Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Limetree

Blimey, it’s TIRING isn’t it! You make an eloquent (you think) and reasoned argument but they keep coming? Back into the space to talk about white allyship! It’s not like there isn’t the rest of the world as a space to talk about white people?

Black people, how have you been DOING THIS all these years?

• Heart
Reactions: 14

KateESJ

VIP Member
The way I understand it is that there are different types of privilege. Anyone who is white, has white privilege. That doesn't mean they're privileged overall or that their life hasn't been difficult, or that they haven't been discriminated against. There are plenty of other forms of privilege based on religion, sexuality, gender, gender identity etc.

I am white so I have white privilege and have definitely experienced advantages due to that. I still am less privileged in other areas but white privilege is possibly one of the most prevalent at the moment.

Feel free to correct me of course if I'm incorrect.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
If you read my post I said that racism isn't the bandwagon, it's just every Instagramer I have seen have all just posted the same stuff, as they did with 'be kind'. Do you really think they all care, I doubt it very much.

Why don't they just post their own thoughts & their own message of condolence, nope they just all post exactly the same, that what annoys me, they are jumping on the bandwagon.

Hopefully the rioting in USA and unrest will soon be over. It will then all go quiet until the next time. The influencers will move on & not mention it again.

We all know what's happening, we don't need to be shown exact same thing on everyone's page 😕
black activists are asking white people to elevate their voices rather than as usual dominate with our own white feelings. No one gives a fuck if we’re crying because yet again another black human being has been murdered. White tears mean nothing right now, actions are needed and sharing/elevating the black voices on this platform for once is essential. So no, I do not think Stacey should write her own words - she doesn’t know enough to, none of us do. Yet.

ETA; if you think the unrest needs to be over and silence resumed then you really are terrifyingly part of the problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

eyeballs

VIP Member
Wow. That is the exact kind of racism people are trying to end.
These people need calling out.

Reactions: 12

ShowMeYourFeline

Chatty Member
The whole notion of white privileged is vile. There is no tangible evidence we have privilege and plenty that we have disadvantages.

The victims of Muslim grooming gangs were overwhelmingly white and selected for this reason. These children were called white cunts and white whores while being brutally gang raped. Their skin colour disadvantaged them.

The 70,000 white people who have been tortured to death in South Africa were selected for the colour of their skin.

White people like that Springwatch presenter can get openly sacked for the colour of their skin. No other race suffers that in the U.K.

No other race are not allowed to speak on racial issues that affect them.

No other people fight for other races like white people do. It’s pathetic to see you all wringing your hands and tying your mind in knots to internalise and justify anti-white racial hatred. Then actually feel superior to other white people for doing so. You’re wasting your energy on people who hate you with every fibre of their being and wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire. Not only that but your supporting the destruction and theft of the properties and businesses of completely innocent people. This is just an excuse for “wilding” as they call it.

The reason we don’t feel afraid when arrested is not because of white privilege, but because the police in this country are generally well-trained and not power-tripping maniacs.

The fact is that police in the USA kill far too many people, not just blacks. The only reason it appears that more black people get killed is simply because they are more likely to be arrested in the first place. Studies show police are actually more careful when dealing with black people. You can sneer at All Lives Matter all you like, but there is never media attention when white people are killed by non-white cops. You don’t even know it happens.

They should be peacefully protesting for US police to stop killing in general, and for specific policy changes, rather than just looting and generalised shrieking.

• Angry
  • Heart

GossWhore

VIP Member
OP I’m sorry your thread turned in this. This was supposed to be a safe space with positivity.

The majority of us are still here for that but I’m sorry some are trying to ruin it.

If you aren’t here to be positive then read the room and leave. Make a new thread if you really want to discuss that stuff.
Hi Kate. I've had 2 people already banned from Tattle. So the rest I'm watching with a close eye.

• Heart

idk2

VIP Member
In my teens, I had to learn to love myself, my culture and my religion. All throughout my life, I was the "white washed" friend, the friend everyone accepted because I wasn't like the other black, middle eastern, asian people etc. I was not proud to be a second generation here in the UK, I would never like my dad coming to my school on parents evening because I knew as soon as he spoke, people would know we weren't like them. I lived in a very middle class area, my dad did very well for himself especially after coming to this country from nothing. And yet he still speaks broken English even though he has the intellect to learn it properly. He still speaks with an accent, even though he can switch it in the blink of an eye. I would go out of my way to speak for him so he didn't have to, not taking in to account how he might feel. All these things from my childhood came back to haunt me as I grew up and more aware of racism.

I joined twitter in 2011, I was 13. It was my first social media back account then and ever since, It has opened my eyes to all the injustice in the world. Now I walk proudly with my head held high when I speak my 4 home languages in the streets. Now, I let my dad speak. Now, I speak back to him in his first language and IM the one who's struggling and stuttering and never once has he laughed, never once has he spoken over me.

