Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Bloody well done!

Banksy has shown his support for the Black Lives Matter movement, saying “people of colour are being failed by the system”.

The graffiti artist wrote in an Instagram post: “At first I thought I should just shut up and listen to black people about this issue. But why would I do that? It’s not their problem, it’s mine.

“People of colour are being failed by the system. The white system. Like a broken pipe flooding the apartment of the people living downstairs. The faulty system is making their life a misery, but it’s not their job to fix it. They can’t, no one will let them in the apartment upstairs.

“This is a white problem. And if white people don’t fix it, someone will have to come upstairs and kick the door in.”

I hope that you don't mind, but I've share this post too.
It was so nice to see everyone being respectful of distancing whilst still making a stand. I could have cried when everyone took the knee.

It isn’t my imagine - I have no idea who took it, someone just posted it on Facebook so feel free to share😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Lauradoraxx

Thanks for being so patient with me trying to formulate a response. Work got on top of me.

So to answer "What can white allies do on social media and off"?

1. Start conversations with your fellow white people (especially the ones who are not allies yet)
- Don't wait for black people to start the conversation constantly, this is a relay race so we are passing the baton as honestly, we are tired.
- These conversations can be about on current affairs happening within black communities such as George Floyd and grow from there.
- Raise unconscious bias questions such as have you ever questioned being in a room just filled with white people, your interactions with police, your position on dating outside your race, assumptions you have made about other races in the past?
- It is perfectly OK if you have changed your initial stance on these bias, but by starting the conversation with other white people you can make them aware of things they may never have thought to question. (For example, my friend put forward the question for her white followers to note how many other races were in the room at team meetings, something they had never questioned, yet after than initial conversation it made them rethink) - in the current climate, you could alter this as how many other races do you follow on your socials? Some people will be shocked.

2. Embrace the Uncomfortable
- You all saw the interaction here on Tattle when I made a clear point and instead of the responder understanding, a poorly formed Snickers joke was made -- and that is because of white fragility which makes white people uncomfortable so instead of trying to understand - jokes are cracked, the subject is changed, defensive go up, disagreeing without understanding and the final nail "All Lives Matter" is uttered.
- As I said you have to feel uncomfortable because that is a small margin in comparison to what black people deal with.
- Question "why do I feel this way"? - investigate those emotions that make you uncomfortable instead of shutting them down.

2. Unlearn the rhetoric: "I don't see Color"
- Wild right?
- Some white allies I know use to think some of the things they said were socially acceptable, but really they were overtly racist statements e.g. "I don't see color" -- unlearn that.
- Don't be scared to say black because if you have two Debbies are one is black, just say it because you can definitely see her colour and that is a part of her.
- So yes you see color - because if you don't you are not seeing your black friends, family, coworkers and you don't see the unequal infrastructure and injustice.
- Jane Elliot (one of my fav white allies) spoke about this here (I would implore you to watch the whole video, but 9.44 is where she begins the conversation), also check out her experiment called "How Racist Are You" on brown and blue eyes she did in the UK on Channel 4 a few years ago here.

3. Use resources, not just black people
- After unlearning you have to relearn and although it's great to have these conversations, black people are exhausted so we can't always be the go-to. So books, films and Google are great resources.
- As I once said to my friend "you cannot say you are well-read, when every book you read is by a white author"
- Join a book club and bring that book as your choice to discuss further
- By reading and watching various sources, you become less of an echo chamber with similar people, you get an insight into issues you may not have known about or known how to approach
- Learn slowly and intentional, not just for the sake of learning

Some of my recommended are:

Books:
  • The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander
  • Why I am No Longer Talking to White People About Race - Reni Eddo-Lodge
  • The Good Immigrant - Nikesh Shukla
  • Brit(ish) - Afua Hirsch
  • So You Want To Talk About Race - Ijeoma Oluo
  • Natives - Akala
  • Tears We Cannot Stop - Michael Eric Dyson
  • They Can't Kill Us All - Wesley Lowery
  • White Fragility - Robin DiAngelo
  • Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? - Beverly Daniel Tatum
  • White Rage - Carol Anderson
Films
  • When They See Us
  • If Beale Street Could Talk
  • The Hate U Give
  • Dear White People
  • Selma
  • The Color Purple
  • Hidden Figures
- Sidenote: I do not recommend things I have not read or watched myself, so this is a personal list

