Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nope, he’s never explained why he did it. He told the police he was sorry that the dad didn’t die. Poor daughter was away at Uni and found out through friends/news. She had to call the police and ask. Horrific!

Another one and apologies if it’s already been discussed here. Did any of you follow Kirsty Maxwell? Recently married Scots lass who died in strange circumstances on a hen doo in Spain. I still maintain those guys whose room she ended up in know more. She didn’t just fall from a balcony, or did trying to get away. I feel for her husband and family as they just don’t know what happened. She was only 27 😢
was she from Nottingham or the blokes were?

Reactions: 2
John Edward Jones upset me for a long time afterwards and will always stay with me. I couldn't watch the film. I watched the video where they attempted to rescue him, and just NO! 😥

was she from Nottingham or the blokes were?
She was from Scotland, I’m not sure where the group of guys were from. I think they were English but not sure if they were from Nottingham.

John Edward Jones upset me for a long time afterwards and will always stay with me. I couldn't watch the film. I watched the video where they attempted to rescue him, and just NO! 😥
I hadn’t heard of this! Just read about it and wow. That is so horrid. Absolutely no way I’m watching that rescue attempt video. No way! 😭

Last edited:
Same. Horrible isn’t it. It definitely wouldn’t have hurt how she did it either. I glanced down to see if they were brand new expensive trainers and they weren’t ....not that that justifies it in anyway but I wondered why he was so aggressive and threatening...sadly it’s probably just normal behaviour.
Maybe it's a game, when my wife's nieces were about 6/7 they used to poke me in the back or stomach or stand on my feet, I used to say if you do that again I am going to hug you so hard you will remember it for the rest of your life.

Of course they did it again, my wife says they just wanted a bit of attention.

Air France Flight 447 from Rio de Janeiro to Charles de Gaulle. Something about that just got lodged in my head and I followed it for weeks.

The Utøya shootings also. I distinctly remember seeing the aerial footage of people swimming away trying to get to safety and feeling sick to my stomach over it.

A more recent one is the Notre Dame fire in Paris. We were sat in a restaurant in Dubrovnik but couldn’t help being glued to our phones watching live news. There’s something about seeing a cultural icon or monument being destroyed that feels very sad.

Reactions: 1
There was one from a couple years ago about a 14yr old girl who was murdered in a wolverhampton Park. She had arranged to meet a boy. The stuff that happened was horrific

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Dunblane, again because I grew up not far from when it happened and was in P6 at the time. My mum also taught P1 at that time and her classroom was right next to the main entrance, where anyone could walk in. I remember begging my mum not to go to work the next day. And I also remember a news reporter live on ITV breaking down in tears.

There was a report on asylum seekers crossing into Europe via water (can't quite remember whereabours). One woman recounted her experience which involved her toddler who wouldn't stop crying on the trip. So one of the bastard smugglers threw him overboard into the sea. It was about the time I had just had my eldest and I was crying so hard that I had to pass him to his dad and go calm down in the toilet. Still think about that woman and that poor wee boy. We don't know the half of it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
One that’s just popped back in my head from a few years ago is the teenager who killed his girlfriend “for a free breakfast” from his mate. If I remember rightly he smashed her skull with a rock and even described the moment her skull gave way. Absolutely sickening really.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
One that’s just popped back in my head from a few years ago is the teenager who killed his girlfriend “for a free breakfast” from his mate. If I remember rightly he smashed her skull with a rock and even described the moment her skull gave way. Absolutely sickening really.
Rebecca Aylward 😔 He convinced her he wanted to get back together, she spent hours getting ready, only for him to lead her to the woods and murder her. He tried snapping her neck but said it’s “harder than it looks” so instead smashed her skull with a rock. Awful case. He had been telling friends for weeks, it was only when he took a friend to her body to brag the friend caved and told police.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
This one warrants a big trigger warning for suicide and it's a very dark story of a very, very horrible man.

I can't remember which podcast I heard it on first but the story of William Melchert-Dinkel really bothered me (and still does) and it's been on my mind a lot over the past few days. He was an American nurse in his 40s who went onto internet chat rooms and forums based around depression/suicide and pretended to be a depressed woman in her twenties. He would then 'befriend' users and convince them to join a suicide pact with him, giving them specific instructions of how he wanted them to do it and then watching them through a webcam, promising to kill himself after and saying that, as a nurse, he had to watch them first to make sure they died. Some of his victims he groomed for several months beforehand until they agreed.

