Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve never really got on board with the Fabulosa carpet foams. I love their kitchen cleaning sprays, but the carpet foam has a weird chemical edge to it that catches in the back of my throat after spraying it. I prefer the 1001 version and they do a foam that’s specifically for getting rid of pet smells in rugs and carpets. You used to be able to get it from B&M, it was £1.99 for a can. 💫
My nails are too long to spray the 1001 😂

I'm LOVING the spot cleaner suggestion, my sofa looks filthy atm because of my horrible kids and this would solve so many problems, my steam cleaner is absolutely crap!
I'm a bit nervous because it's that suede effect fabric though 😬

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
My home isn't glamorous but I like it clean and organised.
I do a big clean 1x weekly then it's easier to keep on top of the rest of the time.
Make my bed as soon as I get up but turn it down so it airs during the day.
Clean kitchen/bathroom surfaces daily and tidy up before bed.
Air the house with windows open (even in winter but only for an hour or so)
Have a regular declutter.
The Sunday Stylist on YouTube has great tips; my favourite is the simplest
"don't put it down, put it away".
It's also good to set a timer for eg 15 mins to do a job I've been putting off like cleaning out a cupboard. Put some music on and it flies in!

Reactions: 17
I also like watching “kayemarieboutique” on tiktok she always gets me motivated!! I would bloody love to have her energy though 😂

The only maintenance is the Sodastream gas cylinder refills which cost around 30euro the first time you purchase one, and then you can do an “exchange” of the refill in Argos for around 20euro. Aarke’s own brand cylinder can’t be exchanged here, so stick with the Sodastream brand! With Brexit, Argos seem to be slow in getting in new cylinders from time to time, so I always try keep a spare full cylinder in stock. We use the Aarke every day and a cylinder lasts us about ten weeks. The machine itself looks great and doesn’t need electricity so you can position it anywhere. Good luck deciding what colour to go for! (Do a bit of Googling before purchasing too - there are good offers to be had on other websites!) . 🍹
Oh fab thank you! I don’t live near an Argos so may need to investigate other solutions. 🧐

Oh fab thank you! I don’t live near an Argos so may need to investigate other solutions. 🧐
You can also swap canisters at the range & sainsburys! I couldn’t live without my soda stream, I love a fizzy drink but hate having to carry bottles into a first floor flat from the car and the Pepsi/7up syrups are always on discount at my sainsburys. That Aarke looks so beautiful it’s got me thinking about an upgrade 👀

• Heart
You can also swap canisters at the range & sainsburys! I couldn’t live without my soda stream, I love a fizzy drink but hate having to carry bottles into a first floor flat from the car and the Pepsi/7up syrups are always on discount at my sainsburys. That Aarke looks so beautiful it’s got me thinking about an upgrade 👀
Thanks for the tip re The Range swapping gas canisters! I’ll keep that advice in my back pocket the next time I go there. I don’t think we have any Sainsbury’s in ROI. Other shops in Ireland do sell Sodastream refills, eg Harvey Norman and Sam Mc Cauley…(but the swapping is a nice way of saving a bit of money and minding the environment). Aarke have recently brought out a new model that uses glass bottles rather than plastic. It looks lovely too, but I have the slightly older model which only takes plastic bottles. To the best of my knowledge, the sodastream plastic bottles also fit the Aarke 3, but I haven’t tried them myself. The appliance comes with one bottle. It’s a good idea to pick up a second one. It’s the kind of gadget that I reckon will last for decades! I used be always buying bottles of fizzy water - it’s lovely to be able to make it up at home any time I want!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Anyone wanting to refresh any fabric furniture I can recommend furniture clinic. We have a 10 year old ikea sofa that we love but it’s looking tired and we just haven’t found the right replacement.

This morning I did an armchair that was bleached in the sun and foot stool to try it out and they look new. A little harder than they were before but I am sure they will soften up with time.

Has anyone tried the shaving foam hack? I want to try it for my sofa
I tried in my old house in the bathroom which smelt of urine
it did get rid of the smell but was a bugger to clean up maybe because I left it too long and it dried up.

how do you use it on a settee ?

Reactions: 1
I tried in my old house in the bathroom which smelt of urine
it did get rid of the smell but was a bugger to clean up maybe because I left it too long and it dried up.

how do you use it on a settee ?
AFAIK, spray and leave it on the sofa for 20 mins, then using a damp cloth scrub/wipe away.

AFAIK, spray and leave it on the sofa for 20 mins, then using a damp cloth scrub/wipe away.
I wouldn’t encourage it, your living room will smell of shaving foam and it is flammable
To freshen my fabric settee I use a cloth, warm water with vinegar and scrub it down or sprinkle with bicarb leave overnight and vac in the morning
I have a dog and this gets rid of the doggy smell

Reactions: 4
For smells that seem to linger in a sofa or general in upholstery and fabric, try an enzyme cleaner spray. They are safe if you have pets and don't mask smells but break them down.
I have one that I initially bought for clothes that seemed to have a weird funky deodorant-failure smell that regular washing couldn't get out and it's great. You just spray it, leave it to soak for a bit and then launder it as usual. The spray was advertised for working against sweat smells, but after watching my goddaughter's sister who had a little nappy accident, I can confirm that it also got rid of a slight urine smell on the sofa.

Reactions: 2
recently discovered hack that I’m LOVING. A capful of Zoflora in the fabric softener section of the washing machine makes the laundry smell amazing. and because I dry my laundry indoors, it is perfuming the apartment as it dries too! Probs not recommended for any real clothes. I just use for towels, sheets, pjs and lounge wear.

Fabric softener is apparently really bad for both fabric and machines btw.

recently discovered hack that I’m LOVING. A capful of Zoflora in the fabric softener section of the washing machine makes the laundry smell amazing. and because I dry my laundry indoors, it is perfuming the apartment as it dries too! Probs not recommended for any real clothes. I just use for towels, sheets, pjs and lounge wear.

Fabric softener is apparently really bad for both fabric and machines btw.
I think zoflora can break washing machines? Not 100% on it

I wouldn’t encourage it, your living room will smell of shaving foam and it is flammable
To freshen my fabric settee I use a cloth, warm water with vinegar and scrub it down or sprinkle with bicarb leave overnight and vac in the morning
I have a dog and this gets rid of the doggy smell
It's more for stain removal I was interested in it. Shouldn't have got a cream sofa when I have a 6 year old

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.