3. Curate diverse social medias
- This will help keep you informed and out of the echo chamber.
- With diverse, share and comment on these activists posts. Ask questions so you are constantly learning (plus it allows others who may come across the post and have the same question, have a better understanding)
This way you can also help boost the voices of black people and be aware of what is going on when you receive backlash (because trust me you will, not everyone wants a fairer society and you realise that via social media). This will give you a platform to denounce things if you don't racism wins.
- Use your feed to not only like and learn, but speak out, as MLK Jr said "to ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it"

3. Accept your white privilege
- I know many who hate the term, roll their eyes and scoff but its a necessity to accept and acknowledge.
- It also takes a lot of introspectiveness from white people and again can be uncomfortable unpacking these conversations.
- Remember white privilege is not saying you haven't had a hard life or invaliding that, it just notes your skin colour did not add to it
- Use your privilege for good in many of the ways listed in this post - if you have children teach them about this, the younger the better
- If you constantly fight against this, I am sorry but you can never truly be an ally with your eyes shut whilst benefiting from a system that consistently fails black people.

4. Financially help
- There are great organisations out there such as ROTA, Race Equality Foundation, NAACP, Color of Change.
- If that's not possible sign petitions, AND keep the conversation alive. Share it between friends and talk about why you are sharing it.
- As noted, I said not to use black people you know as your go-to Google, but if you have events, workshops, programmes on race and know someone who could contribute and earn from this - ask them. You get to play a part in financially helping and also spreading knowledge.

4. Call them Out!
- That's right - call out your problematic friends, family members etc, "Silence in the face of injustice is complicity with the oppressor"
- Call out your councillors, MPs, Mayors via email, letter - step on their necks and make them feel the pressure!
- To be a good ally, we need to see you doing the work!
- It is no longer enough to say "I'm not racist", you have to show your anti-racism through your actions.

Lastly, this is life long work, and now you can understand why black people are tired. So as a white ally, you need to daily acknowledge your own racial bias and commit to dismantling it within.

This movement cannot be led solely by black people. If we want real change, we need real allyship.

Thanks for reading this, the last couple days have been extremely tough - this really pushed my buttons as my brother was killed due to police brutality (why I left NYC and came back to the UK), but the white allies I had made after has truly shown me change can happen if people are willing to acknowledge and work for it.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I am so so sorry about your brother, no one should ever have to go through that.
Ive shared your post with a few different group chats for others to read.

I read Why I’m No Longer Talking To White People About Race last year and it is amazing. Opened my eyes to so much I was ignorant to before. Going to get some more of those books you recommended and keep educating myself.

Every white person can always do more to help no matter how educated or clued up they are. This has stemmed from centuries of discrimination and we must work to become allies and active supporters in the years and years to come.

Thanks again xx

MotherofDragons

For those in the UK, the following article is really helpful if you want to do something proactive. There is even a link to an email template you can copy and paste to send send to your MP . I have just done this, it took less the 5 minutes. Looking at my MPs voting record I don't know what difference this will make, but we don't know if we don't try!

Felix08

Chatty Member
I want to thank GossWhore for the post, its eyeopening.

I am white, very, I have white blonde hair and blue eyes. I am European. Today I realised that my whole life people have told me, indirectly maybe, that they way I look is worth more.
Since I was little people would tell me to be careful of men because they will hurt be based on my looks. I now realize they didnt mean any men, they meant black men. I know this now because they made me 'scared' of them because they might hurt pretty blonde blue eyed girls. I feel ashamed that this was thaught to me and that I probably believed it.

People like to use the phrase ; Well we are all racists.. That doesnt make it okay!

Sometimes people say Oh well my friend is Moraccon or black but its doesnt matter because they behave white so they arent really black, what an awful thing to say! And im sorry about that.

I realize I have it easy, I never have to be afraid that the colour of my skin is going to work against me. I feel guilt that I didnt understand what white privilege is or that I even took advantage of being white. Hopefully I can now educate myself and use every card Ive been dealt to help all people.

Sorry if the post is a mess but recent events have made me think a lot and the thoughts all jumble around.

Thank you so much for this thread. I am ordering some of the books and also some black dolls for my children as I’ve just realised theirs are all white

• Heart

Pinchme

VIP Member
A riot is the language of the unheard - MLK Jr.

People have tried to talk. They have been ignored.

It’s time to make a statement. Protests are necessary.
Are we not able to have peaceful protests? How what is happening now is going to make any difference, if anything when I see it, it just makes me more angry and it's all so pointless.

How can more deaths be OK?

