Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Colin Pitchfork, a double sex-killer, the first to be convicted by DNA. I live in Leicestershire where he carried out the crimes and the case was running in the local news from his first murder in 1983 till his conviction in 1988.

He's actually up for a parole hearing soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Some other stories not mentioned here:

The murder of Becky Watts - I had a newborn baby when this was unfolding and I was horrified.

Jo Yeates going missing so close to christmas on a slow news week then being found. The treatment of her whacky landlord by the press was appalling. The ITV drama The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies is a brilliant watch.

Also a few more local to me in Dorset so hit close to home:

Gaia Pope disappeared in Swanage in 2017 and I remember the search for her well. They found her body and ruled she had died of exposure. She was so troubled and sad and the police messed up the search so it made me very sad.

Heather Barnett's murder and found by her kids haunted me as her killer was uncaught for so long. He was linked to a crime in italy and that's how he was caught. I used to clean houses on that street too so was quite distressing .

And also the parents who covered up when their son murdered his girlfriend: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...spiring-model-girlfriend-17-jealous-rage.html

Lots of bleak stories from me there 😔
I’m Dorset too! These stories will stick with me forever too. I knew a few people related to the last two cases you mention. So horrible.

Reactions: 1
Another one for me is the murder of Rhys Jones, it’s bad enough he was caught up in crossfire but then for all those parents to lie about it, it was way beyond anything that I as a parent could imagine, if my son had done anything like that I would’ve shopped him right away

• Sad
Reactions: 14

The murder of Becky Watts - I had a newborn baby when this was unfolding and I was horrified.

Jo Yeates going missing so close to christmas on a slow news week then being found. The treatment of her whacky landlord by the press was appalling. The ITV drama The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies is a brilliant watch.

Gaia Pope disappeared in Swanage in 2017 and I remember the search for her well. They found her body and ruled she had died of exposure. She was so troubled and sad and the police messed up the search so it made me very sad.

Heather Barnett's murder and found by her kids haunted me as her killer was uncaught for so long. He was linked to a crime in italy and that's how he was caught. I used to clean houses on that street too so was quite distressing .

And also the parents who covered up when their son murdered his girlfriend: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...spiring-model-girlfriend-17-jealous-rage.html

I live in Dorset too so the Gaia story was close to home. Very sad. And so many mistakes and wasted time

I met Elliott Turner a few times as my friend dated him, she had a restraining order out in the end as he kept trying to break into her family home when she dumped him. He was everything he was described as, utterly obnoxious.

Reactions: 3
I live in Dorset too so the Gaia story was close to home. Very sad. And so many mistakes and wasted time

I met Elliott Turner a few times as my friend dated him, she had a restraining order out in the end as he kept trying to break into her family home when she dumped him. He was everything he was described as, utterly obnoxious.
Wow I just read that original article. She was so far out of his league I can't believe they were together in the first place, absolutely gorgeous woman. Men like that most usually have enabler parents in my experience, they've never ever been called out on their bullshit or had to face real consequences.

Reactions: 3
The Soham murders poor Jessica and Holly. I will never forget watching the news every day hoping for good news. On GMTV one morning a woman was telling a reporter she had seen the girls walking along a few days after they went missing. To this day I cannot understand how she could have made something up and given hope to the parents.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Wow I just read that original article. She was so far out of his league I can't believe they were together in the first place, absolutely gorgeous woman. Men like that most usually have enabler parents in my experience, they've never ever been called out on their bullshit or had to face real consequences.
Yeah it was awful, her poor family. His parents had utterly spoilt him and when I knew him he had quite the recreational drug problem.

Yeah it was awful, her poor family. His parents had utterly spoilt him and when I knew him he had quite the recreational drug problem.
Yep all of that set did. I hated going to the bars they all frequented. Klute, BarSo, Jimmys, Cafe Shore etc.

There was a doc on channel 5 about it and on the crime scene where he held her face into the pillow to kill her there was literally an imprint of her face in make up 😭

• Sad
Yep all of that set did. I hated going to the bars they all frequented. Klute, BarSo, Jimmys, Cafe Shore etc.

There was a doc on channel 5 about it and on the crime scene where he held her face into the pillow to kill her there was literally an imprint of her face in make up 😭
I loved all those places when I was at college 😂not so much those people!
I know absolutely horrific, my friend dumped him after he choked her.. I can’t imagine how she felt when that girl died.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Stumbled on this thread and read back but don't think anyone has mentioned the Billie Jo Jenkins case? It was such a strange, un-nerving case - I remember her pretty school photo being everywhere and her strange step father.

Reactions: 9
Stumbled on this thread and read back but don't think anyone has mentioned the Billie Jo Jenkins case? It was such a strange, un-nerving case - I remember her pretty school photo being everywhere and her strange step father.
It was a very interesting (and sad) case. The blood spatter exhalation explanations I found really interesting at the time. I still don't know what I believe in terms of S. Jenkins guilt or innocence.