Even though, I am a POC, I was very sheltered growing up. I had to learn about reverse racism, subtle racism, institutionalised racism etc and try to be the change I wanted to see. I have very ambiguous features and tanned skin. I get different ethnicities everyday. But the question I always get is "Where are you from?" I will always reply the UK. But you can guess, the person is never happy with that answer. The question is always asked again but in a different way such as "Where are your parents from?" or a "You know, where are you REALLY from?" . This is subtle racism. You can ask about a persons heritage and culture without implying they are not from where you thought they would be from.

I like to think I'm advocating for people in my daily life. I like to think I challenge people when they say questionable things. I like to think I surround myself with people who educated on the matter and understand their privilege. I like to think my generation will be the change we want to see, Twitter certainly gives me hope for this. If a protest is happening in my city, I will be there in full PPE. Enough is enough. We need to stand together as one. This treatment of black people cannot go on like this, it is inhumane and seeing the way many police officers are responding to these protests only highlights how much power they wield. Why are the American police given so much weaponry? Why do they have so much power in their hands that they have tear gas, tasers, guns, tanks, shields, etc all at their disposal? Yet Doctors/Nurses on the front line fighting Covid cant even get proper face masks never mind full PPE? The fact that these police officers are driving in to crowds of people with NO fear shows how they think they can get away with this BECAUSE THEY HAVE GOT AWAY WITH WORSE BEFORE.

It fills me with hope that people are educating themselves. I'm thankful I'm surrounded by friends who understand their white privilege and are one of the first to voice their outrage both in real life and on their social media platforms.
Seems all my posts on this website turn into essays. I ramble way too much!

• Heart

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Not being able to acknowledge the fact that white privilege exists is literally because of the fact you have white privilege so have never had to acknowledge it

Last edited:
  • Heart

KateESJ

VIP Member
OP I’m sorry your thread turned in this. This was supposed to be a safe space with positivity.

The majority of us are still here for that but I’m sorry some are trying to ruin it.

If you aren’t here to be positive then read the room and leave. Make a new thread if you really want to discuss that stuff.

When my gran who has dementia went into a care home she would say things like “Lizzie is my carer, lovely girl, she’s coloured you know”.

She did it once or twice and my aunties gave her an education about what was acceptable to say.

Gran stopped using the term. In her 90s, with dementia. If she can learn, anyone can. There’s not a suitable excuse.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

GossWhore

VIP Member
If anyone sees posts they want to share. Do so. This is a conversation x

Screenshot_20200531-230121_Instagram.jpg

you know, I’ve been reading seeing comments on twitter and Instagram on the protests... but I’m reading a lot that people aren’t happy that white people are protesting.

I think this is the issue, we don’t know how to help. We can speak on social media behind our keyboards but will that really help really? What should help is, white people being on the streets and standing strong as a unit. But, the amount of nasty things I’m reading when we should all come together hand in hand is just shocking.

Appreantly white people have caused every single fire, the only ones looting and the police brutality at the riots - videos and photos out there say otherwise, I’ve seen people from all cultures partaking in it all and mainly young men with the looting. And the police brutality was cause by no one, they’re attacking news reporters.

How can we all move forward if no one accepts no one?
People DO want white people protesting. I saw a barrier created by white people because they knew police wouldn't touch them. That was true allyship.

There was a white American man who was crying to Fox News that 2 African Americans pulled him from his car and torched it. He forgot to add that HE had been trying to shoot people with a bow and arrow screaming All Lives Matter. Thankfully, someone recorded the true account.

A white woman in a wheelchair said black people were attacking her, when it was clear she was wielding a knife.
If you are going there to create havoc and derail to make black people be blamed. Stay at home.

Last edited:

prinnygrace

VIP Member
The whole notion of white privileged is vile. There is no tangible evidence we have privilege and plenty that we have disadvantages.

The victims of Muslim grooming gangs were overwhelmingly white and selected for this reason. These children were called white cunts and white whores while being brutally gang raped. Their skin colour disadvantaged them.

The 70,000 white people who have been tortured to death in South Africa were selected for the colour of their skin.

White people like that Springwatch presenter can get openly sacked for the colour of their skin. No other race suffers that in the U.K.

No other race are not allowed to speak on racial issues that affect them.

No other people fight for other races like white people do. It’s pathetic to see you all wringing your hands and tying your mind in knots to internalise and justify anti-white racial hatred. Then actually feel superior to other white people for doing so. You’re wasting your energy on people who hate you with every fibre of their being and wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire. Not only that but your supporting the destruction and theft of the properties and businesses of completely innocent people. This is just an excuse for “wilding” as they call it.

The reason we don’t feel afraid when arrested is not because of white privilege, but because the police in this country are generally well-trained and not power-tripping maniacs.

The fact is that police in the USA kill far too many people, not just blacks. The only reason it appears that more black people get killed is simply because they are more likely to be arrested in the first place. Studies show police are actually more careful when dealing with black people. You can sneer at All Lives Matter all you like, but there is never media attention when white people are killed by non-white cops. You don’t even know it happens.

They should be peacefully protesting for US police to stop killing in general, and for specific policy changes, rather than just looting and generalised shrieking.
Woah woah woah. White people are SO privileged.

