Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

GossWhore

VIP Member
Thanks for being so patient with me trying to formulate a response. Work got on top of me.

So to answer "What can white allies do on social media and off"?

1. Start conversations with your fellow white people (especially the ones who are not allies yet)
- Don't wait for black people to start the conversation constantly, this is a relay race so we are passing the baton as honestly, we are tired.
- These conversations can be about on current affairs happening within black communities such as George Floyd and grow from there.
- Raise unconscious bias questions such as have you ever questioned being in a room just filled with white people, your interactions with police, your position on dating outside your race, assumptions you have made about other races in the past?
- It is perfectly OK if you have changed your initial stance on these bias, but by starting the conversation with other white people you can make them aware of things they may never have thought to question. (For example, my friend put forward the question for her white followers to note how many other races were in the room at team meetings, something they had never questioned, yet after than initial conversation it made them rethink) - in the current climate, you could alter this as how many other races do you follow on your socials? Some people will be shocked.

2. Embrace the Uncomfortable
- You all saw the interaction here on Tattle when I made a clear point and instead of the responder understanding, a poorly formed Snickers joke was made -- and that is because of white fragility which makes white people uncomfortable so instead of trying to understand - jokes are cracked, the subject is changed, defensive go up, disagreeing without understanding and the final nail "All Lives Matter" is uttered.
- As I said you have to feel uncomfortable because that is a small margin in comparison to what black people deal with.
- Question "why do I feel this way"? - investigate those emotions that make you uncomfortable instead of shutting them down.

2. Unlearn the rhetoric: "I don't see Color"
- Wild right?
- Some white allies I know use to think some of the things they said were socially acceptable, but really they were overtly racist statements e.g. "I don't see color" -- unlearn that.
- Don't be scared to say black because if you have two Debbies are one is black, just say it because you can definitely see her colour and that is a part of her.
- So yes you see color - because if you don't you are not seeing your black friends, family, coworkers and you don't see the unequal infrastructure and injustice.
- Jane Elliot (one of my fav white allies) spoke about this here (I would implore you to watch the whole video, but 9.44 is where she begins the conversation), also check out her experiment called "How Racist Are You" on brown and blue eyes she did in the UK on Channel 4 a few years ago here.

3. Use resources, not just black people
- After unlearning you have to relearn and although it's great to have these conversations, black people are exhausted so we can't always be the go-to. So books, films and Google are great resources.
- As I once said to my friend "you cannot say you are well-read, when every book you read is by a white author"
- Join a book club and bring that book as your choice to discuss further
- By reading and watching various sources, you become less of an echo chamber with similar people, you get an insight into issues you may not have known about or known how to approach
- Learn slowly and intentional, not just for the sake of learning

Some of my recommended are:

Books:
  • The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander
  • Why I am No Longer Talking to White People About Race - Reni Eddo-Lodge
  • The Good Immigrant - Nikesh Shukla
  • Brit(ish) - Afua Hirsch
  • So You Want To Talk About Race - Ijeoma Oluo
  • Natives - Akala
  • Tears We Cannot Stop - Michael Eric Dyson
  • They Can't Kill Us All - Wesley Lowery
  • White Fragility - Robin DiAngelo
  • Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? - Beverly Daniel Tatum
  • White Rage - Carol Anderson
Films
  • When They See Us
  • If Beale Street Could Talk
  • The Hate U Give
  • Dear White People
  • Selma
  • The Color Purple
  • Hidden Figures
- Sidenote: I do not recommend things I have not read or watched myself, so this is a personal list

3. Curate diverse social medias
- This will help keep you informed and out of the echo chamber.
- With diverse, share and comment on these activists posts. Ask questions so you are constantly learning (plus it allows others who may come across the post and have the same question, have a better understanding)
This way you can also help boost the voices of black people and be aware of what is going on when you receive backlash (because trust me you will, not everyone wants a fairer society and you realise that via social media). This will give you a platform to denounce things if you don't racism wins.
- Use your feed to not only like and learn, but speak out, as MLK Jr said "to ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it"

3. Accept your white privilege
- I know many who hate the term, roll their eyes and scoff but its a necessity to accept and acknowledge.
- It also takes a lot of introspectiveness from white people and again can be uncomfortable unpacking these conversations.
- Remember white privilege is not saying you haven't had a hard life or invaliding that, it just notes your skin colour did not add to it
- Use your privilege for good in many of the ways listed in this post - if you have children teach them about this, the younger the better
- If you constantly fight against this, I am sorry but you can never truly be an ally with your eyes shut whilst benefiting from a system that consistently fails black people.

