Your most ridiculous irrational fear

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel a bit emotional reading this. I really thought I was alone and bonkers. My husband is a builder, he built our extension and loft conversion. I know exactly how houses are constructed, how building regulations and structural engineers ensure that buildings are over engineered to hold weights well above anything you could imagine in a normal household.
None of this info helps when I get a panic attack about it. I start thinking about how the wardrobe in my sons room, full of heavy clothes is right above the most open area of the ground floor. When I get on a plane I panic about how the weight of all suitcases.
It’s so ridiculous and the 5 steps to ground yourself works every time but it’s really amazing to hear that other people have this issue xx
My goodness I never knew anyone else would have this too. I’m so glad I replied saying I have the same thing. I suffer from anxiety and intrusive thoughts and thought no one would ever have this same fear! Ive worried my bed is too heavy and considered swapping it to a lighter one, made my sister do clear outs as she hoards a lot and I feel her room will fall out 😂 I will refuse new furniture because it’s too heavy for upstairs , loads more and if someone jumps upstairs or drops a heavy thing omg I get really irritated at them and tell them to stop stop the house will fall down !!! Tbh this is the least of my crazy weird things as I said I do suffer with my mental health but wow! Fellow friends xxxx crazy what we as women struggle with alone thinking we are just weird and if we all stopped putting on a normal happy front we would realise we all do struggle in some similar ways xxx I never realised anyone had intrusive thoughts till I realised what I was having and starting googling it ❤ Love you all xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Wotsits.
Yep, I have a very real phobia of Wotsits 😱
I literally can't be near anyone eating them, anyone comes near me with them I run/hide/panic/cry.
If this helps you feel any less unusual (even though it's not the same), I dislike eating Wotsits because they make my teeth feel claustrophobic.

I have a really specific irrational fear of having a car crash while driving long distance / being on holiday and my house is a mess and then imaging my mum having to come and sort out my house and her abiding memory being that I was messy and her feeling that she didn’t bring me up right.

It’s irrational because 1: I’m sure my tidyness level would be the last thing on my grieving mother’s mind, and 2: I could die any time and not just when I go away, but I still can’t get out of the habit of making sure I clean the house top to bottom if I go away (even if I really don’t have time)
I can totally relate. I tidy my house before I go away for similar reasons. I used to be really quite obsessive about it and it used to cause me a lot of anxiety. The idea of people coming in once I was dead and finding a mess was too much. I've got better over the years and it doesn't make me feel the tumoil it used to but I'll still be spending tomorrow cleaning before I go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I am scared that my ceiling fan is going to fall down on me whilst I’m lying in bed and chop me to pieces. I should laugh, but it genuinely scares me.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Someone spitting in or licking my water bottle when I leave it unattended.

Reactions: 5
Being buried or cremated alive.
The thought of listening to a relative in the church saying 'she had a smile that lit up the room, she would do anything for anyone, everyone she met loved her' and all that bollocks whilst I'm trapped in the coffin fully conscious but unable to move or speak but can hear everything going on 😢

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
My heart goes out to those of you who struggle with intrusive thoughts. ❤ I've always had an overactive mind and been very visual from a young age but I started having absurd or scary thoughts post-menopause. I suffer from mild anxiety as well but I suppose I have an irrational fear of HRT or anxiety meds as I don't want to possibly feel unlike myself. I have coping mechanisms that usually help with the thoughts.

I have a fear of sudden impact: being in a car crash (I've experienced two as a passenger) or hitting my head.

My most irrational fear is probably june bugs. Someone mentioned whales being too big, well, june bugs are definitely too big to function. 😄 I had a nightmare of a summer with them getting into an air conditioner and trying to make their way into my apartment through tape and cardboard I had around the a/c. They're huge, slow, drunken fliers, eurgh. I'm practically a Buddhist so would never end one's life but I'm always relieved when their zombie season is over.

