Womanhood and injustices against women

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is an interesting thread.
People are angry that she’s been referred to as a sex worker because if she had a more acceptable job it wouldn’t factor into the headline.
Whilst I do agree, I think that fact she was a sex worker is a big part of the story. Her job made her vulnerable and I believe that is how her murderer got to her. What do you all think?
If we lived in an ideal world, then that's where people's minds would go in the same way the words "pensioner" or "teacher" might evoke immediate sympathy. But unfortunately, it's not and I think reducing her to "sex worker" knowing how people view them comes across as objectifying.

• Angry
Reactions: 11
Her being a sex worker is another reason why the police didn't do much of anything and let's not even pretend they've learnt from it. If the Met can employ Wayne Wanker, despite multiple warnings, people soliciting wouldn't be high on the agenda either.

• Angry
Reactions: 18
There's an upcoming TV drama with an interesting premise....a world where a 'Women's Safety Act' comes in and all men need to stay in at night under a curfew:
I remember when Sarah Everard was murdered and someone suggested a curfew for men and all the men on Twitter, even the ‘feminist’ ones, went bat tit crazy.
---
I’ve put this here because I feel like Mums are the ones who mainly have accounts about being a parent and show photos of their children freely. It’s so scary that someone can act like this and then get offended when called out on it.

I see so many of my friends who have had babies post photos of their children on social media and I get it, they are proud and have family and friends who don’t live near by and want to share their joy. But either their account isn’t locked down or the account has both people they know and random followers.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I remember when Sarah Everard was murdered and someone suggested a curfew for men and all the men on Twitter, even the ‘feminist’ ones, went bat tit crazy.
---
I’ve put this here because I feel like Mums are the ones who mainly have accounts about being a parent and show photos of their children freely. It’s so scary that someone can act like this and then get offended when called out on it.

I see so many of my friends who have had babies post photos of their children on social media and I get it, they are proud and have family and friends who don’t live near by and want to share their joy. But either their account isn’t locked down or the account has both people they know and random followers.
Completely agree with the guy in the video. I’ve never had Facebook or Insta, but if I did, I wouldn’t put any pictures of my kids on there. For one thing, babies and young children can’t consent. I hate it when celebs monetise their offspring. When my children were in primary school, a friend of a family member videoed them when we were all doing an activity and posted it on YouTube. They got short shrift for that and had to take it down. You just don’t know which weirdos will be looking.

Reactions: 16
It's been quite a week for woman's issues in Scotland. Started with a football manager ending an interview by saying Good Girl - it was as if he'd suggested she go home and cook her mans tea, all hell broke loss. I got into a debate with the Scottish Feminist Network regarding this. I think they wanted him shot at dawn as 'language matters'. I felt it was a storm in a tea cup and there are bigger issues to tackle - they disagreed.

Then Emma Caldwell's murderer is finally brought to justice. She was named continually as a sex worker - Scottish Feminist Network said heehaw!!! But hey, language matters!!!

Emma's murder really affected me as she lived in the hostel near where I work. I'm glad the scumbag has finally been held to account for her murder. But you wonder how many women's lives he's trashed in the time he's been wandering the streets.

And just as an aside, I watched Jury - Murder Trial. Women are judged in life and death.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
I binged Jury - Murder Trial on Friday, almost couldn't get beyond the first episode. Found it really upsetting. Not sure why I put myself through it to be honest, but I think it was a valuable insight into the jury system. It really showed how flawed the system is. There's definitely a case for professional juries. Having sat on a jury, a majority of those there had no clue and had made up their minds before hearing all the evidence and just wanted to get it over and done with.

But yes, the victim was judged and you got the impression that many of them felt she deserved it. Lots of "well what did she say to provoke him?" No concept of the fact the if a man puts his hands round a woman's neck, it's very unlikely to be the first act of violence he's committed against her or how long it takes for someone to pass out during strangulation - it's not a "just snapped" act of someone lashing out.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
So people may disagree with the protest and that the woman in question was at a Posie Parker event but I do find it rather shocking that a man Twitter are naming as Hudnan Jacks didn’t face a conviction and got lifelong anonymity in New Zealand for punching the elderly woman three times in the face and breaking her eye socket. The man crossed over the barricade which someone before him had broken down and when the woman was trying to stop another protestor from breaking down another barrier of some sort he walked up to her and attacked her. He said in court he was scared because of his autism and adhd which the court took as mitigating circumstances as well as him doing 180 community service with the Red Cross, therapy and paying $1000 for emotional reparations (which the victim said was ‘disgusting’ and didn’t even cover her airfare). The judge ‘considered that a conviction would be disproportionate to the offence which he did note was moderately serious given that the elderly woman was punched three times in the face by a young male. The police did not oppose permanent name suppression and he therefore granted it’.
Here is a video of the attack behind a spoiler as it is quite violent.

