Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My tip for a glam home, is have a colour theme for each room. Less is more IMO, I'm not a fan of the supper cluttered Boho look (see allegra mcevedy) also, match things if possible. So for example my kettle, toaster, bread bin, tea coffee sugar canisters are all matching. I think it makes it look more pulled together.
I agree and if you can find it, check out the Cribs episode (showing my age here) with Molly Sims. I seem to remember she had a beautiful beach house and each room had a colour scheme! I still think about it to this day 😂

ETA I don’t know if we’re allowed to post YouTube links, but it looks like it’s up there! The house is a little more cluttered than I recall but still worth a look!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Fab thread ladies!!! 🤩

I NEED a tip tonight…. I’ve been focusing on glowing up my room and I want my bed to look like a 5 star hotel bed - where should I get big poofy luxurious hotel pillows?! I saw a tiktok recently that the Premier Inn pillows are a secret star find, they have them on their website should I buy…?

i basically want a gorge collection of oversized pillows and a few nice cushions, white beige camel natural colour scheme with maybe a hint of pastel pink or blue.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Fab thread ladies!!! 🤩

I NEED a tip tonight…. I’ve been focusing on glowing up my room and I want my bed to look like a 5 star hotel bed - where should I get big poofy luxurious hotel pillows?! I saw a tiktok recently that the Premier Inn pillows are a secret star find, they have them on their website should I buy…?

i basically want a gorge collection of oversized pillows and a few nice cushions, white beige camel natural colour scheme with maybe a hint of pastel pink or blue.
The Dorma from Dunelm pillows are nice and White Company. Dorma pillow protectors are great, makes the pillowcase sit nice. In my old place I had some Sainsburys pillows that were from their taste the difference range and I honestly think they were the best pillows I’ve ever slept on but they discontinued the range ☹

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thanks everyone 🤍
Made a start last night and so far emptied my ironing baskets (yes baskets 😭).
Tidied my bedroom and gave my ensuite a deep clean. Can already see a big difference although LOTS more to sort and clean. But it’s a start!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Thanks everyone 🤍
Made a start last night and so far emptied my ironing baskets (yes baskets 😭).
Tidied my bedroom and gave my ensuite a deep clean. Can already see a big difference although LOTS more to sort and clean. But it’s a start!
You’ve done the hardest part - making a start! 💜

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Hey 👋 any extra tips on what people do to clean the house that bit more after everyone's been ill?
I change the sheets/towels, dettol all touch points, change toothbrush etc. Everywhere just seems a bit gross and want to give it a good clean now I have a weekend free!

Reactions: 1
Hey 👋 any extra tips on what people do to clean the house that bit more after everyone's been ill?
I change the sheets/towels, dettol all touch points, change toothbrush etc. Everywhere just seems a bit gross and want to give it a good clean now I have a weekend free!
Depends for me what the illness was. If it was stomach flu or similar, definitely disinfect the doorknobs, often overlooked part and I read somewhere that that is one of the key points for spreading it.

Reactions: 6
Fab thread ladies!!! 🤩

I want my bedroom to look like a 5* hotel room as well. I try to stick to the 60-30-10 colour scheme that interior designers swear by. I nearly always have crisp white bedding with a nice throw over the bed on top. I have long thick curtains that drape across the floor ( I love it lol ) and I've kept it basic but the few things I have in there are expensive.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My friend said it’s ‘terrible for you’ but I’m obsessed with the dettol aerosol spray. You can use it on soft furnishings so I would be spraying that everywhere 😅

on that note does anyone use the dettol laundry sanitiser? It says to put it in your fabric softner drawer but that didn’t make sense to me and I put my detergent in the drum so I’ve been putting it in the detergent drawer. I only use it for towels, bedding, bath mats etc not clothes.

Reactions: 2
Fab thread ladies!!! 🤩

This is the colour scheme of my bedroom although my accent colour is dark brown rather than a pastel. Its very restful and calming.

