Women with ADHD - diagnosis in adulthood

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been looking into this for the past few months and will admit it did start after seeing Tiktoks in the subject. I've always been diagnosed with depression or anxiety from a teenager, now in my 30s but have never felt it was my full story. I feel like lots of my traits have especially shown since I became a mum 6 years ago but I have read this can be the case for many women. Anyway I was in a phone appointment with my go practises mh nurse about my anxiety meds and I plucked up the courage to ask about exploring other reasons for my symptoms and mention ADHD etc and was told "the likelihood of me having it was slim as it would have been picked up when I was in school or by psychiatrist I saw for depression at 16. Has anyone experienced similar? It's really put me off asking again.

Reactions: 3
@buttonbean1614 I really don't think a nurse making a glib comment should be taken seriously. Don't let her put you off. See a GP at least. I was told years and years ago by a psychiatrist to stop thinking so much and not be silly and live my life. Gee thanks pal. Like you, anxiety & depression lifelong but I knew it wasn't the story and once I was diagnosed Asperger's and fit the complete female profile, I never took anti depressants again as I now knew why I felt like I did.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've been looking into this for the past few months and will admit it did start after seeing Tiktoks in the subject. I've always been diagnosed with depression or anxiety from a teenager, now in my 30s but have never felt it was my full story. I feel like lots of my traits have especially shown since I became a mum 6 years ago but I have read this can be the case for many women. Anyway I was in a phone appointment with my go practises mh nurse about my anxiety meds and I plucked up the courage to ask about exploring other reasons for my symptoms and mention ADHD etc and was told "the likelihood of me having it was slim as it would have been picked up when I was in school or by psychiatrist I saw for depression at 16. Has anyone experienced similar? It's really put me off asking again.
I didn't have that reaction but I've been treated for anxiety and depression and have spent most of the last 15 years being medicated for it, even on very heavy duty medications and combinations. U never felt like it answered my questions if that makes sense?
So over the last few years (and two kids with similar needs) I've come to the realisation that it didn't help because I was I was being medicated for the wrong condition. On Ritalin now and I feel so so content, like finally something has worked (still do talk therapy) but finding ADHD helping strategies have worked best

Does anyone take breaks from their meds? Yesterday I took a break because my boyfriend and I were going rockclimbing and have lunch and then just chill, didn’t have to work or do any uni assignments. By the end of the day I got v emotionally overwhelmed and started crying and today woken up with a bad headache. I’m looking up online what other things say and it’s very divided. Some say theyre good and others say not to do breaks. What do you guys think? Does anyone try to take a day or more? Or is it just silly to?

Does anyone take breaks from their meds? Yesterday I took a break because my boyfriend and I were going rockclimbing and have lunch and then just chill, didn’t have to work or do any uni assignments. By the end of the day I got v emotionally overwhelmed and started crying and today woken up with a bad headache. I’m looking up online what other things say and it’s very divided. Some say theyre good and others say not to do breaks. What do you guys think? Does anyone try to take a day or more? Or is it just silly to?
What do you take? I take breaks from Elvanse over weekends sometimes and I’m just just normal uselessness/social anxiety occurs!

Reactions: 2
About once or twice a month I don't take my Ritalin for a day.
The last day I did it I burnt the dinner because i forgot about it 🙈

I do, my psych said I can skip taking it at a weekend if I don’t have plans etc but I don’t skip it often.

Does anyone else struggle with body focused repetitive behaviour? I’m looking into fidget toys as I am in a really bad patch of skin picking 😩

