Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m sure this has been mentioned a lot of times but - Claudia Lawrence, I just can’t believe she has never been found after all this time

I’ve just read her Dad passed away on Thursday never knowing what happened to his daughter it breaks my heart

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
I just saw the news about Claudia Lawrence's father passing too and am so sorry for him. He never gave up and showed such dignity and courage even when the media were writing all sorts of vile things about his daughter that they never should have been allowed to print because it so clearly harmed the investigation and public response.

I still think about Claudia's case quite a bit and fear we'll never know what happened there.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I just saw the news about Claudia Lawrence's father passing too and am so sorry for him. He never gave up and showed such dignity and courage even when the media were writing all sorts of vile things about his daughter that they never should have been allowed to print because it so clearly harmed the investigation and public response.

I still think about Claudia's case quite a bit and fear we'll never know what happened there.
Really sad

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I'd not seen the news about Claudia's father. That is so sad, it reminds me of another case which was local to me, that of Andrew Gosden who caught a train to King's Cross and was never seen again. Its heartbreaking to see his parents on the local news every now and again.

Most of the ones that spring to mind have already been mentioned. I was reading a few stories about 9/11 today, I don't think we will ever experience anything of that magnitude again.

One that a lot of people might not know about is 'Las Niñas de Alcásser' (the Alcásser girls). Having lived in Spain it's one of those stories that shocked the nation and is particularly harrowing.

Also the missing boy of Somosierra is very interesting.

Reactions: 8
Around 12-15 years ago I'd say, a young guy got chatting to a pretty girl on a train, but never got her details. So he drew a picture of what he remembered of her face, and set up a campaign to try and find her. He went on GMTV to talk about it. I remember at the time, a few people said he should drop it and leave her alone as she might have a boyfriend, or was just being friendly. I never found out if he found her though!

Reactions: 2
One that has always stuck with me is the 2007 disappearance of Andrew Gosden, the teenager from Doncaster who skipped school one day to get the train to London and was never seen again. It blows my mind that he could just vanish into thin air with no leads. I remember reading an interview years later where his dad said the family couldn’t bring themselves to move house just in case he ever came home, because when he disappeared he had his key with him. Heartbreaking.
I remember seeing him on a missing persons appeal advert before a school trip to london and he looked much like my brother at the time, i relent asking everyone to look out for him. it really made me sob the thought he was just out there alone, hungry? Cold? Now I’m a mother, this story still bothers me. There’s something agonising about a person vanishing much like Damien knettles/nettles... that blows my mind too.

Another one that gets me is kenneka Jenkins, there’s loads of conspiracies around what happened to her - videos came out of her “friend “ on live before kenneka was found, you can faintly hear someone saying stop or something and then music getting louder. I mean, that’s a conspiracy and still up for interpretation I guess. Check out Stephanie Harlowe: coffee and crime videos on YouTube!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Just had a sudden memory of a heartbreaking news story about a man who was the victim of an acid attack (I think it was something to do with his ex girlfriend). There was video footage of the actual attack and it would later became really haunting; a few years later he won the right to die via assisted suicide. He was only in his 20s/30s I believe.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
The murders of Ben & Catherine Mullally in Antigua is so sad
We had just booked our honeymoon in Antigua for 2010 and this resort was just across from ours.
Another honeymoon tragedy is that of Michaela McAreavy who was murdered in Mauritius. Her new husband found her dead in the bath in their hotel suite. No one has ever been caught for her murder.

• Sad
I remember Ken Bigley's murder being a huge thing in 2004.

Somebody from my class in Secondary School claimed that he had watched the execution video.

Reactions: 4
Saffie Roussos dying in the Arianna terrorist attack. I remember painting and watching the news praying she'd be found safe. I absolutely sobbed when it was confirmed she'd died
The Ariana attack will always stick with me. My son was born a few days earlier and I was up cluster feeding when my cousin texted me saying that they were stuck in the venue as a speaker blew up. I checked Twitter and it was confirmed, and then she texted saying it was a bomb. I felt sick. Still now it makes my blood run cold.

