White Allyship

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went online this evening to order Some books, Why I’m no longer talking to white people about race and White Privilege, I only tried ethical sites because it feels disingenuous to order these books on a site that pays little to no tax... they were sold out everywhere !! That fills me with hope, thank you @GossWhore for sharing so freely and taking time to educate, I know that takes so much emotional energy to do but I’m so thankful to have people like you to learn from.

Reactions: 2
In my teens, I had to learn to love myself, my culture and my religion. All throughout my life, I was the "white washed" friend, the friend everyone accepted because I wasn't like the other black, middle eastern, asian people etc. I was not proud to be a second generation here in the UK, I would never like my dad coming to my school on parents evening because I knew as soon as he spoke, people would know we weren't like them. I lived in a very middle class area, my dad did very well for himself especially after coming to this country from nothing. And yet he still speaks broken English even though he has the intellect to learn it properly. He still speaks with an accent, even though he can switch it in the blink of an eye. I would go out of my way to speak for him so he didn't have to, not taking in to account how he might feel. All these things from my childhood came back to haunt me as I grew up and more aware of racism.

I joined twitter in 2011, I was 13. It was my first social media back account then and ever since, It has opened my eyes to all the injustice in the world. Now I walk proudly with my head held high when I speak my 4 home languages in the streets. Now, I let my dad speak. Now, I speak back to him in his first language and IM the one who's struggling and stuttering and never once has he laughed, never once has he spoken over me.

Even though, I am a POC, I was very sheltered growing up. I had to learn about reverse racism, subtle racism, institutionalised racism etc and try to be the change I wanted to see. I have very ambiguous features and tanned skin. I get different ethnicities everyday. But the question I always get is "Where are you from?" I will always reply the UK. But you can guess, the person is never happy with that answer. The question is always asked again but in a different way such as "Where are your parents from?" or a "You know, where are you REALLY from?" . This is subtle racism. You can ask about a persons heritage and culture without implying they are not from where you thought they would be from.

I like to think I'm advocating for people in my daily life. I like to think I challenge people when they say questionable things. I like to think I surround myself with people who educated on the matter and understand their privilege. I like to think my generation will be the change we want to see, Twitter certainly gives me hope for this. If a protest is happening in my city, I will be there in full PPE. Enough is enough. We need to stand together as one. This treatment of black people cannot go on like this, it is inhumane and seeing the way many police officers are responding to these protests only highlights how much power they wield. Why are the American police given so much weaponry? Why do they have so much power in their hands that they have tear gas, tasers, guns, tanks, shields, etc all at their disposal? Yet Doctors/Nurses on the front line fighting Covid cant even get proper face masks never mind full PPE? The fact that these police officers are driving in to crowds of people with NO fear shows how they think they can get away with this BECAUSE THEY HAVE GOT AWAY WITH WORSE BEFORE.

It fills me with hope that people are educating themselves. I'm thankful I'm surrounded by friends who understand their white privilege and are one of the first to voice their outrage both in real life and on their social media platforms.
Seems all my posts on this website turn into essays. I ramble way too much!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thanks for being so patient with me trying to formulate a response. Work got on top of me.

So to answer "What can white allies do on social media and off"?

1. Start conversations with your fellow white people (especially the ones who are not allies yet)
- Don't wait for black people to start the conversation constantly, this is a relay race so we are passing the baton as honestly, we are tired.
- These conversations can be about on current affairs happening within black communities such as George Floyd and grow from there.
- Raise unconscious bias questions such as have you ever questioned being in a room just filled with white people, your interactions with police, your position on dating outside your race, assumptions you have made about other races in the past?
- It is perfectly OK if you have changed your initial stance on these bias, but by starting the conversation with other white people you can make them aware of things they may never have thought to question. (For example, my friend put forward the question for her white followers to note how many other races were in the room at team meetings, something they had never questioned, yet after than initial conversation it made them rethink) - in the current climate, you could alter this as how many other races do you follow on your socials? Some people will be shocked.

