Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The death of PC Andrew Harper a couple of years ago and particularly the cause of his death šŸ˜ž it just makes me so sick and so angry especially seeing the faces of the three gutter rat oxygen thieves who caused it. He had such a kind looking face and was the same age as me. And then when it was announced that he was only married a few weeks before that. I remember looking at his wedding photos in the news and finding it so unbelievably sad that he would be killed just a few weeks later šŸ˜„

Also, the winter cherry fire in Keremovo, Russia in 2018. The fire started in a soft play area in a building which had been converted from a soviet era factory to a shopping and leisure mall. Due to the materials in the soft play it quickly spread and I remember seeing footage of the soft play being engulfed in seconds, bouncy castles exploding etc. It was during a school holiday I think so the majority of deaths were kids and parents šŸ˜” one man lost his whole family. There was also a cinema full of kids on an upper floor - they had no chance. Kids were calling parents to say good bye ā˜¹Due to the layout of the building, and the refurbishment from factory to leisure, meant it had awful fire safety standards apparently. At least 60 died but they reckon it was many more than that and that the final number was a cover up by Russian authorities...

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I think Iā€™ve seen security camera footage of that fire, really horrific if its the same one. It takes hold so quickly.

I donā€™t know if the Station Nightclub fire has been mentioned? Horrific footage, but everyone should watch it. I always look for the fire exits after seeing that.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Years ago Sky showed a report of a zoo/animal park in China. The public could pay a fee to see a live cow shoved into a ring with lions. The sound of that poor wretched cow screaming as they were chewing her leg is seared on my brain.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Ana Kriegel- a young girl who was killed by 2 young boys near Dublin. Absolutely awful but the part that really got me was... she had been home with her father and one of the boys i think called to the door for her where he lured her to an abandoned house where the other lad was waiting. When her mother got home and asked where Ana was and the father said out with friends, the mother reportedly knew something was wrong as Ana had no friends... so heartbreaking

• Sad
Reactions: 16
i'll never forget one from an island in my home country, an alcoholic threw all four of his little children off of their balcony, only 1 survived

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Leah Betts. The photo of her in the coma. It influenced how I was around drugs and there was no better ā€œjust say noā€ campaign for me. I just automatically thought Iā€™d take an ecstasy and end up like her. To this day, Iā€™ve never ever touched it. All my friends did. It certainly shaped my attitude to it. I felt very confident to refuse, without hesitation.

Must have been so very painful for her parents to have shared that photo? But it certainly stopped me from experimenting with it.
We had something similar locally in the late 90s - a 13 year old called Leah Lawson https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/feb/28/johnsweeney.theobserver https://www.thefreelibrary.com/KILL...ad+two+junkie+sisters+but+still...-a060397693.

Her 2 sisters were also drug addicts and her niece (9 at the time) and Nephew also went on to take drugs too and at least the niece is frequently in the paper. Where they were brought up is sadly one of the worst areas of the town for drugs and crime - some people just don't stand a chance. Her parents, especially her mother as her father was often away working, are shadows of themselves - I used to see them around town and they looked 150 years old poor buggers. Feel for them so much it's such a sad situation :(

• Sad
Reactions: 6
The death of PC Andrew Harper a couple of years ago and particularly the cause of his death šŸ˜ž it just makes me so sick and so angry especially seeing the faces of the three gutter rat oxygen thieves who caused it. He had such a kind looking face and was the same age as me. And then when it was announced that he was only married a few weeks before that. I remember looking at his wedding photos in the news and finding it so unbelievably sad that he would be killed just a few weeks later šŸ˜„

Also, the winter cherry fire in Keremovo, Russia in 2018. The fire started in a soft play area in a building which had been converted from a soviet era factory to a shopping and leisure mall. Due to the materials in the soft play it quickly spread and I remember seeing footage of the soft play being engulfed in seconds, bouncy castles exploding etc. It was during a school holiday I think so the majority of deaths were kids and parents šŸ˜” one man lost his whole family. There was also a cinema full of kids on an upper floor - they had no chance. Kids were calling parents to say good bye ā˜¹Due to the layout of the building, and the refurbishment from factory to leisure, meant it had awful fire safety standards apparently. At least 60 died but they reckon it was many more than that and that the final number was a cover up by Russian authorities...
His poor wife and family having to know how he died and how totally avoidable it was must be truly truly heartbreaking.

