Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t remember the little boys name and I wish I could, the poor boy was starved by his parents and resorted to stealing food from other children’s lunch at school if I recall correctly. He ended up dying due to the abuse/starvation.

I always always mention it to nasty, snide people who love playground gossip. How many times have we heard of a child stealing out of other children’s lunchboxes and parents do nothing besides tut, witch about it and then turn a blind eye. I’ve always maintained since having my son that if I ever come across a similar situsiton, I promised myself I would invite them over for a hot meal after school. Behaviour like that is either taught or survival. I’d hate to be one of the many ignoring it on assumptions of a bad child. 😔 That baby boy’s suffering has stuck with me for years.

Edit; Daniel Pelka was his name. Recognised him as soon as I saw his sweet face.
I actually said to my partner at the weekend how some people should not be allowed to have children (should be some kind of test) it applies in this case and to the others mentioned of child neglect and abuse.
I was at the park with my little boy sat on the grass eating, there was a man and his 8/9 year old daughter nearby. He was sat smoking and ignoring her, she was just wandering around by him, she came back over to him and she trod on his trainer as she did and he said do it again and I’ll belt you. Made me feel so sad for her and worried what might happen behind closed doors 😢

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
I didn't realise both the perpetrators in the Daniel Pelka case died within 3 years of going into a prison. How strange.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I actually said to my partner at the weekend how some people should not be allowed to have children (should be some kind of test) it applies in this case and to the others mentioned of child neglect and abuse.
I was at the park with my little boy sat on the grass eating, there was a man and his 8/9 year old daughter nearby. He was sat smoking and ignoring her, she was just wandering around by him, she came back over to him and she trod on his trainer as she did and he said do it again and I’ll belt you. Made me feel so sad for her and worried what might happen behind closed doors 😢
That is so worry-some. Minor things like that, that can set someone off, really does make you wonder what happens at home. I wouldn’t think twice if my son stood on my shoe, accidents happen, children trip over their own feet. I could never be so threatening for something so small. It really does terrify me thinking about how scared some children out there are.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
That is so worry-some. Minor things like that, that can set someone off, really does make you wonder what happens at home. I wouldn’t think twice if my son stood on my shoe, accidents happen, children trip over their own feet. I could never be so threatening for something so small. It really does terrify me thinking about how scared some children out there are.
Same. Horrible isn’t it. It definitely wouldn’t have hurt how she did it either. I glanced down to see if they were brand new expensive trainers and they weren’t ....not that that justifies it in anyway but I wondered why he was so aggressive and threatening...sadly it’s probably just normal behaviour.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
The 2004 Madrid Train Bombings always stuck with me, particularly a news interview from either a reporter or rescue worker about the hardest part for him being standing when there were only bodies remaining and just hearing dozens of mobiles ringing constantly for hours.

I was too young to know at the time but the Gare de Lyon Rail Accident (1988) has stuck with me for years since first learning about it - one of the train drivers sacrificed his own life to save dozens of people - you can see the synopsis video here but the whole documentary is worth a watch.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
This thread makes for sad reading, but I’m also touched at how many of us think about so many victims regularly. It’s weirdly nice to think that so many people care about the victims of terrible crimes, and their families, many years after the media coverage stops.

For me, pretty much all stories that stayed with me have been mentioned already. I think sometimes when you’re around the age of the victim/s or you have something in common with them, or your family does, it just hits home a lot more, especially cases you first heard about in childhood.

James Bulger was the first big case I can remember, because it prompted my mum to give my siblings and I a huge talk on staying safe when out and about with her. I remember she went back to using reins (no judgement - it was the early 90s and she had a lot of kids to supervise!) on my younger brother when we were in town for a while. I can remember her being visibly upset by it all - it had such a huge impact on her, which in turn impacted me.

Similarly, Dunblane had a big impact on me because we talked about it a lot at school. I was in year 6 and I remember we had a big assembly about it, generally a lot of children were really fearful and we had to have a lot of assurance.