2. Embrace the Uncomfortable
- You all saw the interaction here on Tattle when I made a clear point and instead of the responder understanding, a poorly formed Snickers joke was made -- and that is because of white fragility which makes white people uncomfortable so instead of trying to understand - jokes are cracked, the subject is changed, defensive go up, disagreeing without understanding and the final nail "All Lives Matter" is uttered.
- As I said you have to feel uncomfortable because that is a small margin in comparison to what black people deal with.
- Question "why do I feel this way"? - investigate those emotions that make you uncomfortable instead of shutting them down.

2. Unlearn the rhetoric: "I don't see Color"
- Wild right?
- Some white allies I know use to think some of the things they said were socially acceptable, but really they were overtly racist statements e.g. "I don't see color" -- unlearn that.
- Don't be scared to say black because if you have two Debbies are one is black, just say it because you can definitely see her colour and that is a part of her.
- So yes you see color - because if you don't you are not seeing your black friends, family, coworkers and you don't see the unequal infrastructure and injustice.
- Jane Elliot (one of my fav white allies) spoke about this here (I would implore you to watch the whole video, but 9.44 is where she begins the conversation), also check out her experiment called "How Racist Are You" on brown and blue eyes she did in the UK on Channel 4 a few years ago here.

3. Use resources, not just black people
- After unlearning you have to relearn and although it's great to have these conversations, black people are exhausted so we can't always be the go-to. So books, films and Google are great resources.
- As I once said to my friend "you cannot say you are well-read, when every book you read is by a white author"
- Join a book club and bring that book as your choice to discuss further
- By reading and watching various sources, you become less of an echo chamber with similar people, you get an insight into issues you may not have known about or known how to approach
- Learn slowly and intentional, not just for the sake of learning

Some of my recommended are:

Books:
  • The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander
  • Why I am No Longer Talking to White People About Race - Reni Eddo-Lodge
  • The Good Immigrant - Nikesh Shukla
  • Brit(ish) - Afua Hirsch
  • So You Want To Talk About Race - Ijeoma Oluo
  • Natives - Akala
  • Tears We Cannot Stop - Michael Eric Dyson
  • They Can't Kill Us All - Wesley Lowery
  • White Fragility - Robin DiAngelo
  • Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? - Beverly Daniel Tatum
  • White Rage - Carol Anderson
Films
  • When They See Us
  • If Beale Street Could Talk
  • The Hate U Give
  • Dear White People
  • Selma
  • The Color Purple
  • Hidden Figures
- Sidenote: I do not recommend things I have not read or watched myself, so this is a personal list

3. Curate diverse social medias
- This will help keep you informed and out of the echo chamber.
- With diverse, share and comment on these activists posts. Ask questions so you are constantly learning (plus it allows others who may come across the post and have the same question, have a better understanding)
This way you can also help boost the voices of black people and be aware of what is going on when you receive backlash (because trust me you will, not everyone wants a fairer society and you realise that via social media). This will give you a platform to denounce things if you don't racism wins.
- Use your feed to not only like and learn, but speak out, as MLK Jr said "to ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it"

3. Accept your white privilege
- I know many who hate the term, roll their eyes and scoff but its a necessity to accept and acknowledge.
- It also takes a lot of introspectiveness from white people and again can be uncomfortable unpacking these conversations.
- Remember white privilege is not saying you haven't had a hard life or invaliding that, it just notes your skin colour did not add to it
- Use your privilege for good in many of the ways listed in this post - if you have children teach them about this, the younger the better
- If you constantly fight against this, I am sorry but you can never truly be an ally with your eyes shut whilst benefiting from a system that consistently fails black people.

4. Financially help
- There are great organisations out there such as ROTA, Race Equality Foundation, NAACP, Color of Change.
- If that's not possible sign petitions, AND keep the conversation alive. Share it between friends and talk about why you are sharing it.
- As noted, I said not to use black people you know as your go-to Google, but if you have events, workshops, programmes on race and know someone who could contribute and earn from this - ask them. You get to play a part in financially helping and also spreading knowledge.

