Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are Jo Malone candles worth the price?
You’re buying the label. In terms of performance, they last well and perfume the air well but not so much more than others that it’s worth the price tag.
Zara home standard range are a good middle ground. Look nice and the scent permeates amazingly! They even smell good unlit if you’re close by for the first few weeks.
You can also find some good random brands in TKMaxx

Reactions: 7
I love the Jo malone candles and will also spend a bit of extra money for them. Their scent sprays are also 😍.

Reactions: 4
Are Jo Malone candles worth the price?
I do love them but, find the diffusers are better if you are trying to achieve a lovely smell in the room. I personal think you pay extra for the boxing/bag as it feels like an experience as opposed to just buying a candle. I think Neom are a good cheaper alternative but, still a bit luxurious. I’ve personally found lots of independent candle makers to achieve the best results.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thanks for replies. I'm considering getting one of the big 2kg ones. But for the price don't think I'd ever dare light it 😂😂. I'm redecorating my sons bedroom after Christmas. I want it more colourful. He doesn't really have things he's 'into' (special needs, I don't neglect him honest lol) so feels pointless doing a theme. Any ideas? His room is quiet small and the light doesn't hit it very well.

Reactions: 1
Thanks for replies. I'm considering getting one of the big 2kg ones. But for the price don't think I'd ever dare light it 😂😂. I'm redecorating my sons bedroom after Christmas. I want it more colourful. He doesn't really have things he's 'into' (special needs, I don't neglect him honest lol) so feels pointless doing a theme. Any ideas? His room is quiet small and the light doesn't hit it very well.
What about painting the walls a nice neutral like White Cotton? Last year I redecorated my son's room. It's the box room and doesn't get much light and this colour gives it a bright but warm effect. One wall is black and white Marvel wallpaper. I brought some colour to the room in things like his light fitting, computer desk and chair, cushions, lava lamp (already broken🙄) etc.

He's autistic and can have some pretty awful meltdowns where he breaks things so he hasn't got much 'stuff' either because things often get damaged beyond repair fairly quickly. I'm planning on having some canvases printed of our pet cats and other things he likes as a Christmas gift to help brighten the walls up. I find colourful artwork is a fairly cheap way of bringing in colour and personality to kids rooms and chosen carefully it's something that can grow with them as they enter their teens. I found some A3 sized poster prints of brightly coloured animals on Ebay last year for £8.99 each and just put them in cheap thin, black frames.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I love the diptique candles. Especially baies ❤❤
I treated myself to a couple of Diptyque candles a couple of Christmases ago when Liberty had a really good offer. The Pomander one was ok, really just a strong bergamot scent - the Daylesford bergamot candle is very, very similar for much less so I probably wouldn’t bother again. However, I bought one of the Christmas ones as well and it was really lovely. I think it was the Moonlit Fir one and it was probably the nicest Christmas tree scent I’ve ever smelt. If I ever have spare cash again (laughs in economic crisis) then I would definitely buy again.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I agree with @CatCafe234 I’ve bought Diptyque Xmas candles in the sale from space nk.
I also buy the OG scents when space nk have 20% off.
A few month ago, they were selling diptyque candles on the tk maxx website! I got a fig one.

Reactions: 3
I once bought a Jo Malone candle in wood sage and sea salt as I like the perfume. I didn't think the candle smelled the same as the perfume. I prefer the Diptyque candles.

Reactions: 2
I would never be able to buy Jo Malone candles for myself. I struggle to spend a significant amount on any one item. Quantity always wins over quality for this cheapskate. Though I usually end up spending just as much money and end up with a load of tat!

Knowing me, if I did get one, I’d end up saving up it for a special occasion, never find an occasion worthy enough to light it and it would end up being entirely ornamental and pretty redundant for that purpose.

I do think it’s a really lovely gift for a very certain profile of person. Not everyone will see the value of a designer candle. Some would see it as literally burning money, others would see it as a dream come true!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I once had a Diptyque rose candle and it smelt DIVINE. However I felt I couldn’t just relax and enjoy the smell, I felt like I should blow it out after an hour because of how much it cost! Was like burning money!

While we are on the subject, for Christmas the Yankee Christmas Magic candle is lovely-it smells like tinsel.

Reactions: 10
I have a few of the biggest Jo malone candles that I have had on display in different rooms for a couple years. Decided this year that it’s time to enjoy them so Iv lit one and wow the smell fills my house

• Heart
Does anyone know how to paint over dark/burgundy vanished skirting boards? I am wanting to paint them white.

Does anyone know how to paint over dark/burgundy vanished skirting boards? I am wanting to paint them white.
You are going to have to put some kind of stripper on them and then sand like crazy. Maybe worth just ripping them off and putting on new or upvc ones to cut the coast of painting etc

Strip and sand then use an undercoat paint with your chosen colour on top. I had to get rid of turquoise gloss woodwork once (something entirely self inflicted). It was hard going.

You are going to have to put some kind of stripper on them and then sand like crazy. Maybe worth just ripping them off and putting on new or upvc ones to cut the coast of painting etc
Thank you for the reply. I did think about replacing them however I am unsure how much it would end up costing. Painting is likely to be cheaper however there is a lot of graft to be done. Sanding is the worst part as there's quite of lot vanish (skirting, frames and window sill)

I might have to weigh up the cost and how long it will take

Strip and sand then use an undercoat paint with your chosen colour on top. I had to get rid of turquoise gloss woodwork once (something entirely self inflicted). It was hard going.
Thanks, I've been doing research into it. I believe I've found a good primer but unsure about how to strip it. I thought sanding it down would be enough

Reactions: 1
I’ll just say something re our tendencies to save things for the perfect occasion etc

my granny died with a mink coat in her wardrobe that was entirely moth eaten. She never felt worthy of wearing it. Felt it would be wasted on her. And instead it disintegrated. Wouldn’t it have been better off being worn to death?!

or my mum who is in intensive care right now fighting for her life, and I saw tonight that she has shoes with tags still on, that she didn’t want to wear until she’d fully worn out her near destroyed current pair.

no ”thing” is so precious that we should protect it to out-live us

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 65
I’ll just say something re our tendencies to save things for the perfect occasion etc

my granny died with a mink coat in her wardrobe that was entirely moth eaten. She never felt worthy of wearing it. Felt it would be wasted on her. And instead it disintegrated. Wouldn’t it have been better off being worn to death?!

or my mum who is in intensive care right now fighting for her life, and I saw tonight that she has shoes with tags still on, that she didn’t want to wear until she’d fully worn out her near destroyed current pair.

no ”thing” is so precious that we should protect it to out-live us
Im so sorry about your mum ❤ I’m sure she is in the best place receiving the care she needs. I agree about not keeping things ‘for best’ no one knows what will happen tomorrow xx

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.