Women with ADHD - diagnosis in adulthood

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do you think the differences are between Elvanse and Concerta?

I’ve been on Elvanse for nearly 5 months. It’s ok. It definately does do something but it’s not as strong as i thought it would be.

Side effects are defo dry mouth, I’ve had a couple of headaches. Loss of appetite too, I’ve lost nearly a stone! Not that I’m complaining about that.

Work is going ok now but I’ve also started a remote job so it’s kind of a combination of the meds and the difference in role.

BTW - I’m the OP of this thread but on a new account.
I've just started on Concerta after being on Intuitiv for a couple of months. I preferred the intuitiv, my BP fell too low and got swapped to Concerta. Working has become easier, I found that I had a big crash about 6pm and now stagger my dose taking some in the morning and topping up mid-afternoon.

I lost a stone in 3 weeks on Intuitiv and have stayed roughly the same weight now for 2 months on the Concerta which is unheard of for me.

Reactions: 1
I've thought I possibly have ADHD for some time now.

I cannot focus at all. I find myself zoning out a lot. I get side tracked a lot.
I am the scattiest, most disorganised person ever. I feel like everything is chaotic. Like im constantly in a rush.
Constantly misplacing things.
My attention span is so poor I can barely watch TV. I struggle even with 30 minutes episodes.
I constantly am restless. I cannot sit still. I will fidget continously.
I often find myself pacing around the house because I feel so restless. I can't sit still.

Does anyone else have issues with their GP being so dismissive? Called my doctors surgery about it, wasn't my usual GP. I got this very haughty woman who basically said that if I did have ADHD, I'd be diagnosed by now as I'm coming up for 22. Didn't even let me explain what's led me to think this. Totally shut me down and kept talking over me. Really pissed off.

• Angry
Reactions: 2

I cannot focus at all. I find myself zoning out a lot. I get side tracked a lot.
I am the scattiest, most disorganised person ever. I feel like everything is chaotic. Like im constantly in a rush.
My attention span is so poor I can barely watch TV. I struggle even with 30 minutes episodes.
I often find myself pacing around the house because I feel so restless. I can't sit still.

Does anyone else have issues with their GP being so dismissive? Called my doctors surgery about it, wasn't my usual GP. I got this very haughty woman who basically said that if I did have ADHD, I'd be diagnosed by now as I'm coming up for 22. Didn't even let me explain what's led me to think this. Totally shut me down and kept talking over me. Really pissed off.
That’s really bad. Definitely contact them again and try to speak to someone else!

That’s really bad. Definitely contact them again and try to speak to someone else!
I think I will need to. I expected this response from my GP. I'm at college too, struggling a lot academically. I'm struggling with restlessness and focusing in class and managing the workload too.

My college advisor is willing to write a supporting letter if my GP is still uncooperative again.

It's tough because I've grown up getting good grades without much effort,so I've thought myself as being much more intelligent than I actually am. So I've always been perceived as lazy but I am trying. I just cannot help it.

I share almost all your traits but not the restlessness. I'm more likely to be lethargic, but the chaos, disorganization, oh my the losing things. It's exhausting. Try again to speak to another doctor. You have a right. Go armed with your information clearly laid out. Say you need an extended appointment and if the receptionist quizzes you why, say it's a deeply personal women's issue.

I share almost all your traits but not the restlessness. I'm more likely to be lethargic, but the chaos, disorganization, oh my the losing things. It's exhausting. Try again to speak to another doctor. You have a right. Go armed with your information clearly laid out. Say you need an extended appointment and if the receptionist quizzes you why, say it's a deeply personal women's issue.
Adhd can cause extreme tiredness too, I bounce between being basically unable to move to being full of beans.

Reactions: 3
Adhd can cause extreme tiredness too, I bounce between being basically unable to move to being full of beans.
Yes indeed. I can have a massive burst of energy, get organized and see a bright future and then I wake up from the dream.

Yes indeed. I can have a massive burst of energy, get organized and see a bright future and then I wake up from the dream.
Story of my life 🤪 I’ve been on methylphenidate for 2 weeks now and the difference is substantial overall. I haven’t wanted to binge eat which was my biggest hope ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
That must be amazing. Early on in the thread there was a poster who said she was only really happy when she was eating or spending money! I really got that.

