Your most ridiculous irrational fear

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OH MY GOD I have this exact fear about my house falling down i limit my possessions so the house isn’t too heavy an get anxious when my sister brings big suitcases home! I didn’t take a bath for ages for fear of the weight of it too!! Xx
Oh wow! I have never in my life known anyone that has this. Heavy suitcases freak me out too. It’s not constant for me - luckily or I’d have been committed lol - but when I get the thought in my head I want to curl up in a ball.

I lived in a bungalow for about 3 years and they were (looking back) the most stress free years of my life.

Thank you fellow weirdo, I actually feel emotional and validated xxxxxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Swimming in deep water, the water being deep enough that you can only see darkness beneath you - I love it but I'm scared of it at the same time.

• Sick
Reactions: 8
Swimming in deep water, the water being deep enough that you can only see darkness beneath you - I love it but I'm scared of it at the same time.
It takes me a while to get the confidence to go deep into the sea but once I do I love it. I don’t think it’s irrational to be scared though, the seas and oceans are dangerous but the joy of it outweighs the fear for me.

My fear and respect for the ocean came after I went knee deep into the sea at a remotish beach on the west coast of Mexico. We were warned by the guide very loosely)that you must be a competent swimmer (I was a very good swimmer at the time). I had never experienced waves that came in hard but sucked you back in even harder. I was knocked off my feet and dragged back into the sea and couldn’t find my footing to get up and back to shore, there was no one within shouting distance to help as they were sitting on the beach. I cannot describe the terror I felt but I managed to desperately sort myself out. My swimming skills were not of any use whatsoever.

Since then I have an entirely rational fear of large bodies of water that don’t have lifeguards and people checking the conditions on a regular basis.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
That if I have children they will end up feeling the same way I do about my own parents.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
OH MY GOD I have this exact fear about my house falling down i limit my possessions so the house isn’t too heavy an get anxious when my sister brings big suitcases home! I didn’t take a bath for ages for fear of the weight of it too!! Xx
i feel incredibly validated by this!

ceiling collapse (or any kind of collapse in a house) is my greatest fear. i think i said upthread but a colleague was dealing with subsidence caused by a tree when i was moving into my house. i also had a small water leak from the bath the first week i was there and it consumed me for at least the first year i was there. i’m embarrassed to say how long i spent, in the dark, shining the torch of my phone onto the ceiling so i could identify any new cracks 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

my dad eventually made me watch a whole seminar on the construction of houses and how unlikely is but whenever my house makes a house noise i’m like “well, this is it” 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Not always, but if I'm having a period of general anxiety anyway I sometimes get freaked out by the sky. I think the underlying issue is related to fear of being outdoors and exposed, but it comes out as fear of the sky specifically.
When I was little, doing headstands at playtime, I opened my eyes and looked at the sky, and then felt really scared that I might fall into the sky!

Also, I'm scared of windows and mirrors at night when it's dark. The curtains or blinds must be closed, and if I walk past a mirror in the dark I have to run past and not look in case I see something that shouldn't be there.

Oh! And when I go to bed, the drawers and doors must be completely closed, and I don't let my hand fall off the bed - I keep imagining *something* grabbing it 😱

Reactions: 3
I have an irrational fear of being robbed. I've never been involved in a burglary before so it's not a past trauma but it genuinely causes me sleepless nights. It's driving me nuts. I lie awake all night, heart pounding, convincing myself I can hear people around the house. Sometimes I have to get up and check outside. I won't leave my dog out during the day if I'm not there (in the back garden with all gates padlocked) for fear she will get robbed. If I get in the shower I'm convinced someone will Rob the house whole I'm in there.

Reactions: 7
The way vines clamber and grow up walls, buildings, streetlights, anything it can get its vineage on! HA IS VINEAGE EVEN A WORD?😂When I see them completely encasing someones house and their window, it gives me the creeps!!!
I hate creepy plants, especially those that grow spiral-shaped tendrils that wrap around anything in their way.....urrrgh.

I've got a houseplant that moves after I've watered it. The leaves will suddenly wave around slightly, like they're stretching out after a sleep? It really freaks me out when I see it 😱

• Heart
I hate creepy plants, especially those that grow spiral-shaped tendrils that wrap around anything in their way.....urrrgh.

