White Allyship

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have just seen a video of the New York police department running protestors over, who look to be behind a designated fenced off area. I can’t comprehend how they think that will help them take control of the escalating situation and earn them any respect from the people participating in the protest. My heart hurts, this is so awful. It’s a distressing watch. 🙁

Also this one where police departments are using excessive force, it brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 2
Racism is most definitely not a "bandwagon". I don't think there is any harm in sharing anything.....with such a big following it's something that can only do good. Its one of those things that if she doesn't say anything then she's oblivious to what is going on around her and if she does then she's just jumping on the "bandwagon"
Racism itself is not the bandwagon, but the way they all jump on things like this, because it's seens the thing to do. It was the same with 'be kind'
They will soon move on and it will be forgotten until the next time.

Before we know it they will start rioting here too, as the msm and celebs will keep on about it, it then soon becomes something completely different and tbh it then looses all its credibility, and the message is lost.

Thank you for posting this! I've always been very vocal with my kids about issues like this but I've realised we've not done enough and we've had a lot of discussion in the past few days. We've put a BLM poster in our window next to our rainbow, which I know is only a little thing to do but my 4 year old is very proud of it! We've signed all the petitions we can find and I've ordered some books for us all to read that I found in a list online, but I'll also look into the ones you listed.

My 16 year old wanted to go to one of the protests and I'd probably let him as they're looking very peaceful here and police appear to be also remaining peaceful, but we have 2 people in our house on the verge of being classed as vulnerable so he decided on his own that he'll do what he can from home.

We never did enough but we're working on changing that based on everything that's happened. I'm ashamed that it took an event like this for us to realise that just being against racism isn't enough but we're working hard on improving that!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So let me get this right, you complain if she shows pics of her kids, of her house, if she does any ads, but now you’re also complaining because she’s attempting to use her power to promote anti-racism and awareness? Some people are unbelievable on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
So let me get this right, you complain if she shows pics of her kids, of her house, if she does any ads, but now you’re also complaining because she’s attempting to use her power to promote anti-racism and awareness? Some people are unbelievable on here.
Exactly this 👋🏼

The silence on this thread today has been very eye opening.

Reactions: 7
They are all just posting the same stuff, doubt any of them have actually read up on it. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but again it's just something to join in with, trying to let people know they care!! They care about where the next freebee is coming from.

Looking at videos today and it looks like the Nike shops in USA are pretty trashed.

It's just another bandwagon, soon to be forgotten when the next one comes along.
I don’t care if they’ve read up on it or not. Anyone bringing any kind of attention to this is very welcome in my book.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Is anyone concerned about some of the posts from people on threads. I used to think we were all united in that we liked having a space to share honest opinions about influencers and YouTubers etc. But since last week I’ve seen some worrying comments that are disappointing. People saying that talking about racial issues is “derailing the thread”, that fans are “bullying” influencers into posting, that one Instagram story “is enough” to acknowledge the situation. It’s actually worrying but I’m not sure why I assumed everyone would care about what is going on

Is anyone concerned about some of the posts from people on threads. I used to think we were all united in that we liked having a space to share honest opinions about influencers and YouTubers etc. But since last week I’ve seen some worrying comments that are disappointing. People saying that talking about racial issues is “derailing the thread”, that fans are “bullying” influencers into posting, that one Instagram story “is enough” to acknowledge the situation. It’s actually worrying but I’m not sure why I assumed everyone would care about what is going on
I don't think it is surprising. Too many people are wrapped up in their own bubble. They need to take note of the quote: "privilege is when you think something isn't a problem because it doesn't directly affect you."
Those people have a lot of learning to do.

Reactions: 6
I don't think it is surprising. Too many people are wrapped up in their own bubble. They need to take note of the quote: "privilege is when you think something isn't a problem because it doesn't directly affect you."
Those people have a lot of learning to do.
I think I just assumed that people able to find tattle and have opinions against the norm of influencers etc that people love, would also be able to apply that critical thinking mindset to issues such as these. Sad I guess

• Heart
Reactions: 3
This thread fills me with so much hope and I definitely feel the love for you all as allys, thank you for taking the time to do the work and working towards dismantling racism.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think I just assumed that people able to find tattle and have opinions against the norm of influencers etc that people love, would also be able to apply that critical thinking mindset to issues such as these. Sad I guess
Noticed last couple of days that the way people tattle here is far from polite, so rude sometimes

I just shared a link to the resources about white privilege and antiracism on our neighbourhood page. Someone shared a link to the event for the BLM protests and a white lady commented: "anyone's life matters." And I said, "here is a link to resources on white privilege and antiracism." Now obviously I can't force her to look at it but hopefully, she does and anyone else that sees it.

• Heart
In the interest of supporting BAME-owned businesses, does anyone have any recommendations?

I struggled to find a doll for my daughter’s birthday but stumbled across a Spanish company called Miniland. They have boy/girl dolls of different races - black, white, Asian, Latino/a - and aren’t hugely expensive (£16-24 on Amazon, a bit more expensive if you buy through a small business). I like that the dolls have different features rather than the typical using the same moulds with different coloured plastic - the black girl doll also has curly hair. They are anatomically correct. Finally, they have a sweet vanilla smell which doesn’t seem to fade - my daughter’s doll still smells lovely after six months

They’re also one of the companies that produce black Down’s syndrome dolls. It’s worth noting there is also a white version. Personally I don’t think it’s box-ticking in this case - dolls are becoming more diverse but it is still often a case of ‘you can’t have both’. This leaves BAME parents torn between getting a doll that looks like their kid in terms of race OR in terms of disability. Finding a doll that reflects both can mean so much to children and their parents alike
They sound brilliant! Noting this 😊 my little niece will be getting one in the future (I’d get one for my nephews too but they’d just put it in a fight with iron Man 😂)

Thank you for posting this! I've always been very vocal with my kids about issues like this but I've realised we've not done enough and we've had a lot of discussion in the past few days. We've put a BLM poster in our window next to our rainbow, which I know is only a little thing to do but my 4 year old is very proud of it! We've signed all the petitions we can find and I've ordered some books for us all to read that I found in a list online, but I'll also look into the ones you listed.

My 16 year old wanted to go to one of the protests and I'd probably let him as they're looking very peaceful here and police appear to be also remaining peaceful, but we have 2 people in our house on the verge of being classed as vulnerable so he decided on his own that he'll do what he can from home.

We never did enough but we're working on changing that based on everything that's happened. I'm ashamed that it took an event like this for us to realise that being against racism isn't enough but we're working hard on improving that!
Love that your son is so keen to go, you’re obviously a great parent!
One of my nan’s neighbours has made a bit of a mural on a big board outside his house with the names of black people killed by the police and messages about BLM! 😊 just an idea !

They are all just posting the same stuff, doubt any of them have actually read up on it. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, but again it's just something to join in with, trying to let people know they care!! They care about where the next freebee is coming from.

Looking at videos today and it looks like the Nike shops in USA are pretty trashed.

It's just another bandwagon, soon to be forgotten when the next one comes along.
If you think racism is a “bandwagon” then you’re part of the problem

• Heart
Reactions: 17
If you think racism is a “bandwagon” then you’re part of the problem
I don’t think these influencers can win really. If they post, they’re jumping on a bandwagon and if they don’t post, they will get slated for not using their platforms to address it. I say fair play to anybody who is sharing information on this. Regardless if they have read up on it or not, there’s never a cut off when you can start reading up and wanting to help make a change.

• Heart
Reactions: 8