders
Regular Dettol is not a softner, I can’t speak on the Dettol for laundry. However softners are very bad for your clothing so I wouldn’t recommend using them

Regular Dettol is not a softner, I can’t speak on the Dettol for laundry. However softners are very bad for your clothing so I wouldn’t recommend using them
I know, I'm talking about laundry disinfecting. I'm saying if you use a powder based stain remover, they're Oxygen-bleach based, so an additional laundry disinfectant isn't necessary, unless you just like the smell of them.

I like to have 2 different forms of lighting in my living room to make it more cosy. Or at least it feels it to me. So say a dim lamp and light a few tea lights in lanterns. Wondering whether to risk buying a lovely white throw I've seen but have small children. I want something really big and thick. I have a few throws atm but they just aren't cutting the mark.

• Heart
I like to have 2 different forms of lighting in my living room to make it more cosy. Or at least it feels it to me. So say a dim lamp and light a few tea lights in lanterns. Wondering whether to risk buying a lovely white throw I've seen but have small children. I want something really big and thick. I have a few throws atm but they just aren't cutting the mark.
I've just invested in a couple of lamps for the front room, as our wall lights are pretty dim and it was looking so gloomy in here. Thinking of changing the wall lights actually as they have these annoying bulbs that you can't buy easily, I have to order them online 😣

Reactions: 2
First timer on this thread, but I'm moving out for the first time with my boyfriend - both early 20's - and we want to make sure we keep our flat clean and tidy, looking boujee but also on a budget so we can save to buy next year (hopefully !!). Does anyone have any tips? We move in 2 weeks 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Hey all. Need ideas for decorating my teenage son’s room. The walls are light grey and he has a dark grey/ copper lamp shade. I need some ideas for what else to get- maybe a ladder bookcase or something? I want to make it cosy for him.

Reactions: 1
New tip - kick everyone else out. Honest to jaysis I’m sick of more shite everywhere I turn. And if I clean a room they move into it, mess it up and the pattern continues!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
New tip - kick everyone else out. Honest to jaysis I’m sick of more shite everywhere I turn. And if I clean a room they move into it, mess it up and the pattern continues!
Yes also for me every time I clean the toilets they are at my back and messing them up 🤬🤬🤬

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Hey all. Need ideas for decorating my teenage son’s room. The walls are light grey and he has a dark grey/ copper lamp shade. I need some ideas for what else to get- maybe a ladder bookcase or something? I want to make it cosy for him.
Have you asked him what he might like? I would’ve loved if my mum gave me a budget to decorate my room *within reason ofcourse*

Also get rid of all the animals, ungrateful bastards 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Your pic I’m in a hoop 😂😂😂😂 can’t escape FBG

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Have you asked him what he might like? I would’ve loved if my mum gave me a budget to decorate my room *within reason ofcourse*

Also get rid of all the animals, ungrateful bastards 😂
Oh lawd if he had it his way he would repaint it lime green and put LED lights all around the ceiling! We might have to meet in the middle…

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.