Last edited:
on that note does anyone use the dettol laundry sanitiser? It says to put it in your fabric softner drawer but that didn’t make sense to me and I put my detergent in the drum so I’ve been putting it in the detergent drawer. I only use it for towels, bedding, bath mats etc not clothes.
Yesss! It gives me such peace of mind, I use it on everything. I put a Fairy non-bio pod in the drum and the Dettol in the fabric softener bit, not sure what the difference would be, maybe I will experiment. Do you turn the temperature down on your machine when you use it like it says you can?

Yesss! It gives me such peace of mind, I use it on everything. I put a Fairy non-bio pod in the drum and the Dettol in the fabric softener bit, not sure what the difference would be, maybe I will experiment. Do you turn the temperature down on your machine when you use it like it says you can?
No I still wash everything on high temps lol so do you still use fabric softener? That’s why I was confused because I still want to use FS so I put the dettol in the detergent bit and FS where it’s supposed to be 🤷🏻‍♀️

No I still wash everything on high temps lol so do you still use fabric softener? That’s why I was confused because I still want to use FS so I put the dettol in the detergent bit and FS where it’s supposed to be 🤷🏻‍♀️
Haha me too, I was considering going to 30 when the price of everything raises in October to see if it makes a difference with the bills. I don't use fabric softener only because the dettol situation, I might give your way a go and use both

Haha me too, I was considering going to 30 when the price of everything raises in October to see if it makes a difference with the bills. I don't use fabric softener only because the dettol situation, I might give your way a go and use both
Let me know what way you think works best

Get a cleaner it's saved my relationship 😂😂😂. We used to argue so much about chores. I love them I do a tidy before they come and then forget about it . Costs about the same as a large takeaway per week.

Reactions: 11
My friend said it’s ‘terrible for you’ but I’m obsessed with the dettol aerosol spray. You can use it on soft furnishings so I would be spraying that everywhere 😅

I use either the fabulosa or Ariel one but add it with or in place of fabric conditioner but I'm not sure if it matters, although maybe the detergent breaks it down so it can't disinfect. My mum passes on tips from environmental health (she manages care homes so she's on good terms with EH) and the big problem with a lot of disinfectants is that people don't leave them to work long enough.
Another tip EH gave her is; if any laundry items are clean, unused but need a quick disinfect for whatever reason, stick them in the tumble dryer for about half an hour. Kills everything off. This also helps with parasites like threadworms/nits/bedbugs etc.

I wash everything at 30 if stained, 20 if there are no visible stains. It is *SO* much cheaper to run a washing machine at 30 as a standard temperature!

• Heart
Get a cleaner it's saved my relationship 😂😂😂. We used to argue so much about chores. I love them I do a tidy before they come and then forget about it . Costs about the same as a large takeaway per week.
I have a cleaner but I’m still non stop doing tit myself

Does anyone have tips on how to remove really persistent limescale in the loo? It’s high up, from where the water comes in to the bowl when you flush. I’ve tried Viakal, bicarb, Kilrock (useless as it just drained off but probably my fault for not thinking it through), vinegar, the Dr Beckmann foam, and nothing has worked.

Does anyone have tips on how to remove really persistent limescale in the loo? It’s high up, from where the water comes in to the bowl when you flush. I’ve tried Viakal, bicarb, Kilrock (useless as it just drained off but probably my fault for not thinking it through), vinegar, the Dr Beckmann foam, and nothing has worked.
The black harpic is pretty good for limescale, it can take a few goes but it’s some of the best loo cleaner I’ve found for really hard water. The key though is to make sure that you’re able to get the product to stay on long enough to work - have you checked whether you might have a slow leak there, perhaps from the cistern overfilling and slowly dribbling out? If you fix that then you might be able to get stuff to stay on long enough - I think Kilrock used to do a gel that was really good for limescale in awkward spots.

• Heart
The black harpic is pretty good for limescale, it can take a few goes but it’s some of the best loo cleaner I’ve found for really hard water. The key though is to make sure that you’re able to get the product to stay on long enough to work - have you checked whether you might have a slow leak there, perhaps from the cistern overfilling and slowly dribbling out? If you fix that then you might be able to get stuff to stay on long enough - I think Kilrock used to do a gel that was really good for limescale in awkward spots.
Thank you and that’s a really good point, I bet there is a slow leak! Didn’t know there was a Kilrock gel, I’ll investigate that too. Thanks again x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.