Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When I was six a little girl called Vicki Barton went missing in a town called Lawson in NSW. A year or so later, her remains were found in bushland not far from my backyard, in Springwood. Even though I was just a small girl myself, or maybe because of that, her story has stayed with me forever.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I was 3 months pregnant with my first when Dunblane happened, doing some photocopying in the post room when the early editions of the Evening Standard came in. No one could understand why I was so upset... :cry: So terrible.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Robert Holohan in Ireland a young boy strangled by his teenage neighbour and found in bin liners days later I remember being young and watching the search party and reading the paper. It was so so heart breaking for the family. I think the guy only did 4-5years
I remember that aswel I'm Irish didn't realise he only got 4/5 years

• Wow
Reactions: 2
The murder of British schoolgirl Caroline Dickinson in France in 1996. She was raped & murdered in her bed in a youth hostel while her friends were sleeping in the same room.
This one for me too. I always remember it because it was the year I went to France on a school trip and I was incredibly worried about it because of what happened to the poor girl.

Reactions: 4
Me too. I just can't stand it after having my baby 💔

I remember watching a documentary about Breck. My impression was there was a big sexual element to the attack. Horrifying.
It's just awful and it still makes me feel sick to my stomach 7 years later.

The murder of schoolgirl Kate Bushell in/near Exeter in 1997. She was walking her neighbour's dog and her throat was cut. Killer hasn't been found.

The "Babes in the Woods" murders of Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway were always on the news when I was very small, I always remember their pictures.

The Chillenden murders (Lin and Megan Russell).

When Fred and Rose West were revealed to be the monsters they are. I have my Mum to thank for my remembering this so well, she got really into following the news on this.

Jill Dando murder

Sarah Payne

Joanna Yeates

9/11 and 7/7: I watched it all unfold on TV

Paris Bataclan attack - this sticks in my head as it was the weekend my father died

And unfortunately towns fairly local to me have had some nationally/internationally-covered news in recent years;
- father with debt problems murdered his wife and two young children, then killed himsel
- a mother killed her young daughter, think the mother split from husband who she suspected of starting new relationship
- Salisbury Novichok Poisonings
- another father killed his wife and daughter

Also horrified to read about that girl who got raped on Bournemouth beach this summer, with crowds of people around.

Reactions: 1
This one for me too. I always remember it because it was the year I went to France on a school trip and I was incredibly worried about it because of what happened to the poor girl.
This happened at the same time I was on a school trip to Holland. Didn't hear about it till we got back but it terrified me as we were a similar age😕

the story of a woman locally to wear I live. she was 82 and on her way to bingo. Got off the bus and walked about half a mile down the road, went to cross the road about 10 yards before the traffic light crossing instead of walking to it, walked in front of a lorry and behind another car. Lights turned green and the lorry started driving not seeing the woman was walking in front of it because she was too small and close for the driver to see. I don't want to go into details but the lorry driver didn't even realise something was wrong until the car behind him was beeping after he'd driven through the lights. He stopped about 50 yards away from what happened with no idea what had gone on. She sadly died from the injuries which is so heartbreaking for her and her family. Heart went out to the driver as well and it really made me wary of crossing roads in front of cars. I always walk to the crossing and wait now.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
There's been a story last couple of days that has caught my eye

A woman has killed her husband - she has claimed he was abusive in the past
when she was arrested she was more concerned about getting her coat and slippers (probably in a state of shock)
But interested to see what happened with this one

Reactions: 1
Did they ever catch anyone for Caroline Dickinson?

The pensioner lady who killed her husband because he was allegedly abusive. I lost some sympathy when I read that she'd left her previous husband for this one, and then first husband killed himself.

Did they ever catch anyone for Caroline Dickinson?

Yes thank goodness - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Arce_Montes - he fled to US where he was arrested for a similar attack (not murder though), an immigration official happened to read about the Caroline Dickinson murder in a British newspaper (which named Montes as a suspect) and he checked the name in immigration records and that led him to Montes in Florida.

-----

It was back in the 60s so I obviously didn't see news coverage of it but the murder of Sylvia Likens was pretty horrific.

Last edited:
There's been a story last couple of days that has caught my eye

A woman has killed her husband - she has claimed he was abusive in the past
when she was arrested she was more concerned about getting her coat and slippers (probably in a state of shock)
But interested to see what happened with this one
Haven't his exs come out and said he was never abusive and that he was terrified of his current wife? But yeah it is an interesting story I've been following too.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.