4. Financially help
- There are great organisations out there such as ROTA, Race Equality Foundation, NAACP, Color of Change.
- If that's not possible sign petitions, AND keep the conversation alive. Share it between friends and talk about why you are sharing it.
- As noted, I said not to use black people you know as your go-to Google, but if you have events, workshops, programmes on race and know someone who could contribute and earn from this - ask them. You get to play a part in financially helping and also spreading knowledge.

4. Call them Out!
- That's right - call out your problematic friends, family members etc, "Silence in the face of injustice is complicity with the oppressor"
- Call out your councillors, MPs, Mayors via email, letter - step on their necks and make them feel the pressure!
- To be a good ally, we need to see you doing the work!
- It is no longer enough to say "I'm not racist", you have to show your anti-racism through your actions.

Lastly, this is life long work, and now you can understand why black people are tired. So as a white ally, you need to daily acknowledge your own racial bias and commit to dismantling it within.

This movement cannot be led solely by black people. If we want real change, we need real allyship.

Thanks for reading this, the last couple days have been extremely tough - this really pushed my buttons as my brother was killed due to police brutality (why I left NYC and came back to the UK), but the white allies I had made after has truly shown me change can happen if people are willing to acknowledge and work for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 93

thenomad

VIP Member
Tbf I feel like in this situation white people cant win. We say nothing we get accused to standing by it. We show support and we’re white privileged.
First of all, this was never about “winning”. So please get out of that mentality and be willing to come to the table with an open mind and not by falling back to being a victim in this situation-when you are not.

It is about taking action instead of idly standing by the sidelines and pretending to be upset that something bad happened and then merely brushing it off because it doesn’t affect your life personally. POC do not protest in order to “win”. POC are not bringing up racism just for the point of “winning”. They are doing so to bring about change. They are doing so because so many injustices, and in the case for black people, lives are being deliberately extinguished.

The fact that even @GossWhore has to bring receipts and explain to you what is happening or how you can be an ally, instead of you taking your the time to go do some research on your own and playing victim is already the wrong attitude and mindset to be coming into this. This isn’t about winning or trying to make you feel bad for being a white person. It is about willing to be educated and truly understand what you take for granted each and every day is not afforded to POC. And maybe that you can be an ally during these tumultuous times.

I will leave it there, how you decide to react and take the next steps is up to you.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 59

Justhereforanosetbh

So let me get this right, you complain if she shows pics of her kids, of her house, if she does any ads, but now you’re also complaining because she’s attempting to use her power to promote anti-racism and awareness? Some people are unbelievable on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 31

Newbie86

They are all just posting the same stuff, doubt any of them have actually read up on it. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but again it's just something to join in with, trying to let people know they care!! They care about where the next freebee is coming from.

Looking at videos today and it looks like the Nike shops in USA are pretty trashed.

It's just another bandwagon, soon to be forgotten when the next one comes along.
Racism is most definitely not a "bandwagon". I don't think there is any harm in sharing anything.....with such a big following it's something that can only do good. Its one of those things that if she doesn't say anything then she's oblivious to what is going on around her and if she does then she's just jumping on the "bandwagon"

• Heart
Reactions: 24

KateESJ

VIP Member
Last post on this, Just seen this posted elsewhere, there's a protest and then there's crime.
You said you were leaving. You appear to be having a hard time doing that.

This thread isn't for you, as @prinnygrace said.

If you're more concerned about the looting and protests than you are about the repeat murders of unarmed black people then you need to reevaluate your priorities. Also by the look of that picture, they're looting target. They looted target because they refused to sell milk to protestors who had been protesting peacefully and got maced/tear gassed. AND the CEO of target literally released a statement saying he was on their side. So...

nn.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22

GossWhore

VIP Member
I come back to this thread multiple times a day and nearly cried at the honesty that is going on because that's how we move forward.

