Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think she's married with a child now. Goodness knows where I read that though, probably on a site like Tattle!
I imagine their is a lot of involvement by social services. An old work colleague claimed she was renting a house in her street...she was disgusted. Because her house was so expensive and in an exclusive area. Worried it would drag price of her house down

Reactions: 1
I imagine their is a lot of involvement by social services. An old work colleague claimed she was renting a house in her street...she was disgusted. Because her house was so expensive and in an exclusive area. Worried it would drag price of her house down
Not necessarily in terms of social services.

She used to go to the probation office I worked at, but only for a short time.

Reactions: 3
Not necessarily in terms of social services.

She used to go to the probation office I worked at, but only for a short time.
wow I find that quite interesting about social services. I’m assuming she was given a new identity but it was obvious who she is.

I always wonder with probation office...are the offenders discussed or just the impact on rehabilitation and say funding work/employment?

wow I find that quite interesting about social services. I’m assuming she was given a new identity but it was obvious who she is.

I always wonder with probation office...are the offenders discussed or just the impact on rehabilitation and say funding work/employment?
I dont understand what you are asking sorry

I dont understand what you are asking sorry
So is the actual crime ever mentioned or just the conviction? So for example with Maxine would it be mentioned the actual events. Or would this never be mentioned and just talk about how finding work etc with a conspiring to prevent to course of justice conviction?

I often feel like the victims are forgotten about as individuals and it’s more about moving the offender forward. Hope that makes more sense.

So is the actual crime ever mentioned or just the conviction? So for example with Maxine would it be mentioned the actual events. Or would this never be mentioned and just talk about how finding work etc with a conspiring to prevent to course of justice conviction?

I often feel like the victims are forgotten about as individuals and it’s more about moving the offender forward. Hope that makes more sense.
Im still not sure sorry (it's late and my brain stops working) but if you are asking do we discuss the actual crime with the offender then yes. It's the central theme. We work around reducing the risk of reoffending which may include housing, employment, education etc but we also work on the views they have towards their behaviour, victim empathy etc. We were taught to always have the victim sitting on your shoulder (figuratively obviously)

Reactions: 7
Always remember when I was around 14-15 in 2006 on MSN (good times) someone send me a link to photos of a crash victim.

Her name was Nikki Catsouras.
She had an argument with her dad and Went for a drive in his Porsche 911, which she wasn’t allowed to drive. She lost control and hit a toll booth at 100mph.
The photos of the scene got leaked by an Officer who’d sent them to friends.
This stayed with me and will be with me for a long time.

Please Please Please don’t go searching for the pictures. They are horrific and are still very easily found with a google search, unfortunately.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12

All aspects are discussed, including how the offender views themselves as well as the impact on both the victim and on them in relation to moving forward with their lives. There are also charities that ex offenders can approach or be referred to that offer assistance with a range of things such as counselling, housing and work etc. I'm not saying it's always straightforward or successful though obviously but in terms of probation, it's a condition of sentencing/release that they must engage with the service.

All aspects are discussed, including how the offender views themselves as well as the impact on both the victim and on them in relation to moving forward with their lives. There are also charities that ex offenders can approach or be referred to that offer assistance with a range of things such as counselling, housing and work etc. I'm not saying it's always straightforward or successful though obviously but in terms of probation, it's a condition of sentencing/release that they must engage with the service.
I appreciate it’s obviously really complex but it is interesting that the whole situation is looked at. Especially how the person views themselves. I know in my local area there is a charity that helps rehabilitate people on release. Things like housing as if that’s not sorted then likely to fall back into old habits. I do find it really interesting. I watched a documentary on how different counties deal with release. Think it was Sweden where there is no whole life sentence. I was at a party once with a women who was a prison psychologist...most unapproachable person ever but maybe that was a defence to being asked lots of questions about her job. So didn’t ask any lol x

Re: Maxine Carr
She was only 25 and seemed like a vulnerable and not very bright girl. Huntley was horrendously coercive and abusive. None of these are excuses but are reasons for behaving in a way that the general public find repulsive.

