Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

KateESJ

VIP Member

That's all I'll say.
"No other race suffers that in the U.K." is so beyond ignorant and I can't even-

Reactions: 10

Em28_

Chatty Member
I’m so thankful for this thread, I’ve been doing a lot of reading and trying to educate myself and be more vocal about what I, and my friends, as white people can do to help.

@Pinchme The six days of riots after MLK’s assassination resulted in the Civil Rights Act. There are lots of resources on the Black Lives Matter website that you may find helpful.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Just got back from a few hours at a protest in Chester. People were observing distancing the best that they could and it remained completely peaceful. It was the first time I’ve ever been part of anything like that and it was so moving.

Someone shared this on my Facebook. Feel like I’m talking to wall a lot of the time trying to argue why these protests must happen despite the pandemic.

Attachments

• Heart

blossombloss

Chatty Member
This thread fills me with so much hope and I definitely feel the love for you all as allys, thank you for taking the time to do the work and working towards dismantling racism.

• Heart

bubbletea123

VIP Member
No we really don't. It takes me back to a time of evidential racism.

As I said black isn't a dirty term. The skin is the largest organ so you can definitely tell I'm black.

Correct. Like I'm be honest there were times when I was job hunting I submitted 2 applications. Same education, same work experience etc.

One had a more ethnic name. That one was rejected
One had a more European name. Interview stage.

I phoned their HR and imagine when they tried blaming me for falsifying an application????

Thank for your input. I understand where you are coming from.

And for me with my Jewish allies I feel they can identify well with some aspects of being marginalised and can speak on them i.e. you saying you don't tell people you're Jewish could make me question why and ask how in 2020 we can make people feel uncomfortable for being Jewish, black, Chinese. I have had friends "white-passing" whos other halves don't know they are black due to racism.

As I said white privilege isn't saying your suffering isn't valid, its saying none if it was due to the color of your skin.

Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack points out this like
- I can go shopping alone most of the time and not be followed or harassed
- I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented
- When pulled over by a cop, I don't think of being killed due to my color
- I can chose blemish cover or bandages, spanxs in “flesh” color and have them more or less match my skin.

With regards to the woman you met at work. It's like how I approach white people. You get some who want to talk and some who don't. It's not your job to force them to and it's actually exhausting trying to. But I'm happy you were able to have a conversation with her in the end.
Another one I read about was ballerinas shoes. They are white skin colour and were designed to elongate the legs of (white) dancers. It was only last year or the year before that ballet shoes were made in a tone that would suit other skin colours such as black. I had never even noticed that before and that is white privilege. Same with the band aids.

SoulRebel

VIP Member
Just got back from a few hours at a protest in Chester. People were observing distancing the best that they could and it remained completely peaceful. It was the first time I’ve ever been part of anything like that and it was so moving.

Someone shared this on my Facebook. Feel like I’m talking to wall a lot of the time trying to argue why these protests must happen despite the pandemic.
Bloody well done!

Banksy has shown his support for the Black Lives Matter movement, saying “people of colour are being failed by the system”.

The graffiti artist wrote in an Instagram post: “At first I thought I should just shut up and listen to black people about this issue. But why would I do that? It’s not their problem, it’s mine.

“People of colour are being failed by the system. The white system. Like a broken pipe flooding the apartment of the people living downstairs. The faulty system is making their life a misery, but it’s not their job to fix it. They can’t, no one will let them in the apartment upstairs.

“This is a white problem. And if white people don’t fix it, someone will have to come upstairs and kick the door in.”

I hope that you don't mind, but I've share this post too.

Last edited:
  • Heart

coconochanel

VIP Member
Thank you for this. I do feel like it can be so hard to figure out as a white person where to stand correctly, and I know that it’s with POC It’s next to you, and with you.

I particularly found the point about the two debbies interesting - I always thought that describing one as ‘black’ might be deemed racist but I actually really liked your point about being able to see their colour, so thank you for that, it’s something I’ll certainly do going forward.

I feel like we’ve always been told to be ‘we see no colour’ as a way of ‘treating everyone equal’ but I see now how that is just as bad. Ive learnt we need to see colour, to acknowledge there is a problem.
Can I just say I find it incredibly ignorant when the older generation call black people 'coloured' people. I have actually corrected family/friends who have said it.:mad:

HopeThatHelps

Chatty Member
If you think racism is a “bandwagon” then you’re part of the problem
I don’t think these influencers can win really. If they post, they’re jumping on a bandwagon and if they don’t post, they will get slated for not using their platforms to address it. I say fair play to anybody who is sharing information on this. Regardless if they have read up on it or not, there’s never a cut off when you can start reading up and wanting to help make a change.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

GossWhore

VIP Member
I didn’t come to tattle To argue about race. I have my own thoughts and opinions and I’m not going to get into it here.
But you came with disrespect. As I said I hope your kids don't follow the same ideology you're obviously entrenched with.

Its not about winning its about learning and its clear you don't want to do that.

If you want a clear "how not to be a white ally" use this response.

And if you ever doubt how you are behaving, ask your black counterparts what you said and see their reaction.

Screenshot_20200530-011119_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

ShowMeYourFeline

Chatty Member
Woah woah woah. White people are SO privileged.

As a white person, in America or otherwise, you would never have to explain to your child what to do if they are pulled over. You would never expect them to be pulled over and not return hone. You would never expect them to reach for their driving license and not return home. You would never expect them to be killed for forgetting to indicate, or using what a cashier thought was a fake note.

We are not knocked back from nightclubs because we are white, we do not have people cross to the other side of the road because they don’t want to walk past us. If we don’t get a job, the colour of our skin is not a factor in that decision.