• Sad
  • Angry
There was an article in the Mirror about Japanese people getting kittens and puppies for their handbags etc and then when they are fully grown getting rid of them and they then get gassed!. There was an interview with a worker from a pet crematorium and he showed all the pets they were beautiful and pedigrees etc and they were just going to be killed. There was also an interview with a lady that rescued the cats and kittens from the chambers. It was absolutely sickening. I know we have problems here but it was really bad.
Anything to do with Whaling and factory ships and dogs and cats been eaten as well, just sickens me. Japan and China and other Asian countries need to be totally pressurized about their animal abuse. It needs to stop.
When I was little 9, My Dad watched a documentary about Pol Pot and the killing fields, there were bodies and skeletons etc, just there thrown in a skip. Little children shouldn't be watching things like this. My Dad was clueless really.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Saffie Roussos dying in the Arianna terrorist attack. I remember painting and watching the news praying she'd be found safe. I absolutely sobbed when it was confirmed she'd died

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I recall watching those terrorists in one of the ex Russia countries, where they held children and parents in the school gym for days Parents and children were so thirsty, they had to drink their own pee. Stuck with me.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I recall watching those terrorists in one of the ex Russia countries, where they held children and parents in the school gym for days Parents and children were so thirsty, they had to drink their own pee. Stuck with me.
The Beslan school attack. I remember that too. I was only thinking about that last week. It was awful wasn't itšŸ˜”

Reactions: 4
Charlene Downes - the young girl that disappeared in Blackpool with no trace. I was always under the impression that she had been groomed and likely attacked by the takeaway owner that was in the news but the full story is awful. He parents were utterly neglectful and there were strong signs of sexual abuse from her father and other men brought to the house. She was therefore ripe for any influential person to abuse her. I wouldn't be surprised if that poor girl was attacked by several men - with her mother no where to help her.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
I always remember a case where a British man and wife were abroad in like Spain or somewhere, and they had a fight so he threw himself off the balcony with his two children. I'm certain one of the kids died and he survived. I remember seeing his face going into court and he looked very distressed and distraught, it was shocking.

Also a really sad case where a family were again abroad, and they died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the apartment. I'm sure the two kids were with their dad and his partner on holiday, and the mum was back home. Heartbreaking.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
- The murder of Lee Rigby.
The place where it happened was only 5 minutes down the road to me. I came back from school that day and then I saw on social media that something terrible has happened in Woolwich. My friends were updating their social media at the time and were shocked as to what was going on. I turned the news on and it was breaking news. I was in shell-shock, I didnā€™t want to believe something so disturbing and heartbreaking could happen to a man who so loved by everyone he knew and so near to your doorstep. I started crying and panicking because my parents were out, they didnā€™t say where they were going to shop but their nearest shopping centre was in the same town. When they came back from shopping, they knew what happened and were shocked. The aftermath was a huge blur, Iā€™ve never seen where I lived, so eerily quiet before, even though this happened so long ago, we will never forget what happened that day and how it couldā€™ve been seriously avoided and Lee couldā€™ve been alive today. My thoughts go out to his family and friends, even today whenever I remember about it.

• Sad
There are 3 that absolutely haunt me. I remember the Beslan School Siege https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_siege going on and what those poor children and parents went through, how scared they must have been breaks my heart.

This is a girl I went to college with and I just donā€™t understand how her partner managed to go on I donā€™t think I could have https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-mcmullan-murder-pregnant-claire-2906152.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....p/18/starved-boy-mummified-corpse-hamzah-khan this poor angel I canā€™t even comprehend how bad it would be to be one of the police officers who discovered him.

Oh my goodness, I have never heard of the Russian school siege, absolutely horrific. Those poor children and their parents! Heartbreaking to read, I canā€™t imagine what they went through

Amber Peat stayed with me. The poor girl was treated appallingly by her step father and completely let down by her Mother too.
Completely agree, he sounded like an awful man and it sounded like Amber led a terribly sad life. He completely got away with how he treated her and her mother stood by him.

Reactions: 2
Have just read the 2 stories of Suzanne Capper and Junko Furata. Omg...absolutely horrific! Those poor poor girls šŸ˜¢ I can't even imagine the agony they must have been in. And some of the perpetrators are free! They should have been jailed for life & the key thown away.
So much evil in the world šŸ˜”
i went to school with Suzannes younger brother, his Dad helped out at school and both were the nicest people.

• Sad
i went to school with Suzannes younger brother, his Dad helped out at school and both were the nicest people.
I have just read up on Suzanne, and I feel physically sick to the pit of my stomach. How could anyone be so evil! I cannot get her out my mind, and what she must have went through. Heartbreaking.

Reactions: 3
The millennium dome heist. The whole story is so fascinating and how the Flying Squad were on to them from the beginning and just followed them was so interesting.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.