Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is a random one but always stuck in my head, a woman on holiday in Cyprus drinks what she thinks is a bottle of mineral water in her hotel room but was actually a bottle of cheamicals left by a cleaner. She died ☹
Just found a story about that, how tragic!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
A case I always remember and think about often is the murder of Jill and Kirstie Foster. Christopher Foster shot them both (wife and daughter) then killer their family dogs and horses then burned down their house and killed himself. This happened in 2008 in Shropshire and was covered heavily in the press at the time.

I was the same age as Kirstie at the time and just couldn’t believe that a dad could do something so heinous. It still makes me feel sick thinking about it. Such a terrifying and tragic way to die.

Edit - typo of the date. This happened in 2008.
I listened to a podcast about this recently. Apparently the father used to sexually abuse his little brother 😭

• Sad
  • Wow
I listened to a podcast about this recently. Apparently the father used to sexually abuse his little brother 😭
Urgh, how awful. I read an interview his brother did and he said although the events were horrifying, they didn’t surprise him. He knew his brother had that in him. He was a narcissist and if things weren’t going his way he would do whatever it took to come out looking like it wasn’t his own personal failure. It was such a sad interview.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Also the two year little girl who drowned after being left in a parked car that rolled into a river while the mum popped into visit her partner at work. Such a horrible way to die

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Also the two year little girl who drowned after being left in a parked car that rolled into a river while the mum popped into visit her partner at work. Such a horrible way to die
Hadn't she heard of the Handbrake?

• Angry
  • Sick
Hadn't she heard of the Handbrake?
IIRC she dashed in for some change because her bank card snapped. Thought she'd put the handbrake on. I think it might have been one of the new style push button handbrakes. So easy to forget to do. I think about this every now and then and wonder how she and her husband are. Such an awful thing to happen.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I know there’s always been murders and maybe it’s because we see and read everything so quickly now but years ago if a someone got really badly into debt etc they killed them self (from the supposed shame) now they seem to take out the whole family as well , why???

sorry I don’t think I’ve asked the question very succinctly

Reactions: 5
I always think of the old woman who on the way to the doctors, got off the bus at the wrong stop. She was confused and lost, so just started walking and she just kept walking and walking. Eventually they found her body in a field, she had used her handbag as a pillow and her coat as a blanket and lay down to die. Horrific 😢

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
Has anyone been following the disappearance of Sarah Everard in London?

33 year old woman walking home on Wednesday evening this week and she’s vanished without a trace. Apparently very much out of character. Her route took her over Clapham Common so police have been searching ponds and places like that.

I really hope she’s found well but something feels very sinister about this one. From her family and police statements she wasn’t depressed and had never went awol before etc.

• Sad
Reactions: 17

33 year old woman walking home on Wednesday evening this week and she’s vanished without a trace. Apparently very much out of character. Her route took her over Clapham Common so police have been searching ponds and places like that.

I really hope she’s found well but something feels very sinister about this one. From her family and police statements she wasn’t depressed and had never went awol before etc.
I was going to post something similar on here. I really hope she is found well. Lots of people are commenting on the daily mail and mums net that clapham isn’t a safe place to be wandering around alone at night. Her poor family and friends must be so worried.

Reactions: 5

Yes, as a woman if a similar age in London it’s terrifying. It just doesn’t compute that in this day and age with CCTV and home surveillance that anyone can just vanish anymore, but of course being out on the Common is a different thing. Hoping for her to be found safe and well but in the worst case scenario I hope her family get answers.

Reactions: 7
Yes, as a woman if a similar age in London it’s terrifying. It just doesn’t compute that in this day and age with CCTV and home surveillance that anyone can just vanish anymore, but of course being out on the Common is a different thing. Hoping for her to be found safe and well but in the worst case scenario I hope her family get answers.
I agree, for a place as heavily surveilled as London, it’s ridiculous that someone can just vanish in such a central area. It makes my skin crawl. Really do hope she’s ok, but now on day 4, chances are the outlook is bleak.

Reactions: 3

Margaret Fleming’s disappearance/murder was awful to read about. Nobody saw her in over 17 years whilst the couple her dad trusted to look after her continued to claim benefits in her name. It was only when the benefit system changed that authorities checked in and the couple said she had ran away.

After the couple went to prison the house lay empty for a few years and was demolished in 2020 to build new homes. I absolutely believe that when they dig to lay foundations for the new houses they’re going to find bones.

Its such a strange story that you need to read it to fully make sense of it

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I know there’s always been murders and maybe it’s because we see and read everything so quickly now but years ago if a someone got really badly into debt etc they killed them self (from the supposed shame) now they seem to take out the whole family as well , why???

sorry I don’t think I’ve asked the question very succinctly
I guess if they kill themselves the debt would be passed on to a surviving partner So that’s why they kill them too?

Margaret Fleming’s disappearance/murder was awful to read about. Nobody saw her in over 17 years whilst the couple her dad trusted to look after her continued to claim benefits in her name. It was only when the benefit system changed that authorities checked in and the couple said she had ran away.

After the couple went to prison the house lay empty for a few years and was demolished in 2020 to build new homes. I absolutely believe that when they dig to lay foundations for the new houses they’re going to find bones.

Watching the bbc programme was absolutely heartbroken for her. What she must have had to deal with in the short time she was alive with them. And how they spoke about her so vile.
Poor Margaret 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Watching the bbc programme was absolutely heartbroken for her. What she must have had to deal with in the short time she was alive with them. And how they spoke about her so vile.
Poor Margaret 😔
Absolutely. It’s awful that even things so simple as helping her brush through her hair was so much of an inconvenience for them so they made her have it shaved very short.
Driving past the house/plot of land always gives me chills.

Reactions: 1
Trigger warning? sexual assault
A few years ago there was a young girl in Birmingham I think, who was raped by a taxi driver. She escaped and flagged down another car to help her. When she got in, the driver of that car took her somewhere and also raped her. So awful.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
Trigger warning?
A few years ago there was a young girl in Birmingham I think, who was raped by a taxi driver. She escaped and flagged down another car to help her. When she got in, the driver of that car took her somewhere and also raped her. So awful.
I think possibly saying what the trigger warning is for can be helpful x

Reactions: 2

The BBC had an excellent documentary about the court case and they were actually allowed to film the proceedings. It was intertwined with interviews from witnesses and those who knew Margaret. I always remember the interview with her male schoolfriend who asked her to a dance and her dad turned up at his house to make sure he wasn't taking the mickey (he truly wasn't).

I strongly suspect they buried the poor girl at sea so they'll never find her remains. Didn't the house back onto water? Not sure if it was a loch or out into the sea. Wicked, wicked people.

• Sad
The BBC had an excellent documentary about the court case and they were actually allowed to film the proceedings. It was intertwined with interviews from witnesses and those who knew Margaret. I always remember the interview with her male schoolfriend who asked her to a dance and her dad turned up at his house to make sure he wasn't taking the mickey (he truly wasn't).

I strongly suspect they buried the poor girl at sea so they'll never find her remains. Didn't the house back onto water? Not sure if it was a loch or out into the sea. Wicked, wicked people.
I think I’ve seen snippets of the documentary you’re talking about. Harrowing that originally when the police were told she had ran away that day, they didn’t check the cctv from Skelmorlie the town down the road.

The house was on a nice plot of land that backed onto the Clyde, it’s technically still a river at that section but it’s so close to the sea.

I remember an ex fire fighter who claimed to have smelt burning flesh coming from the garden around the time the police think she was killed. There are just so many horrible little details that crop back into my mind about poor Margaret.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.