I've got a houseplant that moves after I've watered it. The leaves will suddenly wave around slightly, like they're stretching out after a sleep? It really freaks me out when I see it 😱
I hate trees that have what look like roots growing around the trunk. When I was little I called them "creepy trees"! 😂

Reactions: 2
i feel incredibly validated by this!

ceiling collapse (or any kind of collapse in a house) is my greatest fear. i think i said upthread but a colleague was dealing with subsidence caused by a tree when i was moving into my house. i also had a small water leak from the bath the first week i was there and it consumed me for at least the first year i was there. i’m embarrassed to say how long i spent, in the dark, shining the torch of my phone onto the ceiling so i could identify any new cracks 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

my dad eventually made me watch a whole seminar on the construction of houses and how unlikely is but whenever my house makes a house noise i’m like “well, this is it” 🤣
I feel a bit emotional reading this. I really thought I was alone and bonkers. My husband is a builder, he built our extension and loft conversion. I know exactly how houses are constructed, how building regulations and structural engineers ensure that buildings are over engineered to hold weights well above anything you could imagine in a normal household.
None of this info helps when I get a panic attack about it. I start thinking about how the wardrobe in my sons room, full of heavy clothes is right above the most open area of the ground floor. When I get on a plane I panic about how the weight of all suitcases.
It’s so ridiculous and the 5 steps to ground yourself works every time but it’s really amazing to hear that other people have this issue xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I find the concept of outer space scary - I don't think I can get my head round the back idea of infinity. And it's silent too...

It gives me a weird feeling, like vertigo 🪐😳

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
I'm scared of bugs crawling in my ears. When I was younger I used to sleep with a pair of knickers on my head!

I also hate flying (maybe not so irrational) to the point I get scared watching a programme showing a plane!

• Haha
Birds but specifically pigeons, chicken and geese. City centre pigeons with their pecking round your feet and flying in your face scare the bejesus out of me. My grandparents had chickens and geese when I was growing up and I used to stay with them during summer holidays. Being sent out to the shed to get my grandpa for lunch terrified me as they all roamed free and you'd get the chickens flocking round your feet and the geese would hiss at you. They also move really fast and aren't afraid to have a go!

I went to a bird garden place with my husband years ago and I was fine with all the ones in enclosures but then there were chickens who were clearly used to being fed by visitors so keep following me. I was in tears trying to get away from them, husband laughed and took pictures 😭 I also went to another bird place a few years back (why!) and I didn't realise they had geese. Out of 7 of us there, I was the only one they went for and tried to eat my trousers 😭😭 Husband was pissing himself obviously!

• Haha
I have an irrational fear of being robbed. I've never been involved in a burglary before so it's not a past trauma but it genuinely causes me sleepless nights. It's driving me nuts. I lie awake all night, heart pounding, convincing myself I can hear people around the house. Sometimes I have to get up and check outside. I won't leave my dog out during the day if I'm not there (in the back garden with all gates padlocked) for fear she will get robbed. If I get in the shower I'm convinced someone will Rob the house whole I'm in there.
Same here. Before I go have a shower when I am home alone I check all the doors, windows, and any unexpected noise causes anxiety. I have never been robbed either.

I find the concept of outer space scary - I don't think I can get my head round the back idea of infinity. And it's silent too...

It gives me a weird feeling, like vertigo 🪐😳
My son has this exact same fear, he describes it in the same way as you.

I'm an amateur astronomer, so you can imagine my disappointment in him! 🤣

• Heart
I have a fear of large objects such as electricity pylons. I don’t know what it is, they just make me really uncomfortable. :sick:

Reactions: 6
I have a really specific irrational fear of having a car crash while driving long distance / being on holiday and my house is a mess and then imaging my mum having to come and sort out my house and her abiding memory being that I was messy and her feeling that she didn’t bring me up right.

It’s irrational because 1: I’m sure my tidyness level would be the last thing on my grieving mother’s mind, and 2: I could die any time and not just when I go away, but I still can’t get out of the habit of making sure I clean the house top to bottom if I go away (even if I really don’t have time)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Looking out a window at night incase there's someone/something out in the dark looking back!

Reactions: 13