Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Fudgecakes

This is very helpful - thank you for sharing. I am one of those people who “doesn’t see race”. I genuinely don’t notice it. When I was at university, my mum asked me if there were many people of colour on my course. And I couldn’t answer her, as I really didn’t even notice. When I thought about it, I had Indian/black/Asian friends. I now realise that is wrong, and will work on that ignorant side of myself. Thank you again.

Reactions: 1

AnnaJ

As a white person I wanted to say to anybody on here mixed race (I don't know the correct term without offending anyone) that I'm really sorry for any bad experiences or situations you've experienced due to the colour of your skin by a white person or any other person (as on Mumsnet there's a thread on going rn I read that mixed race/black people suffer racism from all the other non-white cultures as well as white). I apologize for any abuse you've suffered and times you've felt really uncomfortable about simply being a different colour to others and I hope that this shocking incident doesn't spark hatred towards white people, because as you saw most of us stand against racism.

Coffeetrampbiatch

Oh yeah it was meant for the other post I'm so sorry I got really really angry and just started typing but you said everything I wanted to say and more it's scary that someone actually thinks it's OK imagine what they withheld inside and did t say it 😒
No worries! I thought so but I was like please don’t think I would say these things. ❤
It’s so scary. Especially cos that’s what they think in public albeit anonymously.

Pinchme

VIP Member
Racism is most definitely not a "bandwagon". I don't think there is any harm in sharing anything.....with such a big following it's something that can only do good. Its one of those things that if she doesn't say anything then she's oblivious to what is going on around her and if she does then she's just jumping on the "bandwagon"
Racism itself is not the bandwagon, but the way they all jump on things like this, because it's seens the thing to do. It was the same with 'be kind'
They will soon move on and it will be forgotten until the next time.

Before we know it they will start rioting here too, as the msm and celebs will keep on about it, it then soon becomes something completely different and tbh it then looses all its credibility, and the message is lost.

Fudgecakes

Another one I read about was ballerinas shoes. They are white skin colour and were designed to elongate the legs of (white) dancers. It was only last year or the year before that ballet shoes were made in a tone that would suit other skin colours such as black. I had never even noticed that before and that is white privilege. Same with the band aids.
Points I never thought about. Thank you for pointing this out.

Notyourpityparty

Chatty Member
A family friend was killed on his way to school in the early 90s in Kent by a group of white boys for being “coloured” (not black). This was before the Stephen Lawrence case. Progression comes through allies like yourselves challenging anti black sentiments in your social circles and communities as “all lives” can only matter when “black lives matter”.

Pinchme

VIP Member
Sorry but I’m not sure this thread is the right place for you. We are here to support the protests and give a voice to the movement.
OK, I'm out now, let's just hope that the London protests stay peaceful & many don't die of Covid because of them.

I will never agree with the violence that is being shown in USA, the looting of shops, how is that OK, by supporting the movement you are supporting the violence and death that's comes with it.

I didn't join this thread BTW, my post was added here by someone else.

Bye, stay safe, stay well.

Felix08

Chatty Member
I think I just assumed that people able to find tattle and have opinions against the norm of influencers etc that people love, would also be able to apply that critical thinking mindset to issues such as these. Sad I guess
Noticed last couple of days that the way people tattle here is far from polite, so rude sometimes

Coffeetrampbiatch

In the interest of supporting BAME-owned businesses, does anyone have any recommendations?

I struggled to find a doll for my daughter’s birthday but stumbled across a Spanish company called Miniland. They have boy/girl dolls of different races - black, white, Asian, Latino/a - and aren’t hugely expensive (£16-24 on Amazon, a bit more expensive if you buy through a small business). I like that the dolls have different features rather than the typical using the same moulds with different coloured plastic - the black girl doll also has curly hair. They are anatomically correct. Finally, they have a sweet vanilla smell which doesn’t seem to fade - my daughter’s doll still smells lovely after six months

They’re also one of the companies that produce black Down’s syndrome dolls. It’s worth noting there is also a white version. Personally I don’t think it’s box-ticking in this case - dolls are becoming more diverse but it is still often a case of ‘you can’t have both’. This leaves BAME parents torn between getting a doll that looks like their kid in terms of race OR in terms of disability. Finding a doll that reflects both can mean so much to children and their parents alike
They sound brilliant! Noting this 😊 my little niece will be getting one in the future (I’d get one for my nephews too but they’d just put it in a fight with iron Man 😂)

Thank you for posting this! I've always been very vocal with my kids about issues like this but I've realised we've not done enough and we've had a lot of discussion in the past few days. We've put a BLM poster in our window next to our rainbow, which I know is only a little thing to do but my 4 year old is very proud of it! We've signed all the petitions we can find and I've ordered some books for us all to read that I found in a list online, but I'll also look into the ones you listed.

My 16 year old wanted to go to one of the protests and I'd probably let him as they're looking very peaceful here and police appear to be also remaining peaceful, but we have 2 people in our house on the verge of being classed as vulnerable so he decided on his own that he'll do what he can from home.

We never did enough but we're working on changing that based on everything that's happened. I'm ashamed that it took an event like this for us to realise that being against racism isn't enough but we're working hard on improving that!
Love that your son is so keen to go, you’re obviously a great parent!
One of my nan’s neighbours has made a bit of a mural on a big board outside his house with the names of black people killed by the police and messages about BLM! 😊 just an idea !

KateESJ

VIP Member
The author of Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People about race doesn't want to make a profit from the book and has asked people to find her book for free and donate what they would of spent to black organisations

Thank you for that link! I was going to buy it but I will do exactly that. ❤

My kids are past the doll stage now but when they were little 10 years ago they had black dolls that were inexpensive from Early Learning Centre (no other ethnicities however). As a child in the 70s I remember asking for and getting a black doll.

Is it the case that things have moved backwards and the dolls are less accessible than they were previously?

Coffeetrampbiatch

But did black people come to your country

Oh so wait a minute was it black people that came to your country and took you by force? But did black people make you work and be a slave raped sold bought burnt killed for absolutely no reason just for being white? Did other POC come to every white country and force it to follow them or they will kill them? Or was is the black people that came up with the whole divide and conquer? Was it black pepole that stole all the treasures and the history from white people? Was it a Muslim man that introduced Prince Edward to those poor white underage girls? Was ebsteen black was fucking hitlar black is the pope that rapes little boys black I can honestly go on and on and notice how I used simple English just so you can understand because clearly you look like someone who has no education what so ever someone who never read a book I'm so scared that you are actually someone's mother who's raising children who will turn just like you which is so sad!!!
QsI think maybe you meant to reply to the original poster and not me but I completely agree.
It’s so scary to see someone claim that all of this is ok because a minority of people from a certain culture did something horrendous (grooming gangs) while the bulk of abuse in the UK has been perpetrated by white men. Where is her concern for the victims of Jimmy Saville?