As vocal as I'm been on Tattle. Is how vocal I've been on my own socials and real life. And it is exhausting. My brain has not stopped seeing things. Even when I want to mentally have a break, I can't because I feel I need to stay alert.

But it does make me happy that the burden isn't just on black people anymore. As I said to my friend "It's not black v white. It's black v racism" so we all have a part to play

Basically I appreciate everyone's input. My brother, George Floyd and many others did not therefore die in vain

• Heart
Reactions: 21

MotherofDragons

The whole notion of white privileged is vile. There is no tangible evidence we have privilege and plenty that we have disadvantages.

The victims of Muslim grooming gangs were overwhelmingly white and selected for this reason. These children were called white cunts and white whores while being brutally gang raped. Their skin colour disadvantaged them.

The 70,000 white people who have been tortured to death in South Africa were selected for the colour of their skin.

White people like that Springwatch presenter can get openly sacked for the colour of their skin. No other race suffers that in the U.K.

No other race are not allowed to speak on racial issues that affect them.

No other people fight for other races like white people do. It’s pathetic to see you all wringing your hands and tying your mind in knots to internalise and justify anti-white racial hatred. Then actually feel superior to other white people for doing so. You’re wasting your energy on people who hate you with every fibre of their being and wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire. Not only that but your supporting the destruction and theft of the properties and businesses of completely innocent people. This is just an excuse for “wilding” as they call it.

The reason we don’t feel afraid when arrested is not because of white privilege, but because the police in this country are generally well-trained and not power-tripping maniacs.

The fact is that police in the USA kill far too many people, not just blacks. The only reason it appears that more black people get killed is simply because they are more likely to be arrested in the first place. Studies show police are actually more careful when dealing with black people. You can sneer at All Lives Matter all you like, but there is never media attention when white people are killed by non-white cops. You don’t even know it happens.

They should be peacefully protesting for US police to stop killing in general, and for specific policy changes, rather than just looting and generalised shrieking.
Just so you know, I’ve reported your post for open racism. This is a thread for people to discuss how we can be good allies to black people and support the Black Lives Matter movement, not for ignorant racists like you to hijack with your disgusting agenda.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

GossWhore

VIP Member
So what exactly has protesting accomplished?

👉🏾Within 10 days of sustained protests:
Minneapolis bans use of choke holds.

👉🏾 George Floyd’s murderer was originally charged with 3rd degree murder. He is now being charged with 2nd degree murder.

👉🏾The other three officers who stood on scene and did NOTHING to help Floyd are being charged with aiding and abetting 2nd degree murder.

👉🏾Breonna Taylor’s Case has been reopened.

👉🏾Louisville, KY’s mayor is ordering an outside review of the entire city police department.

👉🏾Dallas adopts a "duty to intervene" rule that requires officers to stop other cops who are engaging in inappropriate use of force.

👉🏾New Jersey’s attorney general said the state will update its use-of-force guidelines for the first time in two decades.

👉🏾In Maryland, a bipartisan work group of state lawmakers announced a police reform work group.

👉🏾A seminar scheduled in December for KC police that trains cops to kill without hestitation was cancelled.

👉🏾Los Angeles City Council introduces motion to reduce LAPD’s $1.8 billion operating budget.

👉🏾MBTA in Boston agrees to stop using public buses to transport police officers to protests.

👉🏾Police brutality captured on cameras leads to near-immediate suspensions and firings of officers in several cities (i.e., Buffalo, Ft. Lauderdale).

👉🏾Monuments celebrating confederates are removed in cities in Virginia, Alabama, and other states.

👉🏾James Miller resigned from his role in the Defense Asvisory Board at the Pentagon in response to the Secretary of Defense’s support of LEOs clearing out White House protestors with tear gas so Trump could take a publicity photo.

👉🏾Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he will oppose Trump’s threats to deploy federal troops to stop protestors across the US.

👉🏾Street in front of the White House is renamed "Black Lives Matter Plaza.”
Military forces begin to withdraw from D.C.

Then, there's all the other stuff that's hard to measure:

💓The really difficult public and private conversations that are happening about race and privilege.

