Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was an episode of Law & Order SVU on last night which was obv loosely based on the Turpin story. A very malnourished girl escapes from a house, police think she is in her teens but she is actually in her twenties, she is forced to go back home by her controlling dad, parents take the kids out bowling, like a happy family day out, neighbours barely saw the children outside, when a policewoman enters the house she finds one of the children shackled to a radiator.
I thought it was a real coincidence after reading about the Turpin story on here then seeing that episode!
I am a total law and order svu geek, there’s a tonne of episodes that are loosely based on real life crimes, they usually have a disclaimer at the start of them that says it’s fiction and not based on a real story 🤣 but the actual fictional ones don’t have the disclaimer 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I am a total law and order svu geek, there’s a tonne of episodes that are loosely based on real life crimes, they usually have a disclaimer at the start of them that says it’s fiction and not based on a real story 🤣 but the actual fictional ones don’t have the disclaimer 🤣
Oh.... i knew there was always a disclaimer saying it wasn't based on real life crimes but haven't noticed when there wasn't one. I must keep a look out!

Reactions: 1
The Anni Dewani case. Currently watching the Discovery plus series on it. Shrien was a disgraceful human being. He either arranged her murder or couldn't believe his luck when she was murdered. The way he acted towards her family was disgusting. Her poor family never will get justice just because he couldn't be true to himself.

I often think of her story.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
The Anni Dewani case. Currently watching the Discovery plus series on it. Shrien was a disgraceful human being. He either arranged her murder or couldn't believe his luck when she was murdered. The way he acted towards her family was disgusting. Her poor family never will get justice just because he couldn't be true to himself.
Where is this? Sky?

Gareth Williams. He was a mathematician for GCHQ who was on secondment to MI6. He was found zipped up in a bag padlocked from the outside.

I think it was eventually concluded that from a police investigation it was an accident even though the coroner said it was virtually impossible for him to have locked himself inside the bag. I think it has also been suggested that there was Russian interference.
When this was going on, someone got a yoga expert, a man of the same build to try and lock himself in the same bag from the inside. He couldn't do it. Obviously Gareth was murdered, I don't know how anyone could say it was an accident.

Reactions: 16
A helicopter crash in Las Vegas in 2018 that killed a group of british friends on holiday has always stuck with me as it was so tragic. Two brothers were killed along with a couple that were on their honeymoon. I saw an article today about an inquest into the crash which was what reminded me of it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59340397

Reactions: 3
Kayleigh Haywood is another one I think of from time to time. So sad. I'm sure one of those beasts died in jail.

Reactions: 4
Just been reading more about Arthur labinjo Hughes and what happened to him, it’s made me feel so sick and angry.

Allegedly the dad said he was frustrated with lockdown, not working and his son’s behaviour, but he couldn’t lash out at his partner because she was a woman and he couldn’t touch her kids, so he took it out on Arthur. What a disgusting, pathetic excuse for a man, the last person you take it out on is a child, any child.

They also claim that Arthur had behavioural problems, he screamed and threw tantrums, hit out and was rude to his dad and his partner… and that pathetic excuse of a human thinks that justifies torturing his son? NO, NEVER. He was a child and they were the adults, it was their job to understand his behaviour and to try and help him improve in gentle ways, not by beating him 😭.

The poor kid had been taken away from his mum and then the country went into lockdown, then he moved in with his dad and a stranger and her kids. No wonder he was acting out and had behavioural problems, most children would, it is no excuse to treat him that way, they should have got help if they were struggling. I feel so angry 😡😡😡.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Just been reading more about Arthur labinjo Hughes and what happened to him, it’s made me feel so sick and angry.

Allegedly the dad said he was frustrated with lockdown, not working and his son’s behaviour, but he couldn’t lash out at his partner because she was a woman and he couldn’t touch her kids, so he took it out on Arthur. What a disgusting, pathetic excuse for a man, the last person you take it out on is a child, any child.

