Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another one is the story of Kirsty Grabham who was murdered by her husband in 2009. He strangled and battered her, tried to cut her in half, put her body in a suitcase and threw it on to the side of the m4. Police stated they think she may have still been alive when in the suitcase because when her body was found 10 days later, she was still warm. Rigor mortis hadn't even set in. Her sister later drank herself to death as she was so traumatised. Poor family.

Local stories always stay with me more. Tracy Woodford who was murdered by a man she met in a local pub, went home with him, was reported missing by her family. Police found her arms and legs in his shower cubicle in his flat, her fingers were in her handbag and he'd put her head in a drain at the local football club. Disgusting. I wonder how any police officer can ever sleep again after seeing scenes such as this.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
In Glasgow we've had 3 tradegies happen near Christmas time.

One was the police helicopter that crashed into a pub. The Anniversary was on Sunday. We'd been putting Christmas decorations up in the centre I work in and the helicopter passed over my head at 8.30pm when I was waiting for my bus. Quite a few people in Glasgow saw it hit the Clutha. It's so near the river - who knows if the pilot was trying to ditch there to save lives.

A week before Christmas 2010, a guy crashed into 2 students waiting at traffic lights. Both girls died. Turned put he'd had medical issues and hadn't disclosed them. Apparently he'd passed out 6 times before. He never faced trial.

4 years later, a guy driving a bin lorry killed 6 people including a girl and her grandparents. The pictures of her poor mum at their funeral still sticks with me.

Again he had medical issues he didn't disclose and didn't face trial. He'd passed out driving a bus! He was banned from driving on medical grounds and was seen driving his car!

At the enquiry, the other men in the lorry seemed more affected by the crash than the driver was.

Both of these men literally walked away from these crashes without a scratch on them but have left a lifetime of hurt for their victims families.
I live in Scotland too just outside of Glasgow and these really stuck with me, I think because I have been near these places so many times it really hits home, even now if I am in town at queen street I think about those poor people who were affected by the bin lorry crash. I will also never forget waking up the morning after the helicopter crash and reading about it in the paper.

Another Scottish one that is quite an early memory is the Jodie Jones murder, I was at a caravan park near the area she was killed when this was all over the news and we had to drive in to Dalkeith to get a tyre changed - if you look up James English on YouTube he interviewed the mother of the guy who was convicted and another woman related to the case and they protest his innocence.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
A recent one that’s really stuck with me is the crash near Oxford where the mum and 3 kids died and left behind the dad and another child. I read the story and they’d been living between houses as their house had burnt down. Just so unlucky and tragic. The guy said such beautiful things about his wife and family afterwards.
This was very near me, and when I hear stuff like this I always panic that it’ll be someone I know. I also know that stretch of road very well and can’t even contemplate how it happened.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Dunblane 😢I just think how scared those poor babies were .Why could he have not killed himself and left those little ones alone .I remember their parents waiting outside for news about them how can they ever get over what happened ? I hope he rots in hell for all eternity the evil bastard.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
🚨 all aviation related 🤦‍♀️🤣
So I work as an aviation security instructor for an airline ( prob the worst job to have right now, thanks covid🤦‍♀️😜) I would be responsible for the security training of cabin crew, security companies etc
So I have to go through past incidents/terrorist attacks that were big news stories
Some of the incidents I would cover would be the Lockerbie disaster, 9/11, 2007 Glasgow airport attack, 2016 Brussels airport attack, the 2006 liquid explosives bombing plot (we can thank those guys for having to place our liquids in that damn zip lock bag) Richard Reid (shoe bomber) the underwear bomber (literally blew up his own willy🤦‍♀️) These are all such interesting stories but one of the most interesting is the story of ann Marie Murphy, I’ll share a link here for anyone interested to read it https://www.shabak.gov.il/english/heritage/affairs/Pages/Anne-MarieMurphyCase.aspx

Reactions: 6
Dunblane 😢I just think how scared those poor babies were .Why could he have not killed himself and left those little ones alone .I remember their parents waiting outside for news about them how can they ever get over what happened ? I hope he rots in hell for all eternity the evil bastard.
Every classroom I’ve had I’ve come up with a plan to get the children out if someone came in. My current classroom is a building all by itself on the school fields. On a training day I went to my classroom by myself and because no one had left their exterior doors open I couldn’t get into the main building. It’s gates all the way round so I was trapped. If someone did get over the gates with that intention me and the children would be fish in a barrel. We are literally alone over there!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Alesha MacPhail - I can't get over the sheer nerve of a 16-year-old brazenly breaking into a flat with 4 adults sleeping to (supposedly) find some weed. He then stumbles onto a child and decides to take her. It came out later that he had been drinking and doing drugs for several years already and there were local rumours that his family had hushed up allegations of previous sex assaults.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I can also remember Ken bigley so vividly.
Chilean miners. Loved watching them be rescued.
Years ago a Russian(?) gang kept a whole school hostage inside the school and I remember being obsessed with that.
September 11th obviously.
And then when news has broken of shocking celebrity deaths. I was gobsmacked when Mike from love Island died and really vividly remember reading about it.

I remember this. There was loads of dog food in the house too, she just stopped going back to feed it.
People like that who can neglect or hurt an animal for nothing, I believe, are dangerous.
I never understand this either. If you truly can't be bothered to not look after them anymore it takes minimal effort to tie them up outside an animal rescue.