Reactions: 4
Anyone have any tips for managing the constant need to press the dopamine button? Im either constantly seeking out chocolate or impulsively spending, I understand the biology behind why, but after the birth of my child demand avoidance has become paralysing and I’m really struggling to control my impulsiveness with both food and finances, does anyone have a tried and tested way to be more in control?

I've been considering recently whether I have ADHD, I fit some of the criteria but not others. And also part of me wonders whether at my advanced age (50) it will benefit me now either? (to put a label on it)

I know a couple of people with ADHD (diagnosed), they are hopelessly disorganized, struggle to hold down a job, lose everything, miss appointments etc

For me, I am a horrendous procrastinator and I'm getting worse. I leave everything to the last minute and then have to flog myself to death to get it done. I find anything else to do but the thing I should. I find it hard to sit still in meetings etc, I doodle, play with my hair, scratch etc. My ex used to say I was like 'a mental patient' (nice 😑) because of the constant fidgeting. If I have to sit still it literally feels like I will explode. I always have the tv on while I'm on my phone, I have to be doing several things at once, my parents used to say I had a grasshopper mind as I'd bounce from one thing to another. I find most people really slow, and get bored with conversations or interrupt them. Sometimes I even interrupt myself 🤣

But I rarely lose things and don't miss appointments, I am very lucky to have a good memory (it got me through all my exams when procrastination meant I'd only started revising a few days before!) so that gets me through.

I've been considering recently whether I have ADHD, I fit some of the criteria but not others. And also part of me wonders whether at my advanced age (50) it will benefit me now either? (to put a label on it)

I know a couple of people with ADHD (diagnosed), they are hopelessly disorganized, struggle to hold down a job, lose everything, miss appointments etc

For me, I am a horrendous procrastinator and I'm getting worse. I leave everything to the last minute and then have to flog myself to death to get it done. I find anything else to do but the thing I should. I find it hard to sit still in meetings etc, I doodle, play with my hair, scratch etc. My ex used to say I was like 'a mental patient' (nice 😑) because of the constant fidgeting. If I have to sit still it literally feels like I will explode. I always have the tv on while I'm on my phone, I have to be doing several things at once, my parents used to say I had a grasshopper mind as I'd bounce from one thing to another. I find most people really slow, and get bored with conversations or interrupt them. Sometimes I even interrupt myself 🤣

But I rarely lose things and don't miss appointments, I am very lucky to have a good memory (it got me through all my exams when procrastination meant I'd only started revising a few days before!) so that gets me through.
Everyone presents differently and I think re dx it’s only useful if you want some self forgiveness in my case (for all the mad tit I’ve done on impulse and thought was because I was a bad person/desperate loser with no morals) or meds to help with life stuff. X

• Heart
Anyone have any tips for managing the constant need to press the dopamine button? Im either constantly seeking out chocolate or impulsively spending, I understand the biology behind why, but after the birth of my child demand avoidance has become paralysing and I’m really struggling to control my impulsiveness with both food and finances, does anyone have a tried and tested way to be more in control?
No sorry but I do empathise. Was in a chocolate coma earlier. Spent money I shouldn't have yesterday. Short of being locked in my house, I have no idea how to curb these impulses! 😑

No answers but I struggle so much with this. I've wondered for some years now as to whether I have ADHD but I haven't really mentioned it IRL because I don't think anyone would take me seriously. Does anyone feel like this? Looking back I can see the multiple ways I've masked my struggles/internalized my anxiety but it means that I don't think people who know me will take me seriously.

For me, I'm very restless and always doing something but not very productively unless I have a deadline nearby. I've always worked better in a structured environment (I work in healthcare and find it so much easier to organise myself in a high paced environment versus slow moving wards) but really have to hold myself back from interrupting people in conversations, and often lose track of conversations (especially in noisy environments). I find I get quite obsessive about things and then get lost/zoned in to those things for a while. I'm incredibly disorganised and forever lose keys etc/forget to lock the car and really struggle with a messy home. I also get to a point where I've reached my limit sensory wise and just need to be alone, somewhere quiet.

On the surface of it though, I did well at school, uni and have held down jobs and relationships fine but underneath it I've always had to work hard to understand what's expected of me and find ways to focus/get the work done.