• Angry
Hi.

I love the fact you didn't just brush it aside. The conversations will be uncomfortable, but past that you will get to why that is and understanding.

Yes he definitely needs to diversify his Twitter to understand if that's where he spends most time. Facebook is the worst. Ceespool of racists who don't want to change and you can't convince them.

Accounts to follow:
@ColorOfChange
@Rachel.
@NAACP
@ShowUp4RJ
@fams2gether

@UNITEDWEDREAM
@civilrightsorg
@eji_org
@SisterSong_WOC
@Blklivesmatter
@nowhitesaviors
@RachelCargle

View attachment 149256
https://mobile.twitter.com/AliceSiberry/status/1269614693779464194
This thread was enlightening to my friends

Where you can start: https://tattle.life/threads/19920/ - maybe choose 1 book or film to watch and start from there

Defunding the police articles

Just an interesting article about police being entrenched in their ways and systematic racism (Stephen Lawrence comes to mind)

Thank you so much for these account recommendations and resources!
It was a bit frosty this morning but is much better this evening - we’ve set up a WhatsApp group where we are both going to share anything we come across for the other to read (I’m sure it’ll be heavier on my side at first but I’m hoping once he’s done some work he will share things with me too)

Really appreciate the help

• Heart
Again, thanks for this thread. I’m someone who previously thought it’s ok simply to be a non-racist. I’ve learned it’s not enough and have a way to go.

• Heart

KateESJ

VIP Member
I completely agree white privilege exists, but sometimes I think in certain situations it's CLASS privilege and not white privilege at play. I feel like class privilege sometimes disappears into the shadow of white privilege.
That is true. There are many different types of privilege (most people think 5) and which privilege you benefit from depends on you and your situation. Like I'm white privileged but I've still experience hardship in some situations due to being a woman and lower class than other people. But my race benefits me in many other situations and I've not experienced a lot of struggles that POC do, because of my white privilege.

MotherofDragons

Wow. That is the exact kind of racism people are trying to end.
These people need calling out.
Exactly. I’ve been making a conscious effort to call people out where I see such behaviour (usually lurking in the comments section on Facebook). It’s draining to keep up with, but nowhere near as draining as it must be to deal with racism and oppression every damn day as a POC, so I’m going to continue in the hope that people will take a second thought and educate themselves.

leoladyxo

VIP Member
My Facebook feed is making me irate this evening. I myself am white.

Someone has posted on my feed that they are offended by Black Lives Matter. They feel that it means other lives do not matter as much as Black lives.

I can’t understand how people can miss the point in this way. The statement Black Lives Matters doesn't mean they matter more than anyone else's lives. It means they should matter as much as all lives, but black people are disproportionately effected by racism, police brutality, murder and so on forth.

• Heart

prinnygrace

VIP Member
A really powerful video that I’ve re-posted on my Instagram. This is a reality for families of POC. White privilege is never having to worry about having these conversations with our children. NOBODY should have to have these conversations.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
To anyone who has read the previous posts and is now doubting whether to protest or stand up for this movements... we are NOT supporting looting, and violence. These protests have been peaceful until police have turned them otherwise.

The protests are needed! Our voices are needed!

Please don’t let anyone insinuating that by supporting the protests you are supporting violence put you off standing up for this. Black lives matter and I will continue to scream it until it is heard.

• Heart

GossWhore

VIP Member
I’m shocked at how many influencers are ignoring everything as it’s not on brand for them. They’re all a waste of space, they actually only care about their own pathetic lives which are a lie!
Melissa wardrobe said it well and I knew who she was talking about as she no longer follows them
Screenshot_20200531-205607_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200531-205631_Instagram.jpg

The thing is they will be up Conna the CEO of House of CB ass trying to get freebies. Melissa and Conna are besties irl.. Cinzia and Sophia no more freebies for your fake ass selves

MotherofDragons

I watched 13th on Netflix this evening and would highly recommend this as a starting place for anyone who wants to educate themselves on the issues at hand. It’s a real eye opener and had me in tears by the end.

Meh

Chatty Member
That is true. There are many different types of privilege (most people think 5) and which privilege you benefit from depends on you and your situation. Like I'm white privileged but I've still experience hardship in some situations due to being a woman and lower class than other people. But my race benefits me in many other situations and I've not experienced a lot of struggles that POC do, because of my white privilege.
Agreed completely.

I am white, female and from a very deprived area.

