Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Got decorators coming to give me a quote soon and the house needs a tidy but I cba to move. Need a kick up the arse. Also what's people's thoughts on mirrors above the stairs? Thinking of upcycling my mirror and hanging it above the stairs but dunno if that's abit "cheap"?

Reactions: 1
Got decorators coming to give me a quote soon and the house needs a tidy but I cba to move. Need a kick up the arse. Also what's people's thoughts on mirrors above the stairs? Thinking of upcycling my mirror and hanging it above the stairs but dunno if that's abit "cheap"?
If it helps - decorators might give you a quote based on how much they think they need to move, etc, so you might get away cheaper if it all looks nice and tidy.
For the mirror - I personally wouldn't, for two reasons: 1) cleaning it. Depending on your stairs you might have a tough job dusting/wiping it and 2) could look weird and make me trip, but that's just me and my crappy sense of balance.

Reactions: 4
If it helps - decorators might give you a quote based on how much they think they need to move, etc, so you might get away cheaper if it all looks nice and tidy.
For the mirror - I personally wouldn't, for two reasons: 1) cleaning it. Depending on your stairs you might have a tough job dusting/wiping it and 2) could look weird and make me trip, but that's just me and my crappy sense of balance.
You know what your right I'm short so polishing it would be a tough task and my youngest son has balance issues so think you've told me just what I need to hear thanks ☺

• Heart
My mum used to have a big photo frame above the stairs and heard a horror story of it falling down and the glass landing on and seriously injuring a child and now I’m too scared to do anything like that myself 😂 how about a long chandelier type thing hanging down?

• Wow
Reactions: 2
My mum used to have a big photo frame above the stairs and heard a horror story of it falling down and the glass landing on and seriously injuring a child and now I’m too scared to do anything like that myself 😂 how about a long chandelier type thing hanging down?
Oh wow! Defo off the cards then 🤦🏼‍♀️. I cant have dangly things not with having cats lol. I am now considering a nice canvas or even buying a plain canvas and getting my kids to put their handprints on in colours to match the decor. But dunno if that's abit live,laugh,love lol. Ive had a very quick tidy up tbh cushions all over the gaff wasn't too much to tidy. Abit nervous about decorator coming round cause I got a feeling its going to be a big quote lol and the wallpaper I'm ordering for my bedroom is erm expensive lol 🤦🏼‍♀️.

Any tips for cleaning glass surfaces?

I have glass coffee tables and I can never get them streak free! I feel like i’ve tried everything! Thanks!

Any tips for cleaning glass surfaces?

I have glass coffee tables and I can never get them streak free! I feel like i’ve tried everything! Thanks!
I wash mine with a tiny drop of washing up liquid and white vinegar in a couple of inches of water in a bucket, then buff off with a damp cloth, I have been using the Marigold squeaky clean to buff and it’s fab

• Heart
So. I’ve just ordered a Henry hoover (the green pet version). I’m hoping it really will get rid of the pet hair and actually pick up sock fluff unlike the Dyson!

Oh wow! Defo off the cards then 🤦🏼‍♀️. I cant have dangly things not with having cats lol. I am now considering a nice canvas or even buying a plain canvas and getting my kids to put their handprints on in colours to match the decor. But dunno if that's abit live,laugh,love lol. Ive had a very quick tidy up tbh cushions all over the gaff wasn't too much to tidy. Abit nervous about decorator coming round cause I got a feeling its going to be a big quote lol and the wallpaper I'm ordering for my bedroom is erm expensive lol 🤦🏼‍♀️.
I love the idea of the childrens hand prints! I’m sure they’ll love something they created up on display 🥰

• Heart
I love the idea of the childrens hand prints! I’m sure they’ll love something they created up on display 🥰
Don't think it's naff then lol? I've decided I'm going to upcycle my bedroom mirror instead. I already have gold spray paint and loads of pretty arts and crafts materials and some trusty gorilla glue lol. My bedrooms quiet plain just a bed, 2 bedside tables, radiator cover, ottoman and TV on the wall ( wardrobes a cupboard in the room with poles stuck in lol ) so need something to add abit of life to it. My decorator has been and I'm having bedroom, living room and hallway stripped and repapered. I'm really excited for it. I've lived in this house since Feb and I really want to be able to do a 1 Yr before and after specially given the absolute state I recieved it in lol.

My house is currently a tit tip. So much clutter and mess that my brain is struggling. Due to a combination of spending a summer enjoying my life outdoors and on holiday, my job being extremely stressful for past few weeks and probably just putting off any housework I now have no idea where to start 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 11
My house is currently a tit tip. So much clutter and mess that my brain is struggling. Due to a combination of spending a summer enjoying my life outdoors and on holiday, my job being extremely stressful for past few weeks and probably just putting off any housework I now have no idea where to start 😭
You can do this, start small.
set a timer for 30mins, put some music/podcast on and tackle the room that is least cluttered/messy

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Can anyone recommend reed diffuser oil refills?. I love fresh smells (clean cotton etc) but can't find any with a strong smell!

Reactions: 3
Have a look at the website for Fly Lady. It’s very dated looking, but her advice is great and her approach really helps. She would probably tell you to start by shining your kitchen sink. Best of luck…xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I find this lady helpful:

She doesn’t have many YouTube videos, but she has a book which is a short read:

There is also a thread for us procrastinators that don’t have “perfect” or glam homes:

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Simply start somewhere, but make it a set task for e.g. 30 min and see how much you can put away. Take a laundry basket and collect all items that aren't at their place and put them away properly, that alone will make a big difference. After that, tackle whatever seems the most doable at the moment, like laundry or vacuuming. Enlist all those little machines we have in our homes for their help, at least we no longer have to go down to some stream and scrub the laundry ourselves (that's what I tell myself when I need to motivate myself to fold the laundry, that that is really the only work I actually have with it). You got this, life just happens sometimes!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Can anyone recommend reed diffuser oil refills?. I love fresh smells (clean cotton etc) but can't find any with a strong smell!
Try Linen from Next. They do a small one for £5 if you want to see what it’s like before committing to a larger one. I use the small one in my bathroom and it fills the room nicely🥰

Got guests coming tomorrow! (Unusual for me lol) what things make you go wow or at least "this is nice" when you walk through someone's door? I've got fresh wax melts at the ready, gonna have another vacuum just before bed, poof up sofa cushions. Probably sound real petty but I really like it when people say my house is nice.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.