4. Call them Out!
- That's right - call out your problematic friends, family members etc, "Silence in the face of injustice is complicity with the oppressor"
- Call out your councillors, MPs, Mayors via email, letter - step on their necks and make them feel the pressure!
- To be a good ally, we need to see you doing the work!
- It is no longer enough to say "I'm not racist", you have to show your anti-racism through your actions.

Lastly, this is life long work, and now you can understand why black people are tired. So as a white ally, you need to daily acknowledge your own racial bias and commit to dismantling it within.

This movement cannot be led solely by black people. If we want real change, we need real allyship.

Thanks for reading this, the last couple days have been extremely tough - this really pushed my buttons as my brother was killed due to police brutality (why I left NYC and came back to the UK), but the white allies I had made after has truly shown me change can happen if people are willing to acknowledge and work for it.
Thank you very much for posting this.

It's so difficult to recognise privilege when you're the one benefitting from it. I"m white and I only experience life through my lens, so being reminded that not everyone experiences life the way that I do is eye-opening. Of course sometimes uncomfortable, but we need to face up to these truths without getting defensive if anything is going to change.

I will research the books you have suggested. I have read a few already but more can be read. I'll also continue to educate myself and take more action against racism.

Reactions: 1
I just went on the website of the toy shop in my country they have 3 pages of dolls and all of them are white!!
Are American Girl dolls available in the UK? https://www.americangirl.com/shop/c/dolls

A list of books.

Antiracist resources, inc books for children, articles, videos, books to read, films and tv shows, organisations and a list of what white people can do.

And another.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Wow. Lucy Flight has been posting about BLM and these are her stats. She lost 500 followers in a day!

Screenshot_20200601-033616_Instagram.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 4
@GossWhore thanks so much for that comprehensive post. I really wanted to make a donation to a relevant charity, was having a search around the last couple of days for a Black Lives Matter but that didn’t seem to be a charitable organisation as such.... anyway the Race Equality Foundation is perfect and I’ve just donated.

@EiiiEiiiO I will preface this with an apology as I don’t want to hurt people’s feelings and I can sense some of your pain in your words. And I was going to leave it and not say anything, but then read back about calling stuff out and being brave... but it is not appropriate or acceptable to come in to a conversation about white allyship and the recent crimes perpetrated against black people and dominate the narrative with your explanation of how hard done by you are as a white person. It is the very definition of white fragility and whataboutery. Now some other posters, probably some of them black who have been gently explaining to white people about racism since time began, have had to take time to AGAIN explain to a white woman why she has white privilege. On a thread about being a white ally.
If you have concerns about anti Semitism and xenophobia, start a thread or a discussion forum about it. Do not monopolise this space that a black woman has created to discuss the very urgent emergency that is happening to black people at the moment.

I say this as an Ashkenazi Jew with a very Jewish name who looks so Jewish you can call me Jewy McJewson and everyone would know who you meant. I don’t dismiss your concerns or your upset, but this is not the time or place or moment for anyone white to cry hard done by.
Most of the people here on this thread (hell prob 90%) are in the UK, and don’t realize how deep hatred runs in this country.
The prejudice against blacks, hispanics, muslims, jews, ... on and on and on. I can give example through experience (yes I am white) to try and show how systemic hatred/prejudice it is in this country.
But if you don’t see how the fact that it’s so engrained in america is important, and why until that changes black men will continue to be murdered; you’re kidding yourself.
The cops and regular citizens who murder black men (and have for goddamn decades) are bleeping emboldened and empowered by a society that sees it as us vs them.
And that is what you’re missing, that absolutely nothing will change until this in it of itself changes.
That was my point, but somehow you see it as a white chick crying woe is me.. way off base.

P.S. I don’t know if this happens in the UK but we hold town hall meetings monthly.
We have black, hispanic, Asian community leaders speak to advise us as a community what we can do to help with any issue or concern they want to bring awareness too. Like having us write to our governor , congressmen, set up drives etc.).
Point is that we always have discussions and people give their ideas, concerns, questions and that is key I think. People need to be able to speak up and ask questions and listen and learn.