💓The realizations some white people are coming to about racism and the role of policing in this country.

💓The self-reflection.

💓The internal battles exploding within organizations over issues that have been simmering or ignored for a long time. Some organizations will end as a result, others will be forever changed or replaced with something stronger and fairer.

Globally:

🌎 Protests against racial inequality sparked by the police killing of George Floyd are taking place all over the world.

🌎 Rallies and memorials have been held in cities across Europe, as well as in Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Australia, and New Zealand.

🌎 As the US contends with its second week of protests, issues of racism, police brutality, and oppression have been brought to light across the globe.

🌎 People all over the world understand that their own fights for human rights, for equality and fairness, will become so much more difficult to win if we are going to lose America as the place where 'I have a dream' is a real and universal political program," Wolfgang Ischinger, a former German ambassador to the US, told the New Yorker.

🌎 In France, protesters marched holding signs that said "I can't breathe" to signify both the words of Floyd, and the last words of Adama Traoré, a 24-year-old black man who was subdued by police officers and gasped the sentence before he died outside Paris in 2016.

🌎 Cities across Europe have come together after the death of George Floyd:

✊🏽 In Amsterdam, an estimated 10,000 people filled the Dam square on Monday, holding signs and shouting popular chants like "Black lives matter," and "No justice, no peace."

✊🏽 In Germany, people gathered in multiple locations throughout Berlin to demand justice for Floyd and fight against police brutality.

✊🏾 A mural dedicated to Floyd was also spray-painted on a stretch of wall in Berlin that once divided the German capital during the Cold War.

✊🏿 In Ireland, protesters held a peaceful demonstration outside of Belfast City Hall, and others gathered outside of the US embassy in Dublin.

✊🏿In Italy, protesters gathered and marched with signs that said "Stop killing black people," "Say his name," and "We will not be silent."

✊🏾 In Spain, people gathered to march and hold up signs throughout Barcelona and Madrid.

✊🏾 In Athens, Greece, protesters took to the streets to collectively hold up a sign that read "I can't breathe."

✊🏾 In Brussels, protesters were seen sitting in a peaceful demonstration in front of an opera house in the center of the city.

✊🏾In Denmark, protesters were heard chanting "No justice, no peace!" throughout the streets of Copenhagen, while others gathered outside the US embassy.

✊🏾 In Canada, protesters were also grieving for Regis Korchinski-Paquet, a 29-year-old black woman who died on Wednesday after falling from her balcony during a police investigation at her building.

✊🏾 And in New Zealand, roughly 2,000 people marched to the US embassy in Auckland, chanting and carrying signs demanding justice.

💐 Memorials have been built for Floyd around the world, too. In Mexico City, portraits of him were hung outside the US embassy with roses, candles, and signs.

💐 In Poland, candles and flowers were laid out next to photos of Floyd outside the US consulate.

💐 And in Syria, two artists created a mural depicting Floyd in the northwestern town of Binnish, "on a wall destroyed by military planes."

Before the assassination of George Floyd some of you were able to say whatever the hell you wanted and the world didn't say anything to you...

THERE HAS BEEN A SHIFT, AN AWAKENING...MANY OF YOU ARE BEING EXPOSED FOR WHO YOU REALLY ARE. #readthatagain

Don't wake up tomorrow on the wrong side of this issue. Its not to late to SAY,

"maybe I need to look at this from a different perspective.

Maybe I don't know what its like to be Black in America...

Maybe, just maybe, I have been taught wrong."

There is still so much work to be done. It's been a really dark, raw week. This could still end badly. But all we can do is keep doing the work.

Keep protesting.

WE ARE NOT TRYING TO START A RACE WAR; WE ARE PROTESTING TO END IT,
PEACEFULLY.

How beautiful is that?

ALL LIVES CANNOT MATTER UNTIL YOU INCLUDE BLACK LIVES.

YOU CANNOT SAY 'ALL LIVES MATTER' WHEN YOU DO NOTHING TO STOP SYSTEMIC RACISM & POLICE BRUTALITY.

YOU CANNOT SAY 'ALL LIVES MATTER' WHEN BLACK PEOPLE ARE DYING AND ALL YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT IS THE LOOTING.