I was at Glastonbury when the Tunisia attack happened and turned my phone on to check messages while everyone in our group went to the toilet, I had texts from my mum reassuring me that our family friends who were in Tunisia at the time had escaped unharmed, I don't even know an attack had happened, i felt guilt for not even knowing. Our family friends are an older couple in their 70s and they played dead on the beach, the scariest part was that the sunbeds they usually used on that beach were taken when they got there so they moved further up the beach; their usual sunbeds were the nearest one to the attackers and the people on those beds sadly died.

There was a blogger...a girl called Carly Lovett who was killed in the Tunisia beach attacks.
I've just listened to a 3 part podcast on Josef Fritzel and learned so much, Elizabeth is an incredible woman. I knew the basics of the case but how she survived what she did and got her kids up daily and homeschooled them and tried to make their life as normal as possible Is incredible

Jamie Bulger
Suzanne Capper, this was very close to home, made me very worried as it was just after Jamie Bulger's murder.
Victoria Climbiè
Shafilea Ahmed
Tia Sharpe
There are so many abuse stories that stick in my mind, including all the above and the Lost Prophets singer/paedophile. Elizabeth Fritzl. Fred and Rose West. Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, many years before my time but regularly on the news in my teens. Myra Hindley was brought up very close to where I lived and her mother was still in the local area. So many stories of suffering and families having to live on knowing that their loved ones suffered.

Also, the Alder Hey hospital scandal where body parts were retained without permission or knowledge of the deceased people's relatives
The Junko Furata case in horrific, again I listened to a podcast recently on it - I couldn't even listen to it all, those boys were monsters.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Josef Fritzl yet? The man imprisoned his own daughter in a dungeon he built specifically for her and raped her for 24 years, he burned her baby that died in an incinerator. I remember his mugshot gave me chills as a teenager, the man was a monster with no remorse.

But probably the WORST thing I have ever read (my eyes actually water every time I think about it) is a Japanese girl named Junko Furata. This girl was tortured for weeks by three boys in Japan, the stuff they did to her is unimaginable (dropped anvils on his stomach, cut her eyelids off, ripped bits of her off with pliers and much more). I would highly encourage you NOT to read any more about this because I thought my flatmate was exaggerating when he told me not to look it up, of course being an idiot, I looked it up. I've never felt so disturbed in my entire life. The worst thing is these three boys got away with it!! They got given new identities and they literally out there somewhere in Japan today. What the actual duck.

As for animal abuse stories in the news (like the lady putting the cat in the bin, I remember reading about people putting their kittens in microwaves and one lady put her kitten in a washing machine), I genuinely think people who abuse animals should be put in some kind of Hunger Games where they're all made to kill each other and then the winner gets killed anyway. I volunteer at the RSPCA and the state some cats come in is horrid. We had a kitten with chemical burns in the other month, and another cat came in because its owner was filmed mistreating it. I hate the human race sometimes.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I was at Glastonbury when the Tunisia attack happened and turned my phone on to check messages while everyone in our group went to the toilet, I had texts from my mum reassuring me that our family friends who were in Tunisia at the time had escaped unharmed, I don't even know an attack had happened, i felt guilt for not even knowing. Our family friends are an older couple in their 70s and they played dead on the beach, the scariest part was that the sunbeds they usually used on that beach were taken when they got there so they moved further up the beach; their usual sunbeds were the nearest one to the attackers and the people on those beds sadly died.

I've just listened to a 3 part podcast on Josef Fritzel and learned so much, Elizabeth is an incredible woman. I knew the basics of the case but how she survived what she did and got her kids up daily and homeschooled them and tried to make their life as normal as possible Is incredible

The Junko Furata case in horrific, again I listened to a podcast recently on it - I couldn't even listen to it all, those boys were monsters.
What was the josef fritzl podcast called please?

It was a very interesting (and sad) case. The blood spatter exhalation explanations I found really interesting at the time. I still don't know what I believe in terms of S. Jenkins guilt or innocence.
I don‘t know either, he was an odd man for sure, but that doesn’t make someone guilty of murder.

Interestingly his wife believed he was guilty, divorced him and I think went to live with their kids in Australia or possibly New Zealand.

I don‘t know either, he was an odd man for sure, but that doesn’t make someone guilty of murder.

Interestingly his wife believed he was guilty, divorced him and I think went to live with their kids in Australia or possibly New Zealand.
I read about that last night and remember thinking he did it at the time. I accept the evidence doesn't seem to be completely clear but the fact that she divorced him makes me think he did it.

I’m a bit confused by Gaia’s death - she was suffering from epilepsy and mental health problems due to her attacker being released from prison (?) and she was found naked but does anyone know what caused her to take her clothes off, was she having a breakdown?

They were meant to meet over the summer but I bet Covid has prevented this and pushed the case back further. Lots of cases I read about China and how they treat people, very weird society and culture.

I’m a bit confused by Gaia’s death - she was suffering from epilepsy and mental health problems due to her attacker being released from prison (?) and she was found naked but does anyone know what caused her to take her clothes off, was she having a breakdown?

They were meant to meet over the summer but I bet Covid has prevented this and pushed the case back further. Lots of cases I read about China and how they treat people, very weird society and culture.
I read that people can become very disorientated when they are hypothermic (and close to death) and start to believe they are too hot, hence they take clothes off.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.