Women with ADHD - diagnosis in adulthood

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just chucking out a few symptoms and thoughts and wondering if these resonate?
A feeling of being the doer and the observer. That despite being separate from society I am somehow not alone being duplicate somehow. So weird but watching myself & analysing a billion things all simultaneously.
A mind that is like a labyrinth whizzing and zig zagging.
Today I have a shutdown. No energy and can only cut off from everything. The simplest task is enormous. Plastic containers with droplets from DW leave me exhausted at the sight and thought of drying. I genuinely can't work out if I have a virus or my brain has gone into waiting mode.
Waiting to kick-start. I couldn't even share this with someone in real life even if I wanted to. It's like a glass panel.
Years ago, I saw a cartoon trying to describe autism. There was a large fish bowl with lots of fish swimming around. Within the fish bowl was a smaller fish bowl with just one fish swimming on it's own.
To me it summed up how I feel and just occasionally I get out of the little fishbowl and join the others but not for long. Sorry for massive brain dump. 😖

Reactions: 1
Just chucking out a few symptoms and thoughts and wondering if these resonate?
A feeling of being the doer and the observer. That despite being separate from society I am somehow not alone being duplicate somehow. So weird but watching myself & analysing a billion things all simultaneously.
A mind that is like a labyrinth whizzing and zig zagging.
Today I have a shutdown. No energy and can only cut off from everything. The simplest task is enormous. Plastic containers with droplets from DW leave me exhausted at the sight and thought of drying. I genuinely can't work out if I have a virus or my brain has gone into waiting mode.
Waiting to kick-start. I couldn't even share this with someone in real life even if I wanted to. It's like a glass panel.
Years ago, I saw a cartoon trying to describe autism. There was a large fish bowl with lots of fish swimming around. Within the fish bowl was a smaller fish bowl with just one fish swimming on it's own.
To me it summed up how I feel and just occasionally I get out of the little fishbowl and join the others but not for long. Sorry for massive brain dump. 😖
I can relate to some of this. The shutdown is a real issue, for a condition portrayed as bouncing off the walls it can leave you basically frozen.
I’m starting meds soon and I’m nervous and excited.

Reactions: 2
I am also starting meds this week. Will keep you lot informed.

The psychiatrist who prescribed them said he sees them like reading glasses, use them when needed but sometimes when you’re relaxing it’s not necessary. First week however he said take them twice a day and based on how I feel in my 6 week follow up he may adjust the dosage.

The pharmacy is mobile and will post them to my house, hopefully will arrive tomorrow!

Reactions: 6
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I’m still reading through the thread. I’ve been on the waiting list for an assessment since July 2020, I’ve seen online mentions of them asking for school records, I asked my mum but she said she didn’t keep any. What other evidence do they ask for?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I’m still reading through the thread. I’ve been on the waiting list for an assessment since July 2020, I’ve seen online mentions of them asking for school records, I asked my mum but she said she didn’t keep any. What other evidence do they ask for?
My doctor accepted a questionnaire from someone who knew me as a child (mum)

My brother filled mine in even though he was a child at the time too. My dad was pretty useless and my mum is dead. Funnily enough I’d been through a big box of school stuff a year or so before and I found it so sad to read I threw it away. All variations of ‘bright but lazy, could so much better if she applied herself’ in primary school and ‘lazy, talkative, disruptive, not reaching her potential, relies on her intelligence not hard work’ etc. I know it was the 90s but it was there, and nobody who read it made any link at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I couldn't find any School reports either but was asked about it instead during assessment.

I was asked for informants from someone who knew me before 12 and someone who knew me as an adult.

the meds are here and i am terrified to take them - so many side effects!!

I got told not to take any on holiday because my doctor said I probably won’t need them then, but I’m worried to start taking them and then not taking them for a week

Don’t worry. Just set yourself up for an easy few days to adjust. Eat before hand as mostly they have an impact on appetite. Plan easy days and meals. If you can. Side effects haven’t been too bad - but coffee was pretty tough initially I’m now back enjoying early in the day.

The first few days were weird but now It’s ok. I find the quiet in my head peaceful, given i never let myself off. Also the daily exhaustion is gone.

I don’t take mine on weekends and won’t on holiday at the end of the month. I started in august so have found the right dosage for me - though I did go through 20mg - 50mg over the course of 2 months.

When you say coffee was tough, do you mean you didn’t have the appetite for it?

I’m starting on 20mg (10mg twice a day)

Thanks for the info!

I found it hard as the increased heart rate of the Meds as my body adjusted - given their nature but once I got the right mix I found it was ok to reintroduce. Also I needed so much more water consumption.

I have settled on 40mgs once a day in the am. It’s not something I expect to be on forever but for now it’s a lovely release from the coping and masking Id been doing for years.

Taken my first dose this morning

immediate release due to my shift work

I’m scared 😟

It’s going to be ok.

This is about helping you and not making your life harder.

If you don’t like it - you can stop at any time.

But give it a week or so…. For me it’s the quieting down of my head. It’s been life changing (also the focus helps too)

I didn’t have headaches but I do have on going dry mouth.
Day 1 and I have both, but nice to know it'll only last a few days!

The urge to get a coffee is so bad! I was advised zero coffee during titration :cry:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.