YOU CANNOT SAY 'ALL LIVES MATTER' WHEN YOU ALLOW CHILDREN TO BE CAGED, VETERANS TO GO HOMELESS, AND POOR FAMILIES TO GO HUNGRY & LOSE THEIR HEALTH INSURANCE.

DO ALL LIVES MATTER? YES. BUT RIGHT NOW, ONLY BLACK LIVES ARE BEING TARGETED, JAILED, AND KILLED EN MASSE- SO THAT'S WHO WE'RE FOCUSING ON.

🖤🖤🖤BLACK LIVES MATTER🖤🖤🖤

IF YOU CAN'T SEE THIS, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

GossWhore

VIP Member
Im not sure TBH but I know most black people don't like to be called that today.
No we really don't. It takes me back to a time of evidential racism.

As I said black isn't a dirty term. The skin is the largest organ so you can definitely tell I'm black.

The way I understand it is that there are different types of privilege. Anyone who is white, has white privilege. That doesn't mean they're privileged overall or that their life hasn't been difficult, or that they haven't been discriminated against. There are plenty of other forms of privilege based on religion, sexuality, gender, gender identity etc.

I am white so I have white privilege and have definitely experienced advantages due to that. I still am less privileged in other areas but white privilege is possibly one of the most prevalent at the moment.

Feel free to correct me of course if I'm incorrect.
Correct. Like I'm be honest there were times when I was job hunting I submitted 2 applications. Same education, same work experience etc.

One had a more ethnic name. That one was rejected
One had a more European name. Interview stage.

I phoned their HR and imagine when they tried blaming me for falsifying an application????

First I just want to ask that people read my whole post before maybe jumping me. I have an “issue” with calling it (it -for lack of a better term) “white” privilege.

That is grouping everyone who is “white” together. I’m Eastern European and a Jew and I’m considered “white”.

When we emigrated, as refugees, to America we lived in Detroit. We were poor as shit, on welfare and considered dirt. Our community was Eastern European, Africans, Indians and Turks mostly. We were hated by police and the population alike. We were “dirty immigrants stealing American jobs and their money. “.
And it still happens today esp with Eastern European, Balkan, immigrants and it’s fucked up. That’s the problem though, anyone from a different culture is just that - different.
Having lighter/white skin doesn’t make one immune from people’s prejudices.
To this day (due to 911) anytime I fly I get pulled for extra screening. I’ve asked each time why and they tell me because of my last name. And then they laugh and say I couldn’t be more “white” (dark blond w blue eyes) and they find it somehow amusing. How fucking ignorant is that? It’s just engrained in the culture here.

Being a Jew in Eastern Europe we had our family massacred by the Germans, and our own goddamn countrymen pushed them into the trains gladly. People have fear, genuine fear and even today most of us (Eastern Europeans) don’t let people know we’re Jewish. To this day 99% of people I know don’t know I’m Jewish. I’m just a white woman to them.

I had black woman at work whom I’d tried to discuss racism with, actually tell me right off that “I’m white so have no right to talk” and that is ignorant as hell. She did apologize after, which was great bc we actually spoke and listened to one another.
My point is, that in America (and per this thread and white privilege terms) people assume I have white privilege. I sure as shit have not.
I think if we speak of generational WASPs here in America then yes it’s a fitting term but it’s not right to paint all people (w white or lighter skin) w the same brush.
We all have to watch how we “see others” bc making it a white vs black issue with no grey area is wrong.
Racism, discrimination is such a fucking problem here in the US and we all have to stand up, speak up and do our part to stop it. I think people need to educate themselves and examine their beliefs and thoughts honestly. People need to talk to each other and ask questions and listen; and I mean to actually HEAR what people are saying.
Only then can change truly happen.
Thank for your input. I understand where you are coming from.

And for me with my Jewish allies I feel they can identify well with some aspects of being marginalised and can speak on them i.e. you saying you don't tell people you're Jewish could make me question why and ask how in 2020 we can make people feel uncomfortable for being Jewish, black, Chinese. I have had friends "white-passing" whos other halves don't know they are black due to racism.

As I said white privilege isn't saying your suffering isn't valid, its saying none if it was due to the color of your skin.

Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack points out this like
- I can go shopping alone most of the time and not be followed or harassed
- I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented
- When pulled over by a cop, I don't think of being killed due to my color
- I can chose blemish cover or bandages, spanxs in “flesh” color and have them more or less match my skin.

With regards to the woman you met at work. It's like how I approach white people. You get some who want to talk and some who don't. It's not your job to force them to and it's actually exhausting trying to. But I'm happy you were able to have a conversation with her in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Oh please 🙄

NO ONE has to worry about the nonsense in your second paragraph in the U.K. EVERYONE does in the US. It is a different country. That is my UK privilege, not white.

And yes actually I did learn as a child what to do when a police car wants you to pull over. Oh, the suffering 🙄

No one in the UK is legally knocked back from nightclubs because of their race. Although I’d like to see you trying to get into a black nightclub.

White people are legally excluded from jobs all the time, it’s called positive discrimination. Examples: police, TV presenters, media, medicine degree placements (which lead to being a doctor; then they claim we rely on non-white for the NHS despite us deliberately being excluded). They also specifically limit placements of foreign European (ie, white) students. We are the only race that it’s legal to do this to.

If white people cross the road it’s because we are statistically likely to be victimised. I would rather be the race that has hurt feelings than the race who are targeted for rape and muggings.

Even if the nonsense you wrote was true and applicable in the U.K., I would still take being wary of police and rejected from nightclubs, over being gang raped as a child or tortured to death.
I’m not even going to bother responding to what you’ve just said.

This thread clearly isn’t the place for you. We’re here to support the black lives matter movement and end the racial discrimination they experience every single day.

Go and educate yourself.

• Heart

EiiiEiiiO

First I just want to ask that people read my whole post before maybe jumping me. I have an “issue” with calling it (it -for lack of a better term) “white” privilege.

That is grouping everyone who is “white” together. I’m Eastern European and a Jew and I’m considered “white”.

When we emigrated, as refugees, to America we lived in Detroit. We were poor as shit, on welfare and considered dirt. Our community was Eastern European, Africans, Indians and Turks mostly. We were hated by police and the population alike. We were “dirty immigrants stealing American jobs and their money. “.
And it still happens today esp with Eastern European, Balkan, immigrants and it’s fucked up. That’s the problem though, anyone from a different culture is just that - different.
Having lighter/white skin doesn’t make one immune from people’s prejudices.
To this day (due to 911) anytime I fly I get pulled for extra screening. I’ve asked each time why and they tell me because of my last name. And then they laugh and say I couldn’t be more “white” (dark blond w blue eyes) and they find it somehow amusing. How fucking ignorant is that? It’s just engrained in the culture here.

Being a Jew in Eastern Europe we had our family massacred by the Germans, and our own goddamn countrymen pushed them into the trains gladly. People have fear, genuine fear and even today most of us (Eastern Europeans) don’t let people know we’re Jewish. To this day 99% of people I know don’t know I’m Jewish. I’m just a white woman to them.

I had black woman at work whom I’d tried to discuss racism with, actually tell me right off that “I’m white so have no right to talk” and that is ignorant as hell. She did apologize after, which was great bc we actually spoke and listened to one another.
My point is, that in America (and per this thread and white privilege terms) people assume I have white privilege. I sure as shit have not.
I think if we speak of generational WASPs here in America then yes it’s a fitting term but it’s not right to paint all people (w white or lighter skin) w the same brush.
We all have to watch how we “see others” bc making it a white vs black issue with no grey area is wrong.
Racism, discrimination is such a fucking problem here in the US and we all have to stand up, speak up and do our part to stop it. I think people need to educate themselves and examine their beliefs and thoughts honestly. People need to talk to each other and ask questions and listen; and I mean to actually HEAR what people are saying.
Only then can change truly happen.

• Heart

Appleorange

I feel like a lot of people try to downplay how bad racism is in Britain. I also find that white people often immediately give the benefit of doubt to violent attackers/police, by creating imaginary scenarios. For example ‘But what if the black man did X’ or ‘We don’t know the full story, he could have resisted arrest’. Does resisting handcuffs warrant multiple bullets shot in the head? If your brother or sister was arrested with no reason would you say the same?
We must ask ourselves the question why do we always give the white attacker the benefit of doubt? And why are we so quick to find fault in the actions of the black victim? It is hard to own up to implicit racism, but it must be done. Because to me, it’s even worse than being explicitly racist eg name calling.

