Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sarah and Jessica - the girls who went missing in the Manchester United kits- I am the same age as them and it terrified me.
Also the guy who got attacked and killed by a crocodile in Sri Lanka who worked at the Financial Times terrified me too as it was all so random and fast.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Her husband who she was married to when she started an affair with the husband she stabbed, killed himself after find out she was cheating.

• Sad
Reactions: 2

I've never been able to forget Laura Sadler who was in Holby. She wasn't much older than me and I'd grown up watching her on TV and loved the Belfry Witches.

Also James Bulger. We'd just started looking at the news in class, we were still in primary school. We were told not to bring in anything about it or discuss it. And it was just so horrifying.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Aberfan disaster. I was having a driving lesson with my new husband and he was being an arse so I flounced out of the car minus my shoes and walked up the road. He drove off and left me there and never came back so I had to go to the bus station to get a bus home - no shoes and no coat in October. I was in tears when I asked the driver if I could have an unpaid fare ticket (you were able to do that in those days and pay it later) and he said yes it is so upsetting isn't it, no idea what he was talking about but cried all the way home - 10 mins. When I got off he said something like it will get better. When I got home and watched TV I realised what he was talking about.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Nothing like the heartbreaking cases already mentioned but one that I think about a lot because it was so odd was cat bin lady Mary Bale, the woman caught on CCTV putting a cat in a wheelie bin

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13

I've never been able to forget Laura Sadler who was in Holby. She wasn't much older than me and I'd grown up watching her on TV and loved the Belfry Witches.

Also James Bulger. We'd just started looking at the news in class, we were still in primary school. We were told not to bring in anything about it or discuss it. And it was just so horrifying.
I always think of Laura to ,cant believe it was over 18 years ago 😲

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
You tuber Emily Hartridge - the first person in the UK to be killed riding an electric scooter. I'd only just discovered her you tube channel a few weeks before it happened. So tragic.

• Sad
You tuber Emily Hartridge - the first person in the UK to be killed riding an electric scooter. I'd only just discovered her you tube channel a few weeks before it happened. So tragic.
Gosh I remember this. I had also started watching her YouTube’s a few weeks before she died. She was so beautiful 💔 I check in on her boyfriends Instagram every now and again as he was in a really bad way. He seems a lot better now bless him

Gosh I remember this. I had also started watching her YouTube’s a few weeks before she died. She was so beautiful 💔 I check in on her boyfriends Instagram every now and again as he was in a really bad way. He seems a lot better now bless him
Yes Jake. I often look him up and her sisters too. They were such a tight knit bunch.

I always think of Laura to ,cant believe it was over 18 years ago 😲
This was so sad. Didn’t the writers work with her family…so that her character won the lottery and emigrated. Which is just tragic…it’s the happy ending lithely would have liked for her I’m sure.

The death of Natasha and then Mark. His body hanging for days as well.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Hungerford has always stuck with me. I'd heard of mass shooting like that in America and particularly recalled one just three years earlier in 1984, when a man went into a MacDonalds and massacred a load of people. Hungerford was the first time it had happened in Britain.

Reactions: 1
I remember the documentary about this. Such a sad case. She was an instagrammer wasn’t she? It was the perfect illustration about how unreal IG can be.
She was one of these people that posted every single move on Facebook and used to go live a lot, even though Instagram was already a hit.

I'll never fantom what goes on in someone's head to think murder is the answer. Those poor girls. 😔

Yeah I liked her as well, she was in Grange Hill too. Also highly recommend the film she was in, "Intimate Relations".

Although for some reason I always get her confused with the girlfriend of Mark Speight who also died (as did he).

This was so sad. Didn’t the writers work with her family…so that her character won the lottery and emigrated. Which is just tragic…it’s the happy ending lithely would have liked for her I’m sure.

The death of Natasha and then Mark. His body hanging for days as well.

I don't know why I get Laura and Natasha confused...

Reactions: 1
There are 3 that absolutely haunt me. I remember the Beslan School Siege https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege going on and what those poor children and parents went through, how scared they must have been breaks my heart.

This is a girl I went to college with and I just don’t understand how her partner managed to go on I don’t think I could have https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-mcmullan-murder-pregnant-claire-2906152.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....p/18/starved-boy-mummified-corpse-hamzah-khan this poor angel I can’t even comprehend how bad it would be to be one of the police officers who discovered him.
The Claire murder happened outside my old shop, I had a doctor's appointment and had to close about 10 minutes before it happened. It's heartbreaking.

• Sad
We had something similar locally in the late 90s - a 13 year old called Leah Lawson https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/feb/28/johnsweeney.theobserver https://www.thefreelibrary.com/KILLED+BY+DRUGS+AT+13;+Tragic+Leah+had+two+junkie+sisters+but+still...-a060397693.

Her 2 sisters were also drug addicts and her niece (9 at the time) and Nephew also went on to take drugs too and at least the niece is frequently in the paper. Where they were brought up is sadly one of the worst areas of the town for drugs and crime - some people just don't stand a chance. Her parents, especially her mother as her father was often away working, are shadows of themselves - I used to see them around town and they looked 150 years old poor buggers. Feel for them so much it's such a sad situation :(
I live on the estate, and unfortunately it still has it's massive drug problem, but so has alot of Grimsby

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.