Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As well as the ones above, the Tony Martin story has always ‘stuck’ with me, probably because we learnt about it and watched a reconstruction at school. I guess it’s always freaked me out in a way, an awful story on both sides and still an ongoing debate about who was right/who was wrong

A follow up for if anyone else has heard of this case

Reactions: 5
There was a huge case in Ireland a few years back. Graham Dwyer and Elaine O Haras murder. Shocking stuff. But what always stuck with me was the coincidences that led to him being caught and arrested. If memory serves me right, Elaines body was found by someone out running while at around the same time in a different area some items relating to the murder were found in a reservoir which had low levels of water due to the summer heatwave, and the persistence of the young Garda involved who’s gut feeling led him to believe it was a suspicious case. Dwyer was a total psycho. A pure wolf in sheep’s clothing. Thank god he was convicted, its scary to think that if the summer that year (2013 I think) was not as warm as it was he might never have been caught. A fascinating case with so many twists and turns along the way. It doesn’t even seem that long since the trial was all over the news.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
There was a huge case in Ireland a few years back. Graham Dwyer and Elaine O Haras murder. Shocking stuff. But what always stuck with me was the coincidences that led to him being caught and arrested. If memory serves me right, Elaines body was found by someone out running while at around the same time in a different area some items relating to the murder were found in a reservoir which had low levels of water due to the summer heatwave, and the persistence of the young Garda involved who’s gut feeling led him to believe it was a suspicious case. Dwyer was a total psycho. A pure wolf in sheep’s clothing. Thank god he was convicted, its scary to think that if the summer that year (2013 I think) was not as warm as it was he might never have been caught. A fascinating case with so many twists and turns along the way. It doesn’t even seem that long since the trial was all over the news.
I don’t believe that was his first murder

Reactions: 7
That always sticks with me I don't live far from were he lived I always get really creeped out going past his house its all boreded up

No it definitely wasn't

Reactions: 2
That case really freaked me out too. I always felt for his poor wife and kids, i think they were teens. It really makes me feel that youll never truly know some one, only what they want you to know!

Reactions: 3
That case really freaked me out too. I always felt for his poor wife and kids, i think they were teens. It really makes me feel that youll never truly know some one, only what they want you to know!
Yes, this.

I remember feeling so desperately sad for Elaine as the texts were read during the trial.
All she wanted was for someone to love her, and this animal took advantage of it.

I don't believe it was his first, or even last, rodeo.

Also, his wife. Imagine thinking you were married to the most amazing man ever, living in a very nice area with kids, all your dreams come true.
And then one morning the guards come knocking and you find out that it was all a lie. That he's an absolute monster, manipulating and mentally torturing a very unwell, vulnerable woman, and then killing her.
Having to flee your home with your kids and change your name so that you wouldn't be forever associated with him.

Reactions: 6
Recently I was curious about the young American guy who took a promotional poster off a hotel wall (or at least was accused of it) in North Korea while on vacation a couple of years ago. Last I knew, he was incarcerated in North Korea after confessing (possibly forcibly).

But I was absolutely horrified when I found out he’d since been sent back to the US completely brain damaged in a permanently vegetative state and died days after arriving home.

I really, really hate to think what the North Korean authorities/police did to him for him to end up up that state.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Recently I was curious about the young American guy who took a promotional poster off a hotel wall (or at least was accused of it) in North Korea while on vacation a couple of years ago. Last I knew, he was incarcerated in North Korea after confessing (possibly forcibly).

But I was absolutely horrified when I found out he’d since been sent back to the US completely brain damaged in a permanently vegetative state and died days after arriving home.

I really, really hate to think what the North Korean authorities/police did to him for him to end up up that state.
Oh yes I remember this! Didn’t they say he had self harmed or something?

Reactions: 1
Oh yes I remember this! Didn’t they say he had self harmed or something?
The N Korean government’s official line was that he got botulism from eating something bad, and also had a bad reaction to some meds. When he got back to the US, doctors found no evidence of botulism.

It was just so awful, seeing it all start with his being humiliated in the court room, basically begging for his life, being dragged away and then reading about his ultimate death. His parents had no idea he was in a vegetative state prior to meeting him at the airport after he landed in the US. The last time they saw or heard from him he was physically healthy. I can’t begin to imagine their complete and utter shock.

