Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you!

i cannot watch anything or read anything or listen to anything. I usually spend all my spare time with books but my brain feels broken. I read the same paragraph a dozen times before giving up. This place is the only source of distraction that can seem to hold my attention. I think because there is just such variety in subject matter and there’s no plot to follow and I’m so tired of all the constant small talk in hospital whereas here there is no demand on me to contribute in any way. Tattle is a community service. Naysayers be damned.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Thanks, I've been doing research into it. I believe I've found a good primer but unsure about how to strip it. I thought sanding it down would be enough
You definitely don't need to replace or strip them if the paintwork isn't chipped. A light sand and a couple of coats of (eta decent, not budget) white undercoat before you gloss will cover it.

Source - me and my parents who have redecorated about 10 houses between us, most previously containing hideous dark (mostly brown) paintwork, for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
You definitely don't need to replace or strip them if the paintwork isn't chipped. A light sand and a couple of coats of (eta decent, not budget) white undercoat before you gloss will cover it.

Source - me and my parents who have redecorated about 10 houses between us, most previously containing hideous dark (mostly brown) paintwork, for some reason.
Agree, there is no need for sanding unless you want to do it like a tradesman. We always just put a few coats over it

Reactions: 1
Like others have said I didn’t lite my posh candles (Yankee in a jar) but felt it was wasted so I’ve used them.
I love the Aldi’s dupes, although my husband isn’t a fan on candles 🙈
I agree with wearing stuff instead of just keeping for “best” I used to be like that….but we don’t really go out so never have a best day so I try to wear every day .
My aunt in law spent €250 in Chanel on a belt when we was In Barcelona! Queued for ages and then nearly didn’t buy one! I kinda made her cos I know my husband n his other aunt would of been annoyed! Has she worn it?nope!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have repainted my fireplace wall that's been bugging me for a while. Kids grubby hands and just general marks and it has transformed the room. Looks so fresh and new

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Havin the front garden n path up to the front door all nice n tidy. Makes a difference. Says a lot about the indoors.
I’ve painted the bricks in the porch area white and painted the outshed and hand rails some pots a sage colour. Makes such a difference. 2 other neighbours have done it too.
Living in a council property your restricted with what you can do, our housing officer loves it .

• Heart
I have repainted my fireplace wall that's been bugging me for a while. Kids grubby hands and just general marks and it has transformed the room. Looks so fresh and new
Feel this way when I wipe down the skirting boards!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Got the painter and decorater in before the end of the months. Hallway, living room and my bedroom are being wallpapered. Then in November my new interior doors arrive. I've decided my fella is gonna get me a Jo Malone candle for Christmas and I'll just use it to send him the bat signal. If the candles on the knickers are coming OFF!

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Got the painter and decorater in before the end of the months. Hallway, living room and my bedroom are being wallpapered. Then in November my new interior doors arrive. I've decided my fella is gonna get me a Jo Malone candle for Christmas and I'll just use it to send him the bat signal. If the candles on the knickers are coming OFF!
He'll probably get you 10 now! :LOL:

• Haha
I’ll just say something re our tendencies to save things for the perfect occasion etc

my granny died with a mink coat in her wardrobe that was entirely moth eaten. She never felt worthy of wearing it. Felt it would be wasted on her. And instead it disintegrated. Wouldn’t it have been better off being worn to death?!

or my mum who is in intensive care right now fighting for her life, and I saw tonight that she has shoes with tags still on, that she didn’t want to wear until she’d fully worn out her near destroyed current pair.

no ”thing” is so precious that we should protect it to out-live us
Thinking of you and your Mum. Life is the special occasion, wear the item and light that candle :)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Not tricky at all. Just buy eggshell paint as it stays white longer. Gloss will turn yellow. Unless you are painting a completely different collour
If water-based, gloss paint won't turn yellow. It was the linseed oil historically put in oil based gloss paints that would make it turn yellow over time. It is now almost impossible to buy oil-based paint, so you will be fine.

Are Jo Malone candles worth the price?
They are excellent but super expensive. Their fragrance is far superior to anything else, but I still can't justify the cost - I can comment as I have been gifted them in the past. They smell amazing even when not lit.

Following on from replacing skirting boards painted in dark shades, use Zinniser shellac-based primer - it's runny and a bugger to apply but will cover up EVERYTHING and is a great base for anything and everything. I had a decorating business for years and always got my decorators to use this, Wonderful stuff.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Thank you!

i cannot watch anything or read anything or listen to anything. I usually spend all my spare time with books but my brain feels broken. I read the same paragraph a dozen times before giving up. This place is the only source of distraction that can seem to hold my attention. I think because there is just such variety in subject matter and there’s no plot to follow and I’m so tired of all the constant small talk in hospital whereas here there is no demand on me to contribute in any way. Tattle is a community service. Naysayers be damned.
Thinking of you and your mum. 💛💛💛💛💛 sending healing and positive thoughts your way. Lots of love xxxx

Feel this way when I wipe down the skirting boards!
This is one thing I always try and make time to do! I think it always makes everywhere so much cleaner in an instant!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you!

Also thinking of you and your mum ❤

I am guilty of saving things 'for best' which never get used, or being overly frugal. In my mind I'm still a child who grew up in a low income family, then a broke student, then a hard up single parent. I've had a decent income for the last 15 years but it's a hard habit to shake. I went round 3 shops today for bin bags because I wouldn't pay £1 for 25 🤦‍♀️

I'm trying to get better at lighting my candles, and generally using things. This reminds me I bought new crockery 2 years ago and haven't used it (we have everyday white plates, then special china for Christmas, and then I bought a 'nice everyday' set. And haven't used it. Am using it tomorrow!)

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Also thinking of you and your mum ❤

I am guilty of saving things 'for best' which never get used, or being overly frugal. In my mind I'm still a child who grew up in a low income family, then a broke student, then a hard up single parent. I've had a decent income for the last 15 years but it's a hard habit to shake. I went round 3 shops today for bin bags because I wouldn't pay £1 for 25 🤦‍♀️

I'm trying to get better at lighting my candles, and generally using things. This reminds me I bought new crockery 2 years ago and haven't used it (we have everyday white plates, then special china for Christmas, and then I bought a 'nice everyday' set. And haven't used it. Am using it tomorrow!)
I feel this. I grew up in a very poor country and even though I live in the UK now and are well off I still have an intense fear of being proper homeless, sleeping on the streets.
I find it really hard to use and or wear my best. Never mind spending good money on myself! :LOL: But I'm trying

• Heart
With my empty Jo Malone and Diptyque candle jars I use them to put makeup brushes in etc.

Reactions: 17
Can anybody recommend a good electric blanket. I had a great one that died from Debenhams. Then I recently bought a Silent night one which only worked a few weeks.
I don’t want to spend loads 😊

I had a diptyque mini candle in the scent “roses” and the smell was soooo incredibly strong. I really want to get more and try some new scents! Has anyone tried “Oud”? It sounds lovely

Can anybody recommend a good electric blanket. I had a great one that died from Debenhams. Then I recently bought a Silent night one which only worked a few weeks.
I don’t want to spend loads 😊
Did you return the Silentnight one? They should replace/refund if it's only worked for a few weeks.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.