Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Something that really that really makes me cry whenever I think about it is a post that came about a week after the stonemason Douglas high school shooting in Florida. I'm big into dance and the American dance community. I watch the competition livestreams etc and follow the whole season. One of the judges of a competition posted the weekend after the shooting saying that they were judging a dance competition were one of the girls who had been killed was due to compete a solo. At the request of her studio, when her time to perform came, they played her solo song to a completely empty stage. I cry my eyes out every time I think of it.
Thats so sad but what a poigniant tribute x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
The two year old boy who was on holiday with his family to Florida (Disney World) and was dragged off into the water by an alligator, to his death. Just horrific. My son wasn’t much younger at the time, my heart broke for him and his family. Poor little darling. 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 12
The two year old boy who was on holiday with his family to Florida (Disney World) and was dragged off into the water by an alligator, to his death. Just horrific. My son wasn’t much younger at the time, my heart broke for him and his family. Poor little darling. 😞
Yes :( I remember this. Weren’t they really close to the shore?

Reactions: 1
Just realised there’s a programme on about Rachel Nickell, sadly it’s another I remember

Sometimes you particularly remember how you heard about the story too. I remember going to bed one night and waking up to hear that the bomb had gone off in Manchester the night before. Awful.

Reactions: 2
Sometimes you particularly remember how you heard about the story too. I remember going to bed one night and waking up to hear that the bomb had gone off in Manchester the night before. Awful.
I remember the first reports of an explosion appearing on social media at about 10.30pm and it being roundly dismissed as balloon popping (yes really) or an amp blowing in the area, so didn’t think anything of it. There was also that awful photo of the foyer area with bodies strewn everywhere and people were saying it was taken from a dry run the emergency services had recently done for a potential terrorist attack. I went to bed and then obviously got up to the awful news.

Interestingly the girl who does my eyebrows was actually in the arena at the time of the explosion with her son and she said everyone knew immediately that it was a bomb, so I think it was played down initially to avoid a panic.

Reactions: 6
I remember the first reports of an explosion appearing on social media at about 10.30pm and it being roundly dismissed as balloon popping (yes really) or an amp blowing in the area, so didn’t think anything of it. There was also that awful photo of the foyer area with bodies strewn everywhere and people were saying it was taken from a dry run the emergency services had recently done for a potential terrorist attack. I went to bed and then obviously got up to the awful news.

Interestingly the girl who does my eyebrows was actually in the arena at the time of the explosion with her son and she said everyone knew immediately that it was a bomb, so I think it was played down initially to avoid a panic.
I wonder if anything will come of the fact that so many of the British Transport Police were so incompetent that night?

I wonder if anything will come of the fact that so many of the British Transport Police were so incompetent that night?
Yes I wonder that. There was one guy who saw the bomber and thought he was acting suspiciously and did nothing because he was scared of getting accused of being racist. If he’d have gone with his gut feeling, and I’m a bit believer in following your gut or intuition or whatever you want to call it, then the attack could have thwarted.

Ive read similar about the 9/11 attacks. A man who worked in the security area thought one of the hijackers looked like a terrorist and oozed evil, but didn’t feel he could do anything about it because he scanned through without any problem.

Reactions: 4
Yes I wonder that. There was one guy who saw the bomber and thought he was acting suspiciously and did nothing because he was scared of getting accused of being racist. If he’d have gone with his gut feeling, and I’m a bit believer in following your gut or intuition or whatever you want to call it, then the attack could have thwarted.

Ive read similar about the 9/11 attacks. A man who worked in the security area thought one of the hijackers looked like a terrorist and oozed evil, but didn’t feel he could do anything about it because he scanned through without any problem.
true - and the police guy that wasn't even there and the others that were on a massively long break.

Reactions: 2
The news that keeps me awake at night is always cruelty to children. Especially when it's gone on over an extended period - children should have innocence and happiness and I just can't get my mind around anybody who could hurt somebody so defenceless. Baby P was so awful I couldn't even read it all. Just horrendous.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
The news that keeps me awake at night is always cruelty to children. Especially when it's gone on over an extended period - children should have innocence and happiness and I just can't get my mind around anybody who could hurt somebody so defenceless. Baby P was so awful I couldn't even read it all. Just horrendous.
Same here...especially now I have one, I just can’t get my head around it. It’s heartbreaking what some children go through. I couldn’t read it either, it made me feel physically sick. I think it was around the time we were struggling to have a baby and it seemed so unfair people like that could have babies and then treat them like that 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Have to agree. It is beyond all comprehension how someone could treat an innocent child like that, especially so when it’s done by the people who are supposed to love and protect them unconditionally. To think that there are children who have only ever known pain and horror in their little lives is just so terribly sad. 💔

I’d had a really bad night up with my daughter and had gone into the spare bedroom and it had taken me forever to get back to sleep. I woke up and checked my phone at it was like 5am. I went on Instagram and there was loads of posts about Chadwick Boseman. I was like well that can’t be true I must still be asleep. Then I woke up later thinking about my dream that he had died and obviously it had actually happened. It was such a weird experience I just couldn’t get my head around it.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Another one that has also always stuck with me for the last few years is the murder of Rebecca Watts, who was murdered by her step brother and his girlfriend. Seemed to be some sort of sexual motive behind it.
So sad, she was only 15. I worked with a girl when it happened who knew Nathan Matthews when she was at school and always said there was something very weird about him. Crazy to think that some people you have worked with/gone to school with turn out to be these monsters.

Reactions: 6
Amber Peat stayed with me. The poor girl was treated appallingly by her step father and completely let down by her Mother too.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Viola Beach. A band from Warrington. They were on tour in Sweden and the vehicle they were travelling in fell off a bridge. All lost their lives including their manager.

Flight MH17 a passenger plane that was shot down above the Russian-Ukraine boarder.

Everyone remembers 9/11 but Flight93 really sticks with me as the one where the passengers tried to take back control from the hijackers and crashed into the ground. Real life heros.

Last year the murders of Blake and Tristan Barrass. 15 and 13 year old brothers murdered by their parents. They also tried to murder their 4 other children. It’s rumoured the parents are half brother and sister and the kids didn’t know. Absolutely harrowing.

💔💔

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Imagine the horrors Judges must see and hear on a daily basis. They never hear of the god humans can do, just the harm. It must be one of the most traumatic jobs.

Reactions: 7
There was a man who was trapped in the Windows of the World restaurant on 9/11, talking to a news channel on the phone before the building collapsed. He sounded quite young and seemed hopeful that he would get out of there. I remember his name was Christopher Hanley

• Sad
Reactions: 8
The young girl from Ireland who died recently, her name was Anna I believe. She was murdered by 2 boys she went to school with. I remember reading the story and feeling sick at what they'd done to her but then how they weren't remorseful at all. They were too busy trying to blame each other!

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.