• Heart
I get so scared I’m gonna be attacked or kidnapped. Even walking in broad daylight, down an empty alley my head is swivelling back and forth looking for anyone who could be lurking in the bushes. I don’t walk anywhere at night, I always get my fiancé or my friends to come with me

I get so scared I’m gonna be attacked or kidnapped. Even walking in broad daylight, down an empty alley my head is swivelling back and forth looking for anyone who could be lurking in the bushes. I don’t walk anywhere at night, I always get my fiancé or my friends to come with me
I really wish this was irrational but unfortunately in this world it's a actually super rational and makes total sense to be so afraid 💞 I completely understand, I've had some scary moments!

• Heart
Balloons. Cannot stand them and once passed out after a panic attack when someone was selling them from a whole bunch of helium balloons.

If I get invited to any sort of party, I don't go if balloons are going to be there. The sight of them starts off sweaty hands and rapid breathing.

People dressed as animals. Same as balloons, sweaty hands and panic attacks especially when they head straight for you.

And I check my husband and son are breathing around 4 times a night too and will nudge them if I can't hear or feel anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I get really irrationally anxious whenever I remember that tidal waves exist. I find them terrifying.

Oh and at least once a month I get an anxiety dream where I'm doing my A Levels and haven't revised...I'm 33.

Oh and at least once a month I get an anxiety dream where I'm doing my A Levels and haven't revised...I'm 33.
not quite the same but every so often, usually at 2am, i will sit bolt upright in bed and think WHERE ARE MY A-LEVEL CERTIFICATES?!?!

i’m 36, i haven’t needed to show my certificates to anyone for about 15 years, but apparently i have a terrible fear of losing them and needing to produce them for something urgent 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Feel paralysed with fear looking down from a very tall building. It makes me feel really ill.

Always worry in the gym lifting weights lying down that I will drop one on my face and smash my front teeth.

I totally get the fear looking into a mirror or window late at night and potentially seeing another person behind me.

Hate being a passenger in the back seat of a car without a door. I am convinced if there is a crash I will be unable to exit.

Cannot sit in a plane by the window. Huge fear of being stuck there if the others fall asleep.

Cannot sit in the very back/boot of a car with a hatchback - sometimes when we were children we would be put there. Would give me real palpitations.

Sometimes wake up in a sweat terrified of having to do an exam - especially in a language I don't know at all.

Reactions: 1
I've had a fear for years of being away from home, coming back and finding we can't get in, someone else is living there and we can't get them out. I refused to watch that recent ITV series 'Our House', too triggering.

I really wish this was irrational but unfortunately in this world it's a actually super rational and makes total sense to be so afraid 💞 I completely understand, I've had some scary moments!
Totally rational but sometimes I get so so scared. I was walking today and a man was on the phone and he started walking towards me and speaking, and I nearly jumped out of my skin. But he was just pacing…

not quite the same but every so often, usually at 2am, i will sit bolt upright in bed and think WHERE ARE MY A-LEVEL CERTIFICATES?!?!

i’m 36, i haven’t needed to show my certificates to anyone for about 15 years, but apparently i have a terrible fear of losing them and needing to produce them for something urgent 🤣
I needed my GCSE certificates for a qualification I was sitting a few years ago. I had just moved house and they were gone 😱 I ended up having to re sit 3 in 2 weeks at 34 with a sleep hating toddler, sleep with them under your pillow !!

Escalators, up fine, down = swirly tum.

• Wow
Balloons. Cannot stand them and once passed out after a panic attack when someone was selling them from a whole bunch of helium balloons.

If I get invited to any sort of party, I don't go if balloons are going to be there. The sight of them starts off sweaty hands and rapid breathing.

People dressed as animals. Same as balloons, sweaty hands and panic attacks especially when they head straight for you.

And I check my husband and son are breathing around 4 times a night too and will nudge them if I can't hear or feel anything.
The balloons is unusual! Do you have any idea where it stems from?

Door slams, sitting on the plug/drain side of the bath (genuinely makes me want to puke sitting over it even with the stopper in) and balloons. But with balloons it’s them popping that scares me, I’m fine seeing them but hate holding them or being really close to them.

I can so resonate with you here. Absolutely terrified of them!! Have never had a bad experience as a child with them, I'm not sure where it stemmed from! Hate!!