No one outside N Korea will ever know the real truth about what happened to this poor lad, Otto Warmbier.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
The shootings at a concert in Las Vegas in 2017 I think was the year?? It was from a shooter at a hotel window… I always found it weird not a big deal was made of it, ALOT of people were killed

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Sarah and Jessica - the girls who went missing in the Manchester United kits- I am the same age as them and it terrified me.
Also the guy who got attacked and killed by a crocodile in Sri Lanka who worked at the Financial Times terrified me too as it was all so random and fast.
Holly and jessica .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Suzanne_Capper
this mainly because her younger brother was in the same year at my school. And his dad, I think he was suzannes step dad. Was always helping out at school and he was really a lovely man .would do anything for anyone. Even after the murder he was at school and always took the time to make sure everyone was ok .

• Sad
  • Heart
The case of Star Hobson, I just can't get that poor girl out of my head. Horrendous the abuse she suffered at the hands of her mum and mums girlfriend! How can anyone harm such an innocent baby, she was only 16 months old when she died 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Holly and jessica .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Suzanne_Capper
this mainly because her younger brother was in the same year at my school. And his dad, I think he was suzannes step dad. Was always helping out at school and he was really a lovely man .would do anything for anyone. Even after the murder he was at school and always took the time to make sure everyone was ok .

Astonishing that pre Huntley safeguarding checks were not properly done in schools.

Reactions: 4
(I will find a link once home. Currently on a train)

Tony Hugdell. His birth name was Tony Smith. His "parents " abused him. He survived. He was adopted by a wonderful lady. (Or couple, can't remember)

The case of Star Hobson, I just can't get that poor girl out of my head. Horrendous the abuse she suffered at the hands of her mum and mums girlfriend! How can anyone harm such an innocent baby, she was only 16 months old when she died 😭
There’s a thread on here about this. I must say reading the evidence etc has been extremely detrimental to my mental state - I advise anyone to proceed with caution if you are going to look this case up as it is genuinely horrific, and I don’t say that lightly.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
The shootings at a concert in Las Vegas in 2017 I think was the year?? It was from a shooter at a hotel window… I always found it weird not a big deal was made of it, ALOT of people were killed
I always think this too! 58 people killed and 800 injured. It only made the news for a few days!

I always think this too! 58 people killed and 800 injured. It only made the news for a few days!
there was a documentry on bbc iplayer I think about the vegas shooting and how its all been hushed up. Mainly because if all the bad press for vegas carried on then it could have kept people people away so they tried to keep it as quiet as possible. Its weird how its never really been explained (or has it?) like why did he go up there to shoot so many people and how did he get all those weapons up there without being stopped? The documentry touched on the idea of a second shooter or multiple attacks at once but was explained away as the sound carrying across the strip so no one knew for sure when the attack was happening.

• Sad
there was a documentry on bbc iplayer I think about the vegas shooting and how its all been hushed up. Mainly because if all the bad press for vegas carried on then it could have kept people people away so they tried to keep it as quiet as possible. Its weird how its never really been explained (or has it?) like why did he go up there to shoot so many people and how did he get all those weapons up there without being stopped? The documentry touched on the idea of a second shooter or multiple attacks at once but was explained away as the sound carrying across the strip so no one knew for sure when the attack was happening.
Yea and I remember reading days afterwards that it was possible the guy was framed and he had no reason to do that… it’s just all so fishy the story, like why didn’t it get more coverage?? I think it was the biggest mass shooting at a concert in America like. All sees kinda weird but I think about it every now and then like woah. I remember being in my gym all watching it on the tv when it first happened like this is crazy!!! And then for all the news outlets to forget about it 3 days later found so bizarre

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
This story always stuck with me and makes me sad, especially because it happened around Christmas time. A young couple from Essex called Nikki and Tom died after they were poisoned by exhaust fumes from Tom's car. Tom was a mechanic and had made a modification to his car, which had unknowingly caused carbon monoxide to leak inside.

• Sad
  • Wow
Definitely not his first crime anyways. I mean they initially thought Elaine died by suicide as she had mental health issues. How many more vulnerable women did he prey on 💔 Wasn’t he a suspect in Raonaid Murray’s murder too at some point, although I don’t think anything came of it. His poor wife and children. Definitely a possible serial killer!

It also reminds me I don’t think Sarah Everard was Wayne Couzins first murder or attempt at least. Same with Alexander Pacteau and Karen Buckley.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.