Women with ADHD - diagnosis in adulthood

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The weird thing is I’m so clearly hydrated, I’m necking water, but my tongue feels like it’s breadcrumbed.

I haven’t been advised anything re: caffeine but I decided to not have any and I think that’s what causing most of the headache tbh.

Reactions: 2
The weird thing is I’m so clearly hydrated, I’m necking water, but my tongue feels like it’s breadcrumbed.

I haven’t been advised anything re: caffeine but I decided to not have any and I think that’s what causing most of the headache tbh.
It can rapidly increase heart rate.

Reactions: 1

Yea it’s likely withdrawal! I have decaff now and the odd cup of tea but I wasn’t a huge tea belly anyway. I still get occasional dry mouth and deffo drink a lot more but that’s probably a good thing.

I’ll be honest I hated elvanse. The dry mouth never fucked off and the difference was barely noticeable… I tried 4 months and chucked it. Concerta has been the one for me

oh I know, that’s why I’m not having any caffeine!
I’m such a caffeine fiend the withdrawal is gonna be rough 😭

After day 1 I don’t feel too bad, headache was probably exacerbated by lack of sleep last night and office air con 🥶

How did you find the day. Did you notice anything in terms of actions and the focus side?

How did you find the day. Did you notice anything in terms of actions and the focus side?
Not sure if this was aimed at me but I haven't noticed much... but the urge to spend money/stuff myself with food does seem a little lower which are 2 huge issues for me.

Reactions: 3
Not sure if this was aimed at me but I haven't noticed much... but the urge to spend money/stuff myself with food does seem a little lower which are 2 huge issues for me.
This is how I feel.

I managed to get a task done without any breaks for phone etc which was a new thing.

It’s almost less that I notice it’s there, it’s more I notice when it’s wearing off.

I share those two issues. Very compulsive with both. It's been lifelong too.

It’s a huge relief to know others have the same issues as me. I only wish I was diagnosed sooner 🙃

day 3 and I’m away for the weekend.. feeling a little nervous about it (involves being centre of attention at points 😳)

• Heart
Hey all - new to the thread

I spoke to my Gp back in March and was given a question are to complete. Managed to get this back to them in June (should be some evidence towards my diagnosis!!) and called my GP last week to ask about estimated referral times, to find out they never submitted the referral - so I’m really frustrated I’ve lost three months.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could let me know how long they waited before hearing anything? Not expecting anything speedy but trying to weigh up if going private is an option. Thanks.

the meds are here and i am terrified to take them - so many side effects!!

I got told not to take any on holiday because my doctor said I probably won’t need them then, but I’m worried to start taking them and then not taking them for a week
If it helps, depending on what type you are prescribed, there shouldn't be an issue taking a break. My son was medicated like this throughout his childhood, so school times and any 'away' holidays he'd be medicated but weekends and holiday time at home he wasn't. Also, it helped his appetite because it was diminished a bit when he took the medication so he was able to enjoy eating normally at other times.

My brother filled mine in even though he was a child at the time too. My dad was pretty useless and my mum is dead. Funnily enough I’d been through a big box of school stuff a year or so before and I found it so sad to read I threw it away. All variations of ‘bright but lazy, could so much better if she applied herself’ in primary school and ‘lazy, talkative, disruptive, not reaching her potential, relies on her intelligence not hard work’ etc. I know it was the 90s but it was there, and nobody who read it made any link at all.
I'm not diagnosed but my school reports (80's and 90's) are almost a carbon copy of that right from early primary. Twit rushes and makes silly mistakes, Twit is capable but would achieve more if they applied themselves. It's glaring now I have knowledge I have and it has at least allowed me to spot those phrases in my children's school reports (three dx autism, 2 also ADHD) and explain to teachers why that might be happening and what they can do to support it. I'm also fortunate in that my parents also recognise it now which has been quite cathartic for us all. I was quite difficult to deal with as a child (meltdowns etc) and they had sought help but didn't really have any answers. So now my children have been diagnosed it's all clicked into place.

As an adult I've been fortunate enough to choose studies and a career where I can hyper focus but I found school quite overwhelming yet intensly boring and didn't do very well in terms of GCSE's. It was just too broad.

Even these days I try and explain to people that when I'm trying to learn something some stuff, at times it's like someone has tossed all of the information up in air and it's all floating there but I can't bring it down in front of me and order it in a way that makes sense. I sort of hope this description resonates with someone because I feel quite alone with it sometimes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I went private - there are a few recommendations/ avoid clinics earlier in the thread.

24 months. I was lucky in I had savings but it was have been great to have Really supportive clinic - not one trying to suck out every last penny. It cost a lot.

I’ll be honest I hated elvanse. The dry mouth never fucked off and the difference was barely noticeable… I tried 4 months and chucked it. Concerta has been the one for me
What do you think the differences are between Elvanse and Concerta?

I’ve been on Elvanse for nearly 5 months. It’s ok. It definately does do something but it’s not as strong as i thought it would be.

Side effects are defo dry mouth, I’ve had a couple of headaches. Loss of appetite too, I’ve lost nearly a stone! Not that I’m complaining about that.

Work is going ok now but I’ve also started a remote job so it’s kind of a combination of the meds and the difference in role.

BTW - I’m the OP of this thread but on a new account.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.