Hi, just been diagnosed with ADHD and Autism at the grand old age of 45, almost 46! I’ve always known I’m different but had never considered either before this past month. I feel relieved and utterly overwhelmed at the same time. I went the private route as just needed to know once there was any suspicion. What caused me to seek a diagnosis was MTV Teen mum uk! One of the dads found out he had ADHD and something clicked, I went and read about it and just felt like I was reading my life story. No one has ever suggested either before just explained as general anxiety, depression and PTSD (from miscarriages) that I was lazy, disorganised, dopey, over emotional and awkward the list is endless. oh and was once told I might have a personality disorder. Now need to have the medical tests to see if I’m ok to try medication. Feeling hopeful but wary. I hate change and think I’m going to find everything difficult at first but who knows could be the best thing that has ever happened to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Hi, just been diagnosed with ADHD and Autism at the grand old age of 45, almost 46! I’ve always known I’m different but had never considered either before this past month. I feel relieved and utterly overwhelmed at the same time. I went the private route as just needed to know once there was any suspicion. What caused me to seek a diagnosis was MTV Teen mum uk! One of the dads found out he had ADHD and something clicked, I went and read about it and just felt like I was reading my life story. No one has ever suggested either before just explained as general anxiety, depression and PTSD (from miscarriages) that I was lazy, disorganised, dopey, over emotional and awkward the list is endless. oh and was once told I might have a personality disorder. Now need to have the medical tests to see if I’m ok to try medication. Feeling hopeful but wary. I hate change and think I’m going to find everything difficult at first but who knows could be the best thing that has ever happened to me.
I found out I had autism about a year ago and it was such a Eureka moment. I went through a lot of cycles of emotion if I'm honest. I would go from anger to relief to happiness and around again. Not sure I'll ever get over the anger tbh. That said, it is liberating

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I wanted to quickly just advise anyone looking for private diagnosis - after reviewing a number of services in London - I looked into Psymplicity - when I spoke to them they were incredible engaged and supportive, I ended up going with another private clinic as I could get diagnosed earlier.

I used to adhd centre - I warn anyone with adhd this clinic is about money, there is no after care or on going support. Barely any understanding of the basic functions of adhd as they keep piling down on cash, delays and disengagement . It has been an exhausting expensive experience. From trying to engage for bookings, failing to set up follow up properly. The doctor was clinical and cold.

I had a friend use another doctor - who is engaged, listens to hear concerns, is available for calls (some free) and addresses her concerns. Is trying to keep the costs down.

I hope this saves someone the time, money and stress that I have encountered using the adhd centre

• Heart
I agree, the ADHD centre were so unhelpful. So dismissive of my questions.

They kept sending a template email saying “the assessments take a long time” but never answering how long that was (which was a factor I was considering when decided who to go with). They also just repeatedly sent price lists but never answered my questions about how many appointments were required, would I need to get an ECG prior to getting medication, would that be private or from my GP etc etc etc.

I finally snapped and said that they were being so unhelpful I was going elsewhere.

Sorry to derail from private diagnosis.
But quick questions-
does anyone find it hard to create or stick to a routine? Like a morning and night one. I desperately want one as I’m constantly tired, going to bed late and rushing around in the morning. but I either get bored of them so quickly OR I feel like they’re so whelming, I never start! 😅

• Heart
I feel like I just can't get organised at all. I've loads of things to do around the house and stuff, but I can't organise myself to get it done

• Heart
But quick questions-
does anyone find it hard to create or stick to a routine? Like a morning and night one. I desperately want one as I’m constantly tired, going to bed late and rushing around in the morning. but I either get bored of them so quickly OR I feel like they’re so whelming, I never start! 😅

But quick questions-
yes 100% yes, I find starting them and sticking to them so difficult. My sleeping routine is so bad and I’m constantly exhausted I just about make it in time for work every morning 😵💫😩

yes 100% yes, I find starting them and sticking to them so difficult. My sleeping routine is so bad and I’m constantly exhausted I just about make it in time for work every morning 😵💫😩
Oh that makes me feel soooo much that I’m not alone! It seems to come so much easier to other people! But then it sucks as well x

Reactions: 1
I am forever resolving to do this that or the other to get in a routine like "normal" people. Generally it will end up with me forgetting, falling asleep or losing whichever gizmo, note book, face cream which would bring about this amazing transformation!
I am a clutteroholic, a dreamer of getting organized but failing, constantly wandering around thinking about starting a task, getting distracted, tired or bored and misplacing things I had a minute ago! It's so aggravating.
Yet if I have an appointment I will fret about not getting there in time, then get there way too early. I have a real fear of letting people down or wasting their time.
You are definitely not alone. 🥴

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.