When I was younger I/my family definitely suffered negatively from classism/class privilege in Uk.

HOWEVER that situation was NOT complicated further because of the colour of my skin.

That’s white privilege.

POC in UK often struggle against the double whammy of classism AND racism in this country.

There may be laws against excluding black/POC from accessing housing, jobs, education etc. But anyone who thinks this discrimination doesn’t happen is being will fully ignorant.

• Heart

KateESJ

VIP Member
No one in the UK is legally knocked back from nightclubs because of their race. Although I’d like to see you trying to get into a black nightclub.
"discrimination [is] rising, including stories of black women being rejected for being ‘too dark’ or charged more than white customers"

"London Nightclub accused of charging black women twice as much to enter"

"University student Kosi Orah and his friends were denied entry into the Club on Sunday 17th May after a bouncer told him the venue was operated a ‘race quota’ "

"A London nightclub, popular with celebrities, has been accused of turning people away simply because they're black."

Coffeetrampbiatch

First I just want to ask that people read my whole post before maybe jumping me. I have an “issue” with calling it (it -for lack of a better term) “white” privilege.

That is grouping everyone who is “white” together. I’m Eastern European and a Jew and I’m considered “white”.

When we emigrated, as refugees, to America we lived in Detroit. We were poor as shit, on welfare and considered dirt. Our community was Eastern European, Africans, Indians and Turks mostly. We were hated by police and the population alike. We were “dirty immigrants stealing American jobs and their money. “.
And it still happens today esp with Eastern European, Balkan, immigrants and it’s fucked up. That’s the problem though, anyone from a different culture is just that - different.
Having lighter/white skin doesn’t make one immune from people’s prejudices.
To this day (due to 911) anytime I fly I get pulled for extra screening. I’ve asked each time why and they tell me because of my last name. And then they laugh and say I couldn’t be more “white” (dark blond w blue eyes) and they find it somehow amusing. How fucking ignorant is that? It’s just engrained in the culture here.

Being a Jew in Eastern Europe we had our family massacred by the Germans, and our own goddamn countrymen pushed them into the trains gladly. People have fear, genuine fear and even today most of us (Eastern Europeans) don’t let people know we’re Jewish. To this day 99% of people I know don’t know I’m Jewish. I’m just a white woman to them.

I had black woman at work whom I’d tried to discuss racism with, actually tell me right off that “I’m white so have no right to talk” and that is ignorant as hell. She did apologize after, which was great bc we actually spoke and listened to one another.
My point is, that in America (and per this thread and white privilege terms) people assume I have white privilege. I sure as shit have not.
I think if we speak of generational WASPs here in America then yes it’s a fitting term but it’s not right to paint all people (w white or lighter skin) w the same brush.
We all have to watch how we “see others” bc making it a white vs black issue with no grey area is wrong.
Racism, discrimination is such a fucking problem here in the US and we all have to stand up, speak up and do our part to stop it. I think people need to educate themselves and examine their beliefs and thoughts honestly. People need to talk to each other and ask questions and listen; and I mean to actually HEAR what people are saying.
Only then can change truly happen.
I’m sorry that your experience has been so difficult, it’s horrifying to consider how unwelcoming America can be when most of the population in power are the descendants of immigrants in the first place. However white privilege refers to the fact that skin colour is not the source of a systemic oppression. So outwardly no one would know what your background is or your last name, you could (and I am by no means suggesting you should) change your name to something like Jane Smith and not be stopped at the border anymore because your skin colour isn’t what’s making you get stopped. Whereas someone who gets stopped and searched or questions about whether they belong somewhere because of their skin can’t do anything at all to change that. That’s what white privilege is.

But the discrimination you face as an immigrant is wrong. I’m also an immigrant where I live, my name is the only thing that really identifies me as an immigrant because it’s a country that’s generally very white and I speak the language fluently without a discernable accent. I spent more time explaining where I’m from when I lived in the states for a few months than I have in the last 5 years where I live. I benefit from a lot of privilege because of my skin, no one has ever asked me where I’m ‘really’ from as has happened with my best friend who’s British but was born in West Africa.

Boredofthegram

VIP Member
I’d be really interested in this. The original post put in words exactly what I was thinking in a more eloquent way than I could word it 👍🏻

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Brilliant thread, thank you for all the links and posts. Can I please share this, and ask that you read, sign and share the petition. Black women are up to five times more likely to die during pregnancy and childbirth. Whilst this fact has been recognised there is no research into why this is.

• Heart