Reactions: 11
The Soham murders was shocking. I wonder what made Maxine Carr lie. She thought she’d lose her job?! She did and a lot more. I wonder if she just couldn’t comprehend the enormity of what had happened. I always got the impression she was a bit slow and very impressionable. Does excise what she did in any way.

Poor Kelly Anne how she must have suffered. Sure it was over a 150 injuries including gouging out her eyes which I remember reading must have happened anywhere between 1-3 weeks before she died. Her brother went round and was told she was out. It really upset me her case as she must have suffered so badly and for people who cared about her to live with knowing that x
I think probably she could have been quite impressionable! I think a poster earlier on said there was some abuse there?

Yes, I cannot comprehend the sheer misery she spent the last few weeks of her life in. Imagine hearing a family member outside trying to find you and having the opportunity to escape only for them to leave because they thought you weren't in! Her life was so tragic :(.

I just looked up the Kelly Anne Bates case. Dear god. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything like that

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
The one that I always remember is the Sandy Hook school shooting in America. Was only a few years ago. I just remember thinking imagine those parents waiting outside for their child to come out, not knowing if they were one of the ones that got killed. Those poor children must have been terrified. There are many more but that one will always stay with me

• Sad
I just looked up the Kelly Anne Bates case. Dear god. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything like that
Just awful! Imagine being on the jury and seeing pics. She was loved and people were checking on her. Read that he took her to window as a neighbour was asking after her. She must have felt awful after thinking she could have done something but it’s not her fault. Don’t think you’d comprehend it x

Always remember when I was around 14-15 in 2006 on MSN (good times) someone send me a link to photos of a crash victim.

Her name was Nikki Catsouras.
She had an argument with her dad and Went for a drive in his Porsche 911, which she wasn’t allowed to drive. She lost control and hit a toll booth at 100mph.
The photos of the scene got leaked by an Officer who’d sent them to friends.
This stayed with me and will be with me for a long time.

Please Please Please don’t go searching for the pictures. They are horrific and are still very easily found with a google search, unfortunately.
And someone forwarded those photos onto her father just after she died. The world is a sick place.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Just awful! Imagine being on the jury and seeing pics. She was loved and people were checking on her. Read that he took her to window as a neighbour was asking after her. She must have felt awful after thinking she could have done something but it’s not her fault. Don’t think you’d comprehend it x
I think of her often. It’s a story that’s always stuck with me- even more so now I’m a mother. I think we all like to think we would be able to protect our children but her father only did what he thought was best. She had no chance against that monster.

• Sad
I think of her often. It’s a story that’s always stuck with me- even more so now I’m a mother. I think we all like to think we would be able to protect our children but her father only did what he thought was best. She had no chance against that monster.
She didn’t. He’d been violent with other partners and groomed her from her mid teens x

I really need to stop reading these before I go to bed 😩

One that has stuck with me was Christopher Foster. Not far from my hometown. He shot his wife and daughter at home after returning from a friends BBQ. He even killed all their horses and dogs. They lived in a gated mansion and when he shot them he placed a horse box in front of their gated entrance and blew out the tyres so that no one could enter to try and help. He then set the whole place on fire and shot himself. Think it came out afterwards he was in a huge amount of debt so decided they should all die rather than stop having their lavish lifestyle. How anyone could kill their family and pets I just can’t comprehend

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Just been talking to my husband about the Swedish twins that ran in front of traffic on the m6. They were on a motorway patrol programme and were behaving bizarrely. One was hit by a lorry, the other by a car. Then one was released from cuaotdu and ended up stabbing a man to death.

• Sad
Just been talking to my husband about the Swedish twins that ran in front of traffic on the m6. They were on a motorway patrol programme and were behaving bizarrely. One was hit by a lorry, the other by a car. Then one was released from cuaotdu and ended up stabbing a man to death.
Oh yes I remember this. I was on a night away and it came on the TV in the hotel. I was laughing to my husband saying it cannot be real. I thought it was a made up programme until I realised it wasn't. Stuck with me for days after.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.