Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A few years ago a boy was chasing Pokemon at Aberdeen beach and got into difficulty. His mum tried to save him and sadly they both drowned. A son/brother was also there and saw it happen 😔.

Other ones for me are Lockerbie (I was 8-ish but I remember the news flash coming on), 9/11 and Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman ❤
I can remember the news flash (border)for Lockerbie, they first thought a military aircraft had come down , they then came on and asked for any off duty nurses and doctors to come into back into work, there was later a shot of the staff at one hospital waiting for all the casualties to start arriving but they never came

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Sarah Payne and the Soham murders as I was a similar age to them when it happened.
I also have a vivid memory of a programme being interrupted by a news bulletin of the queen mother passing away.

Reactions: 3
This is such a sad thread. Most of these were such horrific deaths, disappearances, murders. Makes me think of how unbearably hard life must be for the family members who were left behind grieving 😢
It is a sad thread. They are all tragedies. I don't think I can remember any news stories that have been happy.

Reactions: 2
The only happy news story that sticks with me (from memory) is the Thai cave rescue. Amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It is a sad thread. They are all tragedies. I don't think I can remember any news stories that have been happy.
It is terribly sad. However the Chilean miners one is a positive news story, it seemed quite bleak at first but then they were all rescued.

Reactions: 9
The Soham murders, I grew up in Cambridgeshire so it was particularly close to home for me. Also James Bulger due to the sheer brutality of it and that Jon Venables keeps re-offending.

Also the murder of Kelly Anne Bates. She was tortured four weeks before her death and her partner gauged her eyes out three weeks before her death. I think prosecutors commented that "death must have come as a merciful end for her" and the sheer misery she must have felt is so awful.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
Mine is the terrorist attack on Westminster bridge. I have a photo of my little boy at one of the sets of steps of the bridge a week before it happened. The back ground of the photo is where the car drove along. The thought of being there a week later with him makes me panic so much.

Holly and Jessica as well. It was the first I’d ever heard of something like this happening. Their poor parents.

Another is Grenfell, We drove past a few months after and seeing the building stood there I can’t even begin to imagine how the people felt trapped inside or the emergency services turning up to the scene.

The John List case in the States,murdered his wife,mum,three kids.Left em all lined up in the ballroom of his big house,then pissed off,caught 20 odd years later,a nasty religious bigot.Caught via a caste made of his face by Forensics.One very weird man.He had complete new profile but he seemed same type of man,religious nutcase.Very weird man.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
The John List case in the States,murdered his wife,mum,three kids.Left em all lined up in the ballroom of his big house,then pissed off,caught 20 odd years later,a nasty religious bigot.Caught via a caste made of his face by Forensics.One very weird man.He had complete new profile but he seemed same type of man,religious nutcase.Very weird man.
Very strange story. If I remember correctly it was to do with money problems. But he never realised he had Tiffany glass worth £££ in the ballroom.

The death of a child genius who apparently killed himself after working out scientifically that there was no purpose to life - I found this very haunting

The Helen Bailey murder, incredibly sad, I read her blog and had enjoyed her books when I was a teenager

I can't remember the name but the murder of a Chinese woman who worked at a Thorntons factory by a co-worker obsessed with her. The media reports of her death and the photos printed in the news were very objectifying - many of them deliberately chosen to show how small she was next to her white British husband and by implication the killer as well. I'm of Chinese descent and seeing this in the news turned my stomach, I've met more than enough creepy white men in my time and I HATE stereotypes of all East or South East Asian women as fragile, beautiful little flowers

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
@witchofwestbyfleet oh god, Helen Bailey. Her murder broke me. I spent weeks reading her blog after news of her murder was in the press. She seemed like such a smart, vibrant, loving woman. Her end is bone chilling.

Also, the chilling murder of Sadie Hartley. Devastating what happened to her and such a brutal and lonely death.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Has anybody seen this? FFS only eight and half years she served,hope she never lives in peace.🤬
this monster literally Only did a sentence of 1.5 years for each child. That amount of time for each child. No justice was done for them, poor innocent babies.

Sure IT will have a new identity & be moved away somewhere new.

I generally could have cried reading about it at work the other of the shortened sentence

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
The Soham murders, I grew up in Cambridgeshire so it was particularly close to home for me. Also James Bulger due to the sheer brutality of it and that Jon Venables keeps re-offending.

Also the murder of Kelly Anne Bates. She was tortured four weeks before her death and her partner gauged her eyes out three weeks before her death. I think prosecutors commented that "death must have come as a merciful end for her" and the sheer misery she must have felt is so awful.
The Soham murders was shocking. I wonder what made Maxine Carr lie. She thought she’d lose her job?! She did and a lot more. I wonder if she just couldn’t comprehend the enormity of what had happened. I always got the impression she was a bit slow and very impressionable. Does excise what she did in any way.

Poor Kelly Anne how she must have suffered. Sure it was over a 150 injuries including gouging out her eyes which I remember reading must have happened anywhere between 1-3 weeks before she died. Her brother went round and was told she was out. It really upset me her case as she must have suffered so badly and for people who cared about her to live with knowing that x

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
The Soham murders was shocking. I wonder what made Maxine Carr lie. She thought she’d lose her job?! She did and a lot more. I wonder if she just couldn’t comprehend the enormity of what had happened. I always got the impression she was a bit slow and very impressionable. Does excise what she did in any way.

Poor Kelly Anne how she must have suffered. Sure it was over a 150 injuries including gouging out her eyes which I remember reading must have happened anywhere between 1-3 weeks before she died. Her brother went round and was told she was out. It really upset me her case as she must have suffered so badly and for people who cared about her to live with knowing that x
I agree that she seemed quite impressionable. I also think Huntley was abusive which was the driver behind a lot of her choices. There's a couple of cases where I think the women involved are also victims of the perpetrator. Even though their actions seem beyond reproach there is often a lengthy history of serious abuse and coercion. It's an area I've done a fair bit of research in and it's very complicated to unpick. In a similar vein are family annihilators. There are at least four different types. I found it quite interesting to look into.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I agree that she seemed quite impressionable. I also think Huntley was abusive which was the driver behind a lot of her choices. There's a couple of cases where I think the women involved are also victims of the perpetrator. Even though their actions seem beyond reproach there is often a lengthy history of serious abuse and coercion. It's an area I've done a fair bit of research in and it's very complicated to unpick. In a similar vein are family annihilators. There are at least four different types. I found it quite interesting to look into.
I think so too. I read an interview with a prison Governor and she said the vast majority of women in prison were there from their dealings with men. That can't excuse what they did though. Very complicated, as you say.

• Sad
I can imagine it’s a really interesting topic to research. There was more to the story than we will ever know. I think she is a very different kettle of fish to the likes of Mira Hindley or Rose West. I wonder what she is up to now and having to live with her actions.

Reactions: 5
I can imagine it’s a really interesting topic to research. There was more to the story than we will ever know. I think she is a very different kettle of fish to the likes of Mira Hindley or Rose West. I wonder what she is up to now and having to live with her actions.
Yes - and let's not forget she could have been really really thick too.

I think she's married with a child now. Goodness knows where I read that though, probably on a site like Tattle!

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.