Another one was Stephen Lawrence, because I think as a white person that was one of my first understanding of racism at some level. I remember asking my mum a lot of questions about the case and asking to read all the news articles in my grandparent’s papers.

In more recent years, I think about Grace Milane a lot. She was murdered by a man who claimed it was consensual rough sex gone too far. I followed the changes in law around the “rough sex defence” with a lot of anger and grief for Grace and the other women who’s murderers got away with their crimes due to this defence. Just horrible.
Grace Millane broke my heart. Similar age and have also online dates like she was, she was just so carefree and enjoying her life, it just hit home. I read an interview with her brother in which he said they played Ed Sheeran 'Photograph' at her funeral and I cannot listen to that song without crying. I will never forget her.

Reactions: 9
I always remember the murder of the young woman Joanna Yeates, I really hoped she would be found and then she was discovered on Boxing Day.

the Tia Malone case was also just as harrowing.

I remember watching the news at work when the news broke about the Philpott family where all the children died and the parents were giving a press conference. I said that it was the parents and everyone was horrified! I was right...

I think a lot about Shannon Matthews and her siblings and where they are now. How did they even begin to recover from what went on, Shannon in particular obviously? As an adoptive parent I can’t imagine the conversation the children’s new families with have had to have with the children over the years to explain why they no longer see their mother. Heartbreaking.

I closely followed the Alton Towers’ Smiler story and think now just how much the lives of those involved were changed forever just by going for a fun day out.

Because of reading this thread I’ve also spent a lot of time thinking of John Edward Jones who died while trapped upside down in a cave. I watched the film (The Last Descent) that depicts the accident and have spent many a moment thinking of how he must have felt completely pinned in that small hole in the dark. Absolutely awful!

After watching Blackfish I often think about Dawn Brancheau who was killed by Tillikum the orca at Seaworld. She must have died an awful death and it was so preventable. As were the other lives taken by Tillikum over the years. If that orca hadn’t been taken from the wild just for the purpose of entertainment, those people could still be alive today.

For a while I got obsessed with reading about accidents in Cirque du Soleil and other circuses - Sarah Guyard-Guillot in Ka particularly sticks out for me. She fell almost 100ft vertically while carrying out a complicated routine and the thought of it terrifies me. Doing something she loved ultimately led to her death and there’s something bittersweet but ultimately tragic about it. The other story I often think about from my delve into the world of circus accidents is The Human Chandelier - 8 performers hanging from their hair fell to the ground when the apparatus they were hanging from collapsed. Thankfully there were no major injuries but it could have been so much worse!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Another one is Geraldine Largay and it's heartbreaking - she was a 66 year old woman who was hiking the Appalachian Trail in America when she wandered off the trail and became lost. They searched for her with rangers, dogs and helicopters for 24 days but couldn't find any sign of her or her belongings. Two years later her remains were found inside her tent where she'd waited for rescue and she had kept a diary for 26 days before dying of starvation/exposure.

The most heartbreaking thing was she was only 0.4 miles (2100 feet) away from the trail but she was so disoriented by how vast the forest was that she couldn't find it and they couldn't find her. The last entry in her diary said 'when you find my body, please call my husband George."

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Another story which horrified me was the Nutty Putty cave story in which a cave diver John Jones got stuck, and the cave became his tomb.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
I think a lot about Shannon Matthews and her siblings and where they are now. How did they even begin to recover from what went on, Shannon in particular obviously? As an adoptive parent I can’t imagine the conversation the children’s new families with have had to have with the children over the years to explain why they no longer see their mother. Heartbreaking.

I closely followed the Alton Towers’ Smiler story and think now just how much the lives of those involved were changed forever just by going for a fun day out.

Because of reading this thread I’ve also spent a lot of time thinking of John Edward Jones who died while trapped upside down in a cave. I watched the film (The Last Descent) that depicts the accident and have spent many a moment thinking of how he must have felt completely pinned in that small hole in the dark. Absolutely awful!

After watching Blackfish I often think about Dawn Brancheau who was killed by Tillikum the orca at Seaworld. She must have died an awful death and it was so preventable. As were the other lives taken by Tillikum over the years. If that orca hadn’t been taken from the wild just for the purpose of entertainment, those people could still be alive today.

