Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mark Van Dogen- his story was covered on Seeing Red today. I’ve just been listening to his father’s victim impact statement. While he was in hospital his dad would split his time between working in Belgium and being with Mark in Bristol. He seemed to have so much strength for his boy.
I’ve never heard this story before but I just read the details, that is so so sad. That woman is pure evil.

Reactions: 1
The murder of Kris Donald. I was only young at the time but I remember crying when I read all of the horrific details. I still get a knot in my stomach when I think about it.
I can't begin to imagine his terror. It was scotland's first ever racially motivated murder.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Without a doubt the murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. I was around the same age as them in 2002 and can still remember talking to my friends and parents about it.

Being from Ireland the murder of Jill Meagher was awful. CCTV of her last movements send chills down my spine.

Also, the murder of Karen Buckley in Glasgow was and still is absolutely haunting 💔

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Probably the murder of Sophie Lancaster as I was around the same age at the time. I also remember the whole mosher and chav/townie days where the attacks were unfortunately quite common. Recall seeing the 'murdered for being different' posters just after it happened in a lot of pubs

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Came across the story of Adrian Jones the other day and just can't stop thinking about him. Another child abuse murder where he was tortured & starved then his dead body was fed to pigs. Wtaf is wrong with people?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Without a doubt the murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. I was around the same age as them in 2002 and can still remember talking to my friends and parents about it.
Ah, these were the young girls in their Man Utd tops werent they? Always remember the girls wearing those :( :(

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Came across the story of Adrian Jones the other day and just can't stop thinking about him. Another child abuse murder where he was tortured & starved then his dead body was fed to pigs. Wtaf is wrong with people?
I’ve just read about this. It has made me feel physically sick. That poor boy, it absolutely breaks my heart to think of how he must have felt during that torment. I hope the monsters who did it rot in hell.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
There are actually pictures of him being abused online - his sick parents took them!! 🤮 I have a lump in my throat writing this 😩😩😢💔

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 8

Being from Ireland the murder of Jill Meagher was awful. CCTV of her last movements send chills down my spine.

Also, the murder of Karen Buckley in Glasgow was and still is absolutely haunting 💔
I’d not heard about Karen, so awful and senseless, why?? What he did with her body is awful. Glad he was caught

That’s the saddest story ever, that poor child, to be actually tortured by your parent and step parent, to have the abuse documented in photos and videos, to be abandoned by the your birth mother and grandmother (they could have fought harder for access). There was a guy staying with them for a while who was witness to the abuse and was in the background in some of the videos and he said and did nothing to protect or rescue that poor boy. Heartbreaking

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I remember when my dad told me about this -

The tit for tat for killings of the Troubles in NI are dreadful and numerous.

This one scared me a lot when as my parents talked about it when I was younger. It happened relatively closed to where we lived and they knew one of the victims -
Greysteel massacre - Wikipedia - 3 members of one of the paramilitaries entered a pub shouting 'trick or treat' on Halloween night before opening fire. They killed 8 people.

• Sad
This thread makes for sad reading, but I’m also touched at how many of us think about so many victims regularly. It’s weirdly nice to think that so many people care about the victims of terrible crimes, and their families, many years after the media coverage stops.

For me, pretty much all stories that stayed with me have been mentioned already. I think sometimes when you’re around the age of the victim/s or you have something in common with them, or your family does, it just hits home a lot more, especially cases you first heard about in childhood.

James Bulger was the first big case I can remember, because it prompted my mum to give my siblings and I a huge talk on staying safe when out and about with her. I remember she went back to using reins (no judgement - it was the early 90s and she had a lot of kids to supervise!) on my younger brother when we were in town for a while. I can remember her being visibly upset by it all - it had such a huge impact on her, which in turn impacted me.

Similarly, Dunblane had a big impact on me because we talked about it a lot at school. I was in year 6 and I remember we had a big assembly about it, generally a lot of children were really fearful and we had to have a lot of assurance.

Another one was Stephen Lawrence, because I think as a white person that was one of my first understanding of racism at some level. I remember asking my mum a lot of questions about the case and asking to read all the news articles in my grandparent’s papers.

In more recent years, I think about Grace Milane a lot. She was murdered by a man who claimed it was consensual rough sex gone too far. I followed the changes in law around the “rough sex defence” with a lot of anger and grief for Grace and the other women who’s murderers got away with their crimes due to this defence. Just horrible.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
This thread makes for sad reading, but I’m also touched at how many of us think about so many victims regularly. It’s weirdly nice to think that so many people care about the victims of terrible crimes, and their families, many years after the media coverage stops.

For me, pretty much all stories that stayed with me have been mentioned already. I think sometimes when you’re around the age of the victim/s or you have something in common with them, or your family does, it just hits home a lot more, especially cases you first heard about in childhood.