Someone mentioned here about Andrew Gosden, I follow that case a lot. He just vanished. There’s a missing person podcast which discussed the case and his Dad was interviewed. His Dad attempted to take his own life after the police accused him and his wife of driving Andrew away. I remember I was driving to work listening and I had tears streaming down my face.

Have just read the 2 stories of Suzanne Capper and Junko Furata. Omg...absolutely horrific! Those poor poor girls 😢 I can't even imagine the agony they must have been in. And some of the perpetrators are free! They should have been jailed for life & the key thown away.
So much evil in the world 😡
Wasn’t the Susan Capper case the one around the same time as James Bulgar? Wasn’t she alive when the paramedics found her and she was able to tell them who did it?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Wasn’t the Susan Capper case the one around the same time as James Bulgar? Wasn’t she alive when the paramedics found her and she was able to tell them who did it?
I only read about this case the other day after seeing it mentioned here but yeah that’s right. Glad they got the people who did it (although I think some of them are out now?) but it was absolutely horrific and so sad that she died.

I only read about this case the other day after seeing it mentioned here but yeah that’s right. Glad they got the people who did it (although I think some of them are out now?) but it was absolutely horrific and so sad that she died.
I read the Wiki and it still tears me up that she had all the strength to tell the police who did it, but then passed.

Reactions: 5
I remember Ken Bigley's murder being a huge thing in 2004.

Somebody from my class in Secondary School claimed that he had watched the execution video.
I saw that video unfortunately. It was horrific. It haunted me for days. Partly because I didn't realise what I was watching until it was too late. It wasn't labelled as what it was and was slotted in between benign footage (possibly even humorous jackass style stuff from what I remember), so it just suddenly flicked onto it.

• Sad
  • Wow
I’m sure this has been mentioned a lot of times but - Claudia Lawrence, I just can’t believe she has never been found after all this time

I’ve just read her Dad passed away on Thursday never knowing what happened to his daughter it breaks my heart
There is a programme on now on Channel 5 concerning her disappearance. It is a repeat, but I do believe it is in memory of her Father who recently passed away. Poor man, he never got closure over what happened to his daughter. 😢 Bloody tragic.

I do believe that she was murdered and the person who did it is being protected by someone else.

This one really upset me. I feel guilty sharing it, because it is very upsetting. It's not gory, but desperately sad.

I have just read this. Poor woman, what a dreadful way to die. This is very sad.

Last edited:
Around 12-15 years ago I'd say, a young guy got chatting to a pretty girl on a train, but never got her details. So he drew a picture of what he remembered of her face, and set up a campaign to try and find her. He went on GMTV to talk about it. I remember at the time, a few people said he should drop it and leave her alone as she might have a boyfriend, or was just being friendly. I never found out if he found her though!
I'm pretty sure this was a big joke. The guy ended up becoming quite a successful and I think it was just his wynif getting his foot in the door, he was in the papers a few times doing similar 'pranks'

Reactions: 1
I'm pretty sure this was a big joke. The guy ended up becoming quite a successful and I think it was just his wynif getting his foot in the door, he was in the papers a few times doing similar 'pranks'
I agree, I read about it again after I posted about it, and it seemed fake.

Just had a sudden memory of a heartbreaking news story about a man who was the victim of an acid attack (I think it was something to do with his ex girlfriend). There was video footage of the actual attack and it would later became really haunting; a few years later he won the right to die via assisted suicide. He was only in his 20s/30s I believe.
Mark Van Dogen- his story was covered on Seeing Red today. I’ve just been listening to his father’s victim impact statement. While he was in hospital his dad would split his time between working in Belgium and being with Mark in Bristol. He seemed to have so much strength for his boy.

Mark Van Dogen- his story was covered on Seeing Red today. I’ve just been listening to his father’s victim impact statement. While he was in hospital his dad would split his time between working in Belgium and being with Mark in Bristol. He seemed to have so much strength for his boy.
That’s him! I read a few articles about it not long after I made that post, my heart broke all over again. I can’t even imagine what Mark went through, hopefully his dad can take comfort now he’s no longer in pain. You’re right, his love and strength for his son was abundant.

I listened to this today too, absolutely dreadful thing to do. I felt so reliever they allowed the assisted suicide, what that man went through is unbelievable and his poor Dad.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.