Last edited:
Those looking for a black doll for their children https://www.argos.co.uk/product/884...Tg5ovwC--ow4bggtG1hoCkLYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think what I’ll do is ensure any new dolls going forward are black until we have a realistic ethnic mix:) although where are the Asian dolls?

I did notice that black dolls are either v expensive (one was £176!!) or met Another “quality” -(google black doll and 3 black dolls with Down syndrome came up) As brilliant and dolls with DS is it feels a bit like ticking as many boxes as you can in one toy.

Those looking for a black doll for their children https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8844440?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=ixwliitxl&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:629-618-1342|cid:9560115721|agid:101739071407|tid:pla-891288516916|crid:422913086544|nw:g|rnd:10648770023125891693|dvc:m|adp:|mt:|loc:9046033&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9560115721&utm_term=8844440&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=101739071407&utm_custom2=629-618-1342&gclid=CjwKCAjwq832BRA5EiwACvCWscU2npgI8dHhVMfeGNPRJinpskugMYTzAgHTg5ovwC--ow4bggtG1hoCkLYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think what I’ll do is ensure any new dolls going forward are black until we have a realistic ethnic mix:) although where are the Asian dolls?

I did notice that black dolls are either v expensive (one was £176!!) or met Another “quality” -(google black doll and 3 black dolls with Down syndrome came up) As brilliant and dolls with DS is it feels a bit like ticking as many boxes as you can in one toy.
In the interest of supporting BAME-owned businesses, does anyone have any recommendations?

I struggled to find a doll for my daughter’s birthday but stumbled across a Spanish company called Miniland. They have boy/girl dolls of different races - black, white, Asian, Latino/a - and aren’t hugely expensive (£16-24 on Amazon, a bit more expensive if you buy through a small business). I like that the dolls have different features rather than the typical using the same moulds with different coloured plastic - the black girl doll also has curly hair. They are anatomically correct. Finally, they have a sweet vanilla smell which doesn’t seem to fade - my daughter’s doll still smells lovely after six months

They’re also one of the companies that produce black Down’s syndrome dolls. It’s worth noting there is also a white version. Personally I don’t think it’s box-ticking in this case - dolls are becoming more diverse but it is still often a case of ‘you can’t have both’. This leaves BAME parents torn between getting a doll that looks like their kid in terms of race OR in terms of disability. Finding a doll that reflects both can mean so much to children and their parents alike

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Those looking for a black doll for their children https://www.argos.co.uk/product/884...Tg5ovwC--ow4bggtG1hoCkLYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don’t know how old your child is but Bratz always have done an amazing job at representation. I played with them as a child and they’re the only dolls I remember showing different cultures and races and having them all be really glamorous. Definitely worth having a look at (or keeping in mind when your child is a little older!)

Reactions: 7
In the interest of supporting BAME-owned businesses, does anyone have any recommendations?

I struggled to find a doll for my daughter’s birthday but stumbled across a Spanish company called Miniland. They have boy/girl dolls of different races - black, white, Asian, Latino/a - and aren’t hugely expensive (£16-24 on Amazon, a bit more expensive if you buy through a small business). I like that the dolls have different features rather than the typical using the same moulds with different coloured plastic - the black girl doll also has curly hair. They are anatomically correct. Finally, they have a sweet vanilla smell which doesn’t seem to fade - my daughter’s doll still smells lovely after six months

They’re also one of the companies that produce black Down’s syndrome dolls. It’s worth noting there is also a white version. Personally I don’t think it’s box-ticking in this case - dolls are becoming more diverse but it is still often a case of ‘you can’t have both’. This leaves BAME parents torn between getting a doll that looks like their kid in terms of race OR in terms of disability. Finding a doll that reflects both can mean so much to children and their parents alike
yes that’s true of course x

I don’t know how old your child is but Bratz always have done an amazing job at representation. I played with them as a child and they’re the only dolls I remember showing different cultures and races and having them all be really glamorous. Definitely worth having a look at (or keeping in mind when your child is a little older!)
Yes I spoke to husband just now and he pointed out she has block LOL dolls. Will keep in mind the bratz

My kids are past the doll stage now but when they were little 10 years ago they had black dolls that were inexpensive from Early Learning Centre (no other ethnicities however). As a child in the 70s I remember asking for and getting a black doll.

