Your most ridiculous irrational fear

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have trypophobia - the fear of small clusters of holes. Makes my skin crawl to even think about it 😖 Also having to dry wet wooden spoons is a hard nope. Oh god, even thinking about the sensation makes me shudder 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Lifts/elevators or to my mind moving coffins

I hate them and will always walk up the stairs unless it’s more than 4 flights as I have asthma then I have to use the lift but sweat and panic 😭

Reactions: 3
I have trypophobia - the fear of small clusters of holes. Makes my skin crawl to even think about it 😖 Also having to dry wet wooden spoons is a hard nope. Oh god, even thinking about the sensation makes me shudder 😩
Argh you just reminded me how much I hate the feeling of cotton wood buds 🤢🤢 when you pull one out and the dryness of them all rubs together ACKKKK it makes me teeth hurt to think about, honestly 😩😅

Reactions: 5
I’ll be in bed at night and I’ll hang my leg out the duvet over the edge of the bed and something in my brain tells me a hand is going to grab my leg from underneath the bed. So I have to quickly put my leg back under the cover 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I remembered another one. I am scared of human-shaped robots, but not robots like you’d see on robot wars for example. I was in tesco about 15 years ago and they had one of the huge ones walking around inside and it was making that robotic noise every time it took a step, occasionally it would chase someone as a joke but I was so worried it’d try to chase me and ever since I’ve been scared of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Drinking a cup of tea and finding a spider in it. 😳
This happened to me once but with coffee. Didn't drink anything but water for a while after that 🤢

I have so many (I have anxiety).
When I was younger I hated swimming pools as I was convinced a shark would get in through the vents.
Hated baths as was convinced a spider would crawl out of the over flow hole.
I've always constantly checked my kids were breathing when they were babies, there were times I was getting so little sleep , it was awful.
These days it's fear of my kids hurting themselves. I won't let them ride down the hill on scooters or bikes as I'm terrified they'll fall off. See kids doing it on the school run and I can't watch, I get panicky. I have awful visions and no medication or therapy can stop it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ll be in bed at night and I’ll hang my leg out the duvet over the edge of the bed and something in my brain tells me a hand is going to grab my leg from underneath the bed. So I have to quickly put my leg back under the cover 🤣
I have this and I also have to sleep with the duvet over me otherwise I think ghosts will touch me in the night 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Someone opening the door while I'm on a public toilet. I always give it a little push/pull to check it's locked even though I just locked it 😄
I had this once. I actually locked the door and someone tried to open it but obviously it didn't open. She then went to get a member of staff who had the key and he unlocked the door whilst I was sitting on the loo 😳😳. It was in Starbucks where they just have the single cubicles so I think the member of staff just thought he hadn't unlocked it that day.

So not to make your fear any worse, but sometimes ensuring you have locked the door isn't enough if a staff member comes over with a key!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Fish either in tanks or in rivers/sea, the thought of fish knocks me sick. Wont even go in a room with a fish tank in! Never used to be scared of them, I have had fish tanks myself but I once had a tropical tank with a red tail shark in and overnight it bloated, turned white and kind of exploded 🤮 worse thing I have ever seen.

Also like someone else has said fear of someone getting in my house through an open door/window and hiding. But that probably comes from being burgled whilst I was in bed once.

Swimming bath changing rooms. All those manky wet feet walking round in a humid environment with athletes foot and verrucas. They always smell pissy too.

Snot, cannot stand the sight of snotty nosed kids when they sniff it back 🤮

• Sick
Reactions: 11
My ex boyfriend left live maggots in my
Fridge once that he planned on using as fish bait, he didn’t put the lid on properly to the tub and I woke up the next day to my fridge full of maggots having a party 🤢
Oh my God, I used to have a fear of maggots...
It was after watching an episode of Grange Hill (in the 80s), where they put maggots on someones chips...couldn't look at chips for months after watching that. 🤢🤮
Just about managed to get over it, then Grange Hill did it again...only it was maggots on a sandwich.

And now thinking about it, I've probably re-triggered that fear.

Reactions: 2
I will beep when leaving the shop when I know I've paid.
If I buy something from the supermarket that always beeps specifically clothes/homeware I tell the security guard that I'm going to beep on my way out. I then smugly glide through the alarms knowing "I'm alright I've paid and I've got security guards blessing"😆
*of ourse I'm being probably being judged by fellow shoppers not only thinking I'm a thief but a smug gliding thief at that🤣

Reactions: 1
I get severe anxiety attacks about collapsing floors. It can be triggered by people jumping around on a slightly bouncy creaky floor or going over a bridge in a heavily loaded car. I have been given numerous talks on how buildings are engineered and how unlikely collapse is but in the midst of an attack it doesn’t help. I find taking baths an ordeal because of it too.

what does help enormously is a trick someone told me that helps ‘ground’ you in reality. You think of 5 things you can see, 4 you can hear, imagine the feel of 3 things, the smell of 2 and by the end your mind has been completely taken away from the panic.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I’m petrified of heights and water. But I have an irrational fear that I’m going to throw myself or my belongings off the edge. I live near water and there’s a popular walk around the river, I have to walk pressed against the wall as far away as possible, hold on to my boyfriend and he has to take all of my things off of me, I can’t even have my phone in my pocket.
There’s been times he has taken his own phone out and I’ve been so scared I was gonna bat it out his hand in to the water
I don’t know why I would ever throw anything or myself over but I honestly crawl up inside myself at the thought and urge that I’m going to do it 😬

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I’m petrified of heights and water. But I have an irrational fear that I’m going to throw myself or my belongings off the edge. I live near water and there’s a popular walk around the river, I have to walk pressed against the wall as far away as possible, hold on to my boyfriend and he has to take all of my things off of me, I can’t even have my phone in my pocket.
There’s been times he has taken his own phone out and I’ve been so scared I was gonna bat it out his hand in to the water
I don’t know why I would ever throw anything or myself over but I honestly crawl up inside myself at the thought and urge that I’m going to do it 😬
I get this, they are called intrusive thoughts. I went on a cliff walk once and was worried I'd jump off 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I get severe anxiety attacks about collapsing floors. It can be triggered by people jumping around on a slightly bouncy creaky floor or going over a bridge in a heavily loaded car. I have been given numerous talks on how buildings are engineered and how unlikely collapse is but in the midst of an attack it doesn’t help. I find taking baths an ordeal because of it too.

what does help enormously is a trick someone told me that helps ‘ground’ you in reality. You think of 5 things you can see, 4 you can hear, imagine the feel of 3 things, the smell of 2 and by the end your mind has been completely taken away from the panic.
OH MY GOD I have this exact fear about my house falling down i limit my possessions so the house isn’t too heavy an get anxious when my sister brings big suitcases home! I didn’t take a bath for ages for fear of the weight of it too!! Xx

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5