Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A bit of Zoflora in the washing machine is fine. Its not safe in steamers, diffusers etc.

Reactions: 3
Are you watching any Youtubers for cleaning inspo?
I fully admit to watching really nasty homes getting a good proper cleaning both as a reminder of how I never ever want my home to look like and to get my bum off my seat to do some cleaning.
The first one I've ever followed is CleanMySpace - Melissa's voicing style can seem a little "rehearsed" or like a TV presenter, but most of her tips are quite sound. She started my undying love of mixing dish soap with baking soda into a cleaning paste. There's nothing that I wasn't able to clean with that. Even impressed my MIL with it, and she's one of those ladies who always have an immaculate home, doesn't matter when you come by:D
I used to watch a lot of Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, but got tired of the show, they seemed to throw the term OCD around rather loosely and I felt bad for the people whose homes were cleaned, felt a bit exploitative.
Much better in that regard, at least to me, is Aurikatariina on Youtube, she cleans truly disastrous homes for free and doesn't show the owners, but will sometimes tell a little bit about them. She also doesn't use excessive amounts of bleach, which is what I also didn't like about OCC.

Reactions: 11
She started my undying love of mixing dish soap with baking soda into a cleaning paste. There's nothing that I wasn't able to clean with that. Even impressed my MIL with it, and she's one of those ladies who always have an immaculate home, doesn't matter when you come by:D
What do you clean with the soap and baking soda mixture?

What do you clean with the soap and baking soda mixture?
Mostly stuff in the bathroom, it works wonders on soap scum. And I've cleaned the oven with it. All you need is equal parts of dish soap and baking soda, mix it into a somewhat runny paste and then distribute it (doesn't seem to matter if you use a sponge of cloth). I like to let it sit a moment, then rub it a bit and then rinse.
In our old flat, the tub looked bad, not shiny at all anymore and it was all due to soap scum and a build-up of limescale. I tried a bathroom cleaning spray that didn't do anything, but the dish soap/soda paste made short work of it. I wouldn't say it looked brand new but loads better than before. Same with the sink in the old flat: it was a metal sink looking very dull and it looked much better afterward.

Just if you use it in your oven, be careful that you don't smear the paste into the vent, it is a bit difficult to get it all out again if you can't rinse the space, and takes a bit of wiping with a damp cloth. I had a bit of residue left that dries white and crumbly, but it's not harmful.

Reactions: 2
Mostly stuff in the bathroom, it works wonders on soap scum. And I've cleaned the oven with it. All you need is equal parts of dish soap and baking soda, mix it into a somewhat runny paste and then distribute it (doesn't seem to matter if you use a sponge of cloth). I like to let it sit a moment, then rub it a bit and then rinse.
In our old flat, the tub looked bad, not shiny at all anymore and it was all due to soap scum and a build-up of limescale. I tried a bathroom cleaning spray that didn't do anything, but the dish soap/soda paste made short work of it. I wouldn't say it looked brand new but loads better than before. Same with the sink in the old flat: it was a metal sink looking very dull and it looked much better afterward.

Just if you use it in your oven, be careful that you don't smear the paste into the vent, it is a bit difficult to get it all out again if you can't rinse the space, and takes a bit of wiping with a damp cloth. I had a bit of residue left that dries white and crumbly, but it's not harmful.
Brilliant - thanks so much.
Will definitely be giving this a try!

Reactions: 1
  1. I have white shutter blinds in all windows - no curtains nd I think it makes a home more pristine/fresh looking
  2. Put washing away as soon as its dry so it doesn't pile up
  3. Make beds, wash up, hoover etc before I go out so I come home to a clean house
  4. Mop and hoover every day
  5. Candles in every room
  6. Have a theme for every room, e.g downstairs is white walls with black rim mirrors, tv stand in black, black photo frames, etc

• Heart
Reactions: 12
What a brilliant weekend!
How did it go?

My stepdad showed me the Bissell Pro he's got. I was green with envy 😂 I'm getting it all over again catching up on this thread.
Enjoying it, can do windows so quickly! Not bad for a 20 quid vac!

1. I have white shutter blinds in all windows - no curtains nd I think it makes a home more pristine/fresh looking
  2. Put washing away as soon as its dry so it doesn't pile up
  3. Make beds, wash up, hoover etc before I go out so I come home to a clean house
  4. Mop and hoover every day
  5. Candles in every room
  6. Have a theme for every room, e.g downstairs is white walls with black rim mirrors, tv stand in black, black photo frames, etc
Please can you share your mopping technique/method?! (I love the effect of freshly washed floors), but find it such an ordeal to set it all up and go and do it!). Have you a magical mop?! Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.