They also claim that Arthur had behavioural problems, he screamed and threw tantrums, hit out and was rude to his dad and his partner… and that pathetic excuse of a human thinks that justifies torturing his son? NO, NEVER. He was a child and they were the adults, it was their job to understand his behaviour and to try and help him improve in gentle ways, not by beating him 😭.

The poor kid had been taken away from his mum and then the country went into lockdown, then he moved in with his dad and a stranger and her kids. No wonder he was acting out and had behavioural problems, most children would, it is no excuse to treat him that way, they should have got help if they were struggling. I feel so angry 😡😡😡.
Same here I've seen the evidence released and am so angry at that man and that woman! We do have a thread for him if you want to come over? So upsetting what those monsters did I think I will always remember this case. 💔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
My god the video they released yesterday with poor Arther in. Never has a news story brought me to tears like this one. The fact the grandmother took a photo of his bruised little body and sent it to social services a few weeks before he died makes me so bleeping angry. This poor little boy could and should have been saved.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Star and Arthur are definitely two that will stick with me. I had heard of other child abuse cases/deaths before I had children and ashamedly, they didn’t have much of an impact on me at all - it was more a ‘oh that’s a shame’ type response.

Looking at beautiful little Star and that awful awful footage of Arthur is literally like my heart is grieving for them. I can’t comprehend the people around them in their lives. Children are so so precious and little miracles.

Star and Arthur are definitely two that will stick with me. I had heard of other child abuse cases/deaths before I had children and ashamedly, they didn’t have much of an impact on me at all - it was more a ‘oh that’s a shame’ type response.

Looking at beautiful little Star and that awful awful footage of Arthur is literally like my heart is grieving for them. I can’t comprehend the people around them in their lives. Children are so so precious and little miracles.
Same here. The 1st time I've followed a child abuse case the way I have those pair of little angels. Didnt TH at any point just want to see his baby smile and laugh again? How has he got the nerve to try and defend himself. I for one am so glad they are releasing all this stuff. Eliminates doubt, puts public pressure on the justice system to give a proper and real sentence. Arthur's case according to Web sleuths does fit the criteria for a whole life sentence but it never seems to be the case for children killed in the home.

• Sad
Same here. The 1st time I've followed a child abuse case the way I have those pair of little angels. Didnt TH at any point just want to see his baby smile and laugh again? How has he got the nerve to try and defend himself. I for one am so glad they are releasing all this stuff. Eliminates doubt, puts public pressure on the justice system to give a proper and real sentence. Arthur's case according to Web sleuths does fit the criteria for a whole life sentence but it never seems to be the case for children killed in the home.
I've just looked up the floor plans for that type of house and my god, the hallway is tiny! How could he have been left to stand there for that length of time?

• Sad
Reactions: 4

I hadn’t seen this story but have just listened to the audio of him shouting “no one loves me” just absolutely broke my heart. I’m sobbing my heart out thinking of that poor boy. How on earth can people be so cruel to anyone let alone a defenceless child. It’s just awful.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I've just looked up the floor plans for that type of house and my god, the hallway is tiny! How could he have been left to stand there for that length of time?
I know it's like a box isn't it. I'm so angry at TH for doing and letting this happen!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I hadn’t seen this story but have just listened to the audio of him shouting “no one loves me” just absolutely broke my heart. I’m sobbing my heart out thinking of that poor boy. How on earth can people be so cruel to anyone let alone a defenceless child. It’s just awful.
Between that and the CCTV, my faith in humans is shot to pieces. That poor boy, having lived a relatively normal life until that point, had everything stripped of him. And reduced to sleeping on the damn floor downstairs away from everyone. I wish he had been able to open the door and run away :(

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I feel for the jury in this case too. Having to hear of this torture and to see those vile specimens every day

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I feel for the jury in this case too. Having to hear of this torture and to see those vile specimens every day
The family as well they lost Arthur and despite what he's done TH as well. How will they ever come to terms with it? 💔

Reactions: 2
I was thinking this. How can anyone stomach listening to the details and watching that video 😥 does anyone know why this trial is taking so long? I feel like it's been in the media for weeks and weeks now.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.