This is the victim, Judith Hobson’s reaction to it all:

Her victim impact statement was edited by officials before she was allowed to read it in court. The parts that have been strikedthrough are the parts she was banned from reading.

IMG_6498.jpeg
IMG_6499.jpeg

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
So people may disagree with the protest and that the woman in question was at a Posie Parker event but I do find it rather shocking that a man Twitter are naming as Hudnan Jacks didn’t face a conviction and got lifelong anonymity in New Zealand for punching the elderly woman three times in the face and breaking her eye socket. The man crossed over the barricade which someone before him had broken down and when the woman was trying to stop another protestor from breaking down another barrier of some sort he walked up to her and attacked her. He said in court he was scared because of his autism and adhd which the court took as mitigating circumstances as well as him doing 180 community service with the Red Cross, therapy and paying $1000 for emotional reparations (which the victim said was ‘disgusting’ and didn’t even cover her airfare). The judge ‘considered that a conviction would be disproportionate to the offence which he did note was moderately serious given that the elderly woman was punched three times in the face by a young male. The police did not oppose permanent name suppression and he therefore granted it’.
Here is a video of the attack behind a spoiler as it is quite violent.

This is the victim, Judith Hobson’s reaction to it all:

Her victim impact statement was edited by officials before she was allowed to read it in court. The parts that have been strikedthrough are the parts she was banned from reading.

View attachment 2796429View attachment 2796430
This is state sanctioning of male on female violence if you don’t agree with the point of view of the female concerned. New Zealand already has a huge domestic violence problem with nearly 50% of Māori women experiencing partner abuse over their lifetime. For this guy to basically walk away sends the message that there’s no point in reporting. He punched her 3 times, he broke her eye socket, he got away with it.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Systematic racism, sexism and violence probably won't be changed in my lifetime but we should definitely do if for all the girls and women to come.

I watched this earlier and actually sobbed. The visceral reaction to the police response to the vigil will never anger inducing.

Sarah Everard: The Search for Justice: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001x0x8 via @bbciplayer

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Horrendous, horrendous, utterly disgusting. What a vile looking man. ‘Crime of passion’ my arse.
The all-female jury decided against the maximum sentence of 20 years’ - what on earth, why?!
After he killed her, he got bonded out of jail…for murder 🤦‍♀️
On Facebook her sister says the jury only took an hour to decide.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I think a lot of men do think of women as less for some reason- it makes me scared all the ‘nice’ men in our lives do as well? Horrible comment on a YouTube video- have crossed out what the parent comment was talking about as it’s not relevant

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow
I agree. It is horrific. The comments on the internet haunt me sometimes. Is this what most men think?
I try to rationalise it and think that people posting are not a control group. I think that is the wrong word but I mean you are more likely to get extreme views from people who post on these types of threads becuse the less extreme would not be reading the thread or even on forums so much I guess.

Sometimes I ask my adult son and he just looks at me in disbelief and says ‘who would think one thing like that?‘

Then I read about all the met police with active sexual assault claims against them who are still working and I despair.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
I agree. It is horrific. The comments on the internet haunt me sometimes. Is this what most men think?
I try to rationalise it and think that people posting are not a control group. I think that is the wrong word but I mean you are more likely to get extreme views from people who post on these types of threads becuse the less extreme would not be reading the thread or even on forums so much I guess.

Sometimes I ask my adult son and he just looks at me in disbelief and says ‘who would think one thing like that?‘

Then I read about all the met police with active sexual assault claims against them who are still working and I despair.
I just despair about the Met police, and the police in general in the UK. They appear to hate women...

• Angry
Am I the only one who sees the irony in Barbie not even being nominated for an Oscar for best actress and picture and everyone this morning going on about how wonderful Ryan Gosling was singing I am Ken.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Am I the only one who sees the irony in Barbie not even being nominated for an Oscar for best actress and picture and everyone this morning going on about how wonderful Ryan Gosling was singing I am Ken.
I‘m so with you on this!

Reactions: 8