Reactions: 17

Strategichamlet

They are all just posting the same stuff, doubt any of them have actually read up on it. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but again it's just something to join in with, trying to let people know they care!! They care about where the next freebee is coming from.

Looking at videos today and it looks like the Nike shops in USA are pretty trashed.

It's just another bandwagon, soon to be forgotten when the next one comes along.
I don’t care if they’ve read up on it or not. Anyone bringing any kind of attention to this is very welcome in my book.

• Heart

If you think racism is a “bandwagon” then you’re part of the problem

• Heart
Racism is most definitely not a "bandwagon". I don't think there is any harm in sharing anything.....with such a big following it's something that can only do good. Its one of those things that if she doesn't say anything then she's oblivious to what is going on around her and if she does then she's just jumping on the "bandwagon"
agreed. I’d rather every shitty instagrammed stop everything and share the BLM ‘bandwagon’ all day long. She has 3M followers and as a white person it is duty (if she wants to be a decent human being) to encourage at least 1% of those 3M to read up and do better. We’re all learning but sharing black voices and this hashtag in this struggle is essential.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Have a look on line, one guy got killed as he was breaking into a FedEx truck, he got caught under its wheels as the driver drove away in fear for his life.
A shop owner trying to protect her property whilst being threatened, whilst others smashed her shop up in front of her, is this what we have become? Is this OK because some are angry?

We now have protests planned for London, hopefully they will remain peaceful, god help us if they turn violent.

To destroy what's around you through looting & fire is never going to be right.

Racism is never right no matter what colour a person is, but what's happening now is not right either.

We are also in the middle of a Pandemic, how many more will die of Covid due to these protests? 😢
Sorry but I’m not sure this thread is the right place for you. We are here to support the protests and give a voice to the movement.

Limetree

@GossWhore thanks so much for that comprehensive post. I really wanted to make a donation to a relevant charity, was having a search around the last couple of days for a Black Lives Matter but that didn’t seem to be a charitable organisation as such.... anyway the Race Equality Foundation is perfect and I’ve just donated.

@EiiiEiiiO I will preface this with an apology as I don’t want to hurt people’s feelings and I can sense some of your pain in your words. And I was going to leave it and not say anything, but then read back about calling stuff out and being brave... but it is not appropriate or acceptable to come in to a conversation about white allyship and the recent crimes perpetrated against black people and dominate the narrative with your explanation of how hard done by you are as a white person. It is the very definition of white fragility and whataboutery. Now some other posters, probably some of them black who have been gently explaining to white people about racism since time began, have had to take time to AGAIN explain to a white woman why she has white privilege. On a thread about being a white ally.
If you have concerns about anti Semitism and xenophobia, start a thread or a discussion forum about it. Do not monopolise this space that a black woman has created to discuss the very urgent emergency that is happening to black people at the moment.

I say this as an Ashkenazi Jew with a very Jewish name who looks so Jewish you can call me Jewy McJewson and everyone would know who you meant. I don’t dismiss your concerns or your upset, but this is not the time or place or moment for anyone white to cry hard done by.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry

Curlyone

@Pinchme stopping and talking has thus far achieved nothing. Peaceful protest has been tried and tested and has thus far achieved nothing. It is very easy to say that rioting will not help the situation but acknowledge that people will not stop until the underlying causes of the violence have been addressed.

I suggest you look into the Stonewall Riots if you need an example of violent demonstrations that have succeeded in bringing about significant change.

• Heart

Coffeetrampbiatch

The whole notion of white privileged is vile. There is no tangible evidence we have privilege and plenty that we have disadvantages.

The victims of Muslim grooming gangs were overwhelmingly white and selected for this reason. These children were called white cunts and white whores while being brutally gang raped. Their skin colour disadvantaged them.

The 70,000 white people who have been tortured to death in South Africa were selected for the colour of their skin.