Reactions: 3
I can also remember Ken bigley so vividly.
Chilean miners. Loved watching them be rescued.
Years ago a Russian(?) gang kept a whole school hostage inside the school and I remember being obsessed with that.
September 11th obviously.
And then when news has broken of shocking celebrity deaths. I was gobsmacked when Mike from love Island died and really vividly remember reading about it.

I never understand this either. If you truly can't be bothered to not look after them anymore it takes minimal effort to tie them up outside an animal rescue.
2016 was this year with a lot of shocking celebrity deaths.

The plane that crashed on the motorway near East Midlands airport in 1989. I live not far from there and it could have been much worse if the aircraft came down on the airport or a residential area.

Also another one, which is local news, is the murder of Lisa Jane Hession. It happened in the town that I am from 36 years ago today and still to this day the killer hasn’t been caught. She was 14 years old and was just yards from her home when it happened, she had been returning from a party. It’s so sad that her mum passed away without seeing justice done for Lisa.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I always remember the shootings in Cumbria, it flashed up as breaking news and just thought how awful those people going about their day and something like that happening. Also the Suffolk murders, as I’m from/live in Ipswich and as a teenage girl when it happened it was incredibly scary.

Remember seeing one about an elderly woman in a red coat that got hit by a bin lorry. They showed a CCTV clip of her walking out into the road (you don't see it happen). They then showed the CCTV after it happened. There were 3 men who witnessed it and they all looked shocked and horrified, one of them was doubled over as if he was about to be sick. Poor lady.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
When I first read about James Foley who was beheaded by Islamic state it was truly shocking, I often think about him now

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Quite a few but Dunblane really sticks with me as well as 911. Dunblane I remember we did a silence in school for it and my form tutor was absolutely hysterically sobbing and had to go and sit in the staff room.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
When I first read about James Foley who was beheaded by Islamic state it was truly shocking, I often think about him now
Its horrible how shocking that all used to be but how I just feel so desensitised to it now ☹ I remember seeing stills in the paper of snuff movies isis had made in glamorous movie style. They obviously get such a kick out of it.

Quite a few but Dunblane really sticks with me as well as 911. Dunblane I remember we did a silence in school for it and my form tutor was absolutely hysterically sobbing and had to go and sit in the staff room.
I was 16 when dunblane happened-I remember buying the tape they released just after

its the reason I always tell my kids I love them as we leave each other-I couldn’t bear it if something happened and my last words to them where something else

about 4 weeks after it happened I went to go meet my mother in the school she worked in

i wandered in,no questions asked-ok they knew me-but nobody batted an eyelid
i sat in the office-nobody was there the whole 15 minutes I was there and people where wandering in and back out freely

my mates kids went to the same school years later and they had put electronic gates in-for cars-if you where on foot then you walked in through another gate and you could either go into the office-or go for a jolly trip round the school,unseen for most of it,and nobody would have known

saying that,they had two kids who’s family where the local trouble makers

These two boys where a handful but to be fair where nice kids

shame they walked up the school path,to the gates,walked through them,down the street-over a main road and where seen playing in the forecourt of the local bp garage which is a ten minute walk away-the kids at the time where 5 and 8

the dinner ladies where too busy not watching the kids and these two got out
nothing happened-no locks on gates,no making it harder to get in/out

hell,the dinner ladies simply got asked what had happened and that was it!

they also had a playing field next to the school-and that had 3 massive holes in the fence-that where there when I was at that school-and I’m 42!any adult could sneak in-or any child out-im amazed it’s not happened yet

seems this school just didn’t see any danger in the world!in their world dunblane happened in a far away world and that was that!

I was in Tunisia the week before. It was my first holiday in 15 years due to being terrified of flying since 9/11. Needless to say I’ve never been away since.
There was a blogger...a girl called Carly Lovett who was killed in the Tunisia beach attacks.

• Sad
In Glasgow we've had 3 tradegies happen near Christmas time.

One was the police helicopter that crashed into a pub. The Anniversary was on Sunday. We'd been putting Christmas decorations up in the centre I work in and the helicopter passed over my head at 8.30pm when I was waiting for my bus. Quite a few people in Glasgow saw it hit the Clutha. It's so near the river - who knows if the pilot was trying to ditch there to save lives.

A week before Christmas 2010, a guy crashed into 2 students waiting at traffic lights. Both girls died. Turned put he'd had medical issues and hadn't disclosed them. Apparently he'd passed out 6 times before. He never faced trial.

4 years later, a guy driving a bin lorry killed 6 people including a girl and her grandparents. The pictures of her poor mum at their funeral still sticks with me.

Again he had medical issues he didn't disclose and didn't face trial. He'd passed out driving a bus! He was banned from driving on medical grounds and was seen driving his car!

At the enquiry, the other men in the lorry seemed more affected by the crash than the driver was.

Both of these men literally walked away from these crashes without a scratch on them but have left a lifetime of hurt for their victims families.
I knew one of the victims of the Clutha helicopter crash. Heartbreaking for all the people involved and their families left behind. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the news coverage. 😞❤

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Something that really that really makes me cry whenever I think about it is a post that came about a week after the stonemason Douglas high school shooting in Florida. I'm big into dance and the American dance community. I watch the competition livestreams etc and follow the whole season. One of the judges of a competition posted the weekend after the shooting saying that they were judging a dance competition were one of the girls who had been killed was due to compete a solo. At the request of her studio, when her time to perform came, they played her solo song to a completely empty stage. I cry my eyes out every time I think of it.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.