Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can never forget the case of Daniel Pelka who was 6 and in the months leading up to his death he was severely beaten and starved by his mum and stepdad. He was so hungry he was caught stealing food from bins at school and apparently looked like a concentration camp victim, but nothing was done. Broke the heart reading about the case and I still get upset thinking about it now 😓
This for me too. How could those teachers not suspect something? They said he was being greedy! Wtf! It makes me so angry thinking about it.
I can still picture his face & I still get teary. He was such a beautiful little boy 😢. The monsters who killed him are both dead & I hope they rot in hell.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Have just read the 2 stories of Suzanne Capper and Junko Furata. Omg...absolutely horrific! Those poor poor girls 😢 I can't even imagine the agony they must have been in. And some of the perpetrators are free! They should have been jailed for life & the key thown away.
So much evil in the world 😡

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Anita Cobby is another one of horrendous, torturous murder of an innocent woman

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Warning - not for the faint hearted as both cases extremely brutal

Jennifer ertman and elizabeth pena murders in texas

The bega schoolgirl murders in australia

Reactions: 3
So wrong that they were released with new identities. One of them has been arrested a few times since, IIRC it was for possession of indecent images. He’s also told people who he really is and recent photos of him were going around on Twitter. Won’t be long until he’s locked up again I think.
Weird my husband and I were talking about this recently how awful it is that someone is mostly likely married with kids and their husband is one of those monsters and had no idea. We always agreed it is disgusting that the tax payer (and James’ mum actually as I’m assuming she pays her taxes!) have indirectly paid for every bit of help they’ve ever had. They should have been kept locked up forever, there’s no way you can rehabilitate someone that sick and twisted.

Reactions: 9
In 2003ish a five-year-old girl was killed after being carried away entangled in the ropes of a hot air balloon ripped from its stand. She was found miles away. Utterly horrific. The poor parents. Life can be unbelievably cruel.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
In 2003ish a five-year-old girl was killed after being carried away entangled in the ropes of a hot air balloon ripped from its stand. She was found miles away. Utterly horrific. The poor parents. Life can be unbelievably cruel.
Gosh, I remember that. Similar to that poor girl who died on a bouncy castle recently.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Murder of Victoria Climbié - horrible case that breaks my heart

9/11 - i was 6

London bombings - happened while my dad was commuting to work and we were worried

Baby P - breaks my heart

Murder of Jimmy Mizen - i grew up nearby

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
That was my hometown. The beach was filled with flowers for her. The business never reopened.
We were there a few days before for the shooting of that ‘Yesterday’ film. So sad to see the images on the news from such a boost for the town one day to such tragedy the next.

One that has always stuck with me is the 2007 disappearance of Andrew Gosden, the teenager from Doncaster who skipped school one day to get the train to London and was never seen again. It blows my mind that he could just vanish into thin air with no leads. I remember reading an interview years later where his dad said the family couldn’t bring themselves to move house just in case he ever came home, because when he disappeared he had his key with him. Heartbreaking.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Not exactly a news story. In a magazine, Take a Break I think there was a series of articles about a mum who had leukaemia. I followed her progress for ages and she did recover. I remember she lived on Firethorn Close in Gillingham, Kent and had two daughters, Ebony and Destiny. I often wonder how she is doing now. Strange how some stories stay with you.

• Heart
Not exactly a news story. In a magazine, Take a Break I think there was a series of articles about a mum who had leukaemia. I followed her progress for ages and she did recover. I remember she lived on Firethorn Close in Gillingham, Kent and had two daughters, Ebony and Destiny. I often wonder how she is doing now. Strange how some stories stay with you.
There is a Take a Break story from years ago that stuck with me too, it was about a little girl called Shona who died of cancer. Her parents set up a charity in her name called Shona's Smile.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
9/11 and dunblane for me. Will always remember watching the mums crying and running into the school to see if their babies were safe or not! Awful, poor babies. Arrived home just to see 2nd plane hitting twin towers, was like watching a movie! Still unbelievable to think that happened, definitely shook the world!

There was an awful story a couple of years ago near where I previously lived. A man called Joseph McCann raped and kidnapped various children and women over the space of a few days, including a young boy and a 71 year old woman. Horrified me because it all happened so near to me and the supermarket where he kidnapped the 71 year old, was one I used to go to.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
One that will always stick with me is the heart-wrenching case of Ana Kriegel in Ireland, it was quite reminiscent of the James Bulger case.
How some children can be so evil...

• Sad
Reactions: 3
The murder of Libby Squire. So recent and it for some reason really stuck with me. I was her age at the time and i just couldn’t imagine how her loved ones felt. It really struck a chord with me that things can just change in an instant.

The murder of British schoolgirl Caroline Dickinson in France in 1996. She was raped & murdered in her bed in a youth hostel while her friends were sleeping in the same room.

• Sad
I think for me at the moment, it’s a lot of the news stories that were round this time last year about the Corona virus, it was very downplayed and even some stories saying how it was hard to transmit from person to person.
We then saw how awful it had got in Italy but life was still very much normal here...and then 2 weeks later a Boris announced what is now known as lockdown 1! Such a strange and anxious time.

As an aside to the news, I remember my boss saying I might have a couple of weeks working from home....I’m still here!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.