No answers but I struggle so much with this. I've wondered for some years now as to whether I have ADHD but I haven't really mentioned it IRL because I don't think anyone would take me seriously. Does anyone feel like this? Looking back I can see the multiple ways I've masked my struggles/internalized my anxiety but it means that I don't think people who know me will take me seriously.

For me, I'm very restless and always doing something but not very productively unless I have a deadline nearby. I've always worked better in a structured environment (I work in healthcare and find it so much easier to organise myself in a high paced environment versus slow moving wards) but really have to hold myself back from interrupting people in conversations, and often lose track of conversations (especially in noisy environments). I find I get quite obsessive about things and then get lost/zoned in to those things for a while. I'm incredibly disorganised and forever lose keys etc/forget to lock the car and really struggle with a messy home. I also get to a point where I've reached my limit sensory wise and just need to be alone, somewhere quiet.

On the surface of it though, I did well at school, uni and have held down jobs and relationships fine but underneath it I've always had to work hard to understand what's expected of me and find ways to focus/get the work done.
Are we twins? Literally point for point I’m exactly the same! I debate trialling medications all the time as I wonder what it would be like to wake up one day and say “I’m going to do a task” and then actually do the task, but I’ve read that it can cause bone density loss, and if my choice is perpetually messy home or breaking bones every month in retirement I think I may have to stick with my leaning towers of clothes that never get put away

Are we twins? Literally point for point I’m exactly the same! I debate trialling medications all the time as I wonder what it would be like to wake up one day and say “I’m going to do a task” and then actually do the task, but I’ve read that it can cause bone density loss, and if my choice is perpetually messy home or breaking bones every month in retirement I think I may have to stick with my leaning towers of clothes that never get put away
Sorry, it's not the best thing to twin with 😂 although I do find it reassuring when I find people who are similar. I'm the same at the moment with medication - I'm in my thirties and it's all I've ever known so I figure I may as well just continue. I'm aware that I'm really fortunate that's it not impacted more but I also think it could have made a huge impact if I'd known this as a teenager. I spent years thinking something was "wrong" with me - stroke, brain tumour, hard of hearing, autoimmune illness....just because I've known I struggle cognitively but never understood why. I remember the immense relief when I started to understand ADHD and how it presents.

Does anyone find they crash each night but will wake at the crack of dawn and be immediately alert and unable to go back to sleep?

You could be me. Imposter syndrome about having ADHD is classic adhd. I was convinced I was making it up then the Dr was like, lol no. I did well at school and have 2 degrees and I still leave the hob on and forget to pay for parking.

Sorry, it's not the best thing to twin with 😂 although I do find it reassuring when I find people who are similar. I'm the same at the moment with medication - I'm in my thirties and it's all I've ever known so I figure I may as well just continue. I'm aware that I'm really fortunate that's it not impacted more but I also think it could have made a huge impact if I'd known this as a teenager. I spent years thinking something was "wrong" with me - stroke, brain tumour, hard of hearing, autoimmune illness....just because I've known I struggle cognitively but never understood why. I remember the immense relief when I started to understand ADHD and how it presents.

Does anyone find they crash each night but will wake at the crack of dawn and be immediately alert and unable to go back to sleep?
The meds have helped me with sleep. I find now it’s just best to get up when I wake up as I never get back to sleep!

I'm in desperate need of my psychiatrist appointment. My GP won't prescribe me any medication until I've had my referral - even though I scored highly on the assessment form and had a lengthy chat with her, where she even said herself I have got ADHD.

It's massively impacting my life. My attention span is 0, which makes my job hard (I'm doing a PhD with a December deadline which is stressful 😂). I also have massive hyper moments, then I just crash.

Has anyone noticed their sleep being rubbish? I haven't had a solid's night sleep in months because I can't switch my brain off.

I'm in desperate need of my psychiatrist appointment. My GP won't prescribe me any medication until I've had my referral - even though I scored highly on the assessment form and had a lengthy chat with her, where she even said herself I have got ADHD.

It's massively impacting my life. My attention span is 0, which makes my job hard (I'm doing a PhD with a December deadline which is stressful 😂). I also have massive hyper moments, then I just crash.

Has anyone noticed their sleep being rubbish? I haven't had a solid's night sleep in months because I can't switch my brain off.
Mine was always terrible, since I was a kid for that reason 😔

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.