William and Kate #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.

I was so confused by it, thinking that it might just be a precautionary measure as it was said that it was "preventative".

I also know someone who had one tumours removed and did not need any further treatment.

It is also puzzling to me as Kate seemed so fit and healthy and it was always said that she looked after her health so much and she is still so young.

You have been through so much, I am happy for you that you came through it.
Cancer doesn’t discriminate- you can be in the best possible health, eat right, exercise, not touch booze, smoke, take drugs and still get it. It’s a bastard.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I find it hard to believe anything the royals say at the best of times but the golden lining here is that Kate said cancer ‘had’ been found which suggests they removed a tumour-subsequently cancer of some description was found but that doesn’t mean she has it now. Given she’ll be getting the best treatment available, preventative chemo could just be that they’re going above and beyond to be sure there’s no chance of any remaining? Could even be pre cancerous cells which my friend had-obviously any mention of cancer is scary but given goldsmith said she’ll be fine & Pippa was off on holiday etc I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t the huge deal the media wants to spin it as. She certainly didn’t say ‘I have cancer’.

Reactions: 16
Cancer doesn’t discriminate- you can be in the best possible health, eat right, exercise, not touch booze, smoke, take drugs and still get it. It’s a bastard.
Also to Take into account is family history (not just immediate), age and the fact that some cancers are more hormone related than others.

Reactions: 4
Believe me, it is a huge and terrifying deal.
Cancer spreads, and not every trace is always found at the time of surgery.
It can also recur, hence the belt and braces approach to mop up any possible undetected cells.
My Mum had mastectomy which completely removed the cancer, but was advised to have the chemo for those very reasons.
She didn’t think “oh it’s not a huge deal, I don’t actually have cancer now” In fact she was absolutely terrified and it was awful to see how scared she was.
She wasn’t actually given the all clear for another 5 years, despite the tumour being removed at the time of surgery,
This will be an enormous deal for Kate, William and their family.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
Do you also feel that the video sent mixed messages? On the one hand it was positive and she talked about getting stronger and being well, the "preventative" treatment and making a full recovery, and on the other hand she spoke about the huge shock and the impact on her family.

I guess this is life. Things are not black and white and the nuances were reflected in the video.

Reactions: 11
The things that you say in public to friends and family, and the things you say to yourself at 3 o’clock in the morning are completely different,

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Do you also feel that the video sent mixed messages? On the one hand it was positive and she talked about getting stronger and being well, the "preventative" treatment and making a full recovery, and on the other hand she spoke about the huge shock and the impact on her family.

I guess this is life. Things are not black and white and the nuances were reflected in the video.
Yes I feel it was mixed. I wasn’t going to share my story as everyone has a cancer story in their family. It’s so prevalent.

My husband (44) had a sore throat. Long story short it was tonsil cancer. He had his tonsils removed and we were told he would need a course of preventative radiotherapy. The cancer treatment was horrific. Due to where it was, he couldn’t eat, swallow or make saliva. We’re 4 years down and still he can’t eat spicy food or eat anything citrusy as they hurt him so much. He lost 3 stone and only through sheer bloody mindlessness didn’t need a peg tube to feed him. He also didn’t get sick pay so took himself to work every day whilst having 30 consecutive radio therapy treatments. Some people aren’t lucky enough to get the best of treatment whilst being able to fully focus on getting well.

Back to Catherine - her cancer may be showing signs of all removed but the fallout from the chemo will be tough. If she suffers hair loss, she may wish to wait a long time. To be seen publicly.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.

I was so confused by it, thinking that it might just be a precautionary measure as it was said that it was "preventative".

I also know someone who had one tumours removed and did not need any further treatment.

It is also puzzling to me as Kate seemed so fit and healthy and it was always said that she looked after her health so much and she is still so young.

You have been through so much, I am happy for you that you came through it.
Don’t forget she was a smoker. Well I say was. I’m not sure for definite if she ever gave up completely?