Is it the case that things have moved backwards and the dolls are less accessible than they were previously?

I don’t think it’s fair to say this is a “bandwagon”. Some of them may be sharing posts because they would be called out on their silence otherwise but anything bringing awareness and support to the BLM movement is going to be a positive thing in my opinion and not something to criticise.
They are all just posting the same stuff, doubt any of them have actually read up on it. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but again it's just something to join in with, trying to let people know they care!! They care about where the next freebee is coming from.

Looking at videos today and it looks like the Nike shops in USA are pretty trashed.

It's just another bandwagon, soon to be forgotten when the next one comes along.

They are all just posting the same stuff, doubt any of them have actually read up on it. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but again it's just something to join in with, trying to let people know they care!! They care about where the next freebee is coming from.

Looking at videos today and it looks like the Nike shops in USA are pretty trashed.

It's just another bandwagon, soon to be forgotten when the next one comes along.
Racism is most definitely not a "bandwagon". I don't think there is any harm in sharing anything.....with such a big following it's something that can only do good. Its one of those things that if she doesn't say anything then she's oblivious to what is going on around her and if she does then she's just jumping on the "bandwagon"

• Heart
Reactions: 24
This is a really powerful video and breaks it all down so well. I did not know about the Amy Cooper video and am absolutely appalled but sadly not surprised that a white person would do that. (A Black man was birdwatching in an area of Central Park where dogs must be on a leash. Amy's dog was not on a leash and he politely tells her that it needs to be. Amy says: "I am going to call the police and tell them an African American man is threatening my life." And she calls the police and says exactly that. She KNEW what she was doing and used it as a weapon against him. Absolutely vile. Thankfully he filmed the incident on his phone). I also did not know about Emmett Till but just spent some time reading about it. Horrific.e

Its really weird before I thought all stories I read were trickled down to my white friends.

For context the Amy Cooper story happened at 4am UK to time, but 9am all my black friends had messaged me or shared it on social media. Heck even my Dad who hates the internet knew.
But some of my white friends are just finding out about her.

It's like Emmett Till. We all know the story. I never learnt about it in the classroom but I knew it. The photos of him in the casket still burn in my memory.

Racism is most definitely not a "bandwagon". I don't think there is any harm in sharing anything.....with such a big following it's something that can only do good. Its one of those things that if she doesn't say anything then she's oblivious to what is going on around her and if she does then she's just jumping on the "bandwagon"
agreed. I’d rather every crappy instagrammed stop everything and share the BLM ‘bandwagon’ all day long. She has 3M followers and as a white person it is duty (if she wants to be a decent human being) to encourage at least 1% of those 3M to read up and do better. We’re all learning but sharing black voices and this hashtag in this struggle is essential.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I went online this evening to order Some books, Why I’m no longer talking to white people about race and White Privilege, I only tried ethical sites because it feels disingenuous to order these books on a site that pays little to no tax... they were sold out everywhere !! That fills me with hope, thank you @GossWhore for sharing so freely and taking time to educate, I know that takes so much emotional energy to do but I’m so thankful to have people like you to learn from.
The author of Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People about race doesn't want to make a profit from the book and has asked people to find her book for free and donate what they would of spent to black organisations

• Heart
The author of Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People about race doesn't want to make a profit from the book and has asked people to find her book for free and donate what they would of spent to black organisations

Thank you for that link! I was going to buy it but I will do exactly that. ❤

Thank you! I donated to Black Lives Matter yesterday. I got an ereader and will be reading most of the books listed on here. I might not be able to change the world but I can change me.

• Heart
Reactions: 3