For a while I got obsessed with reading about accidents in Cirque du Soleil and other circuses - Sarah Guyard-Guillot in Ka particularly sticks out for me. She fell almost 100ft vertically while carrying out a complicated routine and the thought of it terrifies me. Doing something she loved ultimately led to her death and there’s something bittersweet but ultimately tragic about it. The other story I often think about from my delve into the world of circus accidents is The Human Chandelier - 8 performers hanging from their hair fell to the ground when the apparatus they were hanging from collapsed. Thankfully there were no major injuries but it could have been so much worse!
Oh god, the story of the guy in the cave gives me actual anxiety when I read it. That poor man, what an awful way to die 😢 I also got obsessed with the Blackfish documentary and Dawns death. Awful, another horrible way to die, she stood no chance. So glad they have stopped breeding in captivity now, it was cruel 😢

Another story which horrified me was the Nutty Putty cave story in which a cave diver John Jones got stuck, and the cave became his tomb.
Yes, this has got to be one of the worst stories I’ve ever read 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Does anyone remember the death of warriena Wright? New Zealand girl that met an absolute pig on tinder and ended up falling from his balcony at 14 stories... very suspicious

Reactions: 9

oh my god we are SO alike, didn’t even realise you commented about Nutty Putty Cave and I just did!

Reactions: 2
A mother passed away in her flat, I think from maybe an asthma attack, leaving her non-verbal 4 year old alone by himself. His nursery came round to check on them a couple of times but as there was no response, they assumed they'd gone away and it wasn't taken any further. They were both found a few weeks later and the little boy had died in his mum's arms. Honestly one of the saddest things I've ever read and its stuck with me for years.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
Just read up about it and had a full blown panic attack!! Im claustrophobic and this just frightened me. I can't imagine what he went through

• Sad
A mother passed away in her flat, I think from maybe an asthma attack, leaving her non-verbal 4 year old alone by himself. His nursery came round to check on them a couple of times but as there was no response, they assumed they'd gone away and it wasn't taken any further. They were both found a few weeks later and the little boy had died in his mum's arms. Honestly one of the saddest things I've ever read and its stuck with me for years.
I honestly can't convey the heartache I just felt reading that. Awful. Poor little poppet

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I can’t remember the little boys name and I wish I could, the poor boy was starved by his parents and resorted to stealing food from other children’s lunch at school if I recall correctly. He ended up dying due to the abuse/starvation.

I always always mention it to nasty, snide people who love playground gossip. How many times have we heard of a child stealing out of other children’s lunchboxes and parents do nothing besides tut, witch about it and then turn a blind eye. I’ve always maintained since having my son that if I ever come across a similar situsiton, I promised myself I would invite them over for a hot meal after school. Behaviour like that is either taught or survival. I’d hate to be one of the many ignoring it on assumptions of a bad child. 😔 That baby boy’s suffering has stuck with me for years.

Edit; Daniel Pelka was his name. Recognised him as soon as I saw his sweet face.
I've said before on this thread that this story always makes me sob. It was so avoidable and it makes me so angry that no one was disciplined for not doing their jobs properly. How those teachers didn't see this poor baby was being abused & starved is beyond me. He attended school with bruises on a regular basis and it was never reported. They should be ashamed of themselves & feel guilty for the rest of their lives.

That second story, oh my god. Horrific! Did he say why he did it? Its mentioned in the story had had dinner with them a few weeks before the murders.
Nope, he’s never explained why he did it. He told the police he was sorry that the dad didn’t die. Poor daughter was away at Uni and found out through friends/news. She had to call the police and ask. Horrific!

Another one and apologies if it’s already been discussed here. Did any of you follow Kirsty Maxwell? Recently married Scots lass who died in strange circumstances on a hen doo in Spain. I still maintain those guys whose room she ended up in know more. She didn’t just fall from a balcony, or did trying to get away. I feel for her husband and family as they just don’t know what happened. She was only 27 😢

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.