White people like that Springwatch presenter can get openly sacked for the colour of their skin. No other race suffers that in the U.K.

No other race are not allowed to speak on racial issues that affect them.

No other people fight for other races like white people do. It’s pathetic to see you all wringing your hands and tying your mind in knots to internalise and justify anti-white racial hatred. Then actually feel superior to other white people for doing so. You’re wasting your energy on people who hate you with every fibre of their being and wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire. Not only that but your supporting the destruction and theft of the properties and businesses of completely innocent people. This is just an excuse for “wilding” as they call it.

The reason we don’t feel afraid when arrested is not because of white privilege, but because the police in this country are generally well-trained and not power-tripping maniacs.

The fact is that police in the USA kill far too many people, not just blacks. The only reason it appears that more black people get killed is simply because they are more likely to be arrested in the first place. Studies show police are actually more careful when dealing with black people. You can sneer at All Lives Matter all you like, but there is never media attention when white people are killed by non-white cops. You don’t even know it happens.

They should be peacefully protesting for US police to stop killing in general, and for specific policy changes, rather than just looting and generalised shrieking.
Get the fuck out of here with your racist ass. You want to make claims about white people being killed by non-white cops. Bring me then receipts.
I’m more than willing to learn of genuine incidents.

You speak about South Africa but do you know anything about South Africa’s history ? Or are you cherry picking ?

Racism is a system of oppression. White people have not been systemically oppressed. Educate yourself a little bit by watching documentaries such as the 13th and the Central Park five. But mostly take yourself away from this thread if you aren’t willing to face up to the reality of the situation.

Reactions: 15

Deepsigh2018

VIP Member
I wasn't planning on posting in here but I have been reading and enjoying the conversation and passing on of information its a great thread and I'm glad gosswhore set it up. Its been interesting to see a few racist comments but thankfully they have been called out. I'm glad to see that I don't recognise their usernames so we probably don't frequent the same posts.

If you can see how frustrating it is trying to apply logic and reason towards comments that just brush off everything you say about racism imagine having to deal with that your whole life and being told you are being too sensitive, that someone is using the race card again, that racism is not as bad anymore, that you need to calm down and are being aggressive when you haven't even raised your voice. I could go on but its tiring.

In the past few months (before lockdown) I have been told that the n word is no big deal anymore by a pupil. Explained history to said pupil and he had to have a few lessons on why it is a big deal and why he shouldn't say it. Informed by a colleague I shouldn't make a big deal about it as kids say stupid things and im coming across as being aggressive. I wasn't even annoyed about the situation the child wasn't racist just misguided but he was using racist terminology.

Been asked by quite a lot of people if I have ever thought about putting my natural hair in "braids" or straightening it again.

Stopped to talk to a friend about our sons on a main road. We were both in smart work clothes and I had my youngest in a pushchair. The road is busy as like I said it is a main road, full of traffic and people my friend is asian, im black and a guy comes out of his house to tell us to keep walking or he will call the police! He doesn't own the pavement we were professional mums in our 30s with a toddler in a pushchair talking about what secondary schools we were planning on sending our children to hardly menaces to society.

My brother is constantly looked at with suspicion, followed around stores, asked if he knows where people can buy weed!! and met with questions by our neighbours who have known him his whole life on how he can afford to have such a nice car. (He has a good job as an engineer which he gained after getting a 2.1 degree at university)

These are just a few things that tbh are not even that bad compared to people who are losing their lives for being black or the time I was told someone was going to chop me up and send me back to my own country while I was just minding my own business or even the time someone decided to call my lovely children half breeds in a fake jamaican accent but its constant and up until recently if black people tried to bring it up we were met with comments such as some of the ones that have been posted recently, we would be met with 'well did you know he was a drug dealer' when talking about unjust murders by the police or 'well my life has been hard' when discussing racism and white privlege. I'm happy to also discuss why their life was hard and what were the factors in that but I wouldn't dismiss their points while doing it. I was talking about Islamophobia as some of my friends had experienced it and was met with 'people are just scared, you just never know' by work colleagues.

Over on tik tok so many creators were having their content copied without credit but were told thats just the nature of the app. Sometimes all the small little things are part of a bigger picture.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15