James Bulger was the first big case I can remember, because it prompted my mum to give my siblings and I a huge talk on staying safe when out and about with her. I remember she went back to using reins (no judgement - it was the early 90s and she had a lot of kids to supervise!) on my younger brother when we were in town for a while. I can remember her being visibly upset by it all - it had such a huge impact on her, which in turn impacted me.

Similarly, Dunblane had a big impact on me because we talked about it a lot at school. I was in year 6 and I remember we had a big assembly about it, generally a lot of children were really fearful and we had to have a lot of assurance.

Another one was Stephen Lawrence, because I think as a white person that was one of my first understanding of racism at some level. I remember asking my mum a lot of questions about the case and asking to read all the news articles in my grandparent’s papers.

In more recent years, I think about Grace Milane a lot. She was murdered by a man who claimed it was consensual rough sex gone too far. I followed the changes in law around the “rough sex defence” with a lot of anger and grief for Grace and the other women who’s murderers got away with their crimes due to this defence. Just horrible.
Yes, very true. I was sad to read that Grace Milan's Dad had died quite recently too.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Lauren Spierer who disappeared in the US about 10 years ago now. We would be the same age so it just really stuck with me, especially as I’m sure the people she was with that night know what happened to her, it’s so sad.

Also the disappearance of MH370..

Reactions: 4
I can never forget the case of Daniel Pelka who was 6 and in the months leading up to his death he was severely beaten and starved by his mum and stepdad. He was so hungry he was caught stealing food from bins at school and apparently looked like a concentration camp victim, but nothing was done. Broke the heart reading about the case and I still get upset thinking about it now 😓
I remember getting really upset at this. My son was around the same age at the time. That poor boy 😔

• Sad
Dunblane - I was 8 years old and in a school within 10 miles of Dunblane. I remember my
Mum and aunties being really upset and watching the news. Years later my mother ended up working with 2 people who lost kids in Dunblane (different jobs but we live locally) so heartbreaking 😢

Any attempt to make guns more accessible in U.K. should (in my view) be resisted.

The other story that horrified me was the murder of mother and son Tracey and Piers Wilkinson in Stourbridge. Their family had taken in a homeless lad and helped him. He went back on drugs and they had to cut ties. He waited in their shed overnight, waiting for the dad to walk the dog early morning. He then snuck in and stabbed the mother and son to death in their bedrooms. Dad arrived home to find them dead and he tried to murder him as well. They released the CCTV of him creeping out the shed and it is chilling. Absolutely horrific snd I feel so heart sorry for the husband and their daughter. Barbaric. He had his sentence increased to 35 years.

Forgive the link to the Mirror but the CCTV of him crawling about in the dark during the night hiding is here. Absolute psychopath.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Dunblane - I was 8 years old and in a school within 10 miles of Dunblane. I remember my
Mum and aunties being really upset and watching the news. Years later my mother ended up working with 2 people who lost kids in Dunblane (different jobs but we live locally) so heartbreaking 😢

Any attempt to make guns more accessible in U.K. should (in my view) be resisted.

The other story that horrified me was the murder of mother and son Tracey and Piers Wilkinson in Stourbridge. Their family had taken in a homeless lad and helped him. He went back on drugs and they had to cut ties. He waited in their shed overnight, waiting for the dad to walk the dog early morning. He then snuck in and stabbed the mother and son to death in their bedrooms. Dad arrived home to find them dead and he tried to murder him as well. They released the CCTV of him creeping out the shed and it is chilling. Absolutely horrific snd I feel so heart sorry for the husband and their daughter. Barbaric. He had his sentence increased to 35 years.

Forgive the link to the Mirror but the CCTV of him crawling about in the dark during the night hiding is here. Absolute psychopath.

That second story, oh my god. Horrific! Did he say why he did it? Its mentioned in the story had had dinner with them a few weeks before the murders.

I can’t remember the little boys name and I wish I could, the poor boy was starved by his parents and resorted to stealing food from other children’s lunch at school if I recall correctly. He ended up dying due to the abuse/starvation.

I always always mention it to nasty, snide people who love playground gossip. How many times have we heard of a child stealing out of other children’s lunchboxes and parents do nothing besides tut, witch about it and then turn a blind eye. I’ve always maintained since having my son that if I ever come across a similar situsiton, I promised myself I would invite them over for a hot meal after school. Behaviour like that is either taught or survival. I’d hate to be one of the many ignoring it on assumptions of a bad child. 😔 That baby boy’s suffering has stuck with me for years.

Edit; Daniel Pelka was his name. Recognised him as soon as I saw his sweet face.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18

This one was awful im not too far from Stourbridge and remember it all over the news

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.