Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All the well known ones, 9/11, London bombings, James Bulger..

Another one that sticks in my head is from about 20ish years ago when a nanny shook a child to death - I was young at the time and all I remember is the nanny was shown in court recreating the movement she did when she held the child, I believe her first name was Grace but I could be wrong and she received 15 years in jail. I’ve tried googling to follow up but can’t find anything.
Was it Louise? I remember that story she blamed the parents

Reactions: 2
That guy that threw the poor kiddie off The Tate,he is in Broadmoor and already caused more problems being violenT.

my god so dangerous.
That was unbelievable. The poor child 😓

Another one that sticks in my head is from about 20ish years ago when a nanny shook a child to death - I was young at the time and all I remember is the nanny was shown in court recreating the movement she did when she held the child, I believe her first name was Grace but I could be wrong and she received 15 years in jail. I’ve tried googling to follow up but can’t find anything.
Was it Louise? I remember that story she blamed the parents
It’s the Louise Woodward case

Reactions: 3
Did anyone hear of the Gable Tostee case? That really stuck with me and I still think about it. He met a girl on Tinder and took her to his apartment which was on the 14th floor on the Gold Coast. They were drinking and got into an argument and he locked her on his balcony which she went over and died. He was found not guilty of causing her death but it was very chilling because they’d taken a lot of pictures together and he recorded most of their evening on his phone, something he said he did so he couldn’t be accused of anything (he met lots of girls on Tinder) the argument could be heard and her screaming as she went over. I just thought it was so awful. He fled the apartment and went and got a pizza then called his dad to pick him up 😧

Whats awful too is he kind of lives off the notoriety now, giving dating tips online and just generally feeling very full of himself. He didn’t push her, no, but I would just feel awful if I’d been caught up in something like that and wouldn’t be trying to become ‘well known’ off the back of it. It must have been awful for that poor girl and her family, a terrible way to die and I think the neighbour in the flat below witnessed it and was very shaken at seeing her fall

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I remember this. I was living on the gold coast not long after this and you wouldn't believe the amount of times I'd look up at the blocks of apartments and imagine the poor woman , even now I think about it.

• Sad
All the well known ones, 9/11, London bombings, James Bulger..

I never believed Louise was guilty. It was trial by media.
At the time she said she popped the baby on the bed. Apparently popped was considered violent in the US wheras it is not in the UK.
Louise was released after less than a year.

Reactions: 6
I think the missing persons and unfortunately later murder case of Hannah Graham has always stuck with me. The CCTV, the clips of Jesse Matthews seeing and then following her, her young age and the fact she was originally from the U.K. Also doesn’t help that she had over plucked her very unique eyebrows so that led to some cruel comments in the media which also led to the story being kept in the media (double edged sword it seems). I think when they found her she wasn’t in the best state and so they couldn’t determine what was it that killed her but with catching Matthews they also found the killer for another case that hadn’t been solved. Sadly Hannah and Morgan (the other victim) will be forever linked together.

• Sad
Was this Louise Woodward or a different story? I've no idea why but I always remember the nannys name in this story 😩

There are quite a few that stick in my mind for various reasons.

A few local ones to me:
a mother was driving with her children and crossed over onto the other lane and all in the car died but the thing that I often think about is that other family members were driving in front and witnessed it all including the father/husband. I cant imagine witnessing that and being powerless.

A young boy was left in a caravan in a caravan park with a dog whilst his mother went and got drunk with some friends in another caravan. Something happened in that caravan and the dog attacked the boy and he died from blood loss from bites to his head. He was 9 years old and alone. I remember hearing it on the news and thinking about that little boy all alone and how scared he must have been. Hoping that someone would come and help him.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Josef Fritzl yet? The man imprisoned his own daughter in a dungeon he built specifically for her and raped her for 24 years, he burned her baby that died in an incinerator. I remember his mugshot gave me chills as a teenager, the man was a monster with no remorse.

But probably the WORST thing I have ever read (my eyes actually water every time I think about it) is a Japanese girl named Junko Furata. This girl was tortured for weeks by three boys in Japan, the stuff they did to her is unimaginable (dropped anvils on his stomach, cut her eyelids off, ripped bits of her off with pliers and much more). I would highly encourage you NOT to read any more about this because I thought my flatmate was exaggerating when he told me not to look it up, of course being an idiot, I looked it up. I've never felt so disturbed in my entire life. The worst thing is these three boys got away with it!! They got given new identities and they literally out there somewhere in Japan today. What the actual duck.

As for animal abuse stories in the news (like the lady putting the cat in the bin, I remember reading about people putting their kittens in microwaves and one lady put her kitten in a washing machine), I genuinely think people who abuse animals should be put in some kind of Hunger Games where they're all made to kill each other and then the winner gets killed anyway. I volunteer at the RSPCA and the state some cats come in is horrid. We had a kitten with chemical burns in the other month, and another cat came in because its owner was filmed mistreating it. I hate the human race sometimes.
I have looked up that case. Oh my goodness, how evil those men were. That poor girl. I am crying at how awful her last moments were. I know you said not to look at it, I would advise others not to.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I just looked up Junko Furuta. That poor girl. Absolutely horrific
I looked it up too- horrific beyond words. What’s even more disturbing is not only were the murders RELEASED from prison after committing all of that torture - one of them
Went on to murder again. Makes you sick knowing people like that are about.

a few stuck with me -
9/11 I remember being sent home from school.
maddie McCann
Sarah and Jessica
Rhys Jones

Always think about wee Brendan Gorrie at this time of year. I was in his class at school and I always remember seeing his school photo in the newspaper when he died. Never found out the full story until years later though.

Realising it was actually on Christmas morning still breaks my heart to think about even now. That little boy should have been excitedly opening his Christmas presents like the rest of us did and he never got that chance 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 4
A local one to me is from 22/12/2014 when a bin lorry driver became unconscious while driving and mounted the pavement injuring several people and then crashing into a building at George Square in Glasgow. 6 deaths and some poor woman lost her daughter and both of her parents due to it. 6 years later and I still haven’t walked through George Square despite my old tradition of going to the Christmas markets there every year.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I was at Glastonbury when the Tunisia attack happened and turned my phone on to check messages while everyone in our group went to the toilet, I had texts from my mum reassuring me that our family friends who were in Tunisia at the time had escaped unharmed, I don't even know an attack had happened, i felt guilt for not even knowing. Our family friends are an older couple in their 70s and they played dead on the beach, the scariest part was that the sunbeds they usually used on that beach were taken when they got there so they moved further up the beach; their usual sunbeds were the nearest one to the attackers and the people on those beds sadly died.

I've just listened to a 3 part podcast on Josef Fritzel and learned so much, Elizabeth is an incredible woman. I knew the basics of the case but how she survived what she did and got her kids up daily and homeschooled them and tried to make their life as normal as possible Is incredible

The Junko Furata case in horrific, again I listened to a podcast recently on it - I couldn't even listen to it all, those boys were monsters.
What podcasts did you listen to on the Fritzel case and also poor Junko Furata?

The alesha macphail murder

I remember being on the other side of the water from the island in the early morning when she was first missing. Seeing the amount of emergency services getting the ferry across to help local officers we knew something awful had happened. I followed the news right through the trial and it’s horrible knowing that because he was a “young offender” he’s now just up the road in Polmont YOI

What podcasts did you listen to on the Fritzel case and also poor Junko Furata?
RedHanded have done an episode(s) on both of these. I haven’t listened to the Junko one. I once heard her story by accident on a podcast and I’ve vowed to never read Or listen to anything to do with it no matter how intrigued I feel.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.