Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
great towel tips here! Also if anyone hasn’t tried them the towels in primark are some of the softest I’ve ever felt. I’m obsessed, my towels stay fluffy even if I line dry them. I also have some from the white company and we reserve them for guests because the primark ones are so much nicer on your skin. 😍 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
About the vinegar towels are we just doing that once to remove the build up or all the time?

great towel tips here! Also if anyone hasn’t tried them the towels in primark are some of the softest I’ve ever felt. I’m obsessed, my towels stay fluffy even if I line dry them. I also have some from the white company and we reserve them for guests because the primark ones are so much nicer on your skin. 😍 😂
I agree. I bought Christy ones when I became a homeowner (bought them while still living at home and had more cash 😂) and i have bought primark ones since in a similar shade and they’re thicker and fluffier. I always use the tumble drier for towels, mind. Grew up having to use towels that were like sandpaper. Shudder.

Reactions: 3
Since covid started I've actually started adding Dettol to our wash. I only add a little bit otherwise you will smell like anti-septic :LOL: But I really recommend for ensuring your clothes are bacteria/virus free
I soak all my husbands whiffy gym stuff in Dettol or white vinegar before a wash

New tip - kick everyone else out. Honest to jaysis I’m sick of more shite everywhere I turn. And if I clean a room they move into it, mess it up and the pattern continues!
Give everyone jobs. Make a rota. I found that everyone was a little more careful in keeping the place tidier.

Alright beaut. Fancy seeing you here 👀👀👀

• Heart
Another fan of Primark towels 🙋‍♀️ I also like the IKEA narsen bath towels as day to day hand towels. Only 1.75 and last ages.

New to this thread & I’m hoping this is the most appropriate place to ask ….

Does anyone know of any Anthropologie home dupes or similar (budget friendly) shops?

Reactions: 2
Can anyone recommend a good diffuser that uses batteries? I want to put it on a shelf away from the kids but dont have a plug socket near!

About the vinegar towels are we just doing that once to remove the build up or all the time?
I use vinegar instead of fabric conditioner every time I wash towels. I also use it to clean the washing machine and dishwasher on a monthly basis. Just run the machines on a hot programme (60 degrees) with a cup of vinegar instead of detergent. I remove the filter from the dishwasher first and wash this first in hot soapy water.

Reactions: 2
I use vinegar instead of fabric conditioner every time I wash towels. I also use it to clean the washing machine and dishwasher on a monthly basis. Just run the machines on a hot programme (60 degrees) with a cup of vinegar instead of detergent. I remove the filter from the dishwasher first and wash this first in hot soapy water.
Thank you. I’m gonna get some vinegar today and try it.

Reactions: 1
You can do either. White vinegar is a good alternative to fabric softener in general as it will remove soap residue to makes your clothes feel ‘softer’, although obviously it won‘t scent them. A slug in the conditioner drawer works well - the clothes/towels might have a bit of a vinegary whiff when you take them out of the machine but it disappears as they dry.

First timer on this thread, but I'm moving out for the first time with my boyfriend - both early 20's - and we want to make sure we keep our flat clean and tidy, looking boujee but also on a budget so we can save to buy next year (hopefully !!). Does anyone have any tips? We move in 2 weeks 🥰
Congrats firstly, sounds exciting!
If you're both tidy people then you're lucky! My main tip would be to really think about what things you'll want to follow you to a permanent home and which things you just need something that will do, especially if you're going to be in a flat this time and buying a house next. Eg, are you going to be doing much entertaining in the flat and so need like a good quality dining table/chairs or do you just need something functional for now and when you've a different space you want something that suits that and how you'll live in it more. I've moved and helped friends move so many times and there's no greater frustration than struggling down a flight or two of stairs with a heavy table/chair/exercise bike that they bought and never used lol
I'd say to start off it's great to just see how you both naturally use the space you'll be sharing and from the cleaning/tidying side things you'll need outside of your usual items will reveal themselves quickly ;)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Can anyone help me get rid of london limescale on my shower screen?
Blue original harpic but don’t get it on any metallic finishes. Just spread it on the shower screen using a cloth & rubber gloves, leave a minute or two then wipe away the residue & rinse off (with tons of water so it dilutes going down the plug hole of polished or running over any silver bits, it can tarnish)
You can use vinegar in a spray bottle and bicarb, viakal or HG but you’ll probably need a few goes whereas harpic does it in seconds, even super thick.

• Heart
Can anyone help me get rid of london limescale on my shower screen?
Washing up liquid and white vinegar. Sometimes I just use washing up liquid and water. I put it in one of those things where you can fill the handle with soap and the sponge is on the end for ease and use it to clean my bath / sink too they come up sparkling!

Also little tip - do not use pink stuff paste on screen or near the hinges on the screen it eroded mine before and caused the whole screen to fall off and smash over the bathroom

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Washing up liquid and white vinegar. Sometimes I just use washing up liquid and water. I put it in one of those things where you can fill the handle with soap and the sponge is on the end for ease and use it to clean my bath / sink too they come up sparkling!

Also little tip - do not use pink stuff paste on screen or near the hinges on the screen it eroded mine before and caused the whole screen to fall off and smash over the bathroom
Oh my god that might be why my old shower screen fell off!!!! It suddenly gave way and scraped down my leg taking a load of skin off!!!

PS got a new light for me bedroom yesterday. Pic attached!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I only ever clean my shower screen with washing up liquid and a dish brush. I do my windows the same way now as they come up immaculate! No streaks 👌

Reactions: 8
I'm big on bicarb and white vinager. I buy both in bulk from amazon. I use asda non bio for washing clothes its like £6.50 for a massive box and has lasted me and my herd of messy kids and partner a good 4 months so far and a fair bit left. I've been looking for a good thick chunky knitted throw for my sofa. I have a nice woolen one but need a bigger one as the sofa I just got is huge. My house is terraced so thinking of a mirror at the doorway and top of stairs to make it seem less closed in? We are building a porch soon and having a new bathroom fitted as this bathroom is a wet room and 2 of my kids have sensory issues so can't go in a shower and I'm having to bathe them in a big baby bath lol. It's a very small bathroom. I'm thinking dark wall to floor tiles so it's even more cosy. My fella wants a stand alone bath but not sure myself if I'm being honest. Ideas welcome lol.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.