Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Daniel Morecombe lured away from a bus stop & murdered 18 years ago yesterday. He was 13 years old at the time. (Sunshine Coast Aust)

• Sad
Reactions: 10
In the run up to Christmas, a woman fell while getting the Christmas decorations from the loft. She died in front of her husband and children.

It was quite a few years ago now but I always think of that poor woman and her family at this time of year. Heartbreaking.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
The story of The Springfield Three in Missouri, USA. Three women vanished into thin air in 1992. Definitely recommend looking into it but be prepared to go down a rabbit hole.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Jamie Bulger I was a teenager at the time and had started a babysitting job...first time I felt really traumatized by news

Dunblane was at a time of my first proper job and worked with lots of mums with small children. The atmosphere the next morning was awful one of my colleagues couldn't stop crying 😟

Lockerbie..has left me to this day scared of flying. I remember the personal items of the poor passengers being scattered around on news footage.

Gary glitter story happened when my first baby was born and literally felt sick for weeks wondering what world I had brought her into.

A story of a boy who had been swept out to sea and never found...weeks after we had been to the same beach. I can still see the boys face and feel so upset thinking about it

Boxing day tsunami ...so shocking

Shannon Mathews...same age as my daughter and went to a local school. I had real anxiety over this and remember being in Spain buying a British paper where it reported the mother had been arrested. I had to sit down in disbelief that anyone could do that

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Also Claudia Lawrence. My daughter was going to the same university where she worked. Worried myself sick. Poor woman hope her family get answers.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
the death of Conrad Roy. aka the 'texting suicide case'. his girlfriend was convicted of his manslaughter after sending texts encouraging him to commit suicide (knowing he was struggling with depression & anxiety.) on their final phone call she ordered Conrad to get back into his truck, which was filling with carbon monoxide, after he got out saying he was scared to go ahead with it.
my heart shattered for the poor boy after reading the messages she sent. such a cruel human. she was released from prison last year after serving only 11 months.

also fell down a rabbit hole on Annette Herfkens after seeing this video! the sole survivor of a plane crash in the Vietnamese jungle, 1992. her fiance who surprised her with the trip died on impact, and she spent 8 days alone, surrounded by bodies, and seriously injured before being rescued. she survived on rainwater collected in sponges from the planes insulation.
in 2006 she revisited the crash site and met her rescuers. she also learnt that a helicopter was sent out to rescue her, but that too crashed into the jungle killing all 8 onboard..
i can't even begin to imagine how she felt, and what she saw during that week. such a powerful & inspiring woman.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
There’s a programme on bbc Scotland at the moment about Margaret Flemings disappearance/murder, we spoke about it earlier in the threat for anybody interested

Reactions: 1
There’s a programme on bbc Scotland at the moment about Margaret Flemings disappearance/murder, we spoke about it earlier in the threat for anybody interested
I watched this when it first aired
Just awful what happened! The 2 of them seemed very strange!

Reactions: 2
Lockerbie. I think because my dad was part of the recovery team I paid attention as I was only little.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
it was the 2004 tsunami for me. I developed a phobia of the sea because of it. I will not go anywhere near it even now.

Also Sandy Hook. Not just because of those poor children, but the gunman’s face always creeps me out.

Reactions: 8
All the well known ones, 9/11, London bombings, James Bulger..

Another one that sticks in my head is from about 20ish years ago when a nanny shook a child to death - I was young at the time and all I remember is the nanny was shown in court recreating the movement she did when she held the child, I believe her first name was Grace but I could be wrong and she received 15 years in jail. I’ve tried googling to follow up but can’t find anything.
Louise Woodward?

A helicopter crash in Las Vegas in 2018 that killed a group of british friends on holiday has always stuck with me as it was so tragic. Two brothers were killed along with a couple that were on their honeymoon. I saw an article today about an inquest into the crash which was what reminded me of it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59340397
I used to work for the couple on the honeymoon that died. I only met them once or twice, but they were nice. I remember being so shocked reading the news and finding out it was about them.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Two men going on a random shooting spree around Washington DC. I remember Sky News showing pictures of a car in a petrol station with blood on it.

That was about the same time when the plane crashed on the road near our airport here in the East Midlands.
I remember this, unfortunately what I remember most was this Indian/Pakistani guy being a knob behind the reporter, and thinking it's idiots like this who give us all a bad name.

As soon as you mentioned this, that head came to mind.

This happened today and it’s fkd me up hard. I am beyond devastated for these families.
This has really upset me today. It’s now 5 children 😢The picture of the 2 police officers and the video where you can hear the e newsreader off camera saying “oh my god” when the live update is given by the Police and he said the 4 children had died. Tipped me over the edge.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
This has really upset me today. It’s now 5 children 😢The picture of the 2 police officers and the video where you can hear the e newsreader off camera saying “oh my god” when the live update is given by the Police and he said the 4 children had died. Tipped me over the edge.
It’s unbearable isn’t it. One of the most horrific things that’s ever happened 😓

Reactions: 3
It’s unbearable isn’t it. One of the most horrific things that’s ever happened 😓
Reminded me of the 2 incidents here - one in Harlow and the other in Gorleston. Those poor children having the time of their lives and then this. They must have been so terrified 😢

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.