Reactions: 4
Chemotherapy is not used as a matter of course. Many people have cancer removed without the need for chemotherapy. It is usually a gruelling treatment - and has its own risks to your general health.
I agree. I don’t think they would be doing chemo unless there was a good reason. Although saying that, my daughter’s dad had cancer which was removed and he was advised to have chemo but he turned it down and (touch wood) his surgery seemed to have got it all ouf.

Reactions: 7
Yes I feel it was mixed. I wasn’t going to share my story as everyone has a cancer story in their family. It’s so prevalent.

My husband (44) had a sore throat. Long story short it was tonsil cancer. He had his tonsils removed and we were told he would need a course of preventative radiotherapy. The cancer treatment was horrific. Due to where it was, he couldn’t eat, swallow or make saliva. We’re 4 years down and still he can’t eat spicy food or eat anything citrusy as they hurt him so much. He lost 3 stone and only through sheer bloody mindlessness didn’t need a peg tube to feed him. He also didn’t get sick pay so took himself to work every day whilst having 30 consecutive radio therapy treatments. Some people aren’t lucky enough to get the best of treatment whilst being able to fully focus on getting well.

Back to Catherine - her cancer may be showing signs of all removed but the fallout from the chemo will be tough. If she suffers hair loss, she may wish to wait a long time. To be seen publicly.
Oh no, this sounds harrowing. I am glad your husband got through it.

It is certainly easier if money is no issue.

Reactions: 3
We all have a cancer story, whether ourselves or someone close to us and cancer is such a vast subject that it’s impossible to compare Kates treatment to anyone else’s. Whilst I will always view with scepticism anything put out by the RF as they are notoriously less than truthful I choose to just acknowledge what she’s said as being enough, no need for any more details. William needs to support but also to crack on with work to relieve that stress from his dad and wife. Tough times, but one we all go through and will understand.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Oh no, this sounds harrowing. I am glad your husband got through it.

It is certainly easier if money is no issue.
Thank you. He’s a strong man. I’m lucky to have him. The sad thing now is he’s changed roles and gets sick pay!

A week after he was diagnosed, one of our best friends was diagnosed with breast cancer. They absolutely got each other through. Enough sob stories now though. Both and here and we celebrate as much as we can.

Like I said everyone has a cancer story. It really is the worst c word

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I find it hard to believe anything the royals say at the best of times but the golden lining here is that Kate said cancer ‘had’ been found which suggests they removed a tumour-subsequently cancer of some description was found but that doesn’t mean she has it now. Given she’ll be getting the best treatment available, preventative chemo could just be that they’re going above and beyond to be sure there’s no chance of any remaining? Could even be pre cancerous cells which my friend had-obviously any mention of cancer is scary but given goldsmith said she’ll be fine & Pippa was off on holiday etc I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t the huge deal the media wants to spin it as. She certainly didn’t say ‘I have cancer’.
She has cancer.
Surgery is usually not the sole option as possible chemo and/or radiotherapy and/or immunotherapy and/or hormone treatment is the norm to treat any residual/main cancer and/or to prevent recurrence. Recurrence prevention is incorporated into treatment.
This is standard treatment, in one form or another, for all patients, for most cancer types.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Anyone else find it very strange that theyre using the Mother's Day pic on all the news reports?

Reactions: 5
This sounds so shallow, but when she said she was getting chemotherapy my first thought was that she would lose her beautiful hair....

I pray that they were able to remove all of the present cancer and that the chemotherapy can help any rogue cells. Others have said it but it is amazing that both the King's cancer and hers were discovered basically in the same week!

Reactions: 6
This sounds so shallow, but when she said she was getting chemotherapy my first thought was that she would lose her beautiful hair....

I pray that they were able to remove all of the present cancer and that the chemotherapy can help any rogue cells. Others have said it but it is amazing that both the King's cancer and hers were discovered basically in the same week!
It is completely understandable, but not all chemo leads to hair loss.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Not shallow at all, any woman would feel vulnerable, let alone someone as famous like Kate who's hair is her crowning glory.

My guess is the public will see nothing of her for at least 12 months. Which is right and proper.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.