As a white person, in America or otherwise, you would never have to explain to your child what to do if they are pulled over. You would never expect them to be pulled over and not return hone. You would never expect them to reach for their driving license and not return home. You would never expect them to be killed for forgetting to indicate, or using what a cashier thought was a fake note.

We are not knocked back from nightclubs because we are white, we do not have people cross to the other side of the road because they don’t want to walk past us. If we don’t get a job, the colour of our skin is not a factor in that decision.

We are SO PRIVILEGED to not have these worries. We don’t see people of our own race plastered over social media being killed every day because of the colour of our skin. I have NEVER seen an image of a white person who has been killed by the police in an inhumane manor circulate my social media... and that’s because it simply doesn’t happen due to the fact that they are white.

POC can’t end something that they did not start. It is our job, as white people, to end the racism.

Please please educate yourself.

Last edited:

GossWhore

VIP Member
This conversation came from this extremely polite and respectful response so I thought I would start a new thread in case anyone else wanted to know

The conversation was

Hi,
What do you think the best way for white people to educate people through social media is? I am not an influencer but would like to talk about this more and right now that is online, given social distancing. What is the best way to show that we are allies? I am sorry for these questions and hope you don't mind, I just want to make sure I am posting the best stuff I can.

I have shared a list of books that I have read about white privilege and how to be antiracist. I found them very informative and it definitely opened my eyes.

grumpycat

VIP Member
Thank you for this. I do feel like it can be so hard to figure out as a white person where to stand correctly, and I know that it’s with POC It’s next to you, and with you.

I particularly found the point about the two debbies interesting - I always thought that describing one as ‘black’ might be deemed racist but I actually really liked your point about being able to see their colour, so thank you for that, it’s something I’ll certainly do going forward.

I feel like we’ve always been told to be ‘we see no colour’ as a way of ‘treating everyone equal’ but I see now how that is just as bad. Ive learnt we need to see colour, to acknowledge there is a problem.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Are we not able to have peaceful protests? How what is happening now is going to make any difference, if anything when I see it, it just makes me more angry and it's all so pointless.

How can more deaths be OK?
The protests are peaceful. The police are the ones turning it violent. There’s many videos circulating on twitter that show this and many great resources out there to educate yourself :)

This thread is supposed to be a safe space for allies. Let’s not turn it negative. We are here to support the movement.

Last edited:
I would really like to know how the US and U.K. compare are in terms of rasisim - is it the same or different. To me, I like to feel the British culture are much more open to everything. Is police brutality a thing in the U.K., well I guess it is... but, is it to that same extreme?!

I also would love to know, no one has the answers but... what is it that changes?! Children aren’t born racist, it’s taught by others. But in 2020, how is this still a thing?
I am from London too, though it is a multicultural city and as a white person you may not have thought about race, the experience of minorities would be far from the same.

White privilege allows obliviousness, as we benefit from the system built to keep one group above the other. And yes even in 2020, racism still exists, in order to uphold this.

US and U.K. has similarities, there’s aplenty racial profiling and abuse by U.K. police, and the Stephen Lawrence case found that the met is institutionally racist. The London riots in 2010 started due to the police shooting and killing a man. Anyway it’s not a competition.

I’m glad collective learning and unlearning is happening RN.

Reactions: 10

KateESJ

VIP Member
Oh please 🙄

NO ONE has to worry about the nonsense in your second paragraph in the U.K. EVERYONE does in the US. It is a different country. That is my UK privilege, not white.

And yes actually I did learn as a child what to do when a police car wants you to pull over. Oh, the suffering 🙄

No one in the UK is legally knocked back from nightclubs because of their race. Although I’d like to see you trying to get into a black nightclub.

White people are legally excluded from jobs all the time, it’s called positive discrimination. Examples: police, TV presenters, media, medicine degree placements (which lead to being a doctor; then they claim we rely on non-white for the NHS despite us deliberately being excluded). They also specifically limit placements of foreign European (ie, white) students. We are the only race that it’s legal to do this to.

If white people cross the road it’s because we are statistically likely to be victimised. I would rather be the race that has hurt feelings than the race who are targeted for rape and muggings.

Even if the nonsense you wrote was true and applicable in the U.K., I would still take being wary of police and rejected from nightclubs, over being gang raped as a child or tortured to death.
If you think it's not an issue in the UK then you're just ignorant.

"There were 103,379 hate crimes recorded by the police in England and Wales in 2018/19, an increase of ten per cent compared with 2017/18 (94,121 offences). The majority of hate crimes were race hate crimes, accounting for around threequarters of offences (76%; 78,991 offences)"

78,991 race hate crimes in a YEAR. That's 216 A DAY.

1591202166028.png

• Heart
So you think the unrest and rioting and even more killing is going to make a change, isn't that what has happened in the past, and it's still happening now.

In what way is rioting, smashing neighborhoods, burning people's shops, ruining more lives going to help the suitation.

It needs to stop & people need to talk, these actions are not going to make the slightest bit of difference as we have all seen before.
We keep talking and no one gives a damn.... when will our voices be heard. Even you are trying to silence us

• Heart