He was convicted of the deaths of an 18 year old Canadian woman and a 32 year old English man but the conviction was found to be unconstitutional. He was retried and in total served 178 days in jail and 10 years of probation. He claims to have had five victims but police believe the number was up to 50.

He truly is an utterly evil person.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
The Falklands War, 1982
The Berlin Wall coming down in 1989
Amoco Cadiz oil spill 1978
Union Carbide Gas Leak 1984
Soham Murders, 2002
Tsunami Disaster, Thailand 2004
Derrick Bird mass murders,2010

All of them pretty grim reading, but still stick in my mind for all the wrong reasons

Reactions: 4
The Falklands War, 1982
The Berlin Wall coming down in 1989
Amoco Cadiz oil spill 1978
Union Carbide Gas Leak 1984
Soham Murders, 2002
Tsunami Disaster, Thailand 2004
Derrick Bird mass murders,2010

All of them pretty grim reading, but still stick in my mind for all the wrong reasons
Oh yes the Derrick Bird murders - I live in the same region as it happened. I remember watching daytime TV and a warning flashing up over the top of it to say people in the area needed to stay indoors. I instantly googled how far it was away to see if I was in any danger. It was terrifying to know how random it all was and my heart just went out to all those who got caught up in it.

Similarly, the situation with Raoul Moat happened all so close to home that it was incredibly scary. The first incident with his ex and her boyfriend happened a few streets down from my brother’s girlfriend’s house. Then when he was on the run, the school I worked in went into lockdown as Moat had contacts living in close proximity to the school and the police felt there was a high risk to the school. The roundabout where he shot the policeman is just down from my in-laws’ house and by complete coincidence my dad had driven over the roundabout no more than 5 minutes before Moat was there. When he was found hiding in Rothbury, the media were congregating in my mother-in-law’s friend’s garden to get their footage. Me and my brother sat glued to the news as it all played out for hours and hours as it was so weird seeing places we knew plastered all over the screen and thinking how close the story was to us and people we knew.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
A case I always remember and think about often is the murder of Jill and Kirstie Foster. Christopher Foster shot them both (wife and daughter) then killer their family dogs and horses then burned down their house and killed himself. This happened in 2008 in Shropshire and was covered heavily in the press at the time.

I was the same age as Kirstie at the time and just couldn’t believe that a dad could do something so heinous. It still makes me feel sick thinking about it. Such a terrifying and tragic way to die.

Edit - typo of the date. This happened in 2008.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
A case I always remember and think about often is the murder of Jill and Kirstie Foster. Christopher Foster shot them both (wife and daughter) then killer their family dogs and horses then burned down their house and killed himself. This happened in 2005 in Shropshire and was covered heavily in the press at the time.

I was the same age as Kirstie at the time and just couldn’t believe that a dad could do something so heinous. It still makes me feel sick thinking about it. Such a terrifying and tragic way to die.
Oh my god, I remember this! Awful. Did they live in a big farmhouse type of place?

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Oh my god, I remember this! Awful. Did they live in a big farmhouse type of place?
Yes, they lived in a £1.2m mansion. That was the “reason” for their murder - because he had debt and couldn’t bear the idea of people thinking he was a failure. 😣 Such a tragic and horrendous waste of life.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Yes, they lived in a £1.2m mansion. That was the “reason” for their murder - because he had debt and couldn’t bear the idea of people thinking he was a failure. 😣 Such a tragic and horrendous waste of life.
Oh god, how absolutely awful 😢

• Heart
Yes they did. I think he killed their dogs and quite possibly horses too. I remember something about animals in one of the barns/outbuildings.

ETA: This was one of the cases that formed part of the research I mentioned earlier.

• Sad
The case that sticks with me is April Jones. I grew up nearby to where it happened, and I remember the fear in the community when she got taken. Such a tragic case, in interviews with her dad your heart just breaks for him. Someone who knew the family took her, and they never found her body. Just skull fragments in his fireplace confirmed to be hers. So sad

• Sad
Reactions: 11
A case I always remember and think about often is the murder of Jill and Kirstie Foster. Christopher Foster shot them both (wife and daughter) then killer their family dogs and horses then burned down their house and killed himself. This happened in 2008 in Shropshire and was covered heavily in the press at the time.

Edit - typo of the date. This happened in 2008.
I remember this, it was so sad

This is a random one but always stuck in my head, a woman on holiday in Cyprus drinks what she thinks is a bottle of mineral water in her hotel room but was actually a bottle of cheamicals left by a cleaner. She died ☹

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.