We are SO PRIVILEGED to not have these worries. We don’t see people of our own race plastered over social media being killed every day because of the colour of our skin. I have NEVER seen an image of a white person who has been killed by the police in an inhumane manor circulate my social media... and that’s because it simply doesn’t happen due to the fact that they are white.

POC can’t end something that they did not start. It is our job, as white people, to end the racism.

Please please educate yourself.

Oh please 🙄

NO ONE has to worry about the nonsense in your second paragraph in the U.K. EVERYONE does in the US. It is a different country. That is my UK privilege, not white.

And yes actually I did learn as a child what to do when a police car wants you to pull over. Oh, the suffering 🙄

No one in the UK is legally knocked back from nightclubs because of their race. Although I’d like to see you trying to get into a black nightclub.

White people are legally excluded from jobs all the time, it’s called positive discrimination. Examples: police, TV presenters, media, medicine degree placements (which lead to being a doctor; then they claim we rely on non-white for the NHS despite us deliberately being excluded). They also specifically limit placements of foreign European (ie, white) students. We are the only race that it’s legal to do this to.

If white people cross the road it’s because we are statistically likely to be victimised. I would rather be the race that has hurt feelings than the race who are targeted for rape and muggings.

Even if the nonsense you wrote was true and applicable in the U.K., I would still take being wary of police and rejected from nightclubs, over being gang raped as a child or tortured to death.

• Angry
  • Heart

KateESJ

VIP Member
👏🏻👏🏽👏🏿
This is great news, I hope that people don’t think though that this means that justice has been served and the work can stop, its only just beginning. Let’s hope for an unbiased, non racist, diverse judge and jury for the trial.
Yes!! I know some people are worried about the fact that the charge has been elevated because it will make it harder to convict. Hopefully there will be enough evidence.... the video probably would be enough if it was a civilian but they seem far more hesitant to admit that for cops. BUT I bet they know there will be global outcry if they get let off the hook now.

KateESJ

VIP Member
What baffles me is when people say they're not racist and say something that is offensive and get defensive. If it was unintentional then learn from it! There's no shame in not knowing, really.

I accidentally spoke over a POC recently on Facebook, by giving my opinion on a statement released by a company. The girl replied and stated I was speaking over them and many others did to, so instead of being defensive I apologised and thanked them for letting me know my original statement was offensive to them.

Some people were rude afterwards despite my apology and appreciation to those who informed me, which I wasn't sure what to do with as I didn't want to say "I already apologised, I won't do it again etc." as it sounds like I'm brushing it off and being rude, when I'm not. I wasn't sure how to deal with the continued backlash, but I still appreciated being called out on it as my offense was completely unintentional and I didn't want to do it again without realising it could be offensive.

Our white privilege means we aren't always aware what can be offensive to POC but if you're called out on it - improve! Acknowlege that it was wrong and do better next time.

Last edited:
  • Heart

KateESJ

VIP Member
I read his first autopsy a few days ago when it was released. I don't really know whether to believe it given that it was carried out by the same institution that killed him, but the comments on the post were beyond ridiculous.

From "he had meth & fentanyl in his system, that must've contributed" (even though I think the drug traces were very small) to the even more ridiculous "he tested positive for covid so he died from that..." and "so covid killed him then!" People seem desperate to find some kind of narrative... 9 minutes of a knee on your neck would kill ANYONE. No matter if you had traces of drugs in your system or a heart issue. Drives me completely insane.

• Heart

bubbletea123

VIP Member
I have a very diverse friendship group, white/black/Asian. On the majority of nights out my black friends make us go in front of them to get into clubs because bouncers are more likely to knock them back.

Racism exists in the UK too, let’s not be naive to it. Ignoring the problem creates the problem.

These protests are SO important. If I lived nearer to them I’d be there myself (wearing PPE).

Our voices are so important. We need to use this opportunity. Racism needs to stop. Police brutality needs to stop.
It absolutely exists in the UK. If the UK police had guns, I am sure we would see the same problems as the USA with police shooting dead innocent black people. People who say they shouldn't be protesting need to check themselves. The louder people are, the better. Silent protests do nothing. The loud ones gain traction and get attention.

I am ashamed to admit this now but years ago I was one of those people who didn't understand the term white privilege. I lived in a small town, with mostly white people and was incredibly sheltered. I have since moved to North America, where my eyes have been opened and I began educating myself on exactly what white privilege is and I am embarrassed to think that I never "got" it before.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
It absolutely exists in the UK. If the UK police had guns, I am sure we would see the same problems as the USA with police shooting dead innocent black people. People who say they shouldn't be protesting need to check themselves. The louder people are, the better. Silent protests do nothing. The loud ones gain traction and get attention.

I am ashamed to admit this now but years ago I was one of those people who didn't understand the term white privilege. I lived in a small town, with mostly white people and was incredibly sheltered. I have since moved to North America, where my eyes have been opened and I began educating myself on exactly what white privilege is and I am embarrassed to think that I never "got" it before.
I also didn’t understand it until recent years. I’ve also always lived in an area with mostly whites people, there was no black children in my year in school. It wasn’t until I went to University and met people from all different backgrounds/ethnicities/cultures that I realised how sheltered I’d been. I was lucky to have BAME friends that were incredibly open and would discuss their experiences and let me and others ask them questions.

As an adult I have made racism my problem. It isn’t just the problem of my BAME friends, it’s mine too. I will challenge it and speak out about it. I will educate myself and others. And at times like this, I will stand with them and support them.

Recognising that we were once very sheltered isn’t anything to be ashamed of. It shows that we have learnt and now